Chinese The Devil’s Evolution Catalog, TDEC, 恶魔的进化目录

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by blackkat, Nov 4, 2019.

1. blackkat

blackkat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: [恶魔的进化目录] The Devil’s Evolution Catalog
    Raw Link: book.sfacg (dot) com/Novel/50650/
    NU Link: novelupdates (dot) com/series/the-devils-evolution-catalog/
    Why It Should Get Picked Up: Originally translated by Creative Novels, it has been moved to their Hiatus section and has not had a chapter for 4 months now. Even when not on hiatus, the chapter before that was 2 months before that and the one before that was another 3 months before that. In 2019, they only managed to translate 7 chapters, 4 of which were in January.... When asked by fans in their comment section or inquiries about it, it has been ignored to it's status or if they are even going to continue.

The story itself is a really fun take on the Isekai series with after the normal first isekai truck incident, in just a short few chapters after that his life, through some unfortunate events and not getting any powers, has another isekai moment and the real story starts from there.

Now an interesting story with a decently built up world (from what one can tell from the 331 translated chapters (over 1000 raw chapters...). Lots of jokes and elements that would make you think it would get to an R-18 point, but it never does (there is gore and killing with all the devils and all though).

I enjoyed it enough that I took the time to make an imgur album with the art that was available to on the RAW's site a year ago Spoilers inside of course because of that, but here that is: imgur (dot) com/a/WDS4mtg

Description:
    (from NU itself)
    Mo Ke, a middle-aged good-for-nothing-loli-loving shut-in virgin found himself in the unlikely role of a hero one day when he decided to take an uncharacteristic stroll outside of his lair on Valentine’s Day. Under the glaring headlights of an oncoming truck, he dove into the middle of the road to save the love of his life, a random loli, and his nemesis, a random pretty boy, in the process heroically sacrificing himself for the two brats.

With the knowledge that he did something productive for once, he passed away into the darkness only to find himself reincarnated into a different world. A world of swords, magic, devils, elves, a host of other fantastical races and of course, humans.

Join Mo Ke as he embarks on a journey born of jealousy, desperation, determination and stupidity, to evolve, find his lost pee pee, finally return home and destroy the world with an army of devils???

(Hmm, cannot post threads with links even though the template asked for the RAW and NU links without 5 posts, which I didn't have, so (dot) in it's place for now. Will make it more normal later after some posts, though proper ones. Don't feel like making random posts just to get a post count up...)

vangent, Rhydec, sanushilshad and 4 others like this.
  2. sanushilshad

sanushilshad Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So what is this about?

3. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like a random loser middle aged pedo gets a second chance in another world... To chase after little girl's.

Wujigege likes this.
  4. blackkat

blackkat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As in the story? Meaning beyond my mention on why it should be picked up and the description of the novel from NU's site itself?

Simple story (SPOILERS):
    - Chinese otaku guy has a worthless life and does one good thing, saves two kids from being hit by the isekai truck. He doesn't have the same luck and thus isekai'd away.
    - Born to a new family, who are killed before he's even a year old, yet he has his memories already and comprehends all that is going on.
    - Raised by a friend of the family who feels it's their fault his parents died. This guys daughter treats him as a little brother.
    - Learns that there is such things as warrior star levels (spirit strengthening) and even mages with their own star levels, though they are even rarer.
    - Dispair sets in as he has no talent in either the path of the warrior or mage. He's just a normal kid without any martial grampa or isekai god granted skill to help him be the hero of his own story.
    - Further despair as a guy comes in that his step-sister, who he loves, is infatuated with.
    - Runs away from home, thinking they'd be better off without him and comes across a group of devils (goblins and imps) who are trying to obviously do horrifying things to a purple haired beauty of a loli.
    - Saves the loli at the cost of his own life... circumstances happen and he is reincarnated again, different realm, but same world-ish, but now as an imp. The lowest level of devils
    - His isekai journey starts here. As he now has the ability to grow in power (rank up system the devils have, kind of like leveling up and then evolving into more powerful types of devils). Gets shiny items, skills and a martial grandma (kind of) along the way while creating an army of devils with the goal of hopefully returning to the human realm to see his step-sister again and tell her he loves her still.

The above all happens in the first 9 chapters (think of 1-9 as the prologue to the main story, very important prologue, so don't skip it or you'll be missing out on much of the story). With starting at chapter 10, the main plot begins.

The world, leveling/evolving system and characters are surprisingly well done for this type of story and I find it kind of a guilty pleasure to read.
    Hopefully that answers your question......

Wujigege likes this.
  5. blackkat

blackkat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is indeed what it sounds like at the start, yet it honestly doesn't really happen. Yes, the guy is probably a lolicon, however he never gets that chance or time to chase after any loli's and the one he loves, is aiming for, is his own age (when he was human), reborn again, well age there can be iffy as devils age depending on how much they've evolved. I don't actually recall him every actually chasing after loli's at all, though in the first couple chapters while he is human, there are a handful of comments from himself that points towards that.

