Novel The Familiar of Fate: Prologue - Chapter 28✩

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by jokerybokery595, Sep 28, 2019.

Tags:
?

Think I should post it as a full story? I have 10 chapters ready

1. Sure? I Don't Really Care

80.0%
  2. Nah...

30.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jokerybokery595

jokerybokery595 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    -I died didn’t I?

This was the first question I thought to myself when I could still feel the sensation of standing up.

Around me, a world of blue spans as far as the eye can see. Grains of sand that shine like stars, pour into and out of hourglasses. The ticking of a clock continues in the background, but the clock cannot be seen. A starry night sky, clear and unclounded, filed with so many beautiful colors looms overhead.

???: “Do you want to live?”

A voice calls out, seemingly from nowhere and a liquid falls from the night sky like a teardrop. It lands on the ground and seems to reflect the night sky as the clock ticks on. The liquid morphs and soon the image of an elegant woman with beautiful snow-white skin, eyes that seem to be stars that shine more beautifully than those in the sky, an elegant dress that looks to be made from the stars, and holding a large crystalline staff with a crescent moon at the top and star in the crux of the crescent stands before me.

-She’s beautiful, it’s like I'm staring at the stars in the flesh.

But her question strikes me as odd.

???: “Do I want to…...I wonder?”

???: “Are you saying you wish to go to hell?”

-I wonder if this is some sort of glamorous purgatory.

???: “So it’s living or hell, is this some reincarnation sort of deal?”

???: “Correct, that is the privilege you have been given.”

I don’t remember ever being heroic or great and even if I tried to be nice in my life, I don’t think I did anything to warrant a reward.

???: “Have I earned something like that?”

???: “As I said it is a Privilege, not a reward. I as god bestow this upon you that you may…”

???: “You're ...God?”

???: “Correct.”

???: “....”

???: “Speechless? I’d expect as much. After all, it is a great honor that I grant you this priv….”

???: “You’re not.”

???: “....I’m sorry?”

???: “I know you’re not God, so you can cut the crap.”

???: “Why do you not believe me, is not the fact that I can summon your soul before me now something that falls within your conception of God?”

I look at my body, I didn’t notice it before but it’s clearly transparent with a bluish hue surrounding it. Is this some form of astral body based around my soul?

???: “You’re asking for a genuine reason I think you’re lying to me?”

???: “Are you asking me to force your belief through coercion or a display of a miracle beyond what you see before you?”

???: “No, but if you haven’t forced me already it means that you either can’t or you need me for something. And if you need me for something, you could’ve made me do it for the sake of convenience, but you haven’t.”

???: “.....Continue.”

???: “So you probably don’t have the power to force me to do what you want, so you went with a reincarnation trope. I’m more surprised that you didn’t bring other people to try and manipulate them into a mob around some moral highroader.”

???: “Do you believe I wish for a group that could just as easily try to kill me, even if they would fail, as opposed to listening to me or gathering under the figurehead you speak of? While it’s true that I could have gotten more people, I don’t believe that is in line with my goals to have too many individuals to keep track of.”

-I guess it’s true that most humans are greedy and those who try to act just are usually just faking it for power, fame, or romance. But aside from that...

???: “Alright, besides I’m a Christian, not a Buddhist. I believe that reincarnation is possible, but not that it’s the norm. And I don’t know how many beings can manipulate souls, so I can’t say exactly you’re God if I consider the possibility that they’re not the only one who can.”

???: “Fine, fine. I’m not God, but I’m a higher being than you, who’s giving you another chance at revenge, isn’t that enough?”

???: “Revenge?”

???: “Yes, though I suspect your not believing me has more to do with your death than it does with my abilities, am I correct?”

???: “...You mean what my brothers were preaching, right?”

???: “Indeed, though I suppose if I was faced with twenty armed, fanatic potential reincarnators and had no options or powers, I couldn’t have put up much of a fight.”

???: “.....I…they….....reincarnators?”

???: “Yes, what about them?”

???: “So they WILL reincarnate?”

???: “Correct, though I said potential reincarnators before, now that they’ve followed their commands to the letter, it seems certain.”

???: “...Did they die?”

???: “You mean from your little ‘last attempt?’ One of them did get part of their face burned off, but since you died at their hands and you could barely damage even one of them, does it matter that much?”

???: “I suppose it doesn’t, but...why…..?”

???: “Awwwwww, is somebody feeling embarrassed about not being able to kill a single person? That’s pathetic.”

???: “Why... am I feeling so calm right now?”

???: “....Oh, right. I forgot that I made it so that you wouldn’t have a meltdown before I brought you here since it’d be kind of inconvenient for you to start crying or screaming while I’m talking.”

???: “But you didn’t make it so that I wouldn’t question you, thus leaving me free to interrupt you?”

???: “Well, I figured that I would make the most of this since most of the people I usually speak to are either fanatics or my siblings.”

???: “So even ‘gods’ get tired of each other?”

???: “That’s an understatement, but we’ve been like that since the very moment we were born. Don’t let them catch you saying that kind of stuff if you see them in the future.”

???: “Let’s get on with this.”

???: “You’re done, aren’t you going to ask to go home or anything stupid like if you could bring your smartphone with you?”

???: “There are already multiple stories where there’s a problem with that kind of stuff, plus I feel like you’d just hit me if I keep going.”

‘Witch of Fate’ : “Very well…*coughs*.....I am the ‘Witch of Fate’! And you have been given the privilege to reincarnate and become my….champion!”

-I felt like she would’ve said pawn or tool, or maybe even, herald?

‘Witch of Fate’ : “As I promised you before, this is a journey for your revenge! Your killers will also become reincarnators under the jurisdiction of different ‘gods’ of the world of Ilthea.”

???: “Alright, so are you going to give me a blessing or something like that?”

‘Witch of Fate’ : “Unfortunately, no. If I did, then my siblings would notice it and believe I am interfering. That’s why I decided to select a soul with a motivation in Ilthea, namely yours.”

???: “So I’m just supposed to make it through twenty people with powers and an entire world out to get me?”

‘Witch of Fate’ : “Isn’t that fine, I thought most humans enjoy putting in a little effort?”

???: “We enjoy being rewarded for effort, not the effort itself. And also, a ‘champion?’ I don’t even go for light jogs anymore, so I don’t know why you’d think I could do something like this.”

‘Witch of Fate’ : “Self-depreciation? I guess calming you down was a mistake on my part, but regardless of your sense of self-worth I chose you.”

???: “Well regardless of that, I just don’t think I can do anything on the level of a champion. So you’re just wasting time.”

‘Witch of Fate’ : “Very well, then I’ll just call you what you’ve already become…”

『You have been given the Title【Familiar of Fate】!』

『Due to your Title, you have unlocked the 【Fortune】Stat!』

???: “!”

‘Witch of Fate’ : “You’re not surprised by this, are you? And here I thought you already knew everything about this ~. But I think you should know what comes next, but sadly I don’t have the time to keep entertaining you.”

A dim blue light began to surround ‘???’.

???: “Hey hold on a second, you still haven’t told me…!”

‘Witch of Fate’ : “Oh right, I haven’t given you a new name! I think I’ll have your new parents name you ‘Fate’ since your old one doesn’t matter.”

-That is not what I was thinking!

‘Witch of Fate’ : “It doesn’t matter what you’re thinking, but serve me well in the future my pet!~”

-She can read minds!?

Fate: “....Woahhhhhh!”

In that instant, the soul of one world vanished and in the next, the world of Ilthea spawned new life in the form of a baby named ‘Fate.’

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Mate it lacks something, I mean it is good but I can't help think that it lacks something :hmm:
    I suggest you don't publish more till you make it more comedic (you are going for the comedic route right? I mean I feel like you are but at the same time can't because you are trying to make the MC the logical type maybe? it is just my opinion and as I said I do feel that it lacks something, perhaps you can make the meeting a bit more like Aqua and Kazuma from Konosuba :blobunsure:)

3. Wildly_Laughing

Wildly_Laughing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, I thought this was a Crossover fanfic between Fate/Stay Night and Familiar of Zero at first because of the title, lol

4. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's the second chapter, just to give you an idea of what I'm going for.

5. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    -Where am I?

I can see walls made out of flesh, convulsing and pulsing violently with every second that passes. It’s like something straight out of a horror film!

???: “....O..n ...p..u...h!”

- Where am I?! Ok, so you’re a guy who got…...those damn motherf*ckers!

???: “B..i..g...pu...sh!”

-Before I think about them, I feel the need to question what the…..

???: “One last big push my lady!!!”

???: *Unintelligible grunting and screaming*

-Not again!

I can feel convulsing behind me and what feels like a tube attached to my stomach being dragged across a slippery floor.

I can see light, it’s blinding!

-Don’t tell me that this is ...!

???: “It’s a boy my lady, congratulations!”

-Oh, holy sh*t, I was just born…

My eyes have adjusted to the light now, I can see a woman. She looks deathly pale and his panting heavily, but I guess she’s supposed to be my mother. She has long flowing black hair, piercing blue eyes, and a focused, cold gaze despite the events just a moment ago.

-Could you not have dropped my soul in a baby at the moment it was being born, you crazy witch!?!

???: “Well then…”

The male voice speaks and suddenly, the presumed umbilical cord has vanished.

-How the hell?!

I try to raise my head a bit, only to see an elderly man holding me with the umbilical cord clutched in his fist. His face is only slightly wrinkled, despite his completely ash-grey hair. His arms the same, slightly wrinkled and yet quite toned, with his sleeves rolled up above them.

???: “My lady Agatha, would you like to see your son?”

-I guess I learned my mom’s name if nothing else.

Agatha: “Jacob…”

‘Jacob’ seems to be leaning forward, as if expecting her to reach out her arms for me.

Agitha: “Why is the child silent, is it stillborn?”

-Oh, sh*t.

Jacob and my mother both look at me, confused. It’s at this point that babies are supposed to be screaming and crying, but I’ve just been contemplating my situation so much that I didn’t even notice. Though trying to say anything at this point is probably a bad idea, since it’d possibly pin me as some demon-possessed child for purging.

Jacob continues to stare at me, watching me breathe and blink for what feels like forever until finally telling my mother.

Jacob: “No, my lady, he is very much alive. Perhaps his vocal cords are not properly developed enough, but I believe given your condition that it is fine for the moment.”

Agitha: “Take it away and after you’re done, come back with the priest and beverages. My throat is parched.”

-Uhhhhhhhhh…..ok. This is an admittedly weird childbirth, but I thought there would at least be some degree of emotion.

Jacob nods and proceeds out of the room with me in his arms and once we’re outside of the room, he pulls a blanket from nowhere and wraps me in it, before proceeding down the hall.

The floor tiles around the birth room appear to be made of marble or some similar stone, probably because it’d be easier to clean blood off it than wood. The halls seem to be lavishly decorated with various kinds of metal lamp fixtures, ashwood floors, paintings of presumed family members, and servants lining the halls.

These servants seem to notice me and bow towards me, even though I’m still just a baby. Jacob gives them all a look and they proceed down the other end of the hall, presumably to get the stuff my mother asked for.

Finally, we arrive at an undecorated door in the middle of a hall leading to what appears to be a foyer with stairs leading up a floor.

*creak*

Jacob opens the door with a creak and I get a good view of the room.

It appears to be a small room with wooden floors, a crib lined with blankets and pillows, what is presumably a changing table, a dusty bookshelf placed near the table, and a very high-up window that probably only lets in enough light to cover half the room, not including the crib. I can’t tell what time it is precisely, but safe to say that it is late night given the black, starry sky.

Jacob: “Here you are, young master.”

He sets me down in my crib and covers me with blankets before walking out of the room, shutting the door behind him.

-Ok, so I’m now a baby in a noble household where my new mother doesn’t care about me or is disturbed by the fact that I don’t cry. Still, the hell am I supposed to do now?

The window has most likely been placed high up so that I wouldn’t try to wander over to it for some reason and the room is barren aside from the changing station and bookshelf. I try to read the titles on the books, but as one might expect from an infant, I can’t read them.

In comparison to the window, the crib was, oddly enough, only elevated off the floor by about 8 inches or so.

Suddenly, a blue light shines through the window, blinding me for a moment before condensing into a spectral blue marble and rolling along the floor, into the pages of one of the books.

The foreign words on the binding vanish, before being replaced with English, settling on ‘for the familiar of fate.’

-Is this supposed to be an explanation for my circumstances.

Trouble is that I can’t exactly get out of the crib since even though the base isn’t that high the walls certainly are. Not to mention that even though an infant is at least sixteen or so inches tall, it doesn’t mean it has the leg or arm strength needed to climb effectively.

I examine the crib thoroughly, if the witch thought I could come over to read the book then this is either a joke or she believes I can find a solution!

-I just genuinely hope it’s not an elaborate joke.

*clatter*

One of the planks projects a noise when trying to move it. It would appear as though the plank at the section is loose. I try shifting it some more.

*clatter* *clatter*

-It doesn’t seem like I can force it out the side….

I keep trying to exert as much force as I can through my stubby arms, to the point where I can feel some sweat beads forming along my forehead.

『【Wisdom】has increased by 0.1!』

『【Strength】has increased by 0.1!』

I hear alerts going off in my head before the plank slides to the side enough for me to barely get through the gap.

Fate: “Waugh!”

-Oops, I was so excited that I was actually able to do it and that this wasn’t just a joke that I tried exclaiming with joy! Oh well…..

I can suddenly feel fatigued. It looks like I pushed the stamina of my infant body too far with that last attempt.

-Is this actually a joke? Whatever...just gotta keep...go….ing!

Fate: “Uhh...hhh...aah…”

I throw one of the pillows to the floor and attempt to lower my stubby legs to the floor, but….

*slips*

The pillow slips from under me and I fall face first onto the floor.

『【Endurance】has increased by 0.1!』

Fate: “Waah...ahh…”

-Whispering your crying and….. resisting the urge... to... cry is tough...but at least...the pain will…. keep me awake…

『【Stamina】has increased by 0.1!』

I wander over to the bookshelf.

-This had better ...be worth..it!

I finally managed to get over to the bookshelf and am now tugging the book out of the case, slowly.

-I really don’t want to whack myself in the face with a hard-copy book.

* pop*

The book is released from the shelf, it looks like it was packed in quite tightly.

-Wow... for once in this…. new life I’m glad to have tiny…*shakes head*...Let’s just get this... over with..!

I crack open the cover of the book, the first page seems to have some words from the witch.

Witch of Fate - ‘So, how did you enjoy your rebirth? I didn’t want to have to put a memory restriction on you, so for the both of us I did you a special service!’

All my fatigue seems to vanish within a moment of reading this crap.

-The f*cking hell you did me a service! I am now in the body of an infant with barely any strength and I just witnessed the hell that is childbirth!

