Novel The Great Game - The Young Master (Ch.308) [finished]

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by rdawv, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Jass

Jass Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oooh, not bad, been following this for a bit. I quite like Huang Ming's antics.
    Although if there's one criticism I'd like to add, its that Huang Ming's plans are going a little too smoothly right now
    As a result, it feels like there's a loss of tension because the possibility of losing something important if his plans were to fail or go awry isn't shown very prominently.

2. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    “You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.”
    --Ryu, ‘Street Fighter II’

Chapter 219 - Visit

Though Chu Feng’s interest in Qiong Ying dwindled after her identity was revealed, It was easy for her to goad Prince Chu Feng into pursuing a rematch.

“Why did you accept that nun’s challenge? Did Concubine Yang not warn you to be restrained and cautious?” she had scolded with a severe tone.

Chu Feng scowled and Qiong Ying knew she had hit the mark.

“I did not see you trying to stop the duel,” he said discontentedly.

“What could I do at that moment?” Qiong Ying replied. “You were so swept up with that Bian Qing that I did not have a chance to get in a word.”

Chu Feng snorted. “What use are you then?”

“You need to worry about yourself more instead of me,” Qiong Ying said. “I can work on Prince Chu Xiong and Huang Ming, but you need to climb out of the hole that you have dug for yourself.”

“What do you mean?”

“How are you going to convince the world that you are going to be the next King of Chu if everyone heard the story of you being defeated by a nun?” Qiong Ying reminded him. “Now that you have made such a commotion, there is no sense in holding back but go all out instead. Are you confident of defeating that Bian Qing?”

The prince thought she was reasonable, and inwardly seethed.

“What should I do then?”

“Of course!” Chu Feng said indignantly. “She only won because I was tired from climbing the stairs.”

“Then you should seek a rematch and wipe away your humiliation,” she said, subtly emphasising the last word.

It worked, for it caused Chu Feng to flare his nostrils in anger.

Over the following days, Chu Feng would smoulder with impatience as he waited for Bian Qing to reappear. He wanted another duel, despite the way he had been easily defeated by her.

Unfortunately for him, Bian Qing was immediately spirited away by Sunli after being lectured by Master Zheng Yen. It was part of the plan to infuriate Chu Feng even further.

“Instructor! Didja hear about what I did?” Bian Qing had bragged excitedly to Sunli.

“I did,” Sunli said solemnly. “You have really poked the hornet’s nest this time. The prince is not a forgiving man.”

“If he dares to show his face again, I’ll just break his nose,” Bian Qing said fearlessly.

Sunli chuckled. “Admirable, but you’re going to bring his wrath on the temple if you do so. You would do well to avoid him.”

Bian Qing’s brow furrowed. “Why should I when he’s the one who lost?”

“Let him cool off for a few days. Come with me to the forest,” Sunli said.

Bian Qing narrowed her eyes suspiciously. “Whatever for? You’re not just taking me away to keep me out of trouble, are you?”

“On the contrary, I’m going to teach you ways so that the next time you face the prince, you can beat him up without causing bruises.”

Bian Qing was overjoyed. “Really?”

“Yes, there is something called ‘grappling’, and he would be completely helpless against it,” Sunli said, recalling the time when Huang Ming had easily overturned the giant guardswoman of Jin’s ambassador. Sunli did not think that she would find yet another powerfully built woman, the thought of training Bian Qing intrigued her.

“Remember, he would be eager for a rematch, but you would also need to provoke him so that he would only find satisfaction by defeating you himself without trickery.”

Thus Bian Qing gleefully followed Sunli into the forest to train, leaving Prince Chu Feng waiting in vain for a few days.

When Bian Qing returned, the prince all but leapt at her.

“Whaddaya want? I have already defeated you,” Bian Qing said with feigned disinterest.

“I demand a rematch!”

Bian Qing placed one fist on her hip. “Is that the way you ask for a favour?” she demanded.

Suppressing his rage, the prince growled, “I humbly seek to exchange pointers.”

Bian Qing sighed exaggeratedly. “Since I’ve already beaten you with the staff, let’s do it barehanded this time.”

The prince was so eager that he immediately clenched his fists and dropped into a horse stance. Much to his anger, Bian Qing merely stood there loosely.

“Well, come on! I don’t have all day,” Bian Qing sneered and beckoned with a wave.

The prince’s eyes become bloodshot and he charged at her with his fists flying.

Bian Qing then proceeded to throw the enraged prince to the ground this way and that way, using what Huang Ming would call aikido and judo. By the end of the ‘spar’, the prince was lying flat on the ground, his eyes wide open as he stared at the blue sky.

“Come back when you want another beating,” Bian Qing said, remembering what Sunli had told her.

It worked, for the prince would continuously seek her out for another ‘spar’. And each time, the giant woman would toss the prince around like a ragdoll. Though the prince was not unfamiliar with unarmed combat, he had mostly trained with weapons as befitting someone who wanted to lead soldiers on the battlefield.

