Tech People

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Adkiyota, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Adkiyota

Adkiyota Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok I will take that as is and I will keep an eye out for anything. I will try to keep people posted, Also if something become clearer please let me knew.

2. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Intel mentioned that your OS build will be like that if you already got the update.

This is because the update comes with modifying the OS build number in order to show if its updated or not, so if its not updated the OS number wont also be like that, and would be impossible to be like that.

Most of the times, intel would show all of the updates in the history, but not all. Even as a junior programmer, i knows that excluding an update from being in history isn't that hard, and this is especially true in Windows 8 and above, especially windows 10.

In windows 10, even if you disable updates, security updates (like virus definition etc) will still be installed under windows defender, so sometimes it wont shows on windows update, i knows about this because i disabled my windows update permanently.

So if you already have the OS build number correct, that means you're updated, no doubt and no worries.

Also, you dont actually need to be worry dear, that flaw isn't a virus, it is just a tiny loophole in the system, that most likely won't be found by normal hacker or ransomware.

Unless you're someone rich or an important figure, hacker and such wont even be interested in blackmailing you.

3. GekkoZockt

GekkoZockt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The cnet article only talks about meltdown and not about spectre. So even if you have the patch installed you'll still be vulnerable against the spectre feature. Spectre is a different vulnerability that exploits speculative execution, which that is a lot harder to fix. I wish I could go into more detail but my left hand is broken so typing is a major pain in the a**.

Although this is a huge problem, there is not a whole lot you can do. Disable JavaScript and you'll be fine as a consumer.

To all those people who say you are fine after installing a patch, no you're not. This is the internet and if a capable hacker wants to access your pc, he will. You should not fear that hackers invade your system but fear what data they could get.

Edit: For those more interested how the whole thing actually works: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/why-raspberry-pi-isnt-vulnerable-to-spectre-or-meltdown/
    This article does a great job explaining things relatively easy to understand.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  4. Khajiit_Is_Innocent

Khajiit_Is_Innocent Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do also check web browsers. Mainstream web browsers are affected too (or those based on them ex. Firefox & Chrome), Mozilla has already released a version to fix their vulnerability and for Google Chrome in a few weeks or so. (welp.. Google already knows everything about you (data and passwords), i guess no rush then)

5. Yowj99

Yowj99 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe the window is updating in the background

6. Aurega

Aurega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems to me to be a pretty extensive list of Dell products, if yours aren't on there you should contact Dell about it. Now i don't know your model number, but as you can see, most products are scheduled for an update before february.

7. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    You guys are just too paranoid.. Relax, it's not like our life is over when meltdown attack...
    #backtobasic

AliceShiki likes this.
  8. Yowj99

Yowj99 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What?!

9. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like I was wrong. Meltdown is mostly fixed by an OS patch. Spectre requires both an OS patch and a BIOS update. Intel needs to push out microcode updates to motherboard makers. Those motherboard makers, in turn, will push out BIOS updates. You can find the update from either your motherboard maker, if you built your own PC, or your system builder, if you purchased a pre-built PC or laptop. The BIOS update will be slow to roll out since it will need to be created and tested for each motherboard model before being released.

As you can imagine, that is a massive task for companies that have released hundreds of models of motherboards over the last decade. As of right now, I'm only aware of Asus releasing a BIOS update for their newest Z370 line of motherboards. As time goes on, those updates should trickle down to older and older motherboards. No one is really sure how far back each motherboard manufacturer is going to go with updates. So, if you have a 10 year old CPU chipset, you may be waiting a while for an update, assuming one is released at all.

10. Adkiyota

Reading List:
    Link
    I finally got the update to window!!:blobhighfive::blobhighfive:
    OS Build is 16299.192
    Update #: KB4056892

11. Enchantress

Enchantress Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    same problem tho

it's good

lmao

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2018
  12. otoshi-god

otoshi-god "Alive";[False Illusionist]

Reading List:
    Link
    i need to upgrade my GPU.....

13. Enchantress

Enchantress Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Much better

14. Adkiyota

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello I found a more helpful information. I check most of this and I do not see my processor be updated. You can check and see if you can see your processor.
    http://www.dell.com/support/article...cve-2017-5754-impact-on-dell-products?lang=en
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...de-channel-analysis-and-intel-products.html#2
    https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00088&languageid=en-fr

15. Adkiyota

Reading List:
    Link
    When I use support assist I get a notification on windows that a system bios update is available and it important but when I search the version it give me on dell support and online. I can't find it anywhere

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018