I keep reading.

Witch of Fate - ‘So aside from that, did my spectral shard surprise you? I did try to make it pretty and even refurbished a book in english just for you! But with that said, there is another reason I couldn’t set a restriction on your memories?’

-Aside from just screwing with me?

Witch of Fate - ‘Aside from just “screwing with you.”

-Why is this part in quotes...so she can read my mind!!!

Let’s keep reading the words of the mind reading witch.

Witch of Fate - ‘The other reason is that aside from the title I gave you earlier and the shard I’m giving you now, I cannot endow you with any other blessings.’

-Blessings? Why wouldn’t she be able to give me that if she can reincarnate me and ‘gift’ me these things?

Witch of Fate - ‘It’s part of why I brought you into this world. You see, my siblings are having me reincarnate their ‘champions’ just like I did you, but they’re forcing me to break off portions of my power into ‘blessings.’ These ‘blessings’ will be unique abilities linked to my own powers, but it appears that they wish to mix portions of their powers with the blessings to both power their ‘champions’ up and to bring my power down.’

-If you know that then why can’t you stop it?

Witch of Fate - ‘I am linked to the laws of fate, things like destiny and fortune are the basis of my faith. My siblings on the other hand, have many temples in this world and armies of devout believers, meaning that they have a more constant stream of power as terms like destiny, fortune, and fate are concepts of their own and the power I gain from their acknowledgement is minimal. Thus, if I chose to directly confront my siblings, they might simply take my power for their own’

-Wow, I guess she had it tough too…

Witch of Fate - ‘But that said I, while the other reincarnators will have destinies and blessings that set them apart or draw them together, I gave you【Fortune】.’

-What’s the difference between that and a destiny, isn’t fortune still part of your blessings?

Witch of Fate - ‘While fortune is intrinsically linked to the balance of the world, not many have actually acquired 【Fortune】as a stat.’

-!!!

Witch of Fate - ‘Essentially you have the power to gain this as a stat through your own good luck and skill and not have it predetermined and limited. But that brings us back to the reason I don’t want to give you a restriction to your memories.’

-I hope it’s a concrete answer…

Witch of Fate - ‘Since I can’t give you any blessings, you will have to forge ahead without much help. Things such as 【Translation】, 【Destiny Compass】,【Boosted Growth Rate】,【Greater Full-Potential】, 【Magical Comprehension】, 【Absolute Understanding】, and other such blessings or skills are things I cannot give you and you will either have to acquire through massive efforts or not acquire them at all. Thus you require all the time you possess until the reincarnators get here to prepare, as there is no guarantee that they will not use bodies of heroes, recently deceased, or even those close to you.

-I thought they’d become babies like me, isn’t that how it works in these sorts of situations?!

Witch of Fate - ‘While reincarnation as an infant is the usual and most recommended option, due to souls not being decided yet, it is possible to reincarnate as adults or even corpses if enough divine power or ancient relics are used.’

-So it’s essentially using gold to power a furnace instead of coal.

Witch of Fate - ‘That is why I have provided you with the shard mixed into this book, making it a journal for essential information. Once you have learned something, the journal shall also know it even if you lose the memory, it shall know. But this means that aside from this message, you shall have to learn everything yourself.’

-Well this sucks, but might as well keep reading.

Witch of Fate - ‘Keep note of the first page as I tore out the piece of shard representing it to communicate with you, it shall update its information with messages I send occasionally.’

-Occasionally?

Witch of Fate - ‘I do not wish to be discovered and I do not want you to be discovered as well, so you will need to keep a low profile and hide your alignment with me. Thus, keep your identity hidden and do not enter the churches of the other gods or interact with their high-priests. For keeping your identity hidden, assuming you join a guild or someone uses a skill like 【Scan】on you, see page 2 after you finish reading my message.’

-Ughhhh ...keeping my eyes focused at night like this is…tough *yawn*, especially with...no light.

Witch of Fate - ‘Regardless, once the reincarnators arrive there will not be any new information from me, as my fellow gods will attempt to continuously spy on me to ensure that I will not interfere with the ‘blessings.’ From then on, I will not be watching or helping, you will be on your own.’

-So she’ll be spying.... on me until then?

Witch of Fate - ‘That will conclude this introduction, as I said before all the information about the ‘journal,’ this world, and its inhabitants can only be acquired by your efforts. So train hard and don’t disappoint me, my familiar.~’

I’ve finished reading, but it looks like it’ll be pretty hectic in the future. Looks like I’ll have to put in some genuine effort for my revenge.

-I really hope page two has something that can help.

I flip to page two....it just has some odd sentence at the top.

- ‘Say the one word, if you’re so knowledgeable.’ Ughhhh…

Fate: “ww..auuww...u...aus…”

-Looks like I can’t even form a coherent word with my baby speech

There’s some fine print…

- ‘Awwwww, so cute!’.....

-I really want to hit her….

Suddenly, a screen projects from the page.

Stats

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Name: Fate

• HP: 0.9/1.1

• MP: 1/1

• Level: 0

• Race: Human

• Job: None

• Previous Jobs: None

• Titles: 【Familiar of Fate】
    --------------------------------

• Stats:

• Strength: 1.1

• Endurance: 1.1

• Wisdom: 1.1

• Intelligence: 1.0 (Knowledge of this world is low)

• Stamina: 1.2

• Agility: 1.0

• Fortune: 1.0
    ---------------------------------

• Passive Skills: None

• Active Skills: None

• Unique Skills: None

• Equipment: Fate’s Journal(Soul-bound)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-I ...guess..this is….rather, these are my stats...gotta say though, I’m…*yawn*...pretty pathetic.

-She said pages one and….*yawn* two had something, but I guess the other pages are blank…

Just as I thought of that, words began appearing on page three.

『Endurance seems to be gained by dealing with physical pain』

『Strength seems to be gained by making great physical effort』

『Wisdom seems to be gained by thinking through situations for solutions』

『Stamina seems to be gained by exceeding physical limits and working through fatigue』

『Intelligence is probably gained by learning various things, though the rate is unknown』

『Agility is probably gained through training, though the rate is unknown』

『No known method of gaining Fortune.』

-Seems? Probably? No known method? Well, she did say I’d have to gain knowledge myself, but I didn’t think it’d be like this.

Looks like she wasn’t lying about having to gather information, when I’ve gained the ability to roam around I’ll try gathering some.

-But…*yawn*...that’ll have to wait till... tomorrow.

I kept working through my fatigue and managed to lift myself back into my crib with my stubby arms and legs.

-Come to think of it ...I think I should've needed longer to even be able to crawl....Whatever…

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  6. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's chapter 2 of the Familiar of Fate.

The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 2 - The Beginning

7. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    Agatha: *sigh*

Jacob: “My lady, are you well? The young master has been placed in his room and should be asleep by now.”

Agatha: “....”

Jacob: “My lady?”

Agatha: “What did you think of it?”

Jacob: “...I’m sorry my lady, but it? I don’t think I understand what you’re referring to, but if it is about the room I think it is…”

Agatha: *sigh* “I meant what did you think of the child?”

Jacob: “I believe he may suffer some issues with his vocal cords as I stated earlier, but aside from that he seems healt…..”

Agatha: *sigh* “I am surrounded by incompetence.”

Jacob: “I’m sorry my lady, did I do something to…?”

Agatha: “Leave me Jacob! And send word to my husband!”

Jacob: “U-understood my lady! But what should I tell the lord..?”

Agatha: “I cannot see through my kin, tell him this! Go at once!”

Jacob: “Yes my lady!”

Jacob left the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

-My most trusted servant knows of my ability, yet questions me on the most basic of things? This is truly disappointing...With that said…

“A soul I cannot see through had been born of my womb, is this a sign?”

-Before becoming the wife of Issac Schneider, I was always a devout follower of the goddess Luna. Devout enough that I received her blessing of the【Moonlit Gaze】. And yet a child has been born from one such as I, that I cannot understand its worth to her. Is this a sign of wavering belief on my part or my husband’s? Or maybe it is an omen of things to come…

-Regardless, it is one that I cannot see through and therefore is not one that holds the grace of my goddess…

“Thus I shall consider it further and discuss with my husband, in order to pierce the darkness that surrounds it.”

She solidified her mindset, convincing herself that her spirit would not be shaken by the soul of a mere infant, even if it was her own. But the fact that the child had been born with no guidance, destiny, or blessings from the goddess was truly disturbing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fate: “Uaahhhhh……”

The sun shone in from the window and touched the floor just before the bookshelf...It was morning, but not very early since the sky was blue and the sun was out.

-I guess I did get to sleep without being disturbed…

*creak*

I turned my head to get a look at the door. I see jacob standing in the doorway, holding what looks like baby clothes and some food.

Jacob: “Hello, young master.”

It’s the same man from yesterday, but he seems to be straining himself to put on a small smile.

-I wonder what’s eating him?

Jacob: “I have come to dress and feed you, please do not resist.”

-Should I try to act more like a baby or is this some test of my intelligence? Come to think of it, my stats said that my intelligence is 1. Maybe that means that the knowledge I had in my world can’t be applied here or I have to find a use for it? Or maybe it’s just that my tiny, baby brain can’t handle thinking hard?

Jacob picks me up and brings me to the changing table, before dressing me up in small, wool pajamas.

-It’s nice to have clothes again, even if they are baby clothes.

Fate: “Uuuuu….”

Jacob: “Now it is time for you to eat.”

He picks a silver spoon out of his pocket with his gloved hand and opens a small glass jar containing what looks like a jelly of some sort.

*inhales*

-It doesn’t seem to have any smell, maybe they have some deodorization process for their goods or it’s…!

My mouth was simply gaping while I was thinking, so Jacob took the opportunity to shove a spoonful of the mysterious substance into my mouth.

-This…..doesn’t taste like anything.

Fate: “Uuaaaaaa…?”

Jacob gives us a blank look, not a mocking look or a menacing look just a blank one. Was this a test to determine if I already had knowledge of flavor?

-Guess I shouldn’t complain, it’s food after all.

Jacob just keeps giving us more spoonfuls until the entire jar is empty.

-Well, now I’m full.

Jacob, just keeps staring blankly, before placing me back in my crib.

Jacob: “It appears that you are well, I shall return in the evening with your next meal, young master.”

*creak*... *click*

Jacob has now exited the room after having changed me, clothed me, and fed me so he probably won’t be back for a while.

-I guess this gives me time to see what I can do to increase my stats.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacob: “I didn’t expect him to eat it all without opposition.”

-Isn’t that stuff flavorless, nutrient jel?

It looked like this wasn’t his first time eating either, so how was it so natural for a baby who isn’t even a day old? Could it be…?

Jacob: “...Was one of the maids spoilin’ im’?”

-I’ll need to have a talk with the ones in the kitchen!

*For those who are wondering, yes Jacob has an accent. He just attempts to hide it for fear of looking less elegant unless he’s alone(basically, he’s worried about sounding like a hick).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-It looks like Jacob didn’t notice that the board was loose.

With the board still loose, I effectively have a door out of this crib. Although, I definitely need to train stamina or else I’ll just fall asleep down there.

-I almost did that last night…

*sigh*

-I guess I wasn’t in the best shape, but it was still better than having these tiny limbs...and having to witness childbirth firsthand…*shudders.*

-Come to think of it, will I look like I did in my previous life when I grow up? My mom has blue eyes and black hair, so that’s similar but I don’t know what my father looks like...Who is my father?

My mother birthed me, Jacob was helping, the priest they mentioned probably came, and the servants lined the halls, but there was no mention of my father. Perhaps he is away on some sort of mission or hunt, he should be a noble after all?

-With that said, let’s try exercising. Let’s try sit ups first.

Fate: “Auuuuuhhhhh!”

*creak*

-...It’s hard to do sit-ups. Then let’s try getting used to getting out of the crib, otherwise it’ll be hard to exercise without creating loud noises.(aside from grunting)

I sat up and crawled over to the loose plank, promptly shoving it out of the way so that I could practice getting down without falling on my ass.

-Probably shouldn’t try pillows this time...unless……..Lightbulb!

Yesterday night, I tried getting onto the pillow by lowering myself down. So maybe what I need is just a bunch of pillows to jump down on!

-Wait….that’s a dumb idea. If I jump, even if it’ll raise my endurance, I’ll make a loud noise and that’ll be enough for someone to come checking...probably.

*sigh*

-Guess I’ll just have to try lowering myself off, ladder-style.

I grasped the wooden planks on the side of my crib and let my feet lower down, but they’re short so I’m a few inches from the ground.

-Guess I’ll just let go of the bars, no need to knock the crib over.

I let go of the bars and lower onto the floor, but as with most babies I fall over.

Fate: “Uuu..uuu...guhhhh…”

-I forgot...to account for…..balance!

So this is why most children start out crawling...a lack of balance. Not to mention that I can’t even stand upright to adjust my footing….

-This sucks. Guess I’ll try holding the railing of the crib to practice standing up, cause I really don’t like look pathetic.

And so I thought of my second goal in this world…

-I want to be able to stand up straight for the next time the witch tries to spy on me! Now that I think about it, isn’t this just doing what she wants? Whatever, time to learn how to stand...again!

I got up from the floor and proceeded to latch onto the side of the crib, while propping my back against it.

Fate: “Wauuuh…”

-It’s tiring just to prop myself up? Seriously, what the sh*t!

-I’m already getting tired, just by propping myself up?

*sigh*

-Just gotta work...through the urge to sleep...I did this so...many times back when I read...light novels…

I read a lot of light novels about worlds and situations like this. So I can guess for an early stage reincarnator, the infant stage is one of the most important and the most vulnerable

If it works like it does in the novels, then growth potential is very high during this stage even if the MC’s stats are low. Trouble is, they all usually had some kind of skill or blessing from a deity to help them achieve this growth.

-This... just never stops... does it? I have to...imagine that once...a stat increases...a full point, then...it’ll become harder to level it up with... the same... method…

Meaning, that I need to get the most out of my infant body’s natural weakness while I still can. As I get older, I’ll need to strain myself further and that’s not even adding the fact that I’m not an MC. I’m probably not even on the level of background story character right now…Background characters with a history are usually strong enough so that they seemed tough or memorable, but then the MC copies or surpasses them with barely any effort. In comparison to them, I don’t even have any powers or magic.

-Come to think of it …….I need to train... my mana...After all, that...doesn’t require physical effort…

Wait, why am I physically training, instead of magical training? Is it an order from the witch or some instinct that’s telling me what I need to survive is not magic, but skills?

-Well...I can’t get...skills unless...I’m free to train...as I please...and with a body that can...handle it…

I can feel my tiny knees buckling beneath me, trying to stave off the urge to collapse.

