Tech People

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Adkiyota, Jan 5, 2018.

1. otoshi-god

otoshi-god "Alive";[False Illusionist]

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

2. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The space required for a microATX case might not be that great, but you also require a desk to accommodate a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. If you live in New York City while not making 6 figures per year, you're likely either in a tiny apartment or sharing an apartment with a few people. In these scenarios, space is at a premium, and finding enough space for one person to have the required space for all that is unlikely, let alone having enough space for all residents to have a desk.

3. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been existing for a decade. I don't believe it was found just now. I presume it was revealed because somebody "dangerous" has found it.

4. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They're rather obscure vulnerabilities. Two of the three issues were found by Google. The third was found by three independent research groups. Intel and the other various parties involved in testing and patching were made aware in June (I think) about them. It's not impossible for them to have been found by bad actors before they were discovered and disclosed, but there's no evidence of their use in the wild.

5. Siebzehn

Siebzehn 95% Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    1. press the window button on the far left-bottem corner
    2. type "cmd" in the searchbox
    3. press enter
    4. type in the new window the command "winver"
    5. press enter
    6. in the new window you will be able to see the build of windows

Does it help? btw, sorry for my bad english

6. zamornews

zamornews Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    windows update should roll out by next week if not already. you dont have to worry as both Apple and Microsoft are making the update mandatory which means you will get it very soon unless youre one of those that always decline the updates until an actual issue pops up.

7. Recklezz

Recklezz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have nothing to worry about, if a hacker with malicious intent did want your data, he/she would have to filter through all your data, and apply algorithms just to sort and extract the stuff. To extract vital information, would take considerable time and effort, not something a hacker would do to a target, he/she isn't sure is worth it.

:Edit
    Building your own machine doesn't prevent anything, although it might make it easier to replace faulty parts, because of experience. The Core of this hack is that it is from the CPU to the internal cache, which holds information. Which might lead to the hacker being able to gain full access (Information about the Kernel and data)

Only new CPUs should prevent this hack though =D

8. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL!

Did ya reboot after the update? Do a manual reboot, especially if you already did the recommended reboot after the update. If ind Windows update manager to be an idiot at times.

If you're behind a firewall and router, the chances of this hack are non existent, unless you frequent sites with a lot of malware infections.

Install Firefox, install addons to suppress Java and adware blockers and you will be safe.

9. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    if you cant fit a desk in your room you are either living in a literal closet like 2x1.5 meter room and/or have bad planning. also cases can get really slim and be fitted to the underside of the table to save space.

kinda irrelevant to op's question though as its a chip problem and if you have that chip it doesn't really matter if you put it on the mobo or if an asian kid in a sweatshop did it

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  10. IMM

IMM 『X.O.X.O』

Reading List:
    Link
    got an update yesterday don't know if it was meant to fix it. got a tower btw :D

11. CraaYa

CraaYa Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is really nothing to worry about, as someone who is studying IT i know that there are easier ways to get where you want to on someone else pc, and yet no one does it becouse even that has no point, people are trying to get into the banks or to precious information(not just personal), normal users are really not the targets, no one will bother with you.
    Hope it eases your worries.

GekkoZockt likes this.
  12. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    Relax. Flaw only targetting new architecture cpu.

13. Adkiyota

Adkiyota Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey got a question it about intel. This is their statement:
    Systems using Intel ME Firmware versions 6.x-11.x, servers using SPS Firmware version 4.0, and systems using TXE version 3.0 are impacted. You may find these firmware versions on certain processors from the:

• 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th generation Intel® Core™ Processor Families
    • Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1200 v5 and v6 Product Family
    • Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family
    • Intel® Xeon® Processor W Family
    • Intel Atom® C3000 Processor Family
    • Apollo Lake Intel Atom® Processor E3900 series
    • Apollo Lake Intel® Pentium® Processors
    • Intel® Pentium® Processor G Series
    • Intel® Celeron® G, N, and J series Processors

So is my inlet processes is ok or what? Also if not please tell me were to find this information on my system

14. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Check here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...stems-for-the-meltdown-and-spectre-cpu-flaws/

You need to know if your AV is compatible with the windows update. Verify if your AV has added the required registry key (Microsoft require this so it won't cause BSOD):

If not you can add it manually or use the provided reg file in the link above. (you can find it under "The whole mess with anti-virus programs") Then try running "Check for Updates" again.

If your still not receiving the updates run PowerShell (you'll need at least PowerShell 5.1) then follow the guide in the proveided link above it's under "How can you check the status of the patches?"

15. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If someone hasn't yet received an update via Windows Update, it's likely because the AV software that's running on the system might conflict with the patch and cause a blue screen or even require a reformat or rollback. Adding the registry value should only be done after confirming that your AV won't do that. Otherwise, you might bork your system.

16. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    IIRC, the flaw affects LLVM/Clang, which causes drastic slowdowns on VMs and Hypervisor implementations. To the best of my knowledge home and small business computing solutions are relatively unaffected. Had to look into this all day today for my job, so your home PC is safe. Chill

17. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's only in the auto updates for Windows 10, need to wait until the 9th on previous versions of Windows or possibly download it from the Microsoft site.

18. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp some special AV out there :blobsmirk: didn't add the registry key even after making their product compatible with the windows update.

I did say verify if your AV is compatible with the update.

19. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The performance penalty incurred from the kernel level fix is most noticeable for enterprise uses like VMs or large databases that execute a lot of transactions, but that doesn't mean the vulnerability doesn't also impact regular users. With the new kernel patch, basically every call to the kernel space (mostly RAM) has to be checked prior to executing the call. This creates extra latency for each call, so applications that do a lot of reading and writing to RAM are going to be the most effected. That said, everyone should be patching.

20. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    First, from the way you used your words there, i think you're mistaken something. Your OS build SHOULD ONLY be that number AFTER getting the updates, not when you get that buid number, you will get the updates. Sorry if it was me who's misunderstood you.

Anyway if you still haven't got any updates, check for your OS build first to check either you already got it without realizing or not yet, if your OS is the number you mentioned, then yes you already updated, no worries.
    Below is how to check for OS Build

If after checking, its not the same number as you mentioned, then you're not updated yet. If you're using antivirus other than Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essential, that antivirus might be the reason why you didnt get the update yet.

If you didnt use any other antivirus other than the one i said above, you can just download and install the update manually without using windows update (as instructed in the link you put there).

But beware that manually updates might break your OS if done wrong, so try making some research (from google and youtube) before installing the update manually