LCD The Desolate Era

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by JJ, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the ending wasn't as bad or rushed as I thought it would be.

Houyi got more than a passing mention which I loved. In fact he got some of the most lines as far as people who got revived go.

Three lives was a cool mention. Glad he got a few sentences too.

Sorta wish Brightmoon got more lines though... I mean really. Where was the family moment not just the lovers reunite moment.

Though I am a bit... peeved IET couldn't decide whether to keep the universe expanded or locked in as is.
    He expanded it then prevented that expansion for now while still leaving it open in the future. I would have liked a more definitive choice to be made since it is now open.. but not.
    Still ended better than I thought it would though.

Waaazzap, Arkantos and Saitama.sensei like this.
  2. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the recent novels i read had a pretty bad ending btth, woc. So i am happy with this ending, IET could have done better still.

3. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    It was a meh ending. The reason we all are ok with it though is that past several books have been just as meh.

At least with WoC, there was still tension and interesting aspects to the story that were left unresolved. DE was just boring before this, so more boring made it seem like an ok ending, since we had nothing left to care about.

Viola likes this.
  4. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    If IET has done half as much for the ending of CD then people would’ve been far far far more satisfied.. but tbh like he said in the afterward, it was apparent that he was struggling when he was 2 million+ characters through the story but it was also clear he tried really hard too.

Big thank you to IET for his creativity and hard word and an even bigger thank you to @rwxwuxiaworld for translating this novel for English based readers! Truly appreciated it, well done!

5. Arkantos

Arkantos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Holy Shit. This was one of my first novels with Stellar cultivation and Xian Ni when it was on Void. It was bitter sweet... The ending is ok.

6. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    Only after enduring the bone-chilling cold shall you smell the fragrance of the plum blossom.

This was the volume and final chapter title and also, the aesop for the entire story.

Ji Ning suffered the bone chilling cold to reach the apex, doesn't he deserve the scent of plum blossom in his victory and bring his loved ones back?

The ending felt really serene in its completion, I'll rate it 10/10.

Whatever, Ji Ning spent countless Chaos Cycles faithful to his wife without falling to temptation, can't he take a sniff?
    IET wanted to expand the universe, but Ji Ning drew his sword and smashed away the expansion...
    I support Ji Ning, it was a nice closed ending with our MC at the apex, no higher realms or anything.
    Eh, because everything was unresolved, it was a OK ending? Bro, you should have just stopped at ch.16 for your satisfaction.
    CD and ST were connected, so there was no need to ramble about creating universes when Qin Yu already spent the last volumes of ST going on about it. Desolate Era had all its final plot points resolved and the ending felt serene, so I love it.

7. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    It has nothing to do with other universes or creating other realms. CD ended without any touching family reunion scenes, it felt cut off to me and that’s my problem with it.

Anyway, what I truly liked about the name of this book and the final chapter (other then resolving everything and reviving everyone with a few ending scenes) was how it was all linked back to when Ning first embarked on the path of cultivation back in book 3 chapter 5 after killing Ironwood Zhan

8. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    IET wanted to expand the universe and he has despite his attempt not to.

Given the context i agree Ning made the right call, no need to let something that risky stay alive with a relic from the past having designs on it.

No higher realms but now we know there is a chance Ning isn't at the Apex. In the Infinite Void i doubt that there was only one big landmass that gave rise to a sentient will. It is the Infinite Void after all. And with Alphan we know that there is a way to become a more powerful being.
    By giving us context to how the Chaosverse came to be he expanded his world, made it logical that there may be large landmasses way out there in the Infinite Void where the next level of power resides. Also he destroyed the creation of this greater realm, it isn't likely that he destroyed the energy forming it. There is a chance it just starts growing anew but more likely i think it will just create more normal Chaosverses.

I'd have rather there been no explanation of a Greater Power level and a Greater World so the most we could have assumed from the Infinite in Infinite Void is that there are more Chaosverses out there and Ning would still be invincible at the Highest levels of Power.

That why i say he couldn't make up his mind since he opened it up then tried to close it without actually closing it and just leaving more possibilities open.

