Chinese The Apocalypse Devil and God Game (末世魔神游戏)

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by darkdhaos, Apr 8, 2018.

1. darkdhaos

darkdhaos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: The Apocalypse Devil and God Game (末世魔神游戏)
    Raw Links: https://www.uukanshu.com/b/966/
    Why It Should Get Picked Up: Apocalypse novel with game elements like God and Devil World, from the author of "Porter of two Worlds" (石闻)
    Description : (Edited from a machine translation, so it may not be accurate)
    The whole world has become a game arena. To survive in this brutal apocalypse, one must arm itself, keep fighting, upgrade weapons, and continuously strengthen itself.

After unremitting efforts, Tang Tian (唐天) eventually toppled the earth's final 100 BOSS, only to discover that it was only the first stage.

Watch Tang Tian ascend to the top of this brutal Earth arena, leading humanity in a desperate battle for supremacy, trying to reach to the end of the Devil and God's infernal playground...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Fan2zz and Greater thunder like this.
  2. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck with this.
    After the shitshow that was God and Devil World it seems unlikely this will be picked up.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  3. feyrin

feyrin Night time tyrant

Reading List:
    Link
    God and devil world's plot wasn't bad. Its just the recurring racism and rape and the degrading of countries and groups of people that made it so god fucking awful

Eishun likes this.
  4. shinikage

shinikage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not to mention repetitive

Greater thunder and katokashi like this.
  5. Greater thunder

Reading List:
    Link
    It started good yes. The problems came the moment he started managing a couple of other survivors. It could be ignored because the system was interesting and a novelty at that point in time.

However the author threw away everything that didn't have to do with: racism, bigotry, sexism, one line rape/sex scenes, trashtalking and humanity infighting despite the, not a threat, but a legit army of zombies capable of running them into the ground being 2-3 days away.

I gave that novel chance after chance right up to the part where he was once again separated from the rest and was being an asshole towards Vietnamese survivors. I think it was somewhere in the 500s. Greatest regret is not dropping it sooner.

Eishun and Fan2zz like this.
  6. Fan2zz

Fan2zz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How similar to God And Devil World is this? I read the first chapter through machine translation and it was practically the same as the first chapter of G&DW. The only difference is that the mc got a storage ring from a drop and his summoned creature is a ghost assassin instead of a skeleton. I don't care about that too much, but do you know if the mc becomes like the mc of God and Devil World?

7. darkdhaos

Reading List:
    Link
    I have only read till chapter 35, there are some differences with G&DW, the first night after the change, the one responsible of the Apocalypse made more changes to the world, starting with the vegetation growing rapidly (the trees on the university where the mc starts, growed so much that looked like the university was inside a jungle), making all electronics unusable, making the firearms useless without a weapon specialization and having the animals mutate and become dangerous monsters. About the mc, he's an orphan that has to work to pay the university, after the apocalypse, he decides to grow stronger in order to survive this world. He starts to have ambitions of becoming a leader in this new world, in the university he tried to form a group with some people he rescued, but it got taken by another student stronger than him.

Fan2zz likes this.
  8. Greater thunder

Reading List:
    Link
    Goddamn. The leader thing is shit. The whole mess( in reality and fiction) is caused by authority crazed morons who couldn't lead themselves out of a paper bag. Does he at least give up on it after failure?

9. darkdhaos

Reading List:
    Link
    Not quite. After leaving the university, he rescues a female cop on the way and she guides him to a small village of about 300 people (less during the apocalypse), an after cleaning it of zombies, he becomes the village's leader with a small force.

10. Greater thunder

Reading List:
    Link
    :(:blobsob::blobcry:

11. Fan2zz

Fan2zz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    +1

Want this to be picked up.

12. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess we could go investigate? The author is not the same as the person who wrote God and Devil World so there might not be racist crap.

But on the other hand, the plot's too similar for us to ignore the possibility of racist crap turning up later.

So what could we do? Those of us who have already read God and Devil World could maybe skip ahead to the chapters where racism's supposed to appear and see if this new similar novel would also contain racist crap?

If this novel is actually similar to God and Devil World but without the racist crap, then yeah it's a good novel.

Greater thunder and Overclock like this.
  13. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I get what you mean. I actually gave the author a chance even after going through the Vietnam arc. But then later he arrived at Japan and the same racist shit happened, and I realized that for the next 1000 chapters, the same shit will just keep happening and so I dropped the novel.

Greater thunder and Overclock like this.
  14. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, I did some investigating. And here's what I found.

Racism

Now, I didn't skim through one thousand chapters looking for racist crap. What I did was look at the titles and skimmed through several chapters that seemed like likely candidates.

In the end, I found a story arc where the protagonist launched an all out attack on Japan. And
    a half-Japanese girl was spared from death simply because her mother was Chinese. But she was told that her Japanese dad would be killed.
    That was somewhere after the one thousandth chapter. Can't remember which one now.

But was the war on Japan necessary or was it just racism for racism's sake? I can't say because I didn't look through that many chapters.

Ruthless Protagonist

But I did skim through Chapter 1 - 70. No racism in those chapters. But based on what I have read so far, I have to say that the protagonist was not a likable fellow. Or maybe it's the author's fault. Because almost all the women who have appeared in the novel so far were weak and dumb. For example, there's a beautiful female cop who appeared early on and she's portrayed as weak and cowardly. Even when the protagonist held down zombies for her to kill (for EXP points), she chickened out.

And so it came to pass
    that she was held hostage by a rapist and the protagonist coldly said she deserved to die because she's a waste of food. And after that, the female cop wrote a goodbye note and left the village which was surrounded by a forest full of mutant beasts. The protagonist coldly refused to go after her even after another girl begged him to.

Okay, I get it. I get it when Chinese writers come up with strong male characters who refuse to bow down to the selfish whims of rich upper-class ladies. But coldly ditching an acquaintance so coldly... kinda... And the
    goodbye note was so sweet. Blaming herself for her weakness and promising to repay the protagonist for saving her life. Despite all that, he refused to go after her, knowing full well that she would probably die in the forest.

My Thoughts?

Well, I don't really like the protagonist enough to want to continue reading the novel past chapter 70. But, I know there are lots of fans out there who like ruthless protagonists. Especially the ones who break the cliche by not saving every single damsel in distress. So there. If that's your cup of tea, then go for it.

Fan2zz likes this.
  15. Fan2zz

Fan2zz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I'm disappointed. I don't care if it looks too much like God and Devil World, but keeping the racism and the ruthlessness is turning me off.

16. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the bit I mentioned counts as racism. But I don't know if it's as bad as God and Devil World. The ruthlessness though... He's definitely more ruthless than the protagonist of GaDW.

17. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    uuh, ruthless, ruthless, its only few chap and the mc already ruthless? does character development really mean something to the author?

18. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    for me I think it would be nice if the mc started as unambition person, hell if he has to be pessimistic, lazy, and cowardice so be it, then slowly along with the journey and survival, the mc gone through a change, and at some point in his journey, he become ruthless or cruel to enemy's or people outside his faction or community