-I guess that’s...enough for now...since...I...need enough t-to….get back...to bed….

Let’s check the book for today!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

• HP: 1.3/1.4

• Stats:

• Endurance: 1.2

• Wisdom: 1.2

• Stamina: 1.6

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 3 of the Familiar of Fate

The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 3 - The Path Preferred
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fate: “...guuuuuu…*inhales*..guu…*exhales*

-Looks like I slept well.

Looking around the room, it doesn’t look like Jacob’s come back yet. The sun is dimming slightly, behind the clouds, so it’s at least early evening.

-Might as well train again if my legs aren’t too sore…

I check my legs, but sadly they’re still sore from forcing myself to practice standing. So, I don’t want to get up and there’s nothing else to do. This suddenly feels a lot more like home.

*growl...*

-Looks like I burned all the energy from the “food” earlier. Guess I’ll wait for Jacob or someone else to come with my next meal.

I take another look around the room. It’s decently large, but I don’t have measurement tools so I can’t tell exactly. It will be a decent while of training stamina or agility before I am able to get to most places in this room or otherwise. But come to think of it…

-Maybe if I develop my magic, then I can develop some sort of spell that will take me across the room like 【Teleport】or 【Magical Platform】!

I don’t have spell knowledge or an idea of the spell structure in this world, but I should be able to make something like a light-ball right? If I at least had that, then I could navigate in the dark. Then again, if it was just for navigating dark spaces, something like night vision would be more discreet.

-Let’s try meditating. It works in martial arts novels.

Although that’s usually gathering aura from within oneself, but this still requires focus. But I’d better lie down instead of sitting crossed legged, just incase someone comes to check on me.

-Well, it’s just focusing on one thing or nothing so this will either help me train or put me to sleep until dinner, so it’s a win either way.

I lie down and close my eyes, trying to block out any sensations that might disturb my focus…….

I see nothing...it’s dark... and cold……

-It’s like how every atheist describes death and how so many fearful humans picture it to be………except…

She’s not here……..When I died, I got to witness a sea of stars and an island of the sand of hourglasses. I got to see someone more beautiful than anyone I had ever known. I got a second chance at life...and at revenge.

-So why did I question it back then? Was I still held back by morality or the laws of society, even though those don’t matter here? Am I still now?

-But she told me that I could get revenge... she didn’t tell me I had to or that she could make me...She’s just assuming I will…..Ugh, whatever! I don’t need to think about this right now!

Fate: “!”

I feel something, a slight shift in temperature...I wander towards it….

*bonk!*

-OW

It appears that the sound I heard and the pain I felt, were from hitting my head on the bars. Jacob is standing in front of my crib with a face that shows he’s stifling a laugh and a bowl of something piping hot...

-I guess it must be dinner time. It sucks that I wasn’t able to discover magic, but once gain food has pulled me away from dark thoughts! But I guess I fell asleep, which is understandable given my subpar stamina...and that I’m a baby.

Jacob blows on a spoonful of something a couple of times and brings it towards my mouth. I try to see what it is, but he shoved it in my mouth too fast for me to look! It tastes...a bit like chicken, but only a bit…

-But even if it is just a bit...It’s the first meal I’ve had in this world that had any flavor...But …...it's hot!!!

*cough!* *cough!* *cough!*

Jacob looks at me with a dead-eyed expression, like he was a cameraman who couldn’t stop recording a scene until it was over.

*gasp!* *wheeze!*

-What the f*ck, you elderly sadist?!

Fate: “Uahhhh!!!! Uahhhhh!!!”

Jacob grabbed my head and forcefully turned it towards the plate, which he was purposely lowering so that we could see it. He then points to a jar that seems to contain the same kind of ‘jelly’ that I ate earlier.

-Is this supposed to be some sort of ultimatum?! Tasteless ‘jelly’ or extremely hot, slightly-flavoured chicken soup? Is he trying to gauge my tolerance or…

I try forcibly restrain myself to stop crying and Jacob points to the bowl.

-...He’s actually to train a baby like a dog. What the f*ck?

So he’s using a reward and punish system on a child who isn’t even a day old yet? Looks like he may be a genuine sadist or…

-It might be my mother’s orders. Nobody says she has to love her child to raise it, but I guess I was expecting some form of affection.

Jacob gets a spoonful of soup and blows it one less time than the last one. He then holds it in front of my face and gives me another blank look before blowing on it again and holding it close to my face.

-If I try blowing on it, it’ll just spill on my hands or in the crib! So he’s just trying to get me to swallow the soup, hot!

I really don’t want to do this, but if it means that I gain some favor from ‘my family’ then I’ll just have to bear with the pain! I bite down on the spoon…

*clack*

-It burns!

Fate: *umphh!*

『【Endurance】has increased by 0.2!』

Jacob gives me a cold look. It feels like he’s trying to peer into my soul! Fear overwhelms my senses, so the one thing I feel the instinct to do is…

*gulp!*

I quickly suck the hot soup down my throat in a large gulp! But I can still feel his gaze trying to pierce through me. He must still be gauging my behavior…

*exhales...* *inhales...* *exhales...*

I control my breathing in rhythm, despite the burning pain I feel from my throat…

-Is this good enough, you f*cking sadist?!

Jacob promptly moves the soup bowl to the back of the tray and begins feeding me the ‘jelly.’ It’s tasteless, but I don’t hesitate in eating it.

-This is a lot better than extremely hot soup, but it sucks that it’s flavorless. Besides...I’m just not sure what I did wrong!

After I’ve finished the ‘jelly,’ Jacob grabs the jar and begins to leave with it and the tray.

*creak*

The door creaks closed, leaving me alone in the room.

*cough!* *cough!* *cough!*

I begin to cough violently from how scratchy my burnt throat is.

-Seriously though, what the hell was that bastard trying to accomplish other than training me like one would an unruly puppy?! Total bullsh*t…Not to mention that if the burning from that soup raised my endurance by 0.2, then either my body is even weaker than I imagined or there was something in that soup specifically made to hurt me!

Though the pain has helped eliminate the fatigue I had remaining from my nap, but it hurts my pride and I feel extremely bitter.

-My first taste of food with flavor in this world and it just had to be scalding, slightly-flavored chicken soup and it was served by a damn sadist!

It might have just been sadism, but I wonder if my mother might have also played a role in this event.

-Then again, I don’t know a thing about her personality so I guess that remains to be seen. With that said, or rather thought, let’s get back to training!

I got up, pushed the plank away, and began my standing exercises once more. Yet, there was still one question at the forefront of my thoughts…

-Why did my wisdom increase in that moment?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacob walked out of its room.

Jacob: “My lady, did you see everything through your【Share Senses】skill?”

I walked out of the shadows, gracefully as one my status demands, even in trusted company.

Agatha: “Indeed, it seems to have understood who’s dominant in this house. Though it still has a hateful gaze, which you did well to push punishment for…”

Jacob: “I am honored to do your bidding my lady. If I may be so bold, why have you not attempted to show it more forceful methods in person?”

My servant is capable and trustworthy, yet still manages to disappoint in situations such as this.

Agatha: *Sigh* “If we punish it too severely, then it will fail as a tool and disobey orders more frequently. It is important to make it feel that he can belong in this house by obeying and performing well, thus we only need to make him feel disparity and obedience…”

Besides, if it’s father favors it instead of any future children, then I may lose my place in this house instead of it.

Jacob: “Your foresight and intelligence are brilliant as always, my lady!”

I have to restrain the corners of my lips from rising. But he is right, as I am a brilliant and beautiful servant of our goddess Luna!

Agatha: “...That is as obvious as it is eternal, but make sure you continue attending to it with my instructions.”

Jacob: *smirk* “Yes, my lady Agatha.”

9. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 4 - Bottlenecking
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

I began standing upright, clutching the planks of my crib for balance. It has become a bit less difficult to get footing, but I don’t have enough body strength to walk or stay like this without the support.

-I suppose it would be creepy for a baby who’s not even a day old to have the power to walk, in fact I’d consider it strange that I can even crawl.

I can feel myself getting tired, but...I feel more ‘stable’ than I was the last time. But with that said, it doesn’t mean that I’m improving much and considering that I don’t know the average stats of a normal person in this world, I can’t say I feel too proud of myself.

-Don’t MC’s usually start out or find some sort of ‘appraisal-type’ ability near the beginning of the story? But, I guess that’d be if I had one of those ‘blessings.’

Though, I feel that’ll be harder on the ‘Witch of Fate’ than us, considering she actually has to have her power stolen and mixed with foreign elements by the other gods. Maybe by helping us get revenge, she has some way to steal back her power…

-But I don’t know anything at this point about what the gods intend to do with the powers if the reincarnators can’t handle them. All I know is that they will have powers I don’t have and will be brought here for a generic quest, with no certain villain.

After all, despite the little she told me about the ‘Resurgence of Demons,’ she didn’t actually tell me if there was a demon lord or ‘dark god’ leading the charge. That is how it works in most stories, but there could be other explanations.

-If I remember right, I had 1.6 stamina and if we add in the 0.2 points I’ve earned, then I am almost at 2 stamina! It isn’t that great of an accomplishment for a normal person, but for me it’s great!

If I have 2 stamina, then maybe I can stand up for a minute or two more. Granted it won’t have that much impact for me as an adult, but it’s a stepping stone for my development! Unfortunately, it will probably serve as proof for my theory of decaying returns in regards to my stats.

Fate: “Guhhh...hhh...h…”

-I guess...I was a bit too excited, but...it seems my fatigue is quickly catching up with me…….

But with all that said, I don’t have that much stamina and since I’m a baby with not much development in any of my other stats, 2 stamina is practically nothing. But maybe my goal should be…

-End...to end. I want to...be able to get...from...one wall of the room...to the other without getting...tired. That way...I’ll be able...to start my...agility...training…!

-0.1 points... to go...!

I can feel my strength draining and my urge to simply fall asleep on the floor, growing...

-But I can...take...it! I can...keep going...until...I’ve achieved...today’s...goal!!..!

I feel my legs keep trying to give way from under me and my mind slipping from consciousness. It’s similar to yesterday, but the feeling seems to have intensified. This must be the bottleneck for my first point increase.

-If this is anything... similar to the novels... I’ve read, there’s always a point where... it... feels like you make no... progress but you just need... to overcome the limit. I didn’t think……. it’d be that way for one point of stamina, but… the difference in feeling is... probably...larger for a baby…….

Fate: “Guuu...ug…….uuuuhhhh!!!”

-Come...on…..you……….b*tch!

『【Stamina】has increased to 2!』

*Gasp!* *Exhale!* *Inhale!....*

Fate: “Guuu…….”

-I have officially...made...it...to the next...point…!

I passed the first bottleneck, but that was only 1 point and I could only barely hold on. I should probably get back in my crib…

I hoist myself through the gap with what strength I have left, even leaving the plank moved to the side without trying to put it back…

-Go...ood...ni..ght….

I gaze at the moon, before falling asleep. So I guess I’m officially a day old…

Fate: “m..uuu..nn….”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*creak*

Jacob: “Young master, I’ve come with a drink…!...”

I see the young master, his face sweating and red with beads of sweat running down his forehead!

-Just what happened?!

I don’t remember my lady or I allowing anyone into the young master’s room...Lady Agatha made sure that none of us were wearing clothes that contained pestilence or spells that could disturb the examinations!

- Does this mean that someone in the mansion snuck into the room to see him, but if so who?!

Jacob shifted his gaze around the room, trying to spot any idiosyncrasies that could lead to a possible conclusion. Until, he noticed a board that had been pushed out of the side of the crib.

-Could he have possibly strained himself enough, trying to move that plank, that he ended up in this condition?

He checked all around Fate’s small body, but not a single splinter mark could be found.

Jacob: “No, that doesn’t sound right…”

-Even if that were the case, it wouldn’t be this bad...Could it be the soup? It was a soup made from spika fruit and a light chicken broth, so we used it for the test…

The more Jacob thought about it, the more he suspected that his master’s child might just be of an extremely frail constitution.

-The soup was made with spika fruit in order to check their resistance and how well they would follow demands presented such pain, but the damage shouldn’t have been enough to cause this…

Jacob: “I shall inform the lady of the child’s frail constitution, but first…”

Jacob quickly passed through the open door and got a towel from one of the passing maids, before rushing to the bathroom and wetting the towel using the faucet.

-I must stabilize his condition or the lady shall have my head!

Even if the lady had a certain level of disgust for the child, if he died, then the house would lose a potential heir!

-I must not allow this to happen.

And so, with a moist towel and a bucket of water in hand, Jacob dashed through the halls back to the newborn’s room.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Ughhh...why is everything hot..?

Fate: “Uhhhhhh…”

I tried shifting my head only to realize that my head was moist, with something covering it and that my body was in a good deal of pain. But the pain was bearable and was probably just extreme muscle pain and built-up fatigue from the workout.

-I should try and see if anyone is around. It can’t be good for this sort of pain to happen to an infant, considering that an infant shouldn’t even be doing something like this or usually wouldn’t be able to…

I see Jacob sitting next to my crib in a chair, probably from some other room. He’s got his head down in his hands…

-Is he genuinely worried? I somehow doubt that’s the case, but if I’m too much of a cynic then I probably won’t make many friends…

Fate: “Uuuuhh…*cough!*...hhh…”

Jacob picks his head up and directs his gaze towards me.

-Why did I just cough...Oh, right. I forgot that I choked and got my throat burnt by burning, lightly-flavored chicken soup. Damn, my memory as an infant sucks even more than myself as an autistic teenager.

Jacob takes the object, which appears to be a small towel, off my head and dunks it in a bucket before putting it back on my head. He looks...a bit fearful, but doesn’t seem to have genuine concern for me…

-Oh, he’s just worried that he’ll lose his job if he doesn’t take care of me. Well, that puts a damper on things more than this situation already did.

*cough!* *cough!*

Jacob pours a small glass of water from a bottle he had put on the dressing station and comes over to have us drink it.

I drink it happily.

*gulp* *gulp* *gulp*

Fate: “Ahhhh…”

-My throat feels so much better...But seriously, what the hell did they put in that soup?

Jacob seems to notice my alleviated expression and has us drink the rest of the water before taking the glass and vase with him, out of the room.

*creak*

-Since my condition was bad before, he’ll probably be back soon. So I should see what I’m still capable in the meantime.

I try moving my legs and arms, but can only move slightly with great difficulty. I can still move my neck and head with barely any pain though.

-Wow, the pain of moving my limbs is putting so much strain that my endurance is increasing. It must be some sort of muscle tearing. Fortunately, with rest it should heal just fine and become somewhat stronger for it.

I try to move and exercise again, but the pain and my fatigue just won’t let me try anymore than I already have.

