LCD The Desolate Era

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by JJ, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Even if I grant you that which I don't he still said he was waiting for Ning to contact him.

Ning never did. So he just showed up on his own at the exact time he broke out?

I could defend all this to he'll and back if I wanted. There are explanations. But the issue is that the reader must come up with them to fill in the holes. It is poor writing. Likely just an oversight but still.

"Mogg, I'll keep you up to date on what is happening to me"
    That's literally all you would need to fix this issue.
    Simple. But it wasn't there nor anything like it leading to this problem.

Also is nearby whatever you want it to be to jive with your filling in holes? I'm atleast going off of the timeline stated instead of coming up with my own to fit the mistake.

VinnyOni1 likes this.
  2. VinnyOni1

VinnyOni1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They weren't realistic for Ning, because Ning didn't have a high enough insight in spacetime. Know who does have a higher insight into space and time? The space and the time autarchs. What's not realistic for Ning doesn't mean it's not realistic to do. And how would Mogg breaking through faster than Ning not be helpful? If we had a deadline to cut down tree and I can cut down a tree and you help me cut it down faster wouldn't that be helpful? You underestimate the autarchs. And the formations are essentially the same. Look at how it was when Ning first entered it was the exact same formation. What was different is the end where the sithe went all out, which as a I pointed out they did not do for the autarchs.

The goal was the slow Ning down until Iyerre arrived. The sithe outnumber the autarchs so they are spread in more locations. Of course the Autarchs will be spaced apart differently. And there is only one Iyerre so of course he will not be near every autarch. But if there were 2 autarchs nearby (Stonerule and Mogg both said they were nearby) then even more exalts should have been nearby. And the only reason Ning defeated the the 5 that was left so quickly was because they didn't have enough sithe left to fully operate the formation. That would have changed if they had had reinforcements. You are looking at the results of the decisions they made and not what could have happened.

Some quick math. Iyerre was 82 days away. At the end he was only a few days away. So Ning spent 70+ days in the formation. Mogg was 10 days away. They never said Mogg kept helping in the war and logically speaking moving to Ning's location would be more important than looking for sithe he may not find. So why would he do both? That would be like them looking for exalts while at the same rushing to help that trapped autarch. They wouldn't do that and never was it said that they did.

So again since apparently he did rush over there and it takes him 10 days to get there. Ning trapped 70 days minus 10 days equal Mogg twiddling his thumbs for 60 days outside the formation. Yes that is so much more useful than him entering the formation to help. It's not like the formation has limited energy and having two autarch class combatants would force them to use more energy. Oh wait...

Given what knowledge Ning had it makes little sense to refuse help. Not sure how that's debatable, it's more common sense. And literally the fall of Ning is the end of the war. The autarch literally said he is the most important piece and they would rather sacrifice their true bodies than have him fall. And the chance that they might be useful is high because again space autarch, time autarch, 2 autarchs with personal experience a exalt formation, sithe formation expert autarch. A lot of those membrane Ning broke through using raw power, know who also has raw power galore? Every single autarch in this universe. Not sure why you think autarchs that are capable of breaking through a similar formation are suddenly useless.

Edit: Ning death alone would ensure defeat since he is the only one halting the weakening of the verse. Remember his avatar and his true body are the only ones capable of possibly breaking that formation. So again, Ning is more important than all the autarch's avatar combined.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Viola likes this.
  3. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Except that was actually there. Not in those exact words, but it did explicitly mention that Ning was constantly in contact with the Autarchs, discussing the formation, with them giving what limited suggestions they could. If they were discussing the problems with Ning, then they were kept up to date. At least up to the point where Ning solved the eight revolutions formation.

"Nearby" is exactly what the story said it is: about 10 days at one specific point about two months earlier (but guaranteed to change from there, because it's already explicitly clear that Mogg is constantly on the move), and then just outside at the end. There are no other references given.

@VinnyOni1 There are so many blatantly wrong parts of your post that entirely contradict the novel that I'm not sure you're actually paying attention to the story, or maybe English isn't your first language and you have trouble understanding it. I don't have time to address each point individually tonight, but I can come back to it tomorrow. For now, I'll just say that there are zero similarities between the two formations and there's enough detail about both that they can't possibly be the same, and breaking through the membranes without solving the formation first was never a realistic possibility no matter who helped.

StaticHD and Yarbles like this.
  4. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, i am done.

I can write and fill in holes for IET too but I'd rather not do his work for him.
    He should have done more to fill this in instead of making us have to cover it up for him.

There was an oversight, a simple to cover-up one but still.

Also
    Way to hit below the belt.

It couldn't be because he has a differing opinion, must be because he can't properly grasp the language.

Nice Play.

