LCD The Desolate Era

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by JJ, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Titanos's avatar was extremely helpful because Titanos is the strongest of the Autarchs and is far more skilled in formations than Ekong. Titanos could potentially have been helpful here as well, but the rest would most likely just be dead weight until Ning breaks out on his own, and he had no way of knowing how long that would take.

And so far, Ning's decision has been right; having an Autarch with him wouldn't have helped in any way so far. It will probably be helpful in the next few chapters, but he can still ask Mogg to send his avatar over at any time, having someone come before now would have been a bad idea.

Yarbles likes this.
  2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Ning better break through quickly...the membranes seem to be thicker than the plot

Viola likes this.
  3. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya, Titanos would have been the most helpful person without a doubt but the rest of the Autuarchs are still at a higher individual level with their main Daos than Ning is with the same Dao. They could very well be able to offer insight into things Ning isn't able to grasp or grasp quickly enough on his own. Plus the Raw power from an Autuarch would be able to help in many ways despite their ineffectiveness when it comes to formations.

I know Ning said they wouldn't be able to help in the Temple but i don't buy that for a second. That was written to cover up this mess of poor decisions so that Ning would be able to grow in the Temple and be forced into a conflict at the end of this revealing Iyerre to the masses.

I still stand by that the Autuarchs could have assisted him in the Temple but again, even if they couldn't they may be able to draw some of the Temples power by attacking it or even prevent Reinforcements from arriving to the temple to finish Ning off. What good does having Mogg 10 days away do? It does absolutely 0 good. What is she gonna do. Reinforcements arrive and start attacking Ning, he sends a message out for help but.... what now? The reinforcements are in the Temple attacking Ning and Mogg has to travel 10 days and even if Ning doesn't die by then what is she going to do now. She can't block the reinforcements anymore since they are already there, distracting or drawing power from the temple is pointless now with all the enemies present, and when she could have gone in to help before is a guaranteed death sentence now as opposed to the manageable risk it was before. Before when one was good enough to help you would now need many of the Autuarchs in a VERY timely manner to help which won't happen.

Having someone come right away was the best option available to them given the circumstances. Having someone 10 days away is as good as telling Ning no help will arrive if he is wrong and slow and he will die for it.

Ning's and their decision is only right because that is the way the story will be written since he can't die. With all the information available the Autuarchs should not have made the choice they did. They are the strongest, wisest and smartest beings in their world (by virtue of the fact they reached such a level) and they make a stupid call. This is IET's fault though. He made them make an idiotic call so he could advance the plot and force conflict when a smart decision given the information would have likely prevented all conflict and risk at that time. It all would have been pointless in the face of Iyerre but they don't even suspect that someone like him exists given what they know.

Given everything they knew at the time of Nings capture, they should have rushed over and at minimum defended the Temple from further outside interference. They could have sealed it away preventing any Exalts from coming in and making the situation worse for Ning.
    IET wrote them making a poor decision to advance the plot and force conflict where it otherwise could have been avoided given what we and them knew at the time. He could have gotten the same conflict he wanted while not making smart characters be stupid. He would have just had to write a bit extra.

VinnyOni1 likes this.
  4. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only part I agree with is that someone should be stationed just outside the temple, a lot closer than 10 days away. I still think sending anyone other than Titanos's avatar inside the temple would have been worse than useless up to this point.

5. VinnyOni1

VinnyOni1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The attacks thrown in the formation have mainly been high power and not high dao. The trouble is the little dodging space so the cultivator has to take the full force of the attacks. Any autarch would be helpful in sharing that burden so any autarch would be helpful to Ning. Especially when they could block the attacks and allow him to focus purely on solving the formation and breaking out. From the cultivator's point of view the upside of additional autarchs vastly outweights any downside.

Edit: Especially when the only downside would have been the temporary lost of an avatar. With Ning there it would have been highly unlikely a true body would perish. Also Titanos isn't the most helpful for Ning. The time autarch would be because she can spend up time to 500 times helping Ning solve the formation faster. Then we have a space autarch who would highly useful in a formation of trapped pockets of space. Literally all the autarchs would have been helpful through either their dao, defense, or raw power.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Viola likes this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Quick question. I'm recently catching up but what's the condition to become an otherworld lord and a autarch for normal cultivators? (ji ning excluded)

7. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    To become an otherverse lord you need to first at least be an eternal emperor (not necessarily a hegemon) then you’ll have to have the luck to find and refine/bind an ownerless otherverse (otherverse’s are created by autarchs, kinda like how everworlds are created by emperors but much much larger, usually an otherverse is equal in size to a realmverse) which is why major battles usually occur between cultivators when an ownerless one is found.