-Guess +0.1 Endurance will have to do for now. I might as well try going into a trance again since I don’t have anything better to do.

I get comfortable and rest my eyes, until once again I see only shadow and feel only cold.

-So this again? I thought magic was supposed to be obvious to see and find...but I guess that particular idea only applies when you know what you’re looking for.

Last time, I was rushed out of my trance when Jacob brought soup and I tried to follow the heat. So I didn’t manage to shut out all of my senses…….It’s still cold and dark, but I can’t move to try finding something or somewhere else.

-Perhaps my ability to move around in a trance is dependant upon my physical or mental prowess, but in both departments I’m sorely lacking. In other words, I’m out of luck. Wait...luck…? Or….

I could feel my lips curling into a smile.

-If I need luck...I have fortune! And if I need to find magic, then there’s a certain item I have that may give me an idea!

Fate: “Journal!”

A bound-book of spectral blue energy forms in front of me with the same words I remember on the binding, ‘for the Familiar of Fate.’

-But that was weird, my speech was actually enunciated and clear instead of baby talk? Still, with the journal, I might find something about it that applies to this void! But first…

I cracked open the journal, to page 2.

• HP: 0.8/1.4

• Condition: Trance, Fever

• Stats:

• Endurance: 1.4

• Wisdom: 1.2

• Stamina: 2

-It looks like it kept track of my stats even when I wasn’t using it, this is good to know. I didn’t want to actually have to think over my stats every time I wanted to measure my development.

Everything seems to be fine, except for a few status conditions. Looks like the fever I presumably had earlier is still going, the damage from the soup and the exercise hasn’t healed, and trance is a condition, apparently.

-But the first page hasn’t updated, which means the ‘Witch’ still hasn’t gotten to writing anything new. Plus, my knowledge pages haven’t recorded any new observations, except....

『Each stat appears to have different ‘bottlenecks’ for every individual, most likely based on previous stats.』

*thud*

I close the book with a thud and scan the exterior cover to cover, marvelling at the spectral blue glow surrounding it.

-No matter how much I look at this book, it seems exactly like a tome from a manga. Glowy, floaty, and one in a vast array of colors.

But there still doesn’t seem to be anything around me...wait, there is something...It looks like a dim, small dark sphere of liquid.

-What is a random, colored space drink doing here?

I wouldn’t have even been able to notice that it was there if not for the dim light given off by the journal. But it just seems to be floating through the air, almost certain to barely pass overhead.

-If I just think it, can I reach out and grab it?

I keep trying to reach my body out to intercept it...but I can’t shift in the direction of the sphere.

-Ok, looks like I can’t stretch out with my whole body, but maybe if I really focus on just one part of me…

I try to focus all of my attention on my right arm and hand. Surprisingly, this seems to be working, albeit with severe difficulty.

-Yes...yes! Just a little further….

The strain intensifies and my arm, once again stops in midair, just a little below where the shifting, black sphere has almost reached.

-Crap! If I can...j-just...move...my hand!

I desperately stretch my hand further outward, trying as hard as I can to grab the sphere! But my hand stops just before it can reach it!

-Please please... please, just…my…finger...!!!

I divert all the focus I have to move my finger just close enough to the sphere that it can reach! My finger passes through a low part of the liquid sphere and only manages to scrape away a bit of it, before the rest of the sphere passes over my head and out of range of the journal’s light…

-All I got was…!

The small bit of liquid that I scraped from the sphere begins to squirm and shift, eventually turning into a thin, dark mist and scattering into my nose.

-It burns!!!

It feels like I just inhaled a spoonful of pepper! Soon, my conciseness begins to fade and I drift into sleep, with the feeling that something is running down from my nostril….

『You have unlocked the【Magic】stat!』

『【Magic】has increased by 0.05!』

10. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 5 - Imbalancing Act

*creak*

Jacob reentered the room an hour later, after informing the lady of the young master’s frailty only to be greeted by the same feverish expression and a nosebleed.

Jacob: “O-Oh my goddess!”

The child that had appeared to be regaining normalcy a mere hour ago, was breathing heavily and exhibiting much more serious symptoms than before.

-I thought that the child being frail might’ve been myself trying to excuse the chef or mere superstition, but this is much more serious than superstition! I must get the lady and priest!

Jacob dashed out once again, but far more frantically than last time! The other servants were very confused at to what could have happened in the child’s room that could make him take such a pace through the manor?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can still feel the burning sensation in my nose!

-What the hell was that liquid and why did it turn into a sentient cloud of pepper?!

I tried to open my eyes earlier, but I can’t seem to pull myself out of the trance! I can only hope that there isn’t something wrong with my body!

-Maybe there’s still something I need to do in order to wake up from this pain, but what?! The only thing I can think of that caused this reaction is the mist!

It’s possible that only one with a natural or acquired skill can absorb the substance without any repercussions, if that’s so then I can’t process that on my own! It might be possible to just spread it through my body until it’s so spread out that it won’t be able to affect me like this…!

-I can’t think of any other way, otherwise I’ll be stuck with all this mist clogging my nose till I die of pain!

I try focusing on the mist, but it’s already inside my body and I have no way to control it. Instead, I’ll just try moving my body around and see if gravity still applies to this thing!

I shift focus to the individual parts of my body, moving its joints and limbs like those of a mannequin or stick figure.

-First, move knees into a sitting position. Second, stimulate one knee joint and then its attached leg outward a bit. Third, prop the leg up and push from the knee until standing!

It looks like it’s working, but now the substance seems to have started spreading from my nose to my chest when I breathed. So now the pain has gotten to my chest and is still in my nose, but is only slightly more bearable…

-This...f*cking hurts...!

I slowly stretch from side to side, angling my limbs and chest upwards and downwards to spread the mist. From chest to arms, to lower torso, and then to my legs! I can feel the pain lessening a bit more and a new feeling of power begins to flow through me…

-It still hurts, but a lot less. But what is this new feeling that makes me feel like I could take over the world?!

『【Magic】has increased by 0.05!』

The feeling becomes more and more clear, but just as quickly as I felt it appearing it vanishes into nothing…

-I guess that stuff I sucked in was probably mana. Though to get what little I did from that sphere and still suffer like that, just shows how weak my body is…

Still, now that the ‘mana’ has been processed, I should hopefully be able to wake up now.

Fate: “Ug...ag.hhhh…..”

???: “Hahhh, he’s awake!”

-...What?

Jacob: “You’ve done it, priest!”

-...Jacob and….

It looks like a man in a large white cloak, covered in runes and a large crescent on the cloak’s chest area. From what Jacob just said, this man is some sort of priest, presumably some kind of healer for the family.

???: “I’m glad that I was able to make it in time, but a near-death experience just a day after being born...what exactly happened?”

-Near-death experience, then all the pain I felt wasn’t just in my head...

Jacob: “We’re unsure as to how it occurred, but he started to burn up last night and an hour after I left to fetch more towels, he had a large nosebleed.”

-You went to fetch towels? Then how come it took you that long to get back and notice that?!

‘Priest’: “And all this occurred within the span of a few hours, before you contacted me?”

Jacob: “That is unfortunately correct…”

Jacob turns his head toward me slightly, with a dejected expression on his face.

-Is he genuinely sad that I was sick or is he just imagining some sort of hellish nightmare that would ensue if he lost his job?

*clack*

-I hear something…

Jacob: “M-my lady!”

‘Priest’: “Lady Agatha, rest assured that your child is…!”

I see my mother, this noblewoman they refer to as ‘Lady Agatha.’ Her cold glare shifts from Jacob and the priest to me, but she doesn’t seem to have any concern in her eyes at all.

-If she really doesn’t give a sh*t, then why is she here?

I keep trying to close my eyes or look away, but mother’s gaze keeps drawing my eyes back in her direction.

-This feels awkward as hell. Also, why does it seem like her eyes are glowing?

Her gaze is piercing blue, with her eyes almost seeming to glow. It’s like she’s trying to stare into our soul…

-Wait...this feels...familiar…

I could’ve sworn that this was the exact same feeling I had with Jacob, when he served me dinner last night.

-Does this mean both of them have some sort of ability that can exert this sort of pressure to the exact same extent? Or does it mean that mother somehow shared her gaze with Jacob with some sort of illusion magic?

Her gaze seems to grow more intense as she gazes at the area around my nose, perhaps doubting if the events Jacob lived through were true.

Agatha: “I see, well you have done your service well, priest. Both for myself and my child, I thank you most sincerely.”

She speaks elegantly, but her voice is almost monotone.

-Honestly, it’d be difficult to tell my mother apart from a computer if they both looked the same.

Priest: “Y-yes, lady Agatha. It is truly an honor to have served one who has garnered the blessings of our esteemed goddess, Luna!”

-This guy might be new around noble families...or the ‘blessings’ he mentioned make her an important enough individual that not showing respect would be insane. Then again, it might just be that priests have low standing in this world...still, Luna?

Given the name Luna and that symbol of a crescent moon on the priest’s garb would make her the Goddess of the Moon, though I’m not sure what kind of powers would be associated with her.

-Maybe a crescent-slash attack or the power to control the tides? No, wait...that second one sounds like something a water god would be used for, so probably not.

Agatha: “Now, please return to your work. You are a very important member of our family and carry the blessings of our goddess, just as I do.”

The priest seems to almost tear up when hearing those words, before promptly proceeding down the hall at a brisk pace.

Agatha: “...Do you really not know the reason for its condition? Having to treat it as a loved child is a chore I would not wish to repeat.”

Mother’s glare shifts from myself to Jacob, finally giving myself some breathing room from the pressure of her gaze.

-Seriously, what ‘skill’ is that?! Is it something like【Bloodlust】or 【Intimidation】? Again, I don’t know the skills so I can’t be sure, but unless that gaze runs in the family that has to be a skill of some sort!

Jacob: “No, my lady. I did see a loose plank on the side of the crib, but even if the young master moved it, it wouldn’t explain these sudden symptoms.”

Mother shifts her gaze back and forth between me and the side of the crib, where I shifted that plank out of the way. With that gaze of hers, I can’t even come close to guessing what’s running through her mind.

Agatha: “Well, it appears that it did indeed push it out of the way, but strained itself trying to occupy time after dinner and ended up in its previous state. Though, you were right in suggesting that its frailty was one of the inciting factors of the incident…”

-What the hell! How the f*ck did she figure it out, to that degree?!

The more important question being, if she knows we moved the plank and were occupying time, how much does she know and how does she know it? This is either instincts, insight, or some skill...or a bit of all of the above.

Jacob: “But our…*cough*...’experiment’... was not the cause?”

Agatha: “No, my servant. Now, have the carpenter fix that and reinforce the crib...probably better to nail it to the floor as well. Make sure it does not have us waste our blessings from the Luna Church priests.”

Mother turns around, facing away from Jacob and myself.

Jacob: “By your command, my lady.”

Both Jacob and mother proceed out of the room, with Jacob taking a separate corridor, presumably to get the carpenter.

*creak*

The door creaks shut behind them and I finally relax my posture.

-Her gaze is wicked, her eyes are clear blue, she doesn’t recognize me as her child, and her statements are painfully true. Just who is my mother? Will my father be the same way? Will they just adopt a child or have another to spite me?

I can feel my mood plummeting further and further with every second. But my mood and how happy I am are moot concerns right now, since they’re going to be reinforcing the crib so I can’t get out.

-Seriously, why did this have to happen?

If I’m restricted to the crib, then the only thing I can do is try to find a new way out or...go fishing around in that void for mana that my body has to suffer to absorb.

-I probably need more HP before I can try something like that again. Come to think of it, if mana can harm the body then are all adept magic-casters in this world buff? Then again, I can imagine situations where people willingly let their bodies be consumed by mana and other forces to advance their research, powers, and even their lifespans.

But lifespan increases are usually the territory of alchemists in most stories, like Nicholas Flamel with the philosopher’s stone.

-Damn, I miss Harry Potter books. Then again, I prefer ‘Sorcerer's Stone’ to ‘Philosopher’s Stone.’ Alliteration just works.

-Come to think of it, what path should pursue? Alchemist, wizard, sorcerer, warrior? I guess it only matters what choices I actually get, if any.

I don't know what mechanisms or laws, jobs operate under in this world. They’re probably requirement based though.

-Come to think of it, I don’t even know the specific differences between a sorcerer and a wizard. I think sorcerers had a greater affinity with artificial substances and wizards were more in tune with nature or something?

Regardless, I need to improve my endurance and by extension, my HP. Otherwise, I won’t even be able to handle the mana necessary to even think about becoming a wizard!

*Sigh*

It was yet another problem for the lady of the house, Agatha Schneider. This time it was that her child, who she didn’t even recognize as her own, had gotten severely sick and nearly died.

-I didn’t even think to check its stats while I was trying to check the condition of its soul. With this, that child has cost me another favor to our goddess, Luna.

Agatha: “That ungrateful little brat…”

-He has not inherited my blessings, yet my eyes are the same as his. Nor has he inherited his father’s gifts, otherwise that might explain some things.

The more she thought about, the more confused she was. After all, was a child who could not be seen through with the blessing of their parent’s god common or even rare? No, it was normally impossible unless the marriage had been cursed or one of the spouses untrue.

Agatha: *sigh* “If I can’t control it, then I will be mocked as some sort of incompetent harlot for the rest of my days, by the noble ladies of the other houses.”

Indeed, it did not matter if one understood their child perfect, but if they could not even control them and their lives then it was a sign of incompetence. Neither society nor reality would be kind in this respect.

-Once the child grows old enough, I will enact my methods no matter how cruel and treat it as I would a mongrel!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Unknown to Fate, his own mother was cursing him so much that it might be mistaken for a satanic ceremony, elsewhere in the mansion.

-I guess I can just not try looking for an opening…

Logically speaking, if the crib is bolted to the floor it won’t creak as much and I’ll be able to exercise in the crib, without much trouble.

-I guess I was only getting out of the crib before because it felt cramped and if I was working out, it would creak a lot. Now one of the cons will be gone and...I really don’t want to see mother here, again. It always feels like she’s going to kill me every time she looks at me.

I still haven’t figured out whether it’s a skill or if she just has those eyes naturally. If her eyes are natural, there’s a chance I’ll inherit them.

-Those eyes would be cool looking, but people would always run away or fear me everywhere I go. I admit that scaring people is fun, but I won’t make friends or gain allies if I have the scariest face in the world!

If I don’t have allies then I won’t have anyone to help me when the reincarnators come and if I don’t have friends I’ll die alone…

-Wait...since when did I acknowledge the quest to kill the reincarnators? Then again, I think I do want to kill them so...if our goals coincide, I’ll side with the ‘Witch.’

Well, I feel like I’ve thought this through for long enough and clearly, the wisdom stat agrees with my thinking.