As planned, the prince became obsessed with defeating Bian Qing. Each day would begin with Bian Qing disappearing for the entire morning and only returning by late afternoon, causing the prince to stew with impatience. He would warm up and stay limber well in advance, only to end up flat on his back each time. He was driven to such distraction that he completely ignored his brother and Huang Ming.

Huang Ming would have witnessed such ‘sparring’ for himself, but he was suddenly invited by Master Zheng Yen for a discussion.

At first Huang Ming thought he was being called to advise the prince from causing the daily commotion. After all, she could not risk offending the prince by scolding him. But the stern looking matron really proceeded with a solemn tea ceremony that reminded him of the Japanese custom, rather than the more casual Chinese method.

Master Zheng Yen reverently and silently measured tiny spoons of powdered tea into an exquisitely decorated bowl while a kettle of water gently being heated on a small stove. She then poured the hot water into the bowl and stirs it with a bamboo whisk. Each movement was precise and practised.

Huang Ming sat before her and waited patiently. When the bowl of tea was finally presented to him, he partook it in the Japanese fashion by first admiring the artwork on the bowl; causing Master Zheng Yen to raise an eyebrow with surprise.

“Good tea,” Huang Ming remarked truthfully and bowed after taking several sips.

“My apologies for the poor fare,” Master Zheng Yen replied humbly. “Why did you turn the bowl three times before tasting it?”

“You took the effort to present the tea in this specific bowl, it is given that I have to appreciate the craftsmanship,” Huang Ming stated.

Master Zheng Yen nodded, and her severe look softened. “I did not expect that someone would understand me. Many do not truly see the meaning behind each gesture.”

Huang Ming smiled. “That is because they did not know. You should codify a set of etiquette for the tea ceremony and call it the ‘Way of Tea’. The written word would make it all official. Perhaps you could set a standard for all to follow in the future.”

Her eyes widened. “Do you think it is possible?” she asked, but the light in her eyes betrayed her excitement.

“There is no harm in trying to spread more civilized art in this world,” Huang Ming said.

Master Zheng Yen smiled fleetingly. Suddenly Huang Ming felt the small tea room to turn chilly. “And yet here you are, trying to provoke a civil war in my country.”

Huang Ming’s face did not falter at Master Zheng Yen’s sudden change of demeanour.

“I am trying to prevent one,” he said calmly.

“I cannot help but feel concerned by your interference in the succession affairs of my country,” Master Zheng Yen said coldly.

“But I am not,” Huang Ming said.

“Are you not favouring one prince over the other?” Zheng Yen demanded.

“One treats me as a mentor while the other deemed me as an enemy even before he had seen my face, what do you think?” Huang Ming asked lightly.

“You could always return to your country of Wu,” Zheng Yen suggested.

“And yet by coming here, I have changed Prince Chu Xiong for the better. You are religious, not blind. Don’t tell me you haven’t seen the changes in him, changes that are for the better,” Huang Ming returned.

He folded his arms and looked at the nun almost contemptuously.

“You have secluded yourself in this mountain and besides learning how to serve tea, what good have you done for the world? Praying to invisible beings for advice?”

“Blasphemy!” the nun gasped.

“I am not disparaging your beliefs, Master Zheng Yen. But instead of prayers, the world would prefer more tangible help,” Huang Ming said flatly.

Zheng Yen rose up and pointed a finger at him.

Huang Ming merely tilted his head slightly, waiting for her to launch a diatribe.

But then Zheng Yen’s eyes glazed over. She shuddered, her arm fell back down and she swayed on her feet. Startled, Huang Ming stood to catch her.

But Zheng Yen then straightened up. Life returned to her eyes, but there was something different about her. She sat back down and to Huang Ming’s surprise, she actually gave him a smirk.

“More tangible help, eh?” she asked.

Huang Ming frowned. “Who are you?”

‘Zheng Yen’ grinned. “You just talked about invisible beings, and now you pretend to not know when one has really appeared?”

Huang Ming was unperturbed, thinking that she was pretending to be possessed like the numerous charlatans and frauds that he had encountered before.

His lips curved into a sneer. Then it disappeared when ‘Zheng Yen’ suddenly said:

“You have done quite well for me, Avatar. But you will need to step it up a little.”

Suddenly blessed,
    With an unexpected guest.

NotYoungNorMaster likes this.
  3. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    “Are you not entertained!?”
    --Maximus Decimus Meridius, ‘Gladiator’

Chapter 220 - Incoming storm

It was as if a bomb had went off in Huang Ming’s head.

His mouth fell open as ‘Master Zheng Yen’ casually changed her posture so that she was sitting cross-legged on the straw mat flooring.

“This vessel is so inconvenient,” she complained as she moved, annoyed by the thick and voluminous robes she was wearing. She frowned when she noticed Huang Ming was still standing.

“Well, don’t just stand there like an idiot. Sit down,” she said imperiously.

Still with his mouth hanging open, Huang Ming slowly sat down like an idiot. There were a billion threads running through his brain, where was he going to start?

Of course, the word ‘avatar’ was still just a word. Perhaps it was all a coincidence that she had used it without knowing the true implication it held for Huang Ming. ‘She couldn’t be-’

“Your mind is too noisy, be quiet,” she interrupted. She waved a hand in the air and suddenly Huang Ming felt as if his head was encased in a fish bowl, dampening his senses from the immediate surrounding.

