LCD The Amber Sword

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Yuki, Mar 6, 2016.

1. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean it wasn't that different regarding the story itself. Fixing inconsistences is fine.

c0debreaker6 likes this.
  2. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    let me be honest, I'm going to read both translators versions anyway so none of this arguing back and forth have anything to do with me~

myurikko, LazyLuong and Wowafay like this.
  3. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I already read way past current translation in MTL since over a year ago, but come back every once in a while to read wolfie's. So yeah
    Now I haven't actually read the ending, so idk. But yes Wolfie mostly fixed inconsistencies.

Things that come to mind compared to MTL was how Brendel was blaming those innocent guys for Brendel's own mistake back in that mine where he got the Sword, and he was going to not save them in the trial but he ended up doing it as a freebie kind of.

In wolfie's it's changed so he prioritizes the rewards since they were more important. Instead of being antagonistic to those miners he was just indifferent.

There's that battle somewhere with that blind girl that's the wife of that kid Makarov and those guys had an eye on, don't really remember the name, iirc he was a really powerful kid from that Mercenary gang? Anyway that blind girl "looked" at MC even though she's blind...

Then there's the minor edits like just removing word padding etc.

I just binge read read quite a few chapters yesterday and I don't remember which chapter (I think it might've been when or right after Brendel talks with Dragon of Darkness?) but Wolfie mentioned that while he wouldn't be changing the ending he's changing something right before the ending.

I don't actually remember how that chapter compares to the original since I read the MTL over a year ago. But at least according to wolfie that might be a significant enough change for it to be a "completely different" story. IDK

I do agree with you that it's probably not going to be difficult to continue the novel with another translation, it's just going to be a little or a lot worse compared to reading wolfie (other than the translation speed ofc :blobsweat_2:)

But with that said if I personally just wanted to read fast I can just read CN MTL, which I've already done. So for those who expect quality will just have to continue to wait for a long time, at least if we're assuming that Wolfie continues to translate.

myurikko, c0debreaker6 and l2ose like this.
  4. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've tried to read Chinese MTL. My brain has officially veto'd me from ever doing it again.

5. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say he's the extreme minority. Most people who know weren't cackling at the people who didn't in the comments section.

Traveling Chef likes this.
  6. Darkgrifter

Darkgrifter Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no reason to be a dong about not knowing stuff.

7. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Having two translators for this series is honestly fine. One work is a liberal translation while the othe one is a literal translation, both will have vastly different results in translation with the same plot. Just go enjoy both variations.

8. pipen53

pipen53 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a reader from some of the very first chapters, it has been a slow and frustrating few years. The novel is fun and holds a lot of potential but geez the release rate.

9. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the advantage of literal translation. If the translator has drop the novel, another translator can easily pick it up and resume it like normal. It can also be translated faster. This is often the prefer method for jp and kr novels since their chapters are not fill with redundancy/fluff for the sake of meeting the word count quota.

Liberal translations is so different, if another translator pick it up, the way the story is convey can be affected enough that it can have an impact on the readers' experience. This way of translation is often slower, but quality can actually improve when dealing with chinese web-novel that are ridicule with redundancy just to fit the chapter word quota in order to get pay. For the readers, if the translator and remove these fluff without affecting the story is like a god sent.

This is why having both translations of this novel is fine. You're sacrificing speed for massive quality and vice versa.

myurikko likes this.
  10. pipen53

pipen53 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand that there is always this balancing act that translators need to do in regards to release rate and quality. However I always think that translators should base their translation release rates with how long the novel is.

If the novel is 1500 chapters long and your release rate sits on 1 chapter a week, doing the maths ; it will roughly take 28 YEARS before the translation is completed. Enough time for someone to be born, live their schooling life, find love, get married and have kids.That was just an example I'm throwing out as a point that translators really need to look at the completed chapter numbers before starting a new translation.

I personally think that anything beyond 4 years will be a hard slog for all but the most dedicated of translators.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  11. Tiken

Tiken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't help but like and agree with pipen, in the time this novel has been going on I already finished several titles on my backlog.

c0debreaker6 likes this.
  12. c0debreaker6

c0debreaker6 A MANLY Leecher

Reading List:
    Link

Indeed, that's true. With how much chapters Wolfie need to cover, 3-4 chapters a month would still take years before the end, so a faster translation is pretty much preferred. Personally I have no problems with 2 translations going on, but I'm miffed about the translator in Veratales translating without a word to Wolfie. I mean, it's basic courtesy to honor the work of someone who has done it since day one. And I'm pretty sure Wolfie would agree to it seeing as he's pretty busy IRL. But nothing of that sort happened with this guy, he simply popped up with a chapter. Really, I'm thankful of the chapters but imagine having your passion project taken from you without notice is downright rude.