-But I guess I’ll have one last stretch outside the crib since I don’t have to worry about being spotted, now that they already know.

I crawled over to the loose plank, moved it out of the way, and lowered myself to the floor.

-Now, what’s the best exercise to raise my body’s endurance?

Push ups? No, that would be helpful for strength, but I want enough endurance to handle magic. Planking? No, I feel that might be helpful but I might just get tired and smack my face into the floor again.

-Let’s just do sit ups.

-Sit ups increase core strength and exercise tears & repairs muscle fibres, so this should do for a simple exercise. Plus it’s just sitting up, but with like...30% more effort, at least in my book.

I laid down on the floor and began the process of sitting up with my hands behind my head, for cushioning.

Fate: “Guuu…h!

-One!

Fate: “G..uuuu...h!

-Two!

Fate: “G..g..uuuuu...h!!”

-Th..ree!

Fate: “G-g..guuu..uuh!”

-F...fou..r!

-I am not going to stop until I’ve reached the bottleneck for endurance!

If I can just get the bottleneck, then break past it while in the bed it’ll save me the effort of getting back afterwards!

Fate: “G-g..g-g..uuu..uuuuuuu..hh!!”

-F-f..iv...e-e!

Fate: “Gu...a..ggg.hhhh!!!”

-S-si..x…!!

I can feel the sweat beads flowing down my forehead, which means this is all I should do for now. After all, going past the limit with this body might summon mother through some terrifying means.

-I really don’t want to have a fever again…Plus, it’ll be more comfortable once I’m exercising in my bed.

I pull myself up with a bit of difficulty, into my crib. I even left the plank as it was, since I’m already labelled a problem-child and the plank is already loose.

Fate: *yawn*

-Time to take a nap and wait for my muscles to heal and for the carpenter to get here.

…………………………………

Fate: “G...uuu..hhhh…”

*creak*

Fate: “Uguhhhhhahhh…”

-Did...somebody…

*yawn*

I see a well-built man with a bushy beard, though he’s...smaller than I thought he’d be…

-Is he a dwarf? I was wondering when I would be able to see a fantasy race, like a beast-person or a spirit, but lo and behold the first fantasy race I met was a dwarf.

I guess dwarves are some of the best craftsman in novels and anime, but aren’t they usually blacksmiths and not carpenters? I see Jacob approach from the doorway, leading another man. The new man is skinny and elderly, like Jacob, but he has more of a refined feel to him.

Jacob: “So this is the crib I informed you about. Mr. Doyle, please grab the young master and the mattress and remove them from the nearby area. Mr. Nevil, please inspect the crib and plan all necessary repairs and additions to insure the young master’s safety.”

Doyle & Nevil: “Yes sir.”

-So this ‘Mr. Nevil’ is the carpenter, but what is ‘Doyle’ doing here? Is he some sort of assistant since ‘Mr. Nevil’ appears to be quite old or does he serve another purpose.

Doyle: “...”

Fate: “!”

Without me realizing, Doyle has popped myself and my mattress out of the crib and walks over to the other end of the room, before lowering the mattress back down.

-Ughhh...I officially managed to find a way to create simple roller coasters for babies...eat your heart out...six flags…!

I feel sick, but it seems I was proven wrong in regards to my internal statement of ‘this might be the last time I get out.’

Doyle laughs at me a bit, then goes over to help ‘Mr. Nevil’ look at my crib. So, I might as well take a nap while I wait for them to get it over with…

*yawn*

------------------------------------------------------

Doyle: “Hey, Nev.”

Nevil: “Doyle, please keep your actions professional. We are here to do a service for the Schneider household, even if it is small.”

Doyle: “Settle down, you old geezer. I was just laughing because he’s so tiny!”

Nevil: “Aren’t all babies small? They grow as they age and there’s no interference from nature most of the time...except for you.”

Doyle was particularly stung by this comment, for he had long been tormented due to the fact that he was shorter than many dwarves his age. Even most human teenagers had long surpassed him!

Doyle: “You’re right...but at this stage in life, I can take pleasure in knowing that I’m taller than them and that they should look up at me like a mighty king!”

-He’s really having an ego trip at the thought of having someone smaller around, isn’t he?

Nevil contemplated this for a moment, considering that the only reason Doyle volunteered to help him was to get the joy of being taller than someone, even if that someone was a noble’s child and several decades younger than himself.

11. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 6 - Limits

I am still waiting for Doyle and ‘Mr. Nevil’ to get done with repairing my crib...

-Witch, if you’re reading my mind, you’re probably wondering why I’m adding the ‘Mr’ to Nevil’s name. The reason for this is that he somehow holds a feeling of wisdom and contentedness that I’d expect of one his age, thus I feel a level of respect for him.

Jacob seems to be about the same age, but the speed at which he is capable of moving doesn’t suit his appearance at all.

‘Doyle’: “So you figuring those linings around the outside bars will keep em’ from trying to get out again?”

‘Mr. Nevil’: “It is not that I ‘figure’ that they will keep him in, I know they will. The probable reason for Jacob bringing us here is that Jacob wants us to keep him in, so I will do my job and make this crib safe.”

-I appreciate the safe part, but please just get to the part where you nail the crib to the floor so I can continue my training.

‘Doyle’: “Yeah, yeah so do you just want me to hold it while you nail it down?”

‘Mr. Nevil’: “It would certainly be a help. Considering that you didn’t come here to help me in the first place, I’m quite surprised you’re offering.”

‘Doyle’: “Well, I figured I might as well pay ya’ back for letting me gawk at the brat.”

‘Mr. Nevil’: *sigh* “That isn’t paying me back, it’s paying the Schneider Household back. We are here to do a job for them, not ourselves. Otherwise, it would be leisure-work.”

-Schneider? Is that my mother’s last name or my father’s? Either way, if Schneider is my last name then why does it not show up in my stats page?

I want to check my page for details, but it’ll have to wait till later. After all, I don’t want to be caught with the magical, floating book.

*bang!* *bang!* *bang!* *bang!* *bang!* *bang!* *bang!* *bang!* *bang!*

The loud noise rings out across the room, forcing me to cover up my tiny ears.

-Even in this life, I might still be autistic. *sigh* Guess I’ll never be able to enjoy loud music...or any music played in public.

I had an odd disdain for music in public spaces, but it was quieter than listening to loud music with headphones….Maybe I just couldn’t stand anything that wasn’t high sound-quality.

-Though I guess that means that I won’t be able to enjoy music in this world since there is no internet, headphones, or other devices.

*bang!* *bang!*... *bang!*

‘Mr. Nevil’: “Jacob, our task is complete. Please give Lady Schneider my regards and make sure our work is sufficient.”

‘Doyle’: “‘Our work?’ So you’re actually acknowledging that I helped? Now there’s a surprise for the ages...and by ages, I mean those that have treated you so poorly, heh!”

‘Mr. Nevil’: “It is rare that you did something that you didn’t screw up, so of course it’s worthy of my acknowledg…!”

*clap!*

Jacob: “Yes, thank you gentlemen. A servant shall grant you your pay on your way out of the manor and I shall give my lady Agatha my sincerest regards. Now be on your way.”

Jacob gives them a ‘thank you’ with a stern voice and shows them out the door.

-Does he realize that he could’ve got them to carry me and the mattress to the crib? Or maybe he just doesn’t like them that much and wanted them gone so bad that he didn’t care?

Jacob walks over and lifts the mattress over his head with me on it, again showing a strength that would be considered uncharacteristic for his age. He places me down in the crib.

-Looks like they did a good job.

It was the same crib, but now there were numerous bars tacked onto the sides. It could be mistaken for a small, wooden jail cell. Aside from that, the biggest change is that the base of the crib is now nailed to the floor.

-I guess it makes me a little claustrophobic, but I’m a baby so it’s still relatively big. Plus, all I wanted out of this was for it to be nailed to the floor, but I got a bit more privacy out of it.

With the new bars in place, I’ll be harder to see from a distance. Thus, I’ll have more time to assume a lazier attitude if anyone comes to disturb me.

Jacob: “Alright, young master. You appear to be healthy, but please do rest. Then again, you don’t understand what I’m saying, at least not yet.”

Jacob looms over my crib, talking to me as if he was talking to some voice in his head. Then again, it would be odd if a baby could understand you, but I’m... a special case.

Jacob: “I shall return in a few hours with a change of clothes and a fresh meal, I shall see you later young master.”

*creak*

The door is shut and once again, I am left alone in my room.

-Perfect. With them, my soreness, and my fatigue gone I can finally start training to handle magic again!

Fate: “Guh!”

-Ok, that just made me sound stupid. Then again, I can’t help my natural instincts.

On that thought, let’s get back to training. I laid back down and began once again, with my training regiment.

-One!

-Two!

Fate: “G..guh!”

-Three! This seems a bit easier than before, probably because of the 0.2 increase in endurance...Whatever!

Fate: “G..guh...h!”

-Four!

Fate: “G..g..uuu..h-h!”

-Five!

-It feels like this will...take longer than last time to...get the point up…

Well, my sit-ups are half-assed since I don’t have the flexibility to stretch that far with my little baby body. But I don’t want to create another situation where I require help.

-Guess I’ll...just continue as...is…!

Fate: “G...g-g..uh...hhh!”

-Si..x!

『【Stamina】has increased by 0.075!』

-W..ha..

It appears that my stamina went up. I didn’t think this would merit any increase, but it seems that stamina can be gained through any activity that involves pushing through fatigue.

-Though...it looks like it...took longer to get an increase...than last time.

It looks like both the amount I receive and the time it takes to receive it, have changed. It makes sense that it wouldn’t be the same forever.

-Well, let’s continue. But with just a bit more effort since I need more stamina to exercise longer and increase my stats more!

…………………………….

-W..we..ll ...I am...officially...tired...as all...hell...

I worked out for quite a while more...so...at least...seven to eight minutes? But the increase has been good..ish…

-I only got 0.1 more of endurance, but got 0.15 for stamina. With that small increase I feel a bit less tired, but it doesn’t mean my fatigue is gone…

-I..need...a...nap…

------------------------------------

*creak*

*snore*

A figure strode silently, into Fate’s small room. It was his mother, Agatha. She watched with her piercing 【Moonlit Gaze】ability...

-No matter how much I look at it, I cannot pierce through its soul with my gaze nor can I truly measure its potential...Although, I can truly say that it is...my offspring. The cold glare in its eyes, even without the blessing of the goddess, is proof enough…

Agatha gazed upon a child whom she had acknowledged as her own by birth, but not in soul. For a soul she could not see through was one that without proper discipline, she would never feel safe around.

-Though I can say for sure that it has not received a blessing...there is an abnormality about this soul. I can feel it in my being.

Had she truly come here only to speculate or had she felt genuine concern for the wellbeing of her child? Even she had no clue as to the answer. And so, with one last glare at her child, she walked out through the doorway and closed the door behind her.

*creak*

----------------------------------------------------------------

The door closed and the sound awoke the room’s denizen, Fate.

Fate: “Uhhh...hha..”

-Did someone come in? Is Jacob already back with my next change of clothes? I need new ones since these ones are kind of sweaty.

Looking around the room, nobody appears to be here. But I definitely heard a noise…

-Did they send somebody with some sort of 【Invisibility】skill?

I heightened my senses to the limit, looking for any sort of disturbances around the room or sounds that might indicate where a person would be hiding…But nothing was there.

-Am I just being paranoid about this…?

Invisibility isn’t an impossibility for a world like this, but who would be using a skill like that to spy on a baby? After all, even the gods don’t know of my existence...aside from the ‘Witch.’ But I wouldn’t be the target of an assassination, not yet anyway.

-So I probably am just being paranoid after all. But I guess since we’re up, let’s get back to trying to break through to 2 points of endurance!

Now begins again, another cycle of desperate, half-assed sit-ups…

-One!

-Two!

Fate: “G-guh!”

-Three!

Fate: “G-guh..h!”

-Four!

Fate: “G-g...g..uuuh..h!”

-Five!

Fate: “G...g-g..uh...hhh!”

-Si..x! I had..to...reach nine last time....so maybe...ten or twelve?

Fate: “G..g-g...uuh...uhhhhh!”

-S..ev..en-n!

Fate: “G..g-g...uuhu..huh...uhhh-h!!”

-E..igh...t!!

Fate: “G..g-gg...uuhu..huh...uhhh-h..huuuu!!”

-N...i..n...e-e!!

-Alri...ght, I...reached my ...previous...record….now….!

Fate: “H...g-g...aaahhhhhhh!!!”

-T..en…!!!

Fate: “H-h...h..aghhhhhh-h-h...hhh!!!”

-E..le….ven-n!!!

『【Stamina】has increased by 0.075!』

-C...co...m-m..e….o..n!

Fate: “G-g-gh...hh...hhhhhhhhhhh!!!!”

『【Endurance】has increased to 2!』

-Y..E….S-S…..!!!!

With his strength exhausted, Fate once again retired to slumber.

12. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link

• HP: 4/4

• MP: 1/1.2

• Stats:

• Endurance: 2.0

• Wisdom: 1.3

• Stamina: 2.25

• Magic: 0.1

-So these are my stats, huh? I’m liking the improvements, but it still feels lacking. Considering that my magic didn’t even start out at 1, I don’t have enough stamina for agility training, and I don’t have anything that suits my weight to lift...these are...decent...ish.

Thinking about it logically, most babies probably wouldn’t have stats like these in the first place, but that’s little consolation given my situation...But…

-If my last name is Schneider, why hasn’t that appeared in my status page? And come to think of it, why is my name Fate if my mother hasn’t given me a name? Hmmmm……

Suddenly, the page between this one and the cover begins to pulse blue, furiously. This must mean that the Witch has updated the information!

-Finally! I’ve been waiting long enough, now gimme gimme!

I realize that my personality may be regressing with that last statement, but the idea of new information and things to do in this world outweighs that! I quickly flip the page to read the new information. Sure enough, the old ‘introduction’ has vanished and new words in blue color and Cursive font had appeared.

-Alright...what do we have today?

Witch of Fate - ‘Hello there, my familiar! Been bored, missed me, are wallowing in suffering because you can’t even see me?~’

-So much for ‘something new to read,’ now I remember why I want to punch her!

Witch of Fate - ‘But, while I want to send you a glorious image of yours truly, your magic capacity just isn’t strong enough to handle my beauty…’

-An image of you? Is this journal suddenly a phone now?...wait...this thing is powered by me?

I kept reading, as this detail seemed very important.

Witch of Fate - ‘As you probably have noticed from your stats, your magical power did not start off at 1. This because magical power that someone either acquires or is born with, the latter being what the people of Ilthea refer to as ‘high magical-potential.’ Your method of improving your magical talent is the former method and will damage you without proper ‘skills.’’

