Recommendations The Best of the Best for a novice reader(ess)

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Readeress, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Release that Witch should fit most of your needs. While it's not exactly realistic, since somehow Roland manages to remember way too much random stuff (though still not as bad as some other novels), but it's not really one of those narcissistic kinds of novels like frankly basically every JP isekai kingdom building novel is.

There's still a smidgen of that "I'm a modern day person, so I'm automatically superior than these lowly and ignorant medieval peasants" in RTW. But honestly I think most people would actually think a bit like that in the back of their mind anyway.

Same here, though while I finished the manga long ago, I've only read a chapter or two of the novel.

Half Prince is a comedy + VR mmorpg setting. Imo it's the first half which is mostly focused on the comedy and adventure that's incredibly funny, the second half is more drama and about uncovering the plot/hidden darkness blabla drama and snore-fest.

The premise here is that the MC (female) decides to use a male avatar in the upcoming VR MMORPG to 'prove' to her brother that she's completely fine in playing on her own without getting carried etc. (As most people already know, men can be quite 'thirsty' (and creepy), especially in online games, and women who take advantage of it can gets tons of free stuff, having some dumb guys help in hope of somehow getting laid, etc.)

So unlike most other gender bender novels, it's mostly about the weird (and comedic) interactions that occur from even simple things that would've been completely normal otherwise.

Also, a short note about Legendary Moonlight Sculptor. While it's one of the best vr mmorpg novels that I know of, the translation is definitely subpar. Especially from volume 17? or maybe it was 20, when for a volume or two the chapters are very poorly edited machine translations.

(The original translators who were doing a decent job asked the original author for his permission to translate the following volumes, but he said he didn't want them to, so they stopped, and other people took over.)

From volume 20 something clicky click click or something translator took over, and it was a pretty good one actually.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Readeress likes this.
  2. The loner

The loner Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Lanfiar

Lanfiar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Amber Sword
    Its a good novel with most of the elements you said are your favorites. Namely kingdom building, MMORPG, Historical, Fantasy, Economics, Politics, Adventure it has them all. Its not fully translated though, protagonist is a man and I think its going the to be harem in the future but not the main element of the story. Translation is getting there.

Eight Treasures Trousseau and To Be A Virtuous Wife (almost the same)
    They are more romantic but they have politics, intriga and both have strong female protagonists. They are build in chinese historical fantasy.

Tales of the Reincarnated Lord
    This one is also good. Translation is exelent and full. Built in a medieval historical setting but with cultivation elemets wich makes it game like. It has loads of politics, economy and building territory as well as battles with whole armies and the accompanied politics (too many territories like in feudal europe). Protagonist is a man and it is deffinately harem but not the focus and it kinda makes sence in the content of the novel.

Readeress and madness- like this.
  4. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    but WN don't have Albedo
    hmm... I'm reading for relaxing so i usually drop it when things get heavier.. But let me make a series finder based on what you said, hold on.
    edit: here, sorted by last released date

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Readeress likes this.
  5. madness-

madness- The Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    +1 for The Amber Sword
    I've been thinking to give Tales of the Reincarnated Lord a shot but it is worth as its dropped by author himself ?

Btw
    The Second Coming of Avarice
    The Novel's Extra
    Trash of Count's Family

Readeress likes this.
  6. Lanfiar

Lanfiar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Potatoes

Potatoes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've heard great things about Worm, though it sounded a bit too dark for my tastes. But Overlord is also too dark for me, so you might like it. OEN though, but it has it's own website and is easy to find. Female protag.

Side Character Transmigrations: The Final Boss is No Joke. You won't get as much out of it without reading some of the more popular series aimed at female audiences, but it should still be funny. If you dislike the protagonist though, then I'd drop it immediately. Female protag.

After the Mountains are Flattened. Male protag and a comedy, but I think you'll like it. On royalroad.

Zombie Knight. Maybe. Male protag, but I think there's a good chance you'll like it. OEN, but easy to find on author's site.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear. Maybe. It's basically mindless fluff, but still fun. Female protag.

Chrysalis. QI original that's migrating to rr. MC is technically female, but it doesn't really matter. Game systems and kingdom building.

There is no Epic Loot here, Only Puns. Female protag. Dungeon story. On rr. Aims to be funny and touching.

Mother of Learning. Probably the best OEN or time loop story out there. Can be found on rr or fanfiction.net. Slow updates. Male protag.

1/2 Prince, until it gets weird. Also has a manga that's pretty faithful if you'd prefer. Female protag, game elements, mostly action/adventurer and comedy.

Empress' Livestream. Maybe. MC is very open about being a lesbian, but there are no GL tags on the series. Good if you like insightful protagonist that prefers forceful methods while not being restricted to them.

After you've read some xianxia: Cultivation Chat Group. Male protag and super funny, but it's mostly spoofing xianxia series.

Honestly speaking, I'm not sure you can find a good series on this sight that isn't a comedy and doesn't treat women as a subspecies, possessions, or in someway less than men. Even the ones with female protags will basically always make them at least partially subordinate to a man.

Readeress likes this.
  10. SnowPale

SnowPale Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Readeress likes this.