LCD The Desolate Era

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by JJ, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. He really did elude to a higher level of power.

Though it is likely that the higher level of power is only due to binding a higher level realm. But yes, he told us there are greater heights to reach.

2. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. It might have been to become a Grandmist controller, but Ning refuses

3. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I didn't get that because I didn't read WOC. It really felt that you were commending WOC because it left things unfinished.
    Yeah, if you were wanting tension, that ended two chapters before MC completed his second Daomerge. IET TRIED to keep some tension with Autarchs being individually weak compared to the Sithe invaders and having our MC have only one life and one avatar. That said, it still seemed kinda predictable.

But still, the epilogue was fulfilling AND DIDN'T LEAVE THINGS UNFINISHED WHILE INTRODUCING A NEW POWERLEVEL and so, boosted my enjoyment of the story. I would have liked more focus on the disciples and some other stuff, but whatever, it's over now.

Viola likes this.
  4. Anitadhiman18

Anitadhiman18 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

But we still need to live in this world with happiness.... so always smile

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  5. Abe Froman

Abe Froman Sausage King of Chicago

Reading List:
    Link
    since daolords can redo their daomerge now, will there eventually be too many emperors for the quintessence to support? the same thing already happened to the original three realms so that seems like a real concern. if so, they'd eventually have to invade other chaosverses and suck up truesouls like the sithe or limit the passing down of legacies.

Anitadhiman18 likes this.
  6. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    Um, what?

They would likely follow the same plan that the Three Realms went through.

Limit the passing down of Legacies while reducing the amount of people who are allowed to cultivate in general. ie. Tell the Hegemons to accept less Disciples and have all Cultivation Schools reduce the amount of people they accept. This will prevent as many people getting chances while increasing the Quality of the Desolate Universe. Less people, less energy consumption... More talented individuals.

They would also likely promote infighting and territorial disputes more. Again, more would die reducing the burden while having the survivors be of a higher quality.
    Depending what level they promote infighting to they would still have to eventually expand outwards. After Limitless years they would have so many Autuarchs that they themselves may overburden the desolate Universe. So they would either push outward like the Sithe.... or have a well disguised culling.

As a... depressing tangent this is the same issue humanity faces only with a more realistic setting. We either increase our technological level to sustain more life on Earth or we leave our borders to acquire more resources. Before we become Space Faring this will just be Countries fighting over Natural Resources until they have conquered enough to sustain their increasing population or had enough of its citizens killed off to offset the resource burden.

7. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Well that'll be more autarchs around who can go adventure out of their chaos worlds too. If I remember there were other bodies outside of the 9 chaosworlds but much smaller in size

8. Z__SKULL

Z__SKULL Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Limiting reproduction could also be a fix.
    Probably a better operation then wars Imo

9. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    That is a good way to piss off your population.

Don't get me wrong, it'd work... but you'd really piss everyone off. In reality it would end badly i'd think. In DE, power reigns supreme so no one could do anything about it... until a second born abandoned son inherited the Plot Armor Halo and overthrew the leadership that condemned him to death even before he was born. That's how some Novels are started, Ning would be screwing himself over lol.

Good catch, there totally were. They could reign over their own small stars... a bunch of them would die from adventuring too. Win win.

Anitadhiman18 and kennykdogg like this.
  10. talkingwolf98

talkingwolf98 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Limiting reproduction might work in theory but in practice very few species (read none) would be able to limit the amount of offspring they have without outside interference, such as a hunter, or greater difficulties after they lower their populations growth rate, such as China right now with its large difference in the number of men vs women in the population.

11. TheDeadApostle

TheDeadApostle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just finished it after recently catching up to the end. This is the third ever Chinese novel I've gone deep into (the first being Release that Witch, then the Magus era, but those are still ongoing). And the only I've ever finished.

My thoughts? Well it was somewhat repetitive, especially with the power scaling. It's like the series kept hyping and hyping newer and higher power levels each time the MC made a breakthrough. First we thought the Celestial Immortal stage was the be all and end all of everything. Then they pushed that up to Daofather/Elder Immortal which was sort of fine. But they couldn't stop there and had to go on to World Level cultivator, then Daolord, then Eternal Emperor, then, finally (or so I thought) Hegemon (this made sense and only became annoying when the story progressed past this). But even that got relegated to insignificance when the Autarchs stepped into the fray. Then the Omega Autarchs and Lord of Chaos did. And even at the end they wanted to create a new level if not for Ji Ning spoiling the chances.