-There are skills for absorbing magic? I thought there would only be skills for utilizing it effectively, but that’s apparently wrong.

Witch of Fate - ‘If you want to improve your mana capacity without dying, then you will need to increase your vitality and strength. But this limitation can be avoided altogether with an actual understanding of magic, but given that you’re a baby who can’t read unless it’s translated, this currently isn’t a viable option.’

-So if I have access to learning materials, I can acquire skills? Why didn’t she mention that little detail if magic is part of life here?

Witch of Fate - ‘The reason I didn’t tell you about this, is that we were very short on time. The amount of time I managed to talk with you was a miracle in and of itself, considering that my siblings could have detected my activities at any moment!’

I do remember that she said we were in a hurry, but I don’t know why answering my concerns about her ‘being a god’ was more important than world mechanics.

Witch of Fate - ‘Would you believe me if I said that the reason that talking about your concerns took priority was because I thought you were cute?~’

-No way in hell I would believe that.

Witch of Fate - ‘Whatever, the point is that you’re there now and I’m being so kind to you by giving you this information. You should be proud to be my familiar!’

That title still sounds a bit degrading, honestly. But I guess I should be glad that I get any information at all, given my circumstances. I keep reading through the text.

Witch of Fate - ‘Still, you’re probably wondering why your name in your stats carries the name fate, with no last name. The answer to that is...that Fate is the name given to you by myself, a god, and thus cannot be overridden. As for the last name, this journal only knows what you know and acknowledges your thoughts and mine.’

-It acknowledges... my thoughts? I guess it will only have things I know, so it would have to acknowledge me. But, is this how she’s been reading my mind?

『【Wisdom】has increased by 1!』

『【Wisdom】has increased to 2.3!』

Fate: “...!!!”

-What the…

I focus my gaze on the Witch’s words, hoping to understand how such an increase was possible!

Witch of Fate: ‘Ohhhh, my little familiar.~ It seems you’ve guessed it, the way that I was able to receive information from your mind without being there was...that part of me is there with you! Aren’t you the most fortunate being alive, to have received such a blessing!’

-In the ‘Sea of Stars,’ she was seemingly able to read my mind...She told me that this book had a fragment of her power inside of it, but it’s connected to my soul! So, it acknowledges me but is linked back to her!

Witch of Fate: ‘Not even enough individuals to count on two hands have been able to travel with a portion of a god’s soul in tow. In fact, most of them emerged as holy weapons during the Age of Tribulation, but their users are long since dead. With that said, make yourself stronger within the coming year until you can study this world. Then, you will be able to be of greater use to me than entertainment.’

The text comes to an end.

-In a year I’ll be able to study? That’s good news, but...my journal is just like the ones from some bygone era?

Thinking about it logically, the other gods must have revealed themselves to garner the faith of this world’s people. They most likely selected champions from this world and gave them the weapons with their fragments embedded in them...But if the weapons are still around and the users are dead, isn't that just a waste of energy?

-Thinking about it like that, the gods must have known that once the weapon users died, then their fragments would just be stuck on this plane....Maybe they were making an investment.

It’s possible that they knew that the champion’s future descendants could wield the weapons and have used them to maintain world order. Otherwise, they would have sacrificed a portion of their power that they might not have ways to regain.

『【Wisdom】has increased by 1!』

『【Wisdom】has increased to 3.3!』

-...I guess this means that what I was just thinking is true...In which case, the gods still maintain an active presence in the world, unlike the ‘Witch...’

Regardless, if I really can start learning in a year, then I need to be ready…

-Guess it’s back to working out for the foreseeable future...

13. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    ^
    |
    Above is, The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 7 - Second greetings

14. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 8 - Six Months Later
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacob: “We now salute the return of our Lord, Issac Schneider!”

Servants: “We salute your return, our glorious master!!!”

A man walked through the gilded doors of the estate, clad in a large officer’s coat and several medals. His rugged face sported a well-groomed, pitch-black goatee. The same, pitch-black, color hair combed extremely flat and curled towards the back of his head. Several scratch-sized scars on his chin. Piercing blue eyes. And a serious expression that made it seem as if he was standing in a warzone, everywhere he went.

This was Issac Schneider, husband of Agatha and father of Fate. As well as, the leader of the Schneider Household, one of the most prestigious in the nation of Lunaris.

Issac: “...”

Jacob, one of his most loyal servants, approached him warily.

Jacob: “My lord, Schneider. It may be presumptuous of a servant of myself, but you have gloriously returned to us as the victor of your battle on the Plains of Keld?”

Issac: “...If that were not the case, I would not be standing before you. Though it would be presumptuous to believe you know all that occurs in the world, it seems my faith in your intelligence is not entirely misplaced.”

Issac answered Jacob in a cold tone. And yet…

Jacob: “I am honored to receive such words of praise from one as glorious as yourself, my lord! If you would not mind, could you please regale us with tales of your brilliant tactics and conquest?”

Jacob received such ‘praise’ heartily. Yet his lord Schneider did not care, for he had fought for honor and had now returned home, fatigued.

Issac: “I am weary from my travels and the recounting of my battle will have to wait for my report to his imperial majesty, tomorrow. Make ready a midnight snack and have preparations for a fine breakfast tomorrow morning, understood?”

Jacob gave a swift nod and promptly, headed off to the kitchen with several of the servants and cooks. Issac on the other hand, headed for his bedchamber to greet his beloved and have a much-needed rest, before his snack arrived.

*sigh*

Issac: “Those barbarians...The goddess showers this land with blessings and yet they squander them on foolish actions of violence and heresy! It makes me sick, thinking of how such filthy heathens exist in this world…”

The lord of a household, a servant of his majesty, and a pious spear of Luna’s faith. These were all duties for him, but also burdens…

He was powerful, there was no question about that fact. However, he barely had any time to do as he pleased, such was the unfortunate nature of his position as a noble. Whereas others might have riches enough to persuade fellow nobles or capable generals that could be deployed at their disposal, the Schneider Household possessed both. Yet, the lord of the Schneider lands would always be one, bound by pacts and servitude to others.

Issac: “I question if his majesty will allow me a chance at freedom… *sigh* Only if the goddess willed it could such a miracle occur…”

………….

*knock*

Agatha: “U..hh..mm…”

*knock* *knock*

Agatha: “Uhh..hmm.mmm…....”

*knock* *knock* *knock*

Agatha: “Ughh...ahhhh!!!”

Agatha was woken from her gentle slumber by a loud knocking at the bedroom door.

-It must be Jacob...if there was anything he needed, he would wait until morning! I swear if he ruined the arrangements for my husband’s return I will…!

*creak*

The door creaked open, much to her shock.

Agatha: “Who…!”

Agatha was shocked because the person who had woken her from slumber was none other than her husband, Issac Schneider!

Agatha: “B-beloved?! You’ve finally returned to me!”

Her husband did not respond...Was something wrong? Had she done something to displease him? She knew of his temperament, but she had expected to see him in a better mood…

Agatha: “...Beloved?”

*snore…*

Agatha: “...”

*snore…….*

Agatha: “I see...he fell asleep...at his feet…”

-I believe this was the method that he planned to use to get through his highness’ ‘boring ceremonies.’ To think that he’d be doing it when he got home…

Agatha grabbed her husband and dragged his puppet-like body toward the bed, step by step.

*plop*

She plopped her husband down on the bed and took off his boots and large coat.

-It’d be troublesome if I had to hear him complain of being too hot or having sore feet. Then again, he always seems to be like this.

She gazed lovingly at her husband, a man who constantly risked his life for the honor of the family name. A man who loved her, yet he always had to be somewhere at the behest of another.

-He truly is troublesome, his highness…

She planned on walking to put his boots and coat away, but just as she did…

Agatha: “...!”

Her husband’s arm reached up to grab hers!

-Is he awake?!

*snore…*

No, it seemed that her husband was not awake, yet reached for her arm as if by instinct. It was almost as if he was telling her not to go anywhere.

-...Fine, I guess even if he’s sleeping, it’ll be nice to be close to his heart…

She laid down on the bed, gradually falling asleep in her husband’s embrace.

………….

Fate: “Ughhh….”

If you couldn’t quite have guessed, everyone in the mansion could hear the greeting to the lord. Everyone, including Fate.

-What was with all the yelling and clinking? I just finished training and finally fell asleep, seriously! But if I can hear, it means I’m still alive.

Yes, over the past six months, Agatha had never visited the young Fate. The only person he ever saw was Jacob, one of his mother’s most loyal subordinates. Meaning that Fate only saw someone who copied his lady’s orders to the letter, treating him with odd tests of obedience and disdain. He worried that these tests would increase in severity if he did not obey, so he had no choice but to play along.

-I seriously question how Jacob has the time to tend to my mother and pop in at random intervals for unexplained reasons.

Fate: “...”

-...Then again, the time he spends attending to me is never anything but brief and he always seems to have those tests prepared. I don’t understand why the need to test this level of obedience at this age.

Indeed, as stated previously, Fate had been subjected to many tests. These included: Jacob glaring at him for an hour, consuming dishes that were either tasteless or possibly poisonous, forcing him to stand against the bookshelf with a decently-large book on his head, etc.

-Whatever, thanks to those ‘tests,’ I’ve been getting stronger.

Fate’s journal burst into existence, in a cloud of twinkling-blue dust.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• HP: 9.5 / 9.5

• MP: 1 / 1.7

• Stats:

• Strength: 2.850

• Endurance: 3.075

• Wisdom: 3.5

• Stamina: 2.950

• Agility: 1.9

• Magic: 0.35

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-These are my current stats. *sigh* This is six whole months of work...even with Jacob bugging me all the time, it doesn’t explain the slow of my progress.

Magic can only be gained properly, with skills. It makes sense that it’s that low, plus I have only collected mana when I thought I could handle it. The gain after a stat goes past 2.5 goes from 0.75 to 0.5. My agility must be because I can’t actually do that much running without a disturbance or tripping over my own feet.

-Plus when Jacob almost caught me sneaking out of the crib this time. The wisdom stat managed to go up from the new method of escape, so that was good.

Fate: “Twis’ kinn owf swucs…”

Something that did progress greatly for Fate, however, was his ability to speak. Albeit, since he’s just a baby, he has quite a lisp and his pronunciation isn’t perfect.

-I can’t show my mother that I can talk at this age, it might just make her think I’m a freak. That’s on top of whatever grievances she has against me already! I don’t even know what a ‘good age’ for a child to speak semi-coherently in the first place!

It was a predicament that troubled Fate greatly. If he decided to display this level of intelligence, he could gain access to learning materials earlier on, but…

-If I do show my intelligence, they’ll definitely be suspicious. Besides, even if they accept me, I might just get forced into some ‘genius’ role and be given too many expectations. I’d rather decide my own self-worth than let anybody else do it for me!

And so, Fate returned to his sleep, unaware of his father’s return.

------------------------------------

Explanation:

Hey guys, it’s the author of FoF and today we’ll be talking about the basics of mana!

Mana in the world of Ilthea is imperceptible unless one has a natural talent or is in possession of an artifact with properties that allow it to view and gauge its potency.

Without natural talent though, even if someone has an artifact, they can’t collect mana properly without an understanding of it. At least without consequences.

Fate is a perfect example. He suffered a fever, nosebleeds, and severe muscular damage from forcing his body to help bear the weight of even a miniscule amount of mana. Granted, an affinity for magic can be fostered, but not without severe consequences, maximum effort, and assistance from external resources.

I hope everybody enjoyed this chapter of the Familiar of Fate!

15. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 9 - How I met my father
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *creak*

Fate: “Uhh...hhhhaaahh….”

-Well...guess that’s another sleep...

*yawn*

-Interrupted…

Fate thought this, but he was mostly just shifting blame for probably sleeping until Jacob came, to whoever woke him up. Fate looked up and saw a large, masculine figure. It was not his mother, nor was it Jacob since the physique was beyond his.

-Who the hell?!

Needless to say, Fate was quite shocked.

….

-So this is my newborn son?

Issac gazed at the infant in the crib, checking its condition with great interest.

-I woke up, with my beloved in my arms. It was a pleasant way to start the day, yet she reminded me that my child had already been born! I was so groggy last night that I couldn’t even think straight...

Indeed, Issac’s child had been born six months before, yet he could not be there for the birth. His lordship had instructed him to quell the insurrectionist barbarians on the Plains of Keld, so he could not attend. Yet he kept his wife’s safety and the safety of his potential heir in his heart all the while. Thus, when he was reminded, he left his wife’s embrace and charged straight for the room Jacob had mentioned!

-I don’t understand why my Agate’ had insisted there was something wrong with the child. He has many features of my beloved, no physical abnormalities, or temperament issues that I can see…

His wife had told him that she sensed darkness that could not be comprehended, shrouding the child’s soul. This had worried him since his wife had been an important member of the church of Luna and her judge of character had never been false or unjust.

-He does look a little scared, but that’s normal ,albeit disappointing, since he’s never gazed upon his father’s face. The fact that he hasn’t once cried, according to Jacob, does worry me, however.

Issac held out his large hand to his son, attempting to gauge its response.

-Ok seriously, who is this guy? He just randomly came in and started staring at me, but now he’s holding out his hand?

This might be another trick from my mother. It could be that this is to test whether I will be obedient to strangers or just her. In which case...this could be trouble…

-If this is a test and I do obey, then that will just be deepening the hold she has on my mind. On the other hand, if this isn’t a test, I’ll just end up looking like an ass and possibly get punished for it!

Fate tried to think of the possibilities of each decision, but he just kept wracking his brain till it hurt like breathing in new-car smell. Meanwhile, Issac’s hand was still held outward, anticipating some sort of response. Instead, all Issac was seeing, was that his child was gripping the sides of their head and looking visibly displeased.

Issac: “Hello there…”

-He spoke, I didn’t expect that.

Fate stopped all of his think and put his attention on this odd stranger.

Issac: “I’m your papa.”

-This guy’s my dad?! He’s pretty damn huge! Then again, that might just be the fact that I’m so small…

Issac: “Can you say, papa?”

-...What?

Issac: “Can you understand me? Can you say p-a-p-a?~”

-How would a child understand you at this age? But I guess this means this isn’t a test...or is it?

Again, due to the nature of the previous tests and Fate’s previous life as an autistic student who was murdered, he complicated a very simple matter.

-This could just be overcomplicating things, but...If this man really is my father, he might be trying to help my mother with these tests! It might also be possible that in their families, children can speak at an extremely young age. I can’t say for sure though!

…..

-I know that he’s young, but he should have some feeling of who I am. As for me asking him...I guess I just wanted to indulge in fantasy. After all, my Agate and Jacob haven’t reported giving him any books and we haven’t decided on instructors for him, but maybe I just wanted to…

“Pw-aa-p-p-wa.”