To become an autarch for normal cultivators: they’ll need to have a ‘perfect dao heart’ as a prerequisite and then train 10 daos to the hegemonic level and then have some stroke of luck or epiphany to get your other hegemonic daos to reinforce and propel your main dao used to get hegemony to give birth to many other daos which is what they call ‘dao birth essence’

8. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Training 10 daos to the hegemon level isn't specifically necessary. Training in other daos will give insights into and strengthen your main dao, but there's no specific number or level required for those, the important part is just reaching the daobirth level.

VinnyOni1 likes this.
  9. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, where in the hell did Mogg come from suddenly.

She said she was 10 days away and would come if he needed help. But what? Ning never contacted her nor was it ever said she was on here way over to him. She just conveniently appears the moment after everything has gone down?

The further along we get to the End the more i am noticing errors like this. Or i just missed him calling out to her but i double checked so i don't think so.

VinnyOni1 likes this.
  10. Saitama.sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    True they didn’t specifically say 10 hegemonic daos since all daos share a commonality and in a sense it could be less then 10. But in the past it mentioned how the number 9 was described as ‘the limit’ and the number 10 as ‘being perfect/completion’ plus Autarch Bolin had 10 hegemonic daos that led him to autarchy (even though ning saw the other autarchs daos it was never specifically mentioned how many other daos they trained in as well) so I just assumed that you needed 10 daos at the hegemon level cause it was mentioned that the sovereign guy that ning gave guidance to before he met Nuwa (the guy that gave him the gold droplet for hegemon goodsong) has trained 6 daos to hegemon level but was still ultimately a hegemon.. anyway, you could be right but I guess IET never gave a f*ck to actually specify in detail

Viola likes this.
  11. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mogg said he (Mogg is male, by the way, Skyfeeder is the only female Autarch) was 10 days away, but that was about 56 days ago. Plenty of time to head over just in case.

12. VinnyOni1

Reading List:
    Link
    From Book 44 Chapter 10
    Mogg never said he was heading over and even if he did Ning saying no need basically means he was telling Mogg not to head over. So we had no information that Mogg had ever came over until suddenly he was hanging out right outside the formation. Towards the end what was slowing Ning down was the time taken to break through the membranes, if Mogg (avatar) was hanging outside for the past 50-60 days then he could have definitely helped speed that up.

As Viola said and Mogg highlighted, Ning importance is high enough to warrant the sacrifice of an avatar or even an autarch's main body itself so Mogg should have had no qualms to rush his avatar in right away. Especially when avatar's are easy to recreate at 50% power.

Viola likes this.
  13. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya, there was plenty of time for Him (oops) to head over.

The mistake that was made was that Ning refused help and Mogg said he was staying nearby (10 days) just in case. But no where after the fact that Mogg says he will stay nearby (10 days) does Ning ever call out for help or do we get even a word about Mogg heading over to do anything. Mogg magically appears right when Ning breaks out in direct contradiction to his own statement that he would stay nearby in case Ning called for help.

The fact that he shows up is a contradiction and the timing is an even bigger mistake because of the contradiction since Ning never called out for assistance.

Could Ning have called 'off screen'? Yes.
    Could Mogg have just started heading over on his own despite his initial statement to the contrary? Yes.
    The fact that we have this result with 0 words in chapters about it is an oversight and poor writing.

14. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see any need for the story to explicitly give every detail as soon as it happens. This was a perfectly reasonable time, in my opinion, to reveal that Mogg came over without being asked (or maybe without it being mentioned that Ning asked). There's no contradiction anywhere.

Like I said earlier (and Mogg and Ning seem to have agreed), having an Autarch/avatar waiting outside the temple is more useful than having one inside. If they're outside they can charge in at any time, if they're inside then they're trapped and have fewer options. Mogg wouldn't have really made a difference in breaking through the membranes either; before Ning understood the formation, he was far too slow, even having every avatar helping might not have been enough to matter (Ning said he'd need to be over 10 times as fast at breaking through). Brute force just wasn't an option. After he solved the formation, he was out in less than a day. After that, Ning's full-force strike with the Five Elements Sword Dao was just barely enough to break apart one of the dragons. Mogg would have had a harder time, so while he might have made the energy drain a bit faster, he wouldn't have made a big difference. Then for the final two modes, Mogg wouldn't have had any way to contribute, and would probably need to hide in Ning's estate world to survive.

15. Yarbles

Yarbles Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Saitama.sensei That was easy to guess anyway.