He gasped… and gasped because he couldn’t draw any breath. Huang Ming clawed at his face desperately… while ‘Master Zheng Yen’ was nonchalantly studying a fingernail.

After ticking off some inscrutable speck, she waved her hand again and the stifling sensation around Huang Ming’s head disappeared. He fell forward to his hands and knees and heaved.

“Enough?” ‘Zheng Yen’ asked airily as she gingerly touched her own face and feeling the wrinkles and imperfections.

Huang Ming did not answer as he was physically busy drawing the air into his lungs.

‘Maybe she’s a ESPer native to this world?’

‘Zheng Yen’ sighed in annoyance.

Before his very eyes, her face began to shed the years. The wrinkles disappeared and the skin became tighter and paler, her hair became darker and longer. The 40-year old woman became a sprightly teenage girl. She flapped the now overly big sleeves of her robes experimentally.

‘Maybe she’s a shapeshifter too.’

The de-aged ‘Zheng Yen’ rolled her eyes.

“Oh shut up,” she said, even though Huang Ming haven’t said anything.

She snapped her fingers and Huang Ming reflexively flinched.

Nothing happened.

Then he heard the wind outside picking up. He turned to look out of the window and he saw ominous dark clouds gathering in the sky. The weather which had been perfectly fine had turned forbidding and gloomy.

“Stop doubting your Patron, or do you want to see a Great Flood and for you to become Noah?” she asked peevishly.

‘Ok, I’m convinced.’

“Good. Now sit down, we have things to discuss,” she commanded.

Huang Ming obediently sat straighter, still unsure about how he going to deal with the situation.

“Just deal with it,” ‘Zheng Yen’ said brusquely.

“I don’t even know what to call you!” Huang Ming said exasperatedly.

She tilted her head in a childish gesture. “Miss Black?”

Huang Ming glared at her.

“My name is not important, Avatar. Just as your real name isn’t important,” she said breezily.

He was completely at a loss. How often had he dreamt of the improbable, that he would one day meet the Patron that was responsible for whisking him away from Earth and threw him on quantum leap journeys? He had a long list of questions and demands, yet at this moment he did not know where to start.

“Your mind is rambling again,” she scolded him. “Start from the beginning.”

Huang Ming took a deep breath.

“Why me?” he asked.

“Why not you?” she returned.

‘Maybe I should strangle her instead.’

“Don’t be absurd. This is just a temporary vessel. You would only be harming the owner of this body, not me.”

Huang Ming scowled, and she seemed to take some perverse pleasure at seeing him so irked.

“You were chosen by me because of the way you think,” she said.

“What? Why must you work in mysterious ways and talk cryptically?” Huang Ming grumbled.

She folded her arms and looked at him with undisguised frankness. “You seem to be under the impression that you are important. You are, but not really. You are unique, but replaceable.”

“Thanks,” Huang Ming said sarcastically.

She pointed a finger at him in an ‘aha!’ gesture. “See, that right there. Someone else in your position would probably be freaking out.”

“I did freak out earlier,” Huang Ming reminded her.

“Yes, but you could think while freaking out,” she said. “You have lived through multiple lives across many worlds, yet you longed to go back to your version of Earth. But that longing did not stop you from living those lives to the fullest.”

“Most of the time,” Huang Ming muttered.

“Most of the time,” Miss Black agreed. “I did not appreciate the stunt you pulled on Veralda.”

Huang Ming looked at her questioningly.

“The one where you jumped off a building right after you had arrived,” she said. “You did not even bother to find out who or where you were.”

“Ah,” Huang Ming said sheepishly. “Well, what did you expect? I was tired of it all. And if I’m not important, why do I keep getting picked?”

“You have thought of this analogy yourself, but I will confirm it to you. Imagine all the books you have read, all the movies you have seen, all those games you have played. Your ‘quantum leaps’ as you call it; are you jumping into such worlds. Sometimes as a new addition, sometimes as an established character. You know this yourself, and you live out those ‘roles’ the best you can. Your fellow Avatars call it ‘becoming the Main Character’, don’t they?”

“And you are someone who watches all that. A reality tv show of epic proportions,” Huang Ming interjected sarcastically.

“You longed to go home because no matter how thorough those ‘lives’ you had experienced, you still think that your life on Earth is the real one. But to us, your ‘real’ life is as illusionary as all the characters you have played and lived.”

Huang Ming’s face twitched.

Miss Black propped one fist on her cheek, the elbow on her knee. “I have watched you diligently, all of you. I can admire the things you Avatars have accomplished, I can become angry at the deeds you commit, I can even cheer for you. But remember the feelings you had when you finished a book or a game. You might feel dissatisfied, inspired, moved or irritated. Such feelings might last a few hours or linger for the rest of your life. And you out of your fellow Avatars have given me such feelings the most.”

“So it’s all entertainment to you? It’s really a Great Game? Why not tell us participants the rules and scoring system?” Huang Ming asked acidly.