-Did he...just...speak?

“Pwa--p-pwa!”

Issac couldn’t believe what he was hearing! His six-month old son was speaking to him, even if it was in a childish manner!

-But...he hasn’t even picked up a book yet! Does this mean he’s...a prodigy?! Such a thing is unprecedented, yet not unwelcome. This gives me something to brag about to his majesty! After all, the first prince could only start speaking at a year old!

Issac wasn’t even the least bit disturbed by his child’s intelligence. In fact, he believed it to be a joyous sign from the gods, despite the fact that if the gods knew of Fate’s existence, they would most certainly want to have him killed.

Issac: “That’s right, I’m your papa! Ha ha aha ha aha!”

At this moment though, Fate was thinking something entirely different than his father.

-I decided to speak just to gauge his response and he goes full-on psychotic, overjoyed parent mode?! Ughhh, whatever! If this gets me labeled as a genius, then fine. After all, the ‘Witch’ said that I would get access to learning materials in a year, but she didn’t say how.

The Witch had left the details of his gaining the required materials to understand magic, skills, and his situation rather vague. Perhaps this is because she knew that he could make the right decisions needed to obtain them...Or maybe she was just giving him a motivator...or she just didn’t care and told him something so he’d stop worrying.

Issac: “How did you learn to talk, though? Your mother and the servants haven’t even given you books yet!”

-Is he actually trying to get me to answer? The hell am I supposed to tell him?! That I can understand him fully and am a reincarnated person, possibly sent here to doom his entire world?!

Fate, although internally conflicted, decided to stay completely silent. Hopefully, Issac would not suspect anything and just pass it off as the ability to copy what he said. Even if that showed that he might be intelligent, it didn’t prove sh*t about his identity!

Issac: “I guess you can’t understand me...that’s ok though! If we get you good teachers and help you learn, I’m sure you’ll get along with everyone! Then I can use this as an excuse to get some time off from his majesty!”

-What?! I could guess he was busy since he wasn’t even able to attend his own son’s birth, but he’s busy enough that he’s going to try and get a leave of absence from royalty, using me as an excuse?!

*creak*

The door opened again.

-Oh, what now?!

Through the door stepped Agatha and Jacob, two faces that Fate was already very familiar with and they with him.

-Why is my beloved shouting so much in its room? Did it do something to him?! I knew that its soul being unreadable was a bad omen, I only hope that I’m not too late!

Issac: “I guess you can’t understand me...that’s ok though! If we get you good teachers and help you learn, I’m sure you’ll get along with everyone! Then I can use this as an excuse to get some time off from his majesty!”

-What?! Did it somehow entrance my beloved into obeying its commands?! I must save him!

*creak*

Agatha quickly barged into the room, with Jacob in tow. Her confusion spiraled around in her mind, trying to comprehend what was unfolding in front of her.

Agatha: “Beloved, what is happening at this time of day that you need to yell so loudly?!”

Issac: “Oh, my Agate! Come look, our child is so intelligent!”

-Intelligent?! It’s a child that can’t even work up the strength to cry! It managed to get a massive fever from scrambling around in its crib just days after it was born, how could it possibly be that intelligent!?

Agatha: “I-is that so..?”

Jacob: “M-my lord! *cough* My lord...you must elaborate or we won’t understand, what do you mean the child is intelligent..?”

Issac simply turned and gave them curious stares.

Issac: “I meant what I said! The child can talk!”

-It can speak...at this age?!

Agatha was speechless, she had always believed her child to be inferior to an average one. The fact that it never cried, the fact that it never seemed to do anything, and the fact that it was being trained in obedience as one would a dog! Yet this child, her child, could speak at an age where most couldn’t even form coherent thoughts!

Issac: “Come on, say mama! M-a-m-a!”

The child simply looked at him with a gaze that one could mistake for a dead fish. Agatha did not want to believe that the shift from dead-eyed to soul-piercing meant anything, but what did it mean in this case?

-He just got back from where, but I did not think he would be so delusional as to think that…

“M...a...mw-a…”

Jacob: “!”

Agatha: “!”

Agatha and Jacob both felt chills run down their spines as if someone had just poured a cold bucket of water over them…

-The way it spoke...It’s as if...it was genuinely trying to make it as clear as possible…!

Issac: “Awwww, how come you worked so much harder for mama’s name...You must love your mama a lot, don’t you? Hear that my Agate? The child loves you more than he does me…*sniffles* I’m so sad!”

Jacob: “M-my lord, this is unpr-rec-ceden…!”

Agatha: “Y-you are right, my beloved! I-it...h-h...t-the child truly is intelligent!”

-What is this feeling?! It’s like there’s a sword stuck to my spine, just waiting for the right time to slide in and wreak havoc! Beloved said that it put much more effort into pronouncing my name, almost as if to signal me that something was wrong!

She didn’t like it one bit. She had probed this child in person and through Jacob for several months, noting nothing special in its behaviors that were even worth batting an eyelash over. Yet it had suddenly started talking and it already sounded like it was acutely aware of its situation and surroundings! She felt the dangerous feeling from its soul gradually pooling and growing as if to envelop and swallow her whole!

-No! I cannot think like this! I am a noblewoman, High-Priestess of the Church of Luna, and this...thing’s...mother! I shall not be intimidated by mere name-calling! No matter what happens, I must stay in control of it!

Agatha: “If...the child...is already at such a level at this age...I will arrange for proper instructors and study materials to make full use, of…!”

Issac: “Wait...Did you give the child a name yet?”

Agatha: “I…”

-Come to think of it...I never gave it a name…

After her child was born, Agatha had no intention of naming it so soon. Additionally, the condition of its soul concerned her more than giving it a name that might spur emotional attachment. But somehow, in this moment, a name repeatedly reverberated through her mind…

Agatha: “Fate.”

Issac: “Fate? Why that name, my Agate?”

Agatha: “!”

-I didn’t mean to say that! Where did that name come from?!

Agatha: “.....”

Issac: “Just a spur of the moment thing? I do like it though, it has a certain ring to it. Perhaps hinting at the great destiny that shall belong to our house and our child!”

Agatha: “Yes...I’m sure that’s why I...thought of it…”

Agatha had no idea what had happened. It was as if her mouth had acted against her will and spewed out a name that sounded like another bad omen! Little did she know how right her feelings were, for she had simply acted in a simple script set by a goddess she didn’t even know existed…

Issac: “Then it’s settled!”

Issac picked up his child and held him high in the air.

Issac: “From today onwards, your name is Fate!”

16. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 10 - Sooner than expected, but not what I expected...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-So this is my instructor?

A few days had gone by and Issac had submitted his report to the king, but whether he would actually get time off was unknown. With a possible returning call to duty at his doorstep and experiencing his child’s remarkable intelligence, Issac wasted no time in hiring an instructor to begin his son on the path of knowledge. The man in front of Fate was a relatively short, well-styled gentleman. He had combed auburn hair, anchor-style beard, and a well-fitting red robe with a gold trim.

???: “So this is your child, young master?”

Issac: “Indeededly so, teacher.”

???: “You do not need to call me your teacher. For that time is long since past, young master.”

Issac: “You don’t need to call me young master, it makes me feel like a child. That says a lot considering that I grew up to be much taller than you.”

???: *grumble* “I am not that short! Besides, I’m only like this because of a fluke with one of my magical experiments! I was trying to reach the holy grail of alchemy and came so close!”

-Holy Grail of alchemy? I wonder if he means...

Agatha: “We know of your brilliant works in the field of immortality, Sir Sherworn. Yet it is a field that has been researched, prodded, and theorized about, but it has yielded little result. If your experiment had succeeded, you would have been stuck in the body of a child and we would have lost one of Lunaria’s leading minds to a botched experiment!”

-Yep, so this guy is some weird copy of Nicholas Flamel, except largely unsuccessful? Also, I think they already lost him to his own temper about the subject of his height.

‘Sir Sherworn’: “Hmph! At least you recognize my brilliance, Lady Agatha! You could take a page from her book, young master!”

-I think he completely blanked on the part where she talked about the experiment and body of a child ‘ridiculousness.’

Issac: *sigh* “Fine, but that is not what I brought you here to talk about today, remember? We want you to help teach our child!”

-Still though, isn’t this sooner than expected? ‘The Witch’ said that I’d get the materials to study magic and skills in a year and it’s only been a little more than six months. I guess even the ‘Witch of Fate’ can’t predict everything accurately?

‘Sir Sherworn’: “You would use my time for something as meaningless as that?! I have important research to conduct and I certainly don’t want to jeopardize any of it simply for...a child!”

Issac: “Could you please reconsider, teacher....!”

‘Sir Sherworn’ began to walk away, out of the drawing-room.

*creak*

The door opened and he left, believing that teaching a child who might one day surpass him was a fruitless pursuit. After all, he had failed with Issac so what would make this one any different?

*clack*

Issac: *sigh* “I really hoped he would consider. He’s getting on in years and I thought that by having him here as a teacher that I would be able to spend time with him before his passing…”

Agatha reached out and placed her hand on her husband’s shoulder.

Agatha: “Who needs him? I’m sure we can find someone else to do the duty. Besides, if we had allowed him to teach the child, they may have ended up a volatile alchemist with a tendency for...unfortunate experiments…”

Issac: “I guess you’re right...But he taught me just fine back when I was just a child and I turned out fine!”

Agatha: “...You do realize that was before he decided to walk the path of attempting immortality? Also, even if our child is capable of speaking at a young age, it doesn’t mean they’ll end up as successful as you.”

-It sounds like she’s trying to subtly lead him to join her ‘training’ school of thought. But regardless, I don’t think I wanted to be schooled by the jackass who thought the first step in immortality was height surgery.

Issac: *sigh* “I guess you’re right…”

Agatha: “Could I make a suggestion?”

-Here it comes.

Issac: “A suggestion, is it for a good instructor? Maybe somebody from your days as a sister of the Church of Luna?”

From the look in Agatha’s eyes, it wouldn’t seem like this was the case. Though Fate already had a pretty good idea of where this was going.

-She wouldn’t suggest someone who might have different ideas than her own, it’s probably going to be one of the servants...probably Jacob.

Issac: “Jacob? I’m not sure if that works out, considering his busy schedule around the manor.”

Agatha: “It’s not anybody from the church or the servant roster.”

-It isn’t? I didn’t think she had someone outside the manor that she would trust so easily? I also didn’t think that she could not disturb people, considering her treatment of her own kid.

Issac: “Hmmmm...I can’t think that anyone of our acquaintances has the time to teach, they’re extremely busy after all.”

Agatha: *sigh* “I’m the child’s mother and if anyone can and will teach this child the right values it will be me.”

- *internal gasp*...You? The mother who seems to have a problem with giving me a name and a hatred of my very existence, you?!

Issac: “But I thought you and I were going to spend time together until I had to report for duty?”

Issac had been hoping to spend as much time as her as he could. After all, he barely had any time to see her with his busy schedule. He truly felt, now more than ever, that his constant working would be the death of him.

Agatha: “I will be here to spend time with you and so will our child. I want you to spend time with both of us, for as long as you can.”

-Is this an actual motherly side to her?

Issac: “I suppose that will be fine. I did want to spend time with you and spending time with our child will be very meaningful for me!”

Thus, Fate’s teacher had been decided and nobody in the room would argue...Well, Fate would question it if it wouldn’t be the most inconspicuous as f*** thing for a six-month old to say ever!

-Well, they’re gone. Mother is my teacher and I have no idea what she has planned! She managed to turn dinners served by Jacob into tests of endurance, making it the one stat that broke through the bottleneck!

In the first place, Fate had never wanted a teacher and certainly not for his mother to teach him. His original plan was just to act in a way that would seem capable of study, but unpleasant enough that nobody would come around to bother him unless absolutely necessary.

-But...this does give me an opportunity to find out what her intentions are, or at least why she’s so on edge with me.

Fate: *sigh* “Bwut wat a mwess.”

An over-enthusiastic father trying to use him as an excuse to get out of work and a mother who was trying to get him to bark like a dog...or die. Indeed, Fate was having a rough start for the life of a reincarnator.

-I guess I should make the best of it though. My mother will be teaching me valuable communication skills and if I prove myself able, I should be able to gain access to those materials within the timeframe that the ‘Witch’ promised. But for now, I guess I’ll get back to trying to break the stamina bottleneck!

17. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 11 - Back At It
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

After his parents had left, Fate once again fed his ambition to break the bottleneck on his stamina stat, which would make a huge difference in how much he could work before succumbing to his own body.

-The fact that I’m a baby is pretty inconvenient for the ‘Witch’ and her plan. I’m a baby with barely any power, in a house that will keep tabs on everything I do, and it’s a house where my own mother is suspicious of me.

Fate thought that things would have been much simpler if the ‘Witch’ had just reincarnated him into a child’s body. A child with no parents wouldn’t exactly be the best for living comfortably, but it would have been better for mobility and building achievements.

-I get that she’s giving me time to train and decide my path before I grow up, but I can’t even gather mana without severe consequences...and…

Fate: “Jwacb iff so scary!”

Fate was proud of himself for being able to pronounce words clearly, even if it was only two of them. However, the fear of Jacob occupied his mind constantly and pushed out many of his other thoughts. Jacob had been the only one who had always been in the room and took care of him, but he exuded an aura that did not suit someone who looked as old as he did.

-He always has on a smile, but the feeling I get from him is terrifying! It’s almost like he keeps coming into the room while planning my death then stops midway!

That wasn’t even the eeriest part of the feeling Jacob gave off. For Fate, it was much more terrifying that there was a second aura accompanying him whenever he came.

-I have it figured out by this point that the second feeling I feel coming from him sometimes is my mother. She’s suspicious of me and I’m not sure if any of the servants can use magic.

During his past six months of training, he had become able to tell vaguely where a magic-user was in the vicinity.

-Even if I can’t hold much mana, I can definitely see dark spots. It’s almost as if someone tore the mana away from that little bit of the world...and I can definitely see that when she’s around.

He had seen it from a distance away from the room and had been able to confirm it on the one occasion where he had heard her talking to a servant.

-I wasn’t able to see the mana return to the empty space until ten minutes after she left. It was like some sort of black hole. But I can’t see that pull around Jacob and I haven’t even gotten a chance to try it on Father.

Indeed, it would look quite suspicious if during that meeting he had pulled a magical book out of nowhere and had his eyes darting around the room like some sort of scared animal.

-No use pondering it until I get the chance. I need to know exactly what the house’s situation is in order to set up my plans for the future. Better get to stamina training!

Fate sat up in his crib, ready to resume his training.