The MC (spoiler) himself, after being reincarnated as a devil, doesn't even have any reproductive organs of any gender. Yes, "he's" genderless. For a loooooong time. In all that has been translated, he's still genderless, though getting to the point where he could regain his gender again (just not sure when, it's not translated and while I do speak English, Japanese and Spanish, I cannot do any Chinese dialect and refuse to use MTL's......, so cannot tell you when it happens or what happens beyond what is translated).

6. sanushilshad

Reading List:
    Link
    It's raw link is paid to read.
    So no hope for mt for free.

7. blackkat

blackkat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, sadly it is only free up to 118 on the RAW site.
    Which is why it would need to be picked up by someone who actually cares about translating it, instead of a simple copy paste from a MTL.

I did try creating an account myself to see how much it would cost to purchase a chapter and can see that it's 15 Fire, whatever that is.... Couldn't create an account though myself as I was getting an error saying it couldn't connect to a server. Wanted to find out if it was cheap enough for me, that I would help provide the chapters if someone was going to do a good job (not MTL) translation of it. But that was just a thought.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  8. blackkat

blackkat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A poke in hopes of notice by a translator.

9. vangent

vangent Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  10. blackkat

blackkat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read all that's translated again. Still enjoy the series.

Only thing I'd change on the current translation is the MC using "pee-pee" instead of something more normal... I cannot tell if the original used something similarly childish, but I think this is more of the (on forever hiatus) translators decision as they like to censor out any and all swear words by replacing random letters with *'s and the like.

This odd choice in words has made for some silly NU reviews saying that they thought the MC sounded brain dead because of using the word "pee-pee"....

I assure you, he is not. He is quite average and knows his limits (unlike many other MC's of other series). He makes use of others and is cautious when need be, like a normal person. Even as he gains new powers, he doesn't let it get to his head as he is constantly surrounded by those stronger than him, be it allies or enemies. With all that, he does make many mistakes, as the author did no make him perfect in any way.

11. konrad2

konrad2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I renember correctly, the tlanslator didn't translated anymore because he didn't like 2 part of novel, basically author made novel in 3 segments, fist segment is one which we know, in second i speculate that he somehow got to other plane/world or dimmension where he probably has his own school ark etc, gets there system(not sure for 100%) and some bloodline p. S. At this point Mc has male body but looks to his previous Fallen Angel of Lust and Envy. But still I like this novel and even if it will take me years I will unlock it all for free, allredy unlocked like 20/30chapters around 700th chapter.

12. blackkat

blackkat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The translator did mention that there would be a point where he felt he didn't enjoy the story as much and may not translate more from that point, but he kind of stopped in the middle of an arc this time. So I doubt he made it to that point.

13. konrad2

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, probably it was not profitable enough , which means that he wasn't a true translator if he was he would made it to end.

14. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, yes, i used to read this one a while ago and stopped to let chapters stockpile, i guess i should check them one of this days

As they said the MC is not perfect nor a genius of any kind, just an average guy trying to survive among the devils, he gets reborn in the devil realm where he must rank up in order to survive and reach the wider world but as he starts from the bottom he gathers a bunch of supporters and trains them the best he can, this fails sometimes because he is not familiar with military tactics or the ways of power of that realm

Personally i was annoyed at how he never equipped his troops with roman gear but i got by because i understood that he was simply copying stuff he knew from movies and such, and his tactics look closely enough to a mix of historical chinesse military and movie tactics so i get how he was just using the resources he had at hand

But the progression was pretty fine, they could not make a base so it was more about the growth of his units as they marched over the land and some evolutions were interesting to see, including the heavily foreshadowed of the MC as he had a special diet

The good parts are like watching an RTS with no base building, acquire units, upgrade gear, advance and try to conquer, the slow parts where those involving social interactions as devils are straightforward but humans have unending drama

So yeah, i give it a thumbs up and hope the translation continues

15. blackkat

blackkat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, envious of your ability to read Chinese. It it was Japanese, I would be able to barely make do (out of practice). Don't want MTL's though.

16. sanushilshad

Reading List:
    Link
    So anyone taking up this novel?

17. blackkat

blackkat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly it doesn't seem so yet....

18. konrad2

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be cool if there would be some Chinese site which had its all chapters free, what would be left then would be translate it and that's all

19. blackkat

blackkat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If there was, I don't know about it (I'm sure someone out there in the wide interwebs has made a copy of it though).

20. sanushilshad

Reading List:
    Link
    So no translator is interested in this...
    Well off I go to find ways to read the locked raw chapter for free.