“Not just entertainment,” Miss Black replied sternly. “There are things at stake… things that you cannot possible understand. There is no need for you to understand. You only need to live your life and you will be naturally guided to your opponent.”

“What’s in it for me? How does it all end?” Huang Ming scowled.

“It will end naturally. Don’t think about it too much, there’s nothing you can do about it.”

“This seems all terribly inefficient,” Huang Ming said. “Why not just create a cosmic dueling ring and find the most powerful beings of each universe and have them fight it out for you?”

“It has been done. The novelty wore off,” she said flatly.

Huang Ming threw his hands up in disgust. “And of course, you’re not allowed to intervene in this ‘game’, am I right?”

“All I can do is to give you a like or dislike, using your Earth parlance,” she chuckled.

“Then why are you here?” Huang Ming demanded. “Are you going to give me some cheats?”

“Like what?” Miss Black asked, amusement in her eyes.

Huang Ming paused, his face hopeful. “You know, the usual. Like a menu system. Dimensional storage. See the status of everyone and everything. That kind of stuff.”

“This is not that sort of world.”

“I know! Which is why it would be called a cheat!” he exclaimed.

“You are already doing well without them,” she pointed out.

“You’re the one who said I should step up,” he shot back. “What exactly are you doing here? Giving me a pep talk while the other Avatar got here a full ten years before me?”

She smiled. “You are right: your opponent Avatar had arrived in this world much earlier than you. That is not supposed to happen.”

Huang Ming breathed in deeply. “So, it’s really the Princess of Jin?”

“Yes.”

The dark skies outside rumbled threateningly. The weather was shaping up to a terrific storm for the ages.

“You can stop trying to impress me,” Huang Ming said.

“That wasn’t me,” Miss Black replied grimly.

And that’s when he knew,
    There was no help from you.

4. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    Flight delays, but managed to make it home for Mid-Autumn Festival dinner.

---

“But I am a generous god.”
    --King Xerxes, ‘300’

Chapter 221 - Gift

“If not you, then who… oh,” Huang Ming realized. He looked up at the dark clouds warily.

“Nothing will happen as long as I am here,” Miss Black said dismissively.

“I’m worried about when you’re not here,” Huang Ming replied.

Miss Black opened her mouth to respond when the sky began to rumble ominously.

“We have an agreement, get lost!” Miss Black snarled. She shook a fist at the skies, and incongruously; the dark clouds actually retreated. The clouds relocated to squat at a neighbouring mountain peak. Huang Ming could almost imagine some entity within staring back at them with simmering wrath.

“What is there to stop your opponent from meddling even more?” he asked.

“We are not to interfere in the Great Game, it would take all the fun out of it,” Miss Black answered with all seriousness.

“Really. What about the fact that the enemy Avatar arrived so much earlier than me, hmm?” Huang Ming asked sarcastically.

“I told you, it was not supposed happen,” she said testily. “We are still investigating.”

Huang Ming had a sardonic expression. “Aren’t you guys supposed to be all-knowing and omnipotent?”

“It is… unusual, to say the least; to be puzzled by something,” she admitted.

Huang Ming rolled his eyes. “Maybe you guys already know but decided to erase it from your minds just to keep this interesting.”

Miss Black raised an eyebrow appreciatively. “Perhaps you are right. When I return, I will have to consult.”

“Consult who?” Huang Ming asked curiously.

“Other parts of myself, of course. I am not all here,” she told him.

“Ah. You’re doing the ‘send bits and parts of me to observe everyone and everything’ shtick,” Huang Ming said knowingly.

“You know it well,” she nodded.

“Do you also have a big head like Uatu?” Huang Ming asked, recalling a comic character from Earth.

“I do not have a big head,” Miss Black said while frowning. She tried peering into Huang Ming’s mind again to see what he meant and to her surprise; she suddenly found a mental barrier. It was a trivial sort of defence that meant nothing to someone of her stature; she only stopped because she simply did not expect to find any sort of resistance at all.

“You dared to try such a thing at this point in time? Are you not afraid of spontaneous combustion?” she asked, astounded by his gall.

“I figured that you will step in to save me,” Huang Ming said with relief. It was a minor spell from another world, the success of which lifted his spirits immensely.

“Why would I?” Miss Black demanded.

“Because you might think it was caused by your opponent. Besides, aren’t you here to give me a cheat in exchange for that ten-year headstart?”

“No, I am not. And do not do that again unless you want to burst into flames,” she said brusquely.

Huang Ming stared at her, flabbergasted. “Then what are you doing here? Even without telling me about the princess, I am already on a collision course with her,” he demanded.

Miss Black raised a finger and Huang Ming felt the impression of a dome-like wall of energy had enveloped the room. Suddenly the ambience of rumbling thunder in the background was cut off, and there was only sterile silence.

“That old fart was becoming annoying,” she said with self-satisfaction. Huang Ming glanced out at the window. The dark clouds on the neighbouring mountain peak seemed to have thickened; there were even the occasional flash of lightning. But within the bubble of energy, Huang Ming couldn’t hear the thunder.