(For those who are wondering ‘how can he train stamina, I thought his crib was rebuilt.’......just read)

Fate bent down with his knees angled down and his body weight supported by his elbows.

-Even though I haven’t gotten out of the crib, I can still do simple exercises. The one saving grace of not being able to get out is that I don’t have to put in the effort to go outside the crib to workout.

Fate raised his knees and propped himself up on his toes, his elbows supporting the weight of his small body.

-If I recall correctly, my record is 31 seconds without having to rest. Which if I’m being honest isn’t impressive, but it’s beyond what I would think a toddler to be capable of. I guess if 31 seconds of planking is what I can do with 2.95 stamina, then ...my previous life’s stamina was around… 18?

Essentially the people of this world were guaranteed to be stronger than in Fate’s previous life. It was almost as if every person was like a wine, only getting better with age.

-I guess I would be jealous, but since I have to fight the magical ‘do-gooders’ who are supposed to be destined for greatness, I’ll have to be strong or have some way to kill them. The ‘Witch’ wouldn’t have chosen me for anything else...except maybe my stunning good looks ...ha ha ha! Oh my sh*t, that would be the dumbest thing to pick somebody for!

Even though he was internally laughing because of his own ridiculous joke, Fate held in a laugh and kept himself steady. It had been 17 seconds, but he was already beginning to lose his focus and laughing wouldn’t help him stay planking, not in the least.

The seconds ticked on and Fate’s strength continued to wane.

Fate: “Witle moor…!”

And on…

27...28…

-29!

『【Stamina】has increased by 0.0025!』

-30!

『【Stamina】has increased to 0.0025!』

-31!

-32!

Fate: “U..gg..u.hhhh!!!!”

-33!!!

Fate couldn’t hold out any longer, collapsing on his bed with his 【Stamina】now resting at 2.9625. This was the problem with training in a toddler’s body. It was pushing his frame to be stronger, but not necessarily having the ability to handle such strength.

-I guess...I tried...and I still have enough energy to stay...awake, but I...didn’t make it to the point! Guess since I’m tired out and it won’t matter what I do since I’ll still look like I have a fever, I’ll train my magic ability.

It wasn’t as if physical training was the only thing Fate had done within six months, but a lot of endurance was necessary to handle even the slightest amount of mana.

-In the end...I’ve only been able to get...a little more than a third... of a single point. Even though I’ve learned to use the book to find magic users, I still can’t...scoop more than a finger’s worth into my body or manifest any phenomena.

Without skills or a guide, Fate could only try to gain and control mana with odd ideas and the use of his journal.

-Without this thing, I would have never... been able to see mana in the first place, much less absorb it. Though the backlash is a... large issue.

To put it in the vernacular of a person who doesn’t know what they’re doing with their life or just in general, Fate was ‘winging it.’ One might have thought that he would’ve blown himself up by now, but somehow he had not.

-Welp, my energy is coming back so I got a little more ‘pep in my step’...except I can’t get out of this crib to walk around so the step doesn’t apply he...Whatever, practice magic!

……………………………

Agatha: “What should I do in a situation like this?”

Agatha was groaning to herself over the current course of events. Her husband had invited his old teacher to ‘educate’ it.

-If it learned anything from that psychotic old fool, it’d be gibberish, how to waste your life, or worse...his destructive lust for alchemy.

‘Sir Sherworn’ had managed to turn himself into an elderly alchemist with the stature of a child in a horrible ‘simple mistake’ as he had put it. Three of his apprentices, who genuinely sought wisdom from him, were horribly injured and were still in recovery. However, ‘Sir Sherworn’ didn’t care in the least and simply shrugged it off with the words, “I have gotten a few steps closer to my ultimate goal and I have created a formula for size alteration, what need has a genius like myself for such miserable failures!?”

-Their families toil day in and day out so that those apprentices, their family members, recover. That quack hasn’t even sent a single Lun(The currency of Lunaria) their way...It’s proof enough that alchemy has warped his mind to the point that not a single life has value except his own. If blasphemy had a form, it would be his!

Though Agatha didn’t care extensively for the common people or for most people in general, she, as a former priestess, knew that what ‘Sir Sherworn’ desired veered into the realm of insanity far before possibility was in sight.

-I do not want it to grow up on the teachings of such a maddened fool, desperately throwing everything away in order to confront one’s own mortality.

Agatha: “I will teach it, but only to the extent that it not embarrass this house or myself anymore than it already does with its very being!”

Agatha had steeled herself that she would teach it to respect her and to stay out of her way. She would teach this child to be a ghost in her life, while she gave birth to children she would truly love.

-Though the fact that I gave it a name is troubling and more so, one that does not honor the goddess...What possessed me to give it a name, especially one like Fate?

Agatha: *sigh* “It is of no consequence…”

She would try to teach the child to respect her above all else and to never interfere in her life as much as possible. This was Fate’s teacher. This was her intent and underlying ambition.

……………….

Fate: “...”

-Nobody seems to be around...I think…

Before Fate glowed his journal, his surroundings pitch black. He was back in trance gazing at the background, while studying the dim bubbles floating by. Fate observed no pitch black spots, which meant no magicians and he did not hear a single creak from beyond the door.

-I had to make sure. Otherwise, I might’ve been nearly caught like last time.

The ‘last time’ Fate was referring to, had been eight days prior when Jacob had walked in on a trance session and had created a powerful *snap!* that shocked him out of it. Afterwards, Jacob popped in more often to observe what Fate had been up to that day. After five days though, he gave up on finding out and resumed his regular schedule.

-I kept on guard and didn’t try to raise my mana for three days, until today! I seriously thought he had figured something out...That was definitely not one of my finer moments.

Fate observed how the strange bubbles of mana moved, only visible due to the glow of the journal. It was like looking at a lava lamp. The bubbles twisted, bounced off of each other, came apart, and floated away.

-I miss Earth. I always used to stare at the lava lamp in my grandparents’ house until I feel asleep. I just watched the bubbles move and the light change colors...I wonder if time passes the same here as it does on Earth? If it does...then my grandpa will be gone before I even become an adult again.

Fate sadly pondered and moped, but his moping was interrupted when a large bubble, twice the size of himself, appeared over his head.

-Holy crap! That bubble is huge! From what I’ve learned, the bigger ones are the good ones to scoop from. The mana is less dense and scooping small amounts becomes easier than with a smaller bubble.

Over the last few months, while training his mana, Fate had been testing if there was an easier way to absorb mana in the bubbles without the backlash. So far, it appeared that the larger the bubble was, the easier it was to get mana and vice versa.

-But even then, the backlash has still been enough to give me a nosebleed and leave me unconscious for a few hours...not to mention the pain.

Even though he had thought that and suffered through the pain, Fate still persevered.

-It’s not an isekai if there’s not magic and I’m not about to let those asshats get an advantage over me!

Fate let his energy flow out and dig into a small edge of the bubble, scooping the edge out bit by bit. By this point, although Fate didn’t have enough grasp on mana to manifest any supernatural phenomena, he was now able to reach further and articulate his energy’s movements. This made it much easier to grasp parts of the mana bubble, without drawing in the whole of it.

-Just gotta focus...think of it as a claw machine game that I can win…!

The edge of the bubble emerged fully separated from the original. Fate quickly dragged in the small bubble, which was quickly becoming more dense.

-If I let it stay out long enough, it becomes just like the other small bubbles and I can’t absorb it as easily!

The small, half compressed bubble shot into Fate like a bullet, causing terrible pain akin to a double charlie horse with a fever!

-Son of...b*tch!!!

Fate: “G...www….uuuu.hhhhhh!!!”

『【Magic】has increased by 0.12!』

-I’m genuinely...happy-y...a-b-b-bout...the increa..! But...t-this...hurt-t-t-ts…!!!!

Fate promptly passed out, the journal disappeared, and all was silent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fate’s Current Stats:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• HP: 9.5/9.5

• MP: 1.7/1.98

• Stats:

• Endurance: 3.075

• Stamina: 2.9625

• Magic: 0.47

18. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be great if he becomes a psycho, he is on the right path of loosing it, cause or reincarnation, family problems and in a sense physical torture... the boy might become a joker with magic powers, he just needs the right tips and plot :hmm:

19. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    Not to spoil anything, but I’ll gradually push him over the edge to psycho

20. jokerybokery595

Reading List:
    Link
    The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 12 - How I'll learn...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Jacob appeared in the doorway of Fate’s room. He promptly dressed Fate and carried him out of the room.

-Seriously, it’s early, why are we doing this?!

Fate was perplexed, for Jacob should have no good reason to take him out of the room. Neither his first experience with mana nor his crib being rebuilt warranted a change of scenery, so what was the explanation for this?

The clack of Jacob’s shoes against the wood floor resounded throughout the hall. It made it seem as if he was the only person in an empty world.

-They took me to some sort of office when Father tried to hire that nut-job alchemist as my teacher so maybe Father wants to see me?

This could very well be the case, but Jacob had a cold look in his eyes. If he was truly going to meet the Lord, he would probably take steps to hide what was, most likely, his natural state.

-I genuinely hope that this isn’t what I think it is. Because it’s probably…

The clack of Jacob’s shoes ceased, right in front of a large wooden door. The door was not carved with any symbols nor was it bordered with any sort of extra material, it was just a very large wooden door.

*knock* *knock*

Jacob knocked his knuckles twice against the door before stopping, presumably to wait for a response.

Agatha: “Enter.”

-Oh, sh*t it’s Mother.

Jacob: “Yes, my lady.”

Jacob pushed the door open, revealing a large hall filled back to back with enormous bookcases. However, there was a small area with a few couches, tables, wooden chairs, and a window that nearly stretched down from the ceiling to the floor.

Jacob: “My lady, I have brought the child as requested.”

Agatha: “Very good, now please set the child down and excuse yourself from the room.”

Jacob: “Yes, my lady.”

Jacob set Fate down on a small wooden chair opposite Agatha before bowing to her and promptly leaving the room, closing the door with a large creak.

*creak-k-k-k*

Agatha now glared daggers at Fate, her own child whom she barely knew. She had no intention of being cordial towards him.

-....This is like a horror movie made real. I can’t stop having goosebumps and she won’t stop staring at me like I’m her vicious enemy.

Agatha reached out her arm and grabbed a small, leather-bound red book from the table in front of her. She proceeded to stand up from the couch and walk over to Fate, with the book still tightly grasped in her hand.

……………………….

-Just who taught it what a ‘papa’ was or how to say it? How did it even learn to speak a word?

This was what was troubling Agatha as she gazed coldly at her own child, the fact that it had learned when seemingly no one had taught it to do so. Normally, young children who could speak had picked things up by word of mouth from their parents or their parents had specifically put effort into a certain few words to get their children started. But according to her order, none of the mansion staff were to come anywhere near the child’s room, except Jacob of course.

-Yet this thing, not even a year old and with no one to instruct it, managed to speak out in front of my beloved and win his favor.

She continued to advance further until she stood directly in front of the small child on the chair. She began to slowly open the book and flip through a number of pages, before landing on a page with Ilthea’s basic language on the page. In other words, she was going to test her child with the alphabet.

-There are a few other options, but this should be a good way to test it.

Agatha: “Can you understand me, child?”

Agatha waited a few moments, waiting to see any sign that the child understood her words.

Fate: “Ma..ma?”

She got a reaction she did not expect. Since the child had managed to learn at least two words, she thought that it would’ve known yes, but it seemingly knew nothing of the sort.

-Is it attempting to feint me? Or is it possible that I’m reading into this too much? I can’t see through its soul and I can only make assumptions based on evidence…

Agatha stood there, silently pondering what to do. The child cocked its head to the side as if asking her what was wrong with her.

-It can at least make motions like that...I wonder...

Agatha: “I will ask again, can you understand me? Nod your head if you can.”

She looked at the child, hoping it would yield the result she craved.

Fate: “No...ow...d?”

Again, it was neither a response she had expected nor a response she wanted, but it showed progress. If it could at least pronounce words, it was clear that it would listen to her.

-At least it can listen, but it seems I’ll have to show it how to do certain actions in order to make any headway.

Agatha reached her empty hand toward the child’s head.

Agatha: “Nod.”

She spoke in a cold, demanding voice. She grabbed the back of the child’s head and pushed it down slightly and continued the process repeatedly.

Fate: “No..od-d….”

-Does it think that it must clear its speech?

Fate: “No..d-d…”

She again reached her hand and repeatedly bobbed the child’s head up and down. This time though, she made sure that a bit of her index finger’s nail poked into the child’s neck as she bobbed its head.

-Understand.

She drew her now slightly bloody fingernail out from the child’s skin and released her grip on its neck.

Finally, having had the gesture seemingly drilled into its head, the child nodded for her. She had made progress with a child she cared not for in the least and there was still so much time in the day and so much to make this child understand.

----------------------------------------------

-Motherf*cker this hurts!

Fate was now back in his room, in his crib. Of course, only a few hours had passed, but he had been disciplined like a dog for all of them. Jacob was called with a magical pearl in his Mother’s necklace and he was then taken back to his room. But somehow…

-My 【Endurance】stat actually managed to go up to by 0.675, which if I’m being honest..seems a little cheap for all my suffering! I question if the person who made this system was f*ck damn sadist!

Indeed his 【Endurance】had increased as well as his【Stamina】, due to the fact that he had to force himself to not pass out from the pain.

-I passed out somewhere around 3 minutes and I woke up with her nail in my neck, again...I seriously didn’t think I would survive that.

It was tough, but it was definitely clear that she was intent on breaking him like a dog. It might’ve been better to use magic or hypnosis, but she had left visible marks on his neck and shoulders. For Fate, this was a clear sign and not a good one.

-I think she’s saying that she can do whatever she wants to me and there’s not a damn thing I can do about it…

Fate: *sigh* “Terrible.”

Along with the increase in his stats, Fate was now able to pronounce some words painfully clearly.

-Seriously, she swung my head to ‘learn’ the response for no, then she dug her fingernails into my hand when trying to get me to point to the right letter. I f*cked up 14 times in a 26 letter alphabet when trying to find the letter ‘A,’ but who puts the letter ‘A’ as the third in the alphabet?!

There were definitely a few differences between the languages of Earth and Ilthea- such as the placement of letter, design, and some of the pronunciation. But having simple words and letters forced into you with pain was something that scientists on Earth were familiar with.

-Might as well take a look at my stats…

Fate’s spectral blue journal appeared once again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• HP: 5.35/12.27

• MP: 1.98/1.98

• Stats:

• Endurance: 3.750

• Intelligence: 2.3

• Stamina: 3.459

• Magic: 0.47

-I guess it is an improvement but is every day going to be that sh*t?!

Fate was tired and so, retired to sleep. He would await the next day, but it would be much the same as the one he was sleeping to get out of.