16. Saitama.sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I know but I put it in a spoiler tag anyway cause first of all, this is an LCD not a spoiler thread and second of all, even if it’s as obvious as the sun, there are a lot of people that haven’t thought much about it and didn’t know so if I didn’t put it in a spoiler tag then they would've ended up drowning me with their curses and spittle if I just typed it out right lol and I don’t wana die young

Viola and Yarbles like this.
  17. VinnyOni1

Reading List:
    Link
    Ning said there was two ways he could break through quicker master the oblivion sword or gain a higher insight into the spacetime dao. I think an autarch of space or time would be helpful or autarch who has studied sithe formations and we have 3 such autarchs. There were errors on both sides. We have a formation that is the same as the one the autarchs were in but they only went all out to kill ning when they could have done the same with the others. We have multiple sithe running to backup the first formation but somehow to slow ning down they didnt call for any reinforcemnts, we have ning frivolously declaring that he doesnt need help when hes trapped and doesnt see any way out. We have an autarchs avatar waiting outside doing nothing for 60 days which is an issue itself and on top of that he was written to have never left his spot 10 days away.

As the readers we get an overall view so we can know things ning doesnt know. Like if reinforcements are coming, if he will survive, and the thoughts of the sithe. Nings decision to receive no help without our knowledge was stupid. Literally all the autarchs would have been helpful, one autarch broke free already so two autarchs have experience with the formation. Of course they would helpful to ning in breaking out of his.

With Nings importance every autarch avatar should have rush over just for the sliver of a chance they would make it in time. And they all should have rushed in if there was even a sliver of a chancr they woukd be helpful. At this point the story is basically saying the death of all the autarchs avatars is better than the death of Ning or his avatar.

Viola likes this.
  18. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a pretty clear contradiction. I don't see how it isnt.
    Mogg said he was 10 days away and would be nearby if Ning needed to call for help. But didn't move forward because Ning refused the help.

So then Mogg shows up without any communication from Ning and in direct opposition of his earlier statement. His actions contradict what he stated he would do.

Now you are right when you say the story doesn't need to explicitly state every detail as soon as it happens. But in this context you would need a good reason for Mogg to show up now in contradiction to everything written.
    So what was his reason to show up unannounced after everything was over?
    I'll be frank when I say whatever reason you have doesn't make this any less of a poor writing decision.
    Because why not just arrive 40 or 50 days sooner for any number of reasons.

This whole part is just a mess of poor writing. (Not horrible considering the medium... Just far below what is expected).

There are ways to fix this by adding a couple of sentences if that at the right places. It would fix the issue I have pointed out while not changing the events that have passed.

This problem and the last are cases of poor writing decisions. The former was a case of forcing the plot forward in a poor manner and this on is likely an oversight but still detracts from the quality of the novel.

19. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He said that the only way to break through using brute force was to become stronger, with those two methods being examples, but neither of them was realistic. Like I said, Ning would have had to break through more then ten times faster; at best, Mogg could break through a little faster than Ning, but even if we assume he can break through several times as fast as Ning, it wouldn't have been enough to matter. It would take nearly every avatar and true body working together to get through with brute force.
    The second, and only practical option was to gain a better understanding of the formation and find flaws. Titanos could have helped there, but I don't think it was ever mentioned that he was close enough.

Ekong wasn't trapped in the same type of formation as Ning, it was entirely different. And for Ning, they called the strongest reinforcement they could possibly get, Iyerre. Sure, it would have made sense for the Sithe to call in every exalt within range (we know it would have made zero difference and wouldn't have slowed Ning down for more than a few seconds, but they didn't know that), but there may not have been any close enough, considering how much slower they are than Autarchs and how even the Autarchs are spread months apart.

I've already pointed out why I think Ning made the only reasonable decision, given what he knew.

Mogg wasn't waiting outside for 60 days, he made his way closer during that 60 days, and was waiting for anywhere from zero days to 49 days (probably closer to 0). He also didn't have a "spot" 10 days away; the Autarchs (or just their avatars now, with their true bodies in hiding) are constantly moving to help the war. Mogg was moving around anyways, why not move towards Ning as he goes? (bolded because I think this one point makes the entire argument about Mogg appearing "out of nowhere" pretty silly) Sure, he might have made his way over quickly and waited outside for a month (again, waiting outside was the best possible decision he could have made, much better than recklessly and pointlessly charging in), but he also might have only made it there a few days before Ning broke out.

Again, the formation this time isn't even similar to the one Ekong was in. I've pointed out how none of the Autarchs could have helped except possibly Titanos (it's more of a stretch but I could also see how Skyfeeder could be useful in saving a bit of time, Ning was using temporal acceleration already though, Skyfeeder would just have let him get some extra speed).

Given what we know as readers, sure, that's probably the best decision. We know Ning is the MC and can solve everything on his own if he needs to. But it would be monumentally stupid of them to risk everything they have and gamble the entire war on this one event, just on the chance that they might be useful.

StaticHD likes this.
  20. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mogg never said he wouldn't come, and Ning never told him not to. Ning said it was unnecessary at the moment, but he'd let Mogg know if he needed help (implying that Mogg should continue to stay nearby). Like I said in my response to Vinny, we already knew that Mogg was moving around while remaining close to Ning. There's nothing sudden, unexpected, or contradictory about Mogg appearing just outside the temple now.

StaticHD likes this.