I really liked some parts of it like how he was bros with numerous people like Northmont Baiwei, Mu Northson and even Ninedust. But it's like all that really mattered in the story was becoming stronger and stronger, and these relationships were left completely untouched after a particular arc was done. And this is kind of a shame, really. People like Uncle White and his Azure Snake from the beginning stopped being mentioned even when his primal twin was in the Three Realms to the point that I almost thought I had missed their deaths or something, and I had no Idea of how far they had gone in their cultivation.

To an extent I actually prefer this kind of progression where he leaves everyone else in the dust due to having the protagonist's luck because having everyone else following him with plot armour of their own would be even more annoying.

The first half and second half were actually very similar with he wars and all.

Also can someone tell/remind me what happened to Patriarch Arcanum and the rest of his clan from before he became a Celestial Immortal? I must have glossed over that part because I don't remember them even being mentioned again.

Anitadhiman18 likes this.
  12. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    The answer is simple: Clones. MC of old story sends his clone to world, has his power reduced but knowledge staying the same, can pass on his legacy, etc. to the MC of the current story.
    As far as I can see, there are three ways to fix overpopulation:
    1) Killing stuff to help the Chaosworld gain Quintessence.

2) Invade another Chaosworld without a Chaoslord.

3) Least violent option would be using Autarch powers to create a landmass outside the Chaosverse. But since it will be outside the Chaosworld, no Prime Essences, Heavenly Dao, etc and thus, cultivation difficulty rises to MAX.

13. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah Ning could simply "devour" aliens to empower his chaosverse, heck theres a crap ton of void dwellers up for grabs.

furthermore, by IET's logic, two tigers can't live on the same mountain, e.g. the more emperors there is the more likely a bloodbath would ensue among themselves.
    to point out, everytime an otherverse pops up large amounts of emperors dies, then theres also treasures on the level of sithe artifacts.

14. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    china 1 child policy says hello.

15. L611

L611 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    after de IET worked on 2 more novels. Are they good enough?

16. NeurogamiPrime

NeurogamiPrime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wooo boy. just finished this novel up finally. as far as IET endings go, it was ok since all IET novels seem to end with the MC having a meal with all his dead and living family and friends after hitting the apex of existence. I think this one is interesting as it implies that Ning is not even at the top of the food chain in his "universe" which is a change what with the implication of there being even higher levels of power. I really wanted to see ning go on to be a creator of a dao which is what i thought the next level of cultivation would be, or to expand the dao beyond what it initially was.

17. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    There could be a level that high... but it wasn't implied.

The only higher level implied was the one where he controls a larger Chaosverse essentially. It would be like having a small Otherverse and a large one. The large one would give you more power while the little one gives you less. That what the difference between Lord of Chaos and the implied higher level would be.

Not saying there couldn't be other higher levels, IET could write whatever continuation he wants but from what was implied there is no higher Dao to reach. Perhaps more inventive techniques but no higher Dao Realms.

With this open ended yet not ending perhaps he could make another duology out of it and we will see the true heights that were hinted at.

18. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    He was a creator/expander of a dao though. The prime essence of the chaosverse was a bunch of eternal omega level daos but his dao was autarch level Omega Sword Dao. So it could fall into the creation/expansion of the Omega Sword Dao

Viola likes this.
  19. Clyne

Clyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i just finished the last chapter

This is the first time i read novel with satisfying ending

all the friends coming to the last banquet and chatting happily

A Truly happy ending with everyone revived in the end

I cannot expect more than this ending

I hope i can find another novel with satisfying ending like this

I almost stopped reading when i read Yu Wei died long time ago, but in the end, i can keep reading until the end.

Thank you guys for everything, for the author, for the translator, for the auditor, and for fellow readers

Time to move on, and read another novel

Viola likes this.
  20. Ale Cole

Ale Cole [FGO Newbie][Uninteresting][Onee-san Searcher]

Reading List:
    Link
    So has Desolate Era ended already? I stopped reading when Ning failed his Daomerge so how did things happen? Also I saw the ending I expected in the post above :/