Spoiler Tang Jia San Shao sucks at ending his novels... Has he ever heard of an epilogue?!

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Sythellri, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Sythellri

Sythellri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read Child of Light, Divine Throne, Douluo Dalu 1&2, Skyfire Avenue and Heavenly Jewel Change.

Except for child of light, every single one of his novels shares common traits: amazing setting, intricate world building, interesting cultivation and likable characters. They also, unfortunately, share flaws mainly the endings. He is so good at writing the beginning and the middle parts of his novels but absolutely sucks when it comes to ending them. In every single one of his novels, I feel like dropping it the instant the main character starts to become a God. Instantaneously, you get these repeated time skips and extreme power ups that absolutely ruined the pacing and feel of the novel.

I'm just mad that he ruin his own novels' potential thus my rant.

kainee, Icha and moevora like this.
  2. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay~ thanks for sharing your opinion I guess

3. Demonic Reader lv 451F

Demonic Reader lv 451F 蝶醒, 梦未.

Reading List:
    Link

Not sure.

His real talent is not writing epilogue. He can only write something that satisfies million people and get billion yuan back from Chinese people and companies.

asriu likes this.
  4. leedalys

leedalys Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well i never ended any of the novel. But if I were to compare. The novel All you need is kill end at just after an epic moment. With no epilogue and no happy ever after. And no drama too. Like as if it never ended. But I quite like it's ending, and I think the novel potential was here. That it has no epilogue. Well, hope you can understand what I just said x)
    (english is not my mother language :p)

5. MungMan

MungMan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think his novels stand out a bit from the others because of the ways he explores characters. That aside, he is not a particularly good writer and I often find weird problems with his work. Some of his novels are bewildering in the way they are written, Child of Light comes to mind and don't get me started on Zither Emperor.

6. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it better or worse than how I Eat Tomato end his novels? Havent seen any TJSS ending.

7. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    Some authors just aren't very skilled at ending a novel, or series.
    Take for example: Stephen King. Most love his work, however, the most commin criticism, is that his endings aren't the best, and are even bad. Depending on who you talk to. Some just aren't skilled in ending novels, or series.

8. Sythellri

Sythellri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Worse.
    I ET at least tells you that they live happily ever after. TJSS doesn't even do that! It's like right after the final battle and the enemies die, it ends.

Asf likes this.
  9. MungMan

MungMan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Better in my opinion because I can't stand IET works. People constantly recommend CD, and I just found the whole thing boring as all hell. At least TJSS doesn't spend 50 chapters on a single battle and zero on character development.

Asf likes this.
  10. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm ... I dunno about Duoluo Dalu 1 & 2. I mean, the novels were ended in a way you'd expect from a xianxia novel - the MC becomes an immortal (Literally, xianxia means "Immortal Hero", and novels in the genre have the MC cultivating until they reach immortality). The novels were ended in a way that depicted the MC and his SO happy for the moment, and not happy ever after because TJSS has other novels that cover their adventures after that point. None of them are at NU at the moment tho. (Yes, there's a novel where Tang San plus the rest of the original Shrek Seven Devils and Huo Yuhao team up :D :D :D)

I kinda forget the specifics of the ending of Heavenly Jewel Change, but from what I remember it ended in a positive note too, with no opponent left remaining for Zhou Weiqing and the only problem for him is having to make sure he properly satisfies all the members of his harem.

Divine Throne ending was a bit abrupt for me, but I kinda liked the twist they gave at the end. It's open ended as well, with references to other worlds that could still be fleshed out.

What I like about the novels I mentioned above though, is that at one point or another they're interlinked. I can take those novels not having an epilogue of sorts if I keep in mind that TJSS might pick up where he left off in another novel, further exploring the links between those stories the way he did with the DD1/2

Zhou Weiqing got his powers from a netherworld tiger Tang San beat up. It's spirit escaped through a kinda dimensional hole, which Zhou then encountered in the forest. Also, Tang San personally meets up with Zhou later on, helps out, and invites him to replace one of his roles as an immortal.

One of the powers Huo Yuhao has is based on a fragment of a spirit that came from the Divine Throne world.

11. athlonkmf

athlonkmf Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You might consider the DD2.5 slash DD3 prologue to be the epilogue to DD1+2 AND Magic Chef of Fire & Ice. What else needs to be done?
    HJC pretty much has a solid ending too.

Once the MC gets supremely strong, they pretty much should just finish of their arch nemesis. A lot of lesser authors simply introduce some "stronger" opponents just to give the MC something to do and drag the story longer. I find that kinda cheap actually. The MC of DD1 and 2 has always been there. Always hanging as a damascus blade above the MC's head, forcing him to more forward. But the execution of DD2 is better.

12. hei7oo

hei7oo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm quite used to lackluster endings (it's not that big of a deal considering how hard it is to write a satisfying conclusion to any kind of story) but the thing I'm really annoyed about is his favorite "damsel in a vegetable state" trop. Seriously, I've already read 3 of his works and every single one featured the scenario where main female character was crippled to the extreme at some point in the story. I find this disturbing.

Shio likes this.
  13. rheasa

rheasa Unsatiable onee-san

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, i hope that one day he writes a novel where the. MC is the one in coma