Sherrynity and VinnyOni1 like this.
  5. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, I admit that was pretty rude. @VinnyOni1, I apologise for the way I said it. But I'm not talking about opinions or interpretations at all, I'm talking about objective, explicitly stated facts with no room for interpretation, where parts of the post were flat-out incorrect and directly contradicted the novel. Like I said, I don't have time tonight, but I can go over it point by point with direct quotes from specific chapters tomorrow.

StaticHD and Viola like this.
  6. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A day late, I went to bed early yesterday.

They weren't realistic because of the huge difference needed, not because Ning didn't have enough insight. From book 44 chapter 12:
    If he could break through more than 10 times faster, he'd have a chance at escaping.

It wouldn't be helpful because breaking through with brute force still isn't realistic. Sure, Mogg could break through faster than Ning. Mogg is the undisputed best at breaking through space. But he doesn't just need to be faster than Ning; as the quote from b44c12 established, he needs to be more than 10 times faster, and there's not such a massive difference between them.

At no point were the formations similar. Even the temples containing the formations were different.
    Ekong was in a large temple surrounded by 7 smaller temples, with an Exalt inside each of the 7 smaller temples. Ning was in a temple with 8 pillars around the perimeter, with an Exalt on top of each pillar.

Then for the formations, Ekong was in an endless hallway, with no way to break out at all. The formation included various attacking methods as well, including an azure seal that comes from the hallway to attack 352 times with no way to dodge. There weren't any details on what it was like after the hallway formation, but all of it was dangerous and would have killed Ekong on his own. For the third part, they only had to survive a single extremely dangerous attack before escaping, where Titanos sacrificed his avatar to protect Ekong.
    On Ning's side, they started with an illusion formation just to test him, then he was trapped in a hemispheric prison cell (which, on its own, did nothing to contain him, unlike Ekong's inescapable hallway), outside of which was an empty space full of spacetime bubbles. All it did was trap him, there were no attacks at all. Then for the next formation, the third, most dangerous part was able to be activated three times before collapsing from the strain. If this was the same formation Ekong and Titanos were in, there was no part where they could escape by only surviving a single attack, unless the Sithe decided to just give up and let them go. Also, Ekong's formation went through 3 parts, and Ning's formation went through 3 parts. If they were the same formation, then it can't be that the Exalts just didn't go all out against Ekong.

Probably the most important part though is that Titanos had never seen the formation Ning was in, which clearly means he didn't already escape from the same formation. From book 44, chapter 10:
    And chapter 11:
    It would be perfectly reasonable for there to be dozens of Exalts nearby. It's also perfectly reasonable for there to be none nearby. Either way would make just as much sense, so since no reinforcements came, why not just assume there were no reinforcements nearby? It doesn't really matter either way.

It might have made a difference. I doubt it would have taken him 6 days (that's how far away Iyerre was) even with reinforcements, but there's no way to be sure since there were no reinforcements. Again, the lack of reinforcements isn't anything strange, so it doesn't really matter what could have happened if it was written differently.

Splitting up the points in the next quotes since they're mixed together:
    The novel repeatedly gives the exact number of days taken:
    Iyerre was 82 days away at the beginning, when Ning was first trapped.
    On day 19, Mogg said his avatar was about 10 days away.
    On day 30, Ning broke through the first formation.
    On day 69, he solved the eight revolutions formation and the Exalts switched it from trapping to killing.
    On day 75, the Exalts were running low on energy and switched the formation to annihilation mode.
    One hour later (so still day 75), they activated the eight revolutions annihilator. It doesn't say exactly how long that lasted, but from how it was described it shouldn't have been very long.
    So Ning was trapped for 75 days. Mogg was 10 days away on the 19th day. If Mogg rushed over immediately, he would have arrived somewhere around day 29 and been waiting about 46 days.

Haven't you been saying all along that they treated Ning's imprisonment too lightly and didn't make it their number one priority like they should? I agree with your point here, it makes sense to rush over immediately. I never said Mogg didn't or shouldn't go right away; in fact, he shouldn't have waited until day 19, he should have headed to the temple as soon as Ning was trapped (Stonerule should have done the same). I only said that it was possible; a point that you should agree with even more than me, if you think they were being too cavalier about the situation.

But the fact remains that, for the first 19 days, Mogg's avatar was still helping with the war. If he was hunting warships for 19 days while Ning was trapped, and then Ning said he didn't need help, it's not unreasonable to think he might have continued hunting warships a little longer still.

The formation's limited energy only mattered for one single part; when Ning had already solved the formation and was being attacked by the dragons for 6 days. Mogg might have been able to help there, but he would be far less suited for it than Ning (Ning has the highest offensive power, and the Five Elements Sword Dao was a particularly good counter for the elemental dragons), so he would probably only save a couple days.

Ning refused help because it wouldn't be helpful. I'm not going to repeat my arguments for this part (except to address the next point), I've already pointed out why they wouldn't help so if you still disagree then I can't convince you.

