Question The best light novel you have ever read?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by sisterfister, Nov 19, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sisterfister

sisterfister currently inside your sister

Reading List:
    Link
    it would be: About the Reckless Girl who kept Challenging a Reborn man like me, for me.
    the only novel that really stuck with me and made me think about it.

ajohndoe and alamptr like this.
  2. Tyren

Tyren Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kino no Tabi – The Beautiful World

Martialegg, ajohndoe, Barnnn and 4 others like this.
  3. rainlord

rainlord [[rathofheaven]]

Reading List:
    Link
    issth

foxtailx and ajohndoe like this.
  4. Hazery

Hazery Missing Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome to NHK (the 2002 novel)

Fruitphilia likes this.
  5. Haeru

Haeru Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone else is returnee, Oregairu

7. ap3lgila

ap3lgila Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lrgendary moonlight sculptur

8. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    I still haven't found a novel that I can call it "The Best" yet. Still waiting:blobexpressionless:

9. the_cheater17

the_cheater17 17 is not my age

Reading List:
    Link
    Ghost Hunt.

10. Dewaloke

Dewaloke Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mushoku Tensei

Gitami likes this.
  11. Yaoikun

Yaoikun The other Red Siblings | Cursed Black Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Invisible dragon

12. unlucky

unlucky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mushoku Tensei, Dungeon Defense (waiting until it is finished to give final judgement)

13. Fruitphilia

Fruitphilia New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The types of novels that I consider the best aren't the ones that are entertaining, like LMS or Mushoku Tensei or Dungeon Defense, but ones that can leave an empty ache in my chest when there is no more chapters to read.

The first story I have read that made me feel like that would be a one-shot novel, "Our Journey to the End of the Ceasing World". I remember reading it around 5 years ago, and it made me reevaluate my life after reading it. It was a period in my life where I had no idea what career I wanted to pursue, and I was scared. I wasn't scared that I wouldn't be able to find a job, I wasn't scared that the path I choose would make my unhappy. I was scared, because everyone I knew seemed to already decided on what they wanted to do and I was scared of being left behind. After reading this book, I remember closing my eyes and thinking in silence for 2-3 hours about my situation before settling on a metaphor that the book uses that I still think about even now.
    https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Tabi_ni_Deyou,_Horobiyuku_Sekai_no_Hate_Made

A close second would be "Chrome Shelled Regios". Although at first it seemed like a typical school-styled action harem along the same lines of High School DxD or Infinite Stratos,midway through it became clear that it was less about flashy action scenes and romantic comedy, and more about slightly less happier themes such as guilt, repentance, responsibility, and martyrdom for self-satisfaction. The characters weren't just archetypes and cliches, and they all have very human motives and fears. And no, its not a harem. It's a long read at 25 books, but I heavily recommend it to everybody.
    https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Chrome_Shelled_Regios

Now that I'm thinking about it, a book that I've read more recently than the others (like 2-3 years ago?) that I think is pretty good is "The Lazy King". I'm a little sleepy so I won't talk about it, but you can just read reviews that others wrote.
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-lazy-king/

14. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "The Twelve Kingdoms" by Ono Fuyumi. It's an isekai from long before this recent spate of isekai novels. It's also very different from the modern breed in being largely an introspective work about how people adapt to being dropped into a different world, and how these difficulties and new responsibilities have to be tackled. The world-building in these books is amazing because it's not the pseudo-Medieval settings that we see too much; instead it's a world that's told in incredible detail with tons of intricate things going on. Honestly, it feels more like a Chinese transmigration story than a Japanese isekai one.

Gitami and Mahou-nii-sama like this.
  15. yaswanth srinivas

yaswanth srinivas Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dungeon defense

16. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of Sun Knight - CN
    Overlord - JN
    Dungeon Defense - KN

17. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I had to name one off the cuff- DanMachi for its light hearted feel.
    The story that got me into ln/wn- Zhan Long, very enjoyable vrmmo story. As a numbers guy I loved the way that the numbers felt realistic even as he leveled to atrocious levels with OP abilities. It still felt like the math was right. He wouldn't just swing his sword and random numbers would fly out, the number seemed to fit the listed abilities. Stats for himself and others seemed to fit the logic of the world. No other VRMMO story has gotten the numbers right like that since.
    The one that got me into wuxia- Pan Long, first IET. Not sure I would have been able to make it through that one now. Some of the tropes that IET just loves to write into his stories I freaking despise to the point where if I see any possibility of them appearing in the future I will straight drop a series. Which is why I dropped both IET stories on webnovel right now.
    The ones I look forward to the most right now- Haroon translated by @Channy_ updates 1/week fun VRMMO/real world mix. Night Ranger on webnovel 2/day interesting transmigrated to game world. Castle of Black Iron also on webnovel 1/day great concept of a karma tree directly rewarding and punishing MC for his actions.

18. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Light novels are defined as novels, usually Japanese novels, that may target high school or middle school. My favorite light novel would probably be Baka to Test or The World God Only Knows. These ones stuck with me the longest.

19. NGCleric

NGCleric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Best is hard to say. I read novels when I want to relax and have a good time, so I tend to favor novels like Death March or Smartphone when I want Isekai shenanigans. I also like reading through Kenkyo, Kenjitsu o Motto ni Ikite Orimasu when I just want silliness.

20. Rae

Rae ͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏͏

Reading List:
    Link
    For me : Rakuin no Monshou, Oregairu, Mushoku tensei, Hikaru ga Chikyuu ni Itakoro.
    There's many of them though, it's kinda hard to pick the best ~
    :blobupset:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.