Discussion The backwater of the backwater of the backwater

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Arkantos, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    err... look for the place where there's a lot of furs! You could find a big bully there

2. Osaleh

Osaleh Nightmare Serpent Bloodline Ancestor

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure but that's explained in that Ji Ning was born from the godstone of an Autarch

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2018
  3. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm he didn't know his family at first but he came from the weakest sect and planet

4. Osaleh

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh the only super lucky thing to happen to Ji Ning is the fact Heartsword wasn't made by him and he didn't have to make it himself to perfect his omega sword dao

5. BloodAdept

BloodAdept Blood Sacrifice Practitioner

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh... would argue about him being from the weakest planet, but i'll agree with the sect bit.

6. Arkantos

Arkantos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True but why would the Autarch come so far and put the inheritance so much in backwater?

7. Osaleh

Reading List:
    Link
    Furs? You sound like that immoral parrot! That sort of thing is immoral, you know?

8. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    He was from the weakest planet before the seal was removed yanno
    their heaven 9th heaven was weakest too

9. BloodAdept

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean if you think about it, his birth planet is literally able to attack... Not just because of the way the universe was set up, but because of what the past patriach of his clan cultivated.

10. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    #believeinlordfifth

and dam I already forgot most of the names and the way they talk

I agree but that happened near the ending, so technically speaking we could still say that it's the weakest one with its seal

11. Arkantos

Reading List:
    Link
    Both the families were in the decline

12. BloodAdept

Reading List:
    Link
    No? His planet (East Fang) has this happen in book 6. Well before the ending of the story in my opinion.

In decline, not the weakest. Even the Ji clan did hesitate to antagonize his parents.

13. Arkantos

Reading List:
    Link
    In decline, not the weakest. Even the Ji clan did hesitate to antagonize his parents.[/QUOTE]
    True

14. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Because these authors aren't willing to spend the effort on writing a story that don't rely on gamelike progression as a crutch.

15. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    'twas because the planet South Heaven restrict other people who are not native to it, hence His parents was sort of undefeatable on it also the Li emperor was inside it too and he could use the ghost of the Li's or something forgot the name

16. Osaleh

Reading List:
    Link
    If you started as the son of a Daolord or the son of a Hegemon you don't have far to go to become supreme. It will limit the number and scope of the conflicts you can have and stories need conflict to be interesting. The mystery of the power struggles and the power levels is interesting as it is realistic. For instance do you know where England's nuclear arsenal is? Of course you don't but if you become a president you will allocate some secret agents to find out. Do you even care about such an issue now? Of course not, small people have small problems, big people and big problems. Stories are only interesting if they have both. But you can't have both at the same time. If nuclear war is imminent than no one cares about small thieves.

runsing and Arkantos like this.
  17. zenla

zenla { Totally human being} {Kingdom building fanatic}

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the easiest answer is since most have no idea how to plot they just make trashy power climb. And all power climbs must start from the bottoms to be true power climbs.

18. Arkantos

Reading List:
    Link
    Correct, I enjoy as well reading how and why the world ii as is but it seams I chose wrongly for DE. What I meant are novel like PMG or ATG where the guys just plot armor trough. And cultivation levels are just skipped and do not matter

19. blablabla12

blablabla12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For the infinite power creep

20. zloi medved

zloi medved Well-Known Green Tea Bitch

Reading List:
    Link
    It isn't unique to CNs. "Hero of humble origins" is completely typical - the hobbits of Lord of the Rings start off in a small humble backwater village. Luke Skywalker starts off on the desolate, boring, backwater planet Tatooine. In many adventure video games and RPGs, you start of in a small "beginner/tutorial" area. Humble origins for the hero means they have a larger character arc and growth, and also forces them to go through a literal journey - if you already live in the capital city where all the strife is happening, you don't have to depart from your home and everything that's comfortable and familiar to you, forced to journey out into a larger, unknown world, forging yourself through new experiences. CNs just do it in a way that is objectively annoying, not because the hero starts off with small humble beginnings and must discover a larger world, but because it's framed more like... constant goalpost shifting.

If the starting point is A, typically in many western stories the hero's ultimate goal is to travel to F, and B-E are the obstacles and challenges they meet along the way. In many CNs, however, the hero's goal is to travel to B. Upon reaching B, they now have to travel to C. Upon reaching C, they must now, etc. until they ultimately reach F. Because it becomes a pattern of "this is my goal, now I have reached my goal, a new goal has manifested because Of Reasons, and I must reach the new goal" rinse repeat. The hero isn't given a single ultimate goal or motivation that acts as a consistent drive for them through the entire story, but a series of smaller goals broken up into parts that makes it feel episodic in a repetitive, frustrating, Sisyphean way. No matter what the hero achieves, ultimately, it doesn't matter, because a new goal will inevitably appear and very little feeling of progress is made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.