The fate of Qidian novels on Volarenovels, Gravitytales, Radiant

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by HunterYHunter, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NovaCi

NovaCi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just block them then that way you do not see the threads or post and get tempted to read them. its a forums and what you decide to read on the forum is your decision getting annoyed over it seems silly when you can ignore or block the users on the forums.

I have given on up trying to get people to act like reasonable adults on the internet long ago. heck I am even reading your posts which imo are equally as annoyingly as the people you point out annoy you. You are complaining about them complaining. Its like that one Translator of ED he was complaining about people disliking his story so heavily in comments and then the people started to complain about him complaining. Its a pointless endless cycle if you allow yourself to become frustrated for something like people posting annoying posts.

2. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    @Ai chan The custom isn't to act before someone commit a wrong, but after they ever do something. The fear of what might happen doesn't justify taking preventive actions. You're here making allusion that someone new is of dubious provenance, you're casting doubt on someone probity base only on his date of membership and because of the nature of the thread they created. I don't even count the number of threads created by new members in support of WW. Luckily all these were merge into a mega thread.

As for asking people to shut up about it, it would be easier for you to avoid such thread instead. Not everyone visit NUF frequently, some just learn about it and missed all the drama when it occur. And now they want to share their opinion on it. That's their right.

3. SeattleSounders

SeattleSounders Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe sooner or later, Qidian will send Cease and Desist to unwilling translators who are translating their novels without authorizations. The negotiations have been on-going for 3-5 months now. I don't think Qidian will let this drag on forever and letting translators profit from copyright infringements while the authors earn nothing from it. Qidian now have ads revenue so authors are earning money. On the other hand, authors are earning nothing from unauthorized translations.

4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    if that thing is Qidian want to do, then that's way better~ really~ sooner is better~ so far what I see and assuming is Qidian still search high and low for translator for their novel~
    tbh not all free reader mind if it mentioned about profit goes to author~ just look at J-Cafe which put paywall~ from it come J-Cafe already stated it will be paywall, it official and profit goes to author (maybe I don't remember exactly about it) ~ sure there also those who say sad cuz paywall but compared to fuzz about Qidian paywall? heh~.png
    Qidian kinda like testing here and there (。-ω-) = 3

Aiiee likes this.
  5. SeattleSounders

Reading List:
    Link
    So you suggest that readers should read on pirated sites to support the pirates instead of reading on legal sites that pay authors royalties and pay translators $35-40 per chapter + Patreon money?

Qidian has ads now, part of that revenue go to the authors. Supporting pirates means less money for the authors. Reading on pirate sites will help them become more popular and show up on Google search. It will hurt everyone.

6. SeattleSounders

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope ads work because the paywall will turn many readers into pirates.

I support the authors and translators and free reading.

7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    pirate will always there da proof is even now there still pirate site if you want try to search it~
    paywall is okay as long as quality is up to da charge and reasonable which it range is vary to each person~

8. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If QI want to play the "licence" card, they better be prepared for the counter attack.

Rebirth of the legendary guardian use Harry Potter char

The great thief use warcraft char and background stories

I'm assuming that they haven't pay any licence to J.K. Rowling and Blizzard, so let wait and see

Mangochic likes this.
  9. SeniorJunior

SeniorJunior New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The fate is that they will swallow all the novels they own. The question is how long everyone can flop on the line before your reeled in.

10. eatadick

eatadick New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes thats exactly what Im suggesting. Go get that dvd warning label lazered off your forehead before you speak in public.

11. SeattleSounders

Reading List:
    Link
    I read both novels.

Blizzard has a case for that the Great Thief since the VRMMORPG does use World of Warcraft setting. So Blizzard could sue for that or send cease and desist. Or ask QI to pay a licensing fee.

As for Rebirth of the Legendary Guardian VRMMORPG, Harry Potter wasn't even mentioned (Terpot Ryhar was mentioned). It was only a few chapters where Terpot Ryhar was the main boss of a level 20 / 30 dungeon along with Ron Weasley. There is no case since it would be a parody. And the only similarity is only the character name. Everything else is different. IIRC, Terpot Ryhar was a necromancer in the novel not a wizard). It's protected under Parody and the novel have like 1000+ chapters and Terpot Ryhar appeared in only 4-5 chapters. JK Rowling has no case. It would be a waste of her lawyer fee anyway.

Qidian will get sued though if they publish the novel "I'm In Hollywood" since celebrities in the novel could sue. So I don't know if Qidian will license that.

12. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    Do note that Tencent, the company that ultimately owns QI, also has a stake in Blizzard, so it's unlikely that a lawsuit will materialize in that case.

13. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Parodies/Fanfiction have to list source to be honest, and if they make money on it that's where you can get sued

14. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    QI, Blizzard and tencent are 3 different companies so the rule still apply. Tencent may willing to ignore the "profit" from suing QI but that doesn't mean the other stakeholder are willing.

15. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    QI is definitely a service of China Reading (formed out of Tencent Literature). Tencent is only a passive investor in Blizzard, so it's theoretically possible that Blizzard could sue, but they still own a sizable (~5%) share which makes them the third biggest institutional backer. To paraphrase another user, Blizzard suing QI would basically be getting your right hand to stab your left hand.

16. SeattleSounders

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe Blizzard won't even care since The Great Thief isn't exactly catching the world on fire with its popularity.

Blizzard hasn't gone after fanfiction on Wattpad, fanfiction.net etc...

If QI put The Great Thief ebook on sales on Amazon, Blizzard might get a cut of the ebook revenue. Or Blizzard can get QI to cease and desist or file lawsuit. Though lawsuit is expensive when an easy cease and desist letter does the same job.

Likewise, Wuxiaworld has the license to Terror Infinity but it might not sell it as an ebook due to possible lawsuit from movies studios.

17. HunterYHunter

HunterYHunter Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't realize that it is that difficult to deal with Korean publishers.

18. kobatochandaisuki

kobatochandaisuki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nobody has really succeeded with Korean publishers (not individual authors) so far if I remember except maybe Shalvation but I don't remember if it went okay or not later as it still had the same things (threathening and "Amercian partner blabla" thing) as I mentionned (if I still remember right). I tried various times, never got any replies.

19. SeattleSounders

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't need to list source for parody.

If you write a fanfiction and profit from it, you could get sued by the original author.

20. reek

reek Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most people wont give a shit about that anyway. We don't care authors get money or not. All we care is to read novels without paying. Sure, there will be some people who pay because of morale issue or whatever but the majority of the people will seek for free shits obviously. Do you even know how many sources for Japanese light novels are in the web even after Yen-press licensed them? So don't fucking push morale bullshit on us "readers and community. We will pay if we think the content is good enough otherwise you wont get a cent from us. And stop shilling here because gaining attraction from loud minority won't do a thing. Just go look at the 2016 election.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.