Spoiler The End of an Unrequited Love

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by ArguingApples, May 16, 2020.

1. ArguingApples

ArguingApples Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=161470

Has anyone read this novel? I think it's really interesting. I would like to know the motive behind why the Emperor suddenly approached her.

Summary:
    It was a lifelong unrequited love for 12 years.
    My name is Ira Waldenviston.
    I loved Emperor Rubellus.
    Everywhere he went, I followed him like a shadow.
    Wanting to be the proper match for him, I clung onto everything like a devil.
    But it didn’t work.
    He didn’t even glance at me.
    All I had left was my broken reputation.
    At last I decided to give up on him.
    3 years later,
    When I had finally gotten my act back together, I was met with a new problem.
    “What are you doing here, ‘my’ fiancé.”
    The emperor broke in.
    12 years of neglect.
    All of a sudden I’m your fiancé?
    Your majesty, I’ve already gotten over you!
    Ira’s unrequited love ends here!

Sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to post a picture.

2. MatchaGirl

MatchaGirl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoilers please!

Ariaaaa likes this.
  3. adyaa

adyaa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Raw title : 짝사랑의 끝

Ariaaaa likes this.
  4. adyaa

adyaa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    7CB963BA-EF99-4B37-AB77-14D442957AD0.jpeg

You guys want me to translate the chapters ?
    I can access first three

5. ArguingApples

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, please! *sending virtual hugs*

CaelumBlue and Ariaaaa like this.
  6. Ocefossa

Ocefossa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I despise prologues like this one. For this particular story it didn't need it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Essentially the MC had a childhood puppy love/crush that grew with her. In fact, it was 12 years of devotion with absolutely zero return from the boy/man. So after being humiliated when she was 16, she literally gave up the chase and avoided him for the next three years. That event broke her (not just her heart) and so she had been trying to piece herself back together since then.

All of this happened before she was officially 'out' in society. She was so notorious that by the time she was officially introduced, the MC was still avoided/shunned like the plague.

The story begins on her 19th Birthday and on the day of the coronation of the new emperor. She absolutely didn't want to attend the coronation due to her past trauma from that place (she still hasn't recovered but is trying), however she attended because of her parent's social position and obligations.

Her reputation is still garbage even after 3 years of laying low with the only support she has coming from her parents and elder brother.

The first "chapter" ends with her official goodbye to her first love to his face leaving absolutely no room for doubt or misinterpretation (thatta girl!)... and opening the path the beginning of her maturation, healing, and possibly regaining her self-respect while becoming a stronger woman, maybe.

For story purposes, now the man she said goodbye to will probably chase after her. Hopefully it will be an interesting ride because the MC was such a young girl in love at the time of her trauma (being a teen only amplifies the event) and only now is beginning to grow into a strong young woman.

I'll put my faith in the Korean Author, usually they have satisfying story arcs and character growth.

It seems like each chapter is broken up into Fifths because they are really short. The editor and translators are doing a fantastic job though with extremely high quality work. Please support them.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  7. Ocefossa

Reading List:
    Link
    Goodbye/Pre-Coronation Chapters: 1-7

It begins when MC (Ira) wakes from a nightmare. Apparently she's been suffering from them for 3 years, always revolving around her trauma. And she finds that it's her birthday.

Fast forward, she actually spends a nice breakfast with her family (mostly) lovingly focusing on her. Ira's married sister harasses her subtly.

She receives some lovely gifts from her family and an especially beautiful bracelet she attributes to her brother (he did give it to her). It's hinted that the rest of her family either guessed or knew who it was actually from but Ira was left totally in the dark. Once the breakfast is over though everyone tries to hurry her to get ready.

Due to her nightmares or just plain distraction, she completely forgot about today also being the coronation of the new emperor. Once that registers she puts up a fight to be dismissed from attendance, which she loses. After which she only attends out of duty.

After arriving at the palace (before the ceremony) Ira wanders out to an old haunt of hers and the CPs. She's making her peace and last farewells to childhood memories when she's interrupted by the Crown Prince, Rubellus.

What follows is Ira's worst nightmare because the usually indifferent, dismissive and cold prince is treating her differently. It's a confusing, frightening meeting for her (*she's terrified of even seeing him again) and she denies/refuses to understand any underlying meaning behind the sudden change in treatment (*12 years of being treated one way and then being treated completely opposite after 3 years of silence? Yeah, I'd run for the hills too). The prince even tries to get her to understand that he was the one who gifted her the special, expensive bracelet (*it apparently has special meaning) which she denies.

(*Rubellus likely ordered that it be worn for the coronation, so she had to wear it (as a sign of favor or a return of his regard for her?) and the brother couldn't disobey a sovereign order).

Things continue to go pear-shaped for Rubellus from there (the actual situation beginning to dawn on him). Poor Ira misinterpreted his reactions and became even more determined to getaway from him and avoid more humiliation/execution.

Just when it looks like the Crown Prince is about to confess/propose, Ira's brother interrupts them. She takes the opportunity to escape.

She probably still loves him (*12 years of devotion and habits aren't easily erased) but before she leaves, Ira tells Rubellus (while very terrified of him) straight up that she will no longer figure in his life, that she is not in love with him, and this is Goodbye Forever.

After she leaves, the Crown Prince rounds on the brother. He's not taking the rejection/loss well at all.

The brother, Elpine, is apolitical, a complete neutral in all things except where his family is concerned. This comes back to haunt the Prince...who no one bothered to clue in on Ira's change of heart/self preservation.