SayMrrp likes this.
  13. Esperreal

Esperreal [The Real Esper], [The Specialest Snowflake]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yo, was looking to pick this story up cause it looks like a fun read. Just wondering because I saw the summoning magic tag, is the MC have summons or is he the one summoned? Spoilers are fine on what he can summon if he does (I want to know for fun).

myurikko and c0debreaker6 like this.
  14. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    He's the one who summons stuff, using cards, and there's this whole MTG inspired card-game mechanic with different card types, phases/turns, deck/hand/graveyard/etc., and what not.

Examples of stuff he's gotten so far is a sword (equipment) that can also be used as a "buff" to another creature card, a card that summons a mercenary gang, a wizard, some vampires, some lizard, an angel that resurrects other cards from graveyard, and then recently he also got a bunch of cards from a card set called "Paradise of Adversity" or something so there's this whole theme of cards meant to fit together with each other (like in real card games).

Oh and ofc he's got some "land" cards, cards that provide mana to use other cards.

And he's also turned the ghost of an elf into a card, and there's been some inner monologue about trying to find stuff to turn into cards, so presumably there's going to be more of that stuff at some point and he might create his own card set in the future.

Oh right, and the "class" that plays these cards is called "Planeswalker".

But anyway, the card system was pretty weird when it was introduced, but in practice it's really just a Summoner class with some caveats to it.

myurikko and c0debreaker6 like this.
  15. c0debreaker6

c0debreaker6 A MANLY Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    You'll be missing a good story if you haven't. The first arc of the story was pretty epic and so the other arcs. They all have epic defining moments and you'll feel hype reading about it. You won't regret it.

About the summoning tag, yeah pretty much what Astaroth said. The cards were inspired from Magic The Gathering card game. There are land cards to power up your cards, it also gives you Wealth for you to unlock other cards. There are summon cards, spell cards and some buffing cards. The Planeswalkers were pretty much one of the most powerful beings to ever come across the story since it has been revealed that the World Boss, the Dragon of Darkness was a Planeswalker too.

myurikko likes this.
  16. DarkD

DarkD Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really mind the release rate. The novel isn't really a fun read anymore anyways. The author messed up too many places. It's become a "how many op items can we dump on the protagonist at once" kind of novel. I don't even think the author uses half the stuff they dump on Brendel anymore.

Novels like this are fun because we get to see a poor kid rise through circumstance with skill and hard work. What's fun about watching someone destroying their opponents through the weight of their moneybags and the free skills they did nothing to earn.

myurikko likes this.
  17. Concernedcitizen

Concernedcitizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder why Brendel was surprised that things are changing from the original story line when he, himself, changed things from the very start

18. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Because he's an idiot

Concernedcitizen likes this.
  19. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I think he underestimated the impact he had. I am sure he was expecting some changes, he even said so. But he didn't think the things he did would go all the way to the top.

Probably his gaming mentality where gamers had little impacts even when there were thousands of them. So he figured even if he did what it would take hundreds of gamers to do, it still wouldn't be enough to change things that significantly.

What Brendel probably misses is that gamers are both a pro and a con. While many of them can take actions, other actions can actually ruin things. Thus they trip over their own feet. Him doing this so efficiently is having much larger ripple effects then he realizes.

----

Btw, does anyone remember if the MC gets XP from killing humans or not? I could have sworn it said prior he did not. Or do evil cultists not count as humans? Or did his system change when he became a plainswalker apprentice and became more conscious of the game system?

Gitami likes this.
  20. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Veratales while fast uses mtl so there are parts where even when they edit is still confusing, so read Wolfie's when he does release the chapters. I had to browse the Chinese just to clear the confusion.

The princess' decision to leave.
    Mtl uses three leader, actual meaning is three territory. There's also a confusing part about Makarov's eye. The actual meaning is with one glance he can burst through the layers and arrive at a beneficial plan with the ease of a child's play.

Makarov's plan is to wait till the lion beastmen march on the northern region before declaring the civil war however that would lead to a north south divide of the kingdom as the Flame Cathedral would have openly declared support against the Beastmen and propping the north(the citizens would have split loyalty when the princess wins due to the protracted civil war and the appearance of abandoning the north), so the princess wants to sneak to her territory and declare the civil war now, even though that would be just her territory versus the north.

The author has another story, hot blooded parts like in Amber Sword. There's a favouring of the PLA but not noxious nationalism. If someone else want to jump in this translation bathtub they should jump in that instead.