Before Ning solved the formation, breaking through the membranes was meaningless. He only did it to test out the formation, that's all. Breaking through more membranes wouldn't have mattered except, as previously pointed out, he could break through more than 10 times faster. If every Autarch's true body and avatar helped, he could definitely do that. If just the avatars helped, it's possible it could have been enough, but probably not. Just one or two avatars helping break through the membranes? Completely useless, even if the avatars were each three times as fast as Ning.
    After solving the formation, he broke through in under an hour, so again nothing to help with.

As for help solving the formation, it's possible. Like I said in previous posts, Titanos might have been able to solve it even faster than Ning. Although maybe I was wrong and Titanos wouldn't be faster, because book 44 chapter 9 has this line:
    Still, even if Titanos would have been faster, the novel doesn't have any mention of him being nearby.

I agree with this completely. I never said otherwise.

StaticHD likes this.
  7. VinnyOni1

Reading List:
    Link
    Again you are making your assumptions of events that happened oppose to knowledge given. If I said it is perfectly safe for me to remain in a city during a storm due to fact that I survived doesn't mean it was actually perfectly safe. Ning saying he was perfectly fine by himself does not make it so.

Also for the time frame here is a quote from Book 44 Chapter 10
    I doubt this entire time means 1 day, in context to the circumstances it likely means for the majority of the duration of Ning's ordeal. And I said 70+ because the exact time wasn't 70 days, at the end Iyerre was said to be a few days away. So again, about 2 months and definitely more than 30 days.

As for you thinking no sithe was nearby because the novel didn't mention it that obviously because of plot. Just like Ning made a stupid decision because of plot. The autarchs made stupid decisions because of plot. And Ning broke out a few days before Iyerre's arrival because of plot. You can chose to explain away what was never properly explain or rationalized and that's fine.

8. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I really don't see how the natives are gonna survive...

9. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The obvious way is for Ning to suddenly break through and become an Omega Autarch. That's what I'm expecting to happen.

It's also possible that Ning and multiple Autarchs together might be able to kill Iyerre, then the war shouldn't be too difficult after taking out the leader.

10. VinnyOni1

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see why Iyerre just doesn't go kill Ning's avatar forcing Ning to either go there in person or let the essences weaken to the point Iyerre can bind them.

11. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    He was most likely trying to keep his forces an unknown factor for as long as he could.
    If he messed with the Avatars there all the True Bodies would know about him and be far more prepared for his first strike.

Now that the cat is out of the bag though that really should be his next course of action. It would force all the Autuarchs into a really unfavorable position.

Arcturus and VinnyOni1 like this.
  12. lazycrash

lazycrash Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not too sure on that but since its coming to an end soon lets just enjoy it slowly as long as it is still updating once in a while tho personpers speaking i feel the recent ones are a bit dull...welp

13. Sin

Sin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol okay quote a few weeks back. Ty I guess?

Viola likes this.
  14. Mercy

Mercy ...

Reading List:
    Link
    Am i the onlie one that Noticed hell prob make a breakthrough in Life and Death ...
    Since it did get mentioned before the foght and how close he is to it xD

15. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    So, probably a minority here (can't tell since I haven't checked this thread in a month and didn't feel like reading through it all), but I'm rooting for the Sithe at this point. It's just become such a drag and frankly I think the Sithe should've and would've won in any novel without authorial fiat. Ah well.

16. Waaazzap

Waaazzap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, letting chapters build up and reading most of this volume in one go was much more bearable.

This whole deal with trapping Autarch with no prior warning is pretty smelly BS. I would understand it if they had the Autarchs surrounded and then trapped them before they could escape. But downplaying it to making an ugly face after being trapped by a bunch of Exaults that came out of nowhere? Really?

If they're able to evade the Autuarchs senses so completely on the fly, there's no reason they shouldn't have killed everything outside of the prime essences by now.

If someone could find a logical reason for this, please enlighten me, because at this point it seems like bad writing.

On a positive note, the rest of this book seems like it will be more interesting. I hope they end up destroying that orb before Lyerre shows up.

blablabla12 and Mercy like this.
  17. Abe Froman

Abe Froman Sausage King of Chicago

Reading List:
    Link
    the only way it makes sense to me is that escaping detection is not something the sithe (except Iyerre) are capable of doing by themselves and instead the exalts escaping detection is due to an inherent function of the temples themselves. remember that Iyerre gave those 3 people (super exalts or whatever the hell they are?) items to let them evade detection by the chaosverse. and the only reason I could see for that not to be mass produced would be rarity of materials or wanting to save that ability to make a debilitating strike like they tried against the autarchs.

18. Mercy

Mercy ...

Reading List:
    Link
    Man he should rly stop posting The Teasers as new :p

19. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Odd way to end a book

20. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t know how many chapters are in this volume but it’s near the end and the next one has very few chapters. I’d say this book will be over in a week and a half if it’s two chapters a day