(*Most likely he was going to confess/propose to her on her Birthday as his gift to her. You know, the 'reveal all' situation and dramatic fairytale ending that is the culmination of most romance story arcs (I.E. the reward for her devotion and loyalty). Romantic but too little and far too late. She's already too damaged emotionally and walked away by this time)

Elpine despised Rubellus' treatment of Ira. He also witnessed her struggles in her studies to be a competent lady, and possible future empress (subjects like politics, economics, trade, diplomacy, etc.), as well as the aftermath of her brokenly trying to put herself together.

Positionally, Rubellus is untouchable. So Elpine took the only small revenge he could by withholding knowledge about the bracelet's gifter from Ira, thus ensuring Rubellus' unspoken, implied/intended message never reaches her. She probably would have refused the gift or not worn it if she had known.

So Elpine killed two birds with one stone, getting his sister to wear the present, and getting his revenge. He owns up to it too.

(*speculation time*) The prince was either out of touch, banking on her steadfast devotion (taking it for granted), or too wrapped up in politics to get the hint that he'd lost her? Maybe he thought she was laying low with her 3 year silence while he was establishing his political power base?? He likely did not notice the hurt, lack of self esteem, and self worth she was experiencing in the process. So the opposite of his expectations happened with her giving up on him completely.

And that's it for now...

Hopefully Elpine can live through Rubellus's wrath.

Most of this story will be from 1st person POV (Ira's in this case). She leaves out details. :blobconfused:

I will caution that I put a lot of my own speculation so please take my commentary with a grain of salt :blobsweat_2:

(*...) = my commentary

8. ArguingApples

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh wow?? And here I thought there was some kind of revolutionary reason why he rejected her. Turns out he's just a prick who doesn't realize a person's worth unless they disappear from his life forever.
    Thank you for this and the link!

9. Ocefossa

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe? The subtle details of their reunion and the nuances of his actions during the episode hint otherwise...

The entire reunion would have been extremely romantic and fairytale-esque... had Ira been the same girl before her trauma (*and subsequent self-reflection).

Reading their actual meeting was very painful and awkward because it was chalk full of her self doubt/self esteem issues. She has a lot of mental and emotional scars now and is completely terrified of the prince.

Ira is in denial the entire encounter and (trying to be a sensible, mature girl by) talking herself out of her 'romantic delusions/obsessive flights of fancy' the entire time. She's absolutely convinced he hates/despises her and one wrong move will be her death and have repercussions on her family.

Essentially the story changed to a girl who's no longer in love (per say) but gave up and is trying to move from what she calls her 'childhood obsession'. And an ML who now has to chase her and try to woo her to fall back in love with him.

(*since, they were never officially a couple, does that really make him an 'Ex'? :hmm:)

10. Midxnight

Midxnight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m not really good at explaining, and I might've got some things wrong from novel. But the reason that the ML was ignoring / avoiding the FL was because of the power struggle. The ML had some political enemies (FL's father) who opposed him for the crown. So the ML was afraid that the enemies of him might try and use the FL as his weakness, and he was also afraid that the FL's father might try and use FL to his advantage and do something with her. ML actually loves the FL the whole time but he just couldn’t show affection

11. ArguingApples

Reading List:
    Link
    That's understandable but a really shallow reason. If her father's faction was against him, he could just propose to marry her (wouldn't hurt him. He liked her afterall). Then wouldn't the opposing faction eventually support him too? I think it would be equally beneficial to both parties. Also, by ignoring and humiliating the FL, wouldn't the FL's dad hate him with more passion?
    The thought process of the ML fails to appeal to me.
    And now he's proposing to marry her after everything, it feels like a final ditch move to unite everyone. Like "Ah, fuck it all, let's just do this to end everything."

12. Ariaaaa

Ariaaaa Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 11 has arrived, does any of you know if someone will complete the translation or not ????

mrsseien likes this.
  13. BlackTeaAndMallows

BlackTeaAndMallows Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobcry: The self-esteem of the FL had been blown to utter pieces.
    It would be difficult to recover from that and I hope she'd come out from this stronger and more confident.

I know they'll end up together but I wanna see the ML's much effort to redeem himself. And for a long time at that... :blobspearpeek:

14. Yukari_me

Yukari_me I Gotta Put Me First

Reading List:
    Link
    Indeed +1 :blobspearpeek:

15. fatimaria

fatimaria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoilers, pleaseee :blobuwu:

16. Iif_iixx

Iif_iixx Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [/The heroine infiltrates the palace, the guards catch her and ask her to wait for the prince in the room, but, the heroine, angry, enters the conference room and shouts at the prince to spread the news of the engagement without her consent, the prince hurries to get up from his chair and covers it from those in his cloak, but she continues talking Despite that, until he told her that there were people in the room, she was shocked that her father and a number of people were there, and the worst was that among them was someone who spread rumors at parties,SPOILER]

17. Iif_iixx

Iif_iixx Member

Reading List:
    Link

This happens in Chapter 20/21

I apologize English is not my language

L.M.L, Nefroza, Otakuotaku and 2 others like this.
  18. Niaosaf

Niaosaf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so in this chapter FL & ML already get back together?

mrsseien and Iif_iixx like this.
  19. Iif_iixx

Iif_iixx Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, there are some incidents, and I am still reading the novel, so I do not know when the prince will tell her about his love

Marie_0720, Niaosaf, Nefroza and 3 others like this.
  20. LazuliBean

LazuliBean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can anyone see the translation anymore? It says it’s protected and I have requested permission but I haven’t seen it