Saitama.sensei likes this.
  9. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Um....did you even read my comment? I'm going to assume no, that you skimmed it, cuz otherwise you really need to work on your reading comprehension skills. I didn't say WoC's ending was good. It was quite rushed and felt unfinished and wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination.

I was merely arguing that DE's ending isn't even ok. It's bad. But it's a continuation of the blase badness that DE has been for the past several books. There's been utterly no tension and nothing interesting going on. And there's been bizarre story points that have been utterly meaningless. That's all I was saying. That while WoC's ending was bad, it was bad because the story prior to the ending was good. DE neither the prior story nor the ending was well-done.

Viola likes this.
  10. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Houyi is mahman!

Viola likes this.
  11. VinnyOni1

VinnyOni1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I look forward to the sequel with Houyi and his rise to a Chaoslord :) A fanfic I may have to write myself haha. It was a nice journey that I'm glad I was able to share with you all. I raise a glass to the great daos of debates, discussions, and derision that I experienced here.

Viola likes this.
  12. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    he's using the word slave to loosely we need more context on what happen. they just seem like children or power maniac that don't want to be control. they are too powerful the world has a right too put limits on them less they destroy it with all that useless fighting. but it got me think has our universe enslaved us that's why we can cultivate?

13. Waaazzap

Waaazzap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoyed the ending.The lack of suspension at the final battle was a bit disapointing, but I feel there wasn't much that could be done to bring it back after the failed-daomerge daolord fiasco. I also agree there should have been more if a family moment with Brightmoon, but IET never seemed too invested in her character (unfortunately).

It's too bad these authors never go back and fix the mistakes made from having to rush the writing, but I guess the risk isn't worth it.

Overall, I had a great time reading this story. Big thanks to RWX and IET for all their hard work.

Viola likes this.
  14. L611

L611 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the end of steller transformation they 'look down' at the universe they had created. Like cd and steller transfermation had a connection i thought this one might as well.

I was excited when the other lord mentioned about assending. But IET just dropped it there. Guess we will have to wait for another novel to find that out.

15. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    it an asian thing. i'm more fascinated she has smell being created from nothing.

16. L611

L611 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In that way everyone is created from 'nothing'. He is literally god in that world now. She is not a frabication of her old self. she IS her old self.

17. Ihaveabucket

Ihaveabucket Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So long and thanks for all the fish

18. Penultimate

Penultimate Sect Silkpants Prince

Reading List:
    Link
    Its finally over... I remember when I first started reading this novel, it was around Book 9 or so and I had just turned 18 years old and was looking to read something after Coiling Dragon. When I first started reading I thought that Coiling Dragon was better. Now though I have to say that I like DE a bit more than CD but I personally find CD to be a bit more emotionally moving, especially in the beginning with what happened to Linley's dad and grandpa, to be honest when Ji Ning's parents died I was counting the number of chapters until they came back and barely thought about them at all. That being said though the fights in DE were more interesting, the plot moved more flawlessly, and even the side characters were given more weight. That being the case I think they could've done a bit more with the enemies in the second half of the story, the cultivator-eating civilization ended up getting a slap on the wrist and the Sithe probably should've had a couple of more involvements earlier on so that we felt the pressure and danger they had towards cultivators, but I digress. Thanks for 4 years of translating despite negative comments and setbacks Ren, I personally appreciate it and look forward to your next project.

If I may add something though I wish IET made Heartforce a bit more interesting than what it was, out of all of Ji Ning's abilities and powers I found that one to have the most potential for growth but ended up just giving him a bigger domain and powering up his sword techniques. A bit of a let down.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Waaazzap, Viola and Saitama.sensei like this.
  19. kuroganez

kuroganez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ~Claps hands together~ A long journey has ended. A beautiful ending for the one who strive for it at any cost. Thank you for the author, editors, and translator. Desolate Era is a fine book and the ending leaves an opportunity for other outcomes. ~Raises a glass for the future~

20. DorbenRS

DorbenRS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's over boys. I'm sad and happy. Feel a sense of loss knowing I won't be getting DE chapters regularly anymore.