“Where was I? Oh, right. No, I can’t give you a cheat,” Miss Black said.

Huang Ming glared at her with impotent rage.

“What I can do is to give you a reward,” she continued, effectively dousing his anger.

“What?”

“I have taken into account of your various experiences and your merits that you have achieved while in service to me. What is it that you desire while in this particular world?” she asked.

A host of answers swarmed in Huang Ming’s mind. What an open question! It was more than he had hoped for. Even though she had denied him ‘cheats’, wasn’t this the same?

“No, it is not the same. A cheat is something completely out of the ordinary of the setting. For example, magic powers in a technological world. Or constructing mechanical wonders in a backward fantasy setting. I do not want to see this world turned upside down by such a method. It has been done before… you have done it before,” she admonished.

“Don’t worry, frightening the natives can be pretty tiring. Do you know how many times I nearly got burned at the stake for being a ‘heretic’?”

“I know, I see everything,” she reminded him.

Everything?” Huang Ming echoed.

“Everything,” she confirmed with a deadpan.

“Even…”

“Yes.”

He facepalmed.

“To see you rant and curse against the being responsible for you being an Avatar was quite entertaining at times. But others have done it before and so I am not very offended,” Miss Black said evenly.

Huang Ming looked up, relief on his face.

“I have witnessed the births of entire planetary systems and unique lifeforms. To see the biological acts such as procreation is nothing in comparison,” she continued.

He facepalmed again as she calmly took a sip of the tea. Her face scrunched up at the taste, and she nonchalantly tapped the cup before taking another taste. She evidently changed the contents to something more agreeable, because there was a pleased expression on her face.

Huang Ming scowled. “Why don’t you burst into flames...” he muttered underneath his breath, envious at her ability to freely cast magic.

Miss Black narrowed her eyes and Huang Ming quickly averted his gaze.

“Ahem, I mean, what exactly can you give me? Strength?” he asked hurriedly.

“Your exercising every day made you quite fit and in better shape than the average dweller of this world,” Miss Black said.

“Alright. What about boosting my mental capabilities then?”

“You have already compassed the deaths of entire armies, and due to your experience; had remained calm in the face of tremendous adversity. At this point in time, you already have several plans well in progression.”

Huang Ming’s expectations were dampened somewhat by her roundabout refusal, and he had the sneaky suspicion that more was to come.

“Give me a boost in charisma?”

“Your tongue is glib enough and you already have two love interests,” she pointed out. “Do you want more?”

“No,” he sighed as he saw the writing on the wall. “Wealth?”

“Your mother’s family is rich and prosperous.”

“Power?”

“Your father and second brother are military generals of great fame. You yourself have already have nobility rank.”

“You are so stingy,” Huang Ming said, disgruntled.

Miss Black ignored the complaint and sipped her drink. “Decide quickly, our allotted time is running short.”

Huang Ming threw up his hands in exasperation. “Why don’t you just give me a treasure and be done with it?”

“Done.”

Before Huang Ming could vocalize an “Eh?”, there was a soft glow in the room and…

Words spoken in tiff,
    Seized upon quite swift,
    The short end of the stick,
    He felt that was the gift.

5. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you HoronXI for your patronage!

So jetlagged that I actually lost track of the day...

---

“These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.”
    --Obi-Wan Kenobi, ‘Star Wars: A New Hope’

Chapter 222 - Reward

…and when the glow faded, Huang Ming did not see anything out of the ordinary. He glanced around the room and then looked down on himself.

Miss Black continued to sip at her drink.

Nothing seemed to have changed.

“What did you do?” Huang Ming asked with a frown.

“You wanted a treasure, so I gave you one,” she replied.

His frown deepened as he looked as his very obviously empty hands.

“Well, where is it?”

“It is inside of you,” she answered nonchalantly.

Huang Ming was aghast. “What?”

“You asked about strength and such, but you forgotten one of the common attributes.”

Huang Ming mentally ticked off what he had mentioned previously before coming to a conclusion.

“Luck?” he asked uncertainly. “Is that even a thing?”

“I am imbuing you some modicum of good luck,” Miss Black said. “I think you deserve that much after all that you have been through for me.”

“You mean because of you,” he muttered.

She ignored his snide comment. “You can think of it as the small pebble rolling down a hill, working small things in your favour. What might kill you would only seriously maim you for life or turn you into a vegetable, for example.”

Huang Ming stared at her. “How is that a reward!?”

“Ah, but knowing that might cause you to be too overly reckless and change your behaviour. Wait; let me remove that from your memory.”

“What?”

“Don’t worry, it’s painless.”

She waved a hand vaguely over his general direction. “See?”

“See what?” Huang Ming asked. “I thought you’re supposed to give me a reward. Where is it?”

Miss Black smiled as she enjoyed her own private joke. “Forget it. Let us move on, you can ask me anything you want.”

Huang Ming sighed, feeling as if she had pulled a prank on him. He sat to face her directly, eye to eye.

“Are they well?” he asked quietly.

“Yes.”

Huang Ming raised an eyebrow skeptically. “All of them?”

“We have determined that our Avatars are often concerned for the well-being of the various individuals that they have come across. And so we have decided to make it so that their friends and loved ones live well,” she explained as she placed her tea cup back down. “And for their enemies to suffer,” she added matter-of-factly.

It was as if an enormous mountain had lifted from Huang Ming’s shoulders. All his lives, all his time spent in this or that body… the undying loves, the lovable children, the blood brothers, great rivals, friends and relatives… the inextinguishable hatreds and unending feuds and unfinished business… all had weighed heavily on his mind. Over time, some feelings eventually disappear, some memories eventually fade away. But there are some that would stay with him forever. Some… more than others.

“When it is all done, you may return to whatever time and place you desire. For now, you may ask about someone specific, if you wish. Consider it as an additional reward,” Miss Black offered.

And so he asked. The dark beauty who was his companion adventurer against the forces of evil… the alien honorbound warrior who fought by his side on innumerable planets… the sharpshooter on a steampunk world… the mercenary techno-wizard… the one-eyed ace pilot…

And finally, he asked about his parents and siblings on Earth.

They all lived and died well, long after he had left.

“Do you feel better now?”

“Yes,” Huang Ming admitted, his misty eyes had long since dried. Words could not express what he was feeling at the moment. Perhaps, it was the best sort of reward he could have ever hoped for.

“Good,” she said with a smile, pleased with herself.

Then Huang Ming glared at her. “What is the point of doing all that unless you let the Avatars know?” he asked softly. He was relieved… and yet also angered. None of his fellow Avatars had told him of such things, they had spent many idle moments chatting wistfully about those that they have left behind.

“We let them know when their term of service to us has expired. Or, as you put it, ‘ascended’.”

“Why?”

“How else would you reward an Avatar? You can already gain fame, power, sexual conquests and such in those lives you have experienced. You yourself jumped out of a building hoping to end it all,” she reminded him.

“I wouldn’t have jumped if you had told us that. We’d be more motivated to grind out our service to the end.”

“As I said, that would modify your behaviour due to our intervention. You would do things differently if you already know the ending.”

“When did you say that?” Huang Ming’s frown deepened.

Once more, she waved a hand.

“Forget it,” she said.

“Forget what? I am still waiting for my reward.”

“You have already received it.”

“I did?”

“Hold on, I will need to remove that too, in case that someone or something reads your mind.”

She waved again.

“Why do you keep waving your hand like that?”

“Don’t you feel better now?” Miss Black asked smugly.

“Ah. Hmm, I am. Why?” Huang Ming wondered aloud. It was as if his very soul was lighter, and the dark thoughts that had always been in the back of his mind had been dispelled. ‘But why are my eyes so dry?’

“Let’s move on,” Miss Black interrupted. “I cannot help you much in this world, but since I am allowed to give you some hints. What do you want to know about your enemy Avatar?”

“Do I know this enemy Avatar? How experienced is she?” Huang Ming asked.

“You have yet to cross paths with her before. She’s relatively quite new, compared to you.”

“Really. Maybe that is why she arrived sooner?”

“No, that should not have happened. It should be a level playing ground. You humans have a gaming term for this. ‘Matchmaking’, I believe.”

There was something disconcerting to hear a cosmic-spanning event involving omnipotent gods being described with mundane gaming phrases.

“I use them because it is conveniently familiar to you,” she said with a roll of her eyes.

“Right. Then, does she know who I am? I mean, as her opponent Avatar.”

To his relief, she shook her head. “No. But she is suspicious by nature and you are in her path anyway. So when I said you need to pick up the pace, I mean it.”

“I see. I don’t suppose you can break one of her legs and force her to rest?” Huang Ming asked lightly.

“That would be considered as a breach of the rules.”

“I know, I know,” Huang Ming sighed.

“Now that you know, it is time for me to leave,” she said as she stood up.

“Already? I feel a little shortchanged…” Huang Ming chuckled hollowly.

“Don’t worry, we will meet again when you are done,” she said confidently. Then she frowned. “Assuming that you win, that is.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence,” he said sarcastically.

“You have no idea. I have faith in you, Avatar,” Miss Black said.

“You just want to be entertained,” Huang Ming said with a lopsided smile.

“And to win,” she added with a smirk of her own.

The dome of silent energy disappeared and immediately Huang Ming was assailed by a gust of violent wind that forced him to close his eyes and raise his hands protectively.

Something crashed into him, and he reflexively held on to whatever had collided into him.

When he opened his eyes after the wind had subsided, he saw an angry and flushed Master Zheng Yen in his arms. Her appearance had been restored. Was he mistaken but did she look younger than before Miss Black’s possession?

“Ah. Hello,” he greeted sheepishly.

“Let go of me this instant, you ruffian,” she hissed.

He sighed as she quickly got away from him, her eyes glaring daggers at him.

‘Some god she is, pulling a prank like this at the very end.’

‘I see everything, you know,’ a tiny voice in his mind reminded him.

The god gave her pick,
    A parting trick.

6. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    “Tea, Earl Grey, hot.”
    --Captain Jean-Luc Picard, ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation’

Chapter 223 - Relaxed

“How dare you behave so obscene,” Master Zheng Yen hissed through clenched teeth, thoroughly outraged that she was manhandled by Huang Ming.

Huang Ming blinked but quickly recovered his wits and utilized one of his maxims: When in doubt, deny. Deny using nonsense.

“Master Zheng Yen, you’re the one who fell into me. You took one drink of your own brew and keeled over.”

“Nonsense!” she thundered. But there was heat in her cheeks. Whether it was from the shame of being touched by a male or the flash of anger, she was not sure. Certainly, it was impossible for it to be the flush resulting from alcohol… or was it?

“Really? You were saying how good the tea tasted,” Huang Ming said, pointing towards her tea cup that was still in her hands.

It was all nonsense, of course. But Master Zheng Yen frowned. Try as she might, she could not immediately recall how she ended up in his arms. The mere thought of it increased her ire. To think she was so affected, like a silly young maiden!

She picked up her tea cup and sniffed the remaining liquid within. To her surprise, she could detect an enticing aroma. It was subtle, yet her brows shot up appreciatively.

“What did you do?” she asked suspiciously.

“Me?” Huang Ming pointed to himself in surprise. “You were the one who brewed it.”

Master Zheng Yen’s frown deepened. She had absolutely no recollection about it.

“Did you forget? We were discussing how you should formalize the tea ceremony, for you to put all that you have learned into a set of procedures to promote the art and healing power of tea. Maybe this is why you should do so,” Huang Ming said glibly.

Master Zheng Yen glanced around the room and it was obvious from the surrounding mess that she was indeed the source of the commotion. Belatedly, she saw that the small table, teapot and utensils had been overturned from her side.

Her short-term memory seemed to be in a fog, was she really that affected by her own drink? She looked down at her cup once more, resisting the temptation to taste the remnants. Was there a contaminant in the tea leaves? A mistake in the way she had brewed it?

Pity that the teapot had overturned. Perhaps Huang Ming was right, she should write down everything and prevent such an embarrassment from ever happening again.

“Whatever that tea was, it seemed super effective,” Huang Ming remarked lightly.

“Enough, please leave,” Master Zheng Yen said wearily as she clutched her forehead.

Huang Ming graciously nodded without complaint. But before he left the room, he couldn’t resist a last jibe.

“I have seen tea used in a myriad of ways but for someone to actually get drunk from drinking tea… Master Zheng Yen, you’re the first one,” he said with a chuckle as he left.

Only the years of meditation prevented her from lashing out in anger. After taking several deep breaths, she stepped out of the room to find one of her apprentice nuns.

“Go clean the tea room, there was an accident,” she said.

The apprentice stared at her with her mouth agog.

“What is wrong?” Master Zheng Yen snapped, unused to this sort of reaction.

“Master…you look... radiant!” the apprentice gasped. She hurriedly brought over a basin of clear water so that her master could see.

Upon seeing her own reflection, Master Zheng Yen was shocked. Some of her wrinkles disappeared, and while no one could ever mistaken her for a young maiden, she was no longer the frumpy woman who was austere beyond her years.

What was it that Huang Ming said? The healing power of tea…

“Quick, fetch me the writing materials!”

Elsewhere, Huang Ming was humming a tune to himself as he sat under the shade of tree. Despite the strange meeting with Master Zheng Yen, Huang Ming felt truly at peace in a long, long time.

Did he also drink the tea? Because he felt so relaxed to the point of being giddy. He could drift away smilingly into a sleep without a care, despite Miss Black telling him to be more urgent. It was as if he just knew that his age-old worries were assuaged, that it was fine for him to truly loosen up for today.

“What are you doing here?” a voice softly asked.

He opened one eye to see Sunli looming over him.

“Sit with me,” he said with a smile.

She tilted her head quizzically, but accepted the invitation after looking around.

“Something happened to you,” the dusky Amazon said after studying his face.

He shrugged. “I just feel… happy.”

In the past, Sunli would be furious at him. They were in the midsts of enemies, and here he was, lazing around without a care in the world.

But today, there was a serene look on his face. He was like the cliché commonly found in the novels that she read: an aloof, simple person who cared not for the troubles of the world.

It reminded her of their first meeting, where he was frivolous and cared little for proprieties. But this time there was no mischief in his eyes, no calculation behind the scenes. The self-satisfied smile on his lips was that of someone who just had a delicious meal or indulged in something truly luxurious.

“Are you on drugs?” she demanded.

The charge was so out of the blue that Huang Ming laughed out loud.

“Quiet!” Sunli whispered fiercely, afraid that someone would take notice of them sitting together underneath the tree. She started to get back on her feet, but Huang Ming reached out and pulled her down into his embrace.

“What are you-” Sunli started to exclaim in astonishment even as she blushed hotly. By reflex, her body jerked to get free.

“Shhh,” Huang Ming admonished gently and encircled his arms around her.

She was taken back to the past once more… to the time when she had challenged him and ended up being defeated by a similar, all encompassing hold. Her dark skin reddened when she recalled the memory of being held forcefully against his naked upper body back then. But there was no force this time, it was as if she was being enveloped by warmth.

“Let me go, someone might see and blow our cover!” she hissed tersely to cover her shyness.

When he did not respond, she turned to glare at him, only to find his eyes closed in bliss.

“Let us have this moment, we deserve this much,” he murmured as he nestled closer to her.

There was no lewd desire nor lust from him, there was only comfort.

A gentle breeze washed over them, and Sunli found herself loosening up her tense muscles and allowing herself to indulge for a brief moment.

Soon they will need to put into motion their plan to pressure Prince Chu Feng and hopefully provide the impetus for their candidate Prince Chu Xiong to be chosen as the heir apparent of this rival kingdom. This would ensure the safety of their southern borders. Then they can return to Wu, deal with General Yin Yanzhao and prepare against the Jins from the north.

But until then, they deserved this much…

After the debrief,
    A great relief.

7. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    More lateness.

---

“What is love?
    Baby don’t hurt me,
    Don’t hurt me,
    No more…”
    --Haddaway, ‘What is Love’

Chapter 224 – Brainwash

Huang Ming and Sunli were literally wrapped around each other, a tranquil bubble of bliss as they lay underneath a tree. They were, as Huang Ming had said, enjoying the moment.

Little did they realize that someone was spying on them.

It was Qiong Ying who discovered the spy. She had just given some comforting but ultimately useless words to encourage Prince Chu Feng after suffering yet another beatdown from Bian Qing. After soothing the battered prince and encouraging him to try again soon; she went around to look for Huang Ming.

Along the way, she saw the distinctive figure of Bian Qing striding triumphantly out of the courtyard, presumably to brag about her latest win to the guest instructor Sunli.

Thinking that Huang Ming could very well be with Sunli, Qiong Ying decided to follow the bigger woman. Then Bian Qing suddenly halted and humorously tried to hide her huge frame behind a tree.

Curious, Qiong Ying approached her from behind. Bian Qing was so engrossed at trying to hide that she did not hear her.

“What are you looking at?” Qiong Ying asked softly.

Bian Qing very nearly jumped out of her skin. The sight of such a powerfully built woman being startled so amused Qiong Ying.

“Nothing!” Bian Qing exclaimed.

Qiong Ying peered around her hunched shoulders. There, in the distance were two figures lying under the shade of a great tree.

“Hmm hmm hmmm,” Qiong Ying hummed in recognition. “Is that who I think it is?”

“Shh!” Bian Qing hushed fiercely, but turned back to spy on the blissfully unaware couple.

Qiong Ying studied the big woman: her face was flushed and her eyes were shaking. It was obvious that despite her stature, Bian Qing had never encountered such an intimate scene before.

In some ways, Bian Qing reminded her of Sunli. And yet Sunli was now lying in Huang Ming’s arms, something that was not easily imagined previously.

“So romantic,” Qiong Ying sighed audibly so that it would reach Bian Qing’s ears.

The big woman stiffened. “How can they do such a thing?” Bian Qing whispered.

Qiong Ying thought it was hilarious to see the powerful woman who had so easily given Prince Chu Feng so much grief was blushing and scandalized like some innocent maiden.

“It is obvious that they enjoyed each other’s company, what is wrong with that?” Qiong Ying replied with a smile.

“But they aren’t married!” Bian Qing insisted.

Qiong Ying raised an eyebrow in surprise. “You are more conservative than I thought,” she murmured.

“What does that mean? Do you think I’m some sort loose woman?” Bian Qing groused. Yet her actions did not suit her words as she still kept her eyes on Huang Ming and Sunli.

“I just did not take you to be someone old-fashioned,” Qiong Ying said.

“I am not!” Bian Qing denied. “But aren’t they afraid?”

“Afraid of what?” Qiong Ying asked, genuinely puzzled.

Bian Qing hunched and squirmed with embarrassment.

“Babies, of course!” she whispered. “What if they kiss and made a baby?”

Qiong Ying stared at her incredulously. Then she smiled as an idea popped in her mind.

“Well, if that happens, I’m sure Sir Huang will take responsibility.”

“Why would the guest instructor fall for such a scrawny guy?” Bian Qing complained.

“Who knows? Love can be mysterious,” Qiong Ying remarked softly.

“Love, pfeh! What is love, can one eat it?” Bian Qing said disdainfully. But still, her eyes were riveted on them.

“Love is when someone is persistent towards another. Day after day, unable to bear being apart from each other,” Qiong Ying said.

“The guest instructor must have found it annoying to be pestered by such a bookish bug of a man,” Bian Qing grumbled.

“Hard to say. She does look happy, doesn’t she?” Qiong Ying chuckled.

“I don’t understand,” Bian Qing admitted.

“You will. Isn’t there already a dashing young man seeking you out every day?” Qiong Ying asked mischievously.

“What!” Bian Qing sputtered.

“Shh!” It was Qiong Ying’s turn to hush urgently at her.

Bian Qing comically clapped a hand over her own mouth. She worriedly turned to check that neither Huang Ming nor Sunli had discovered them. They still lay there unmoving under the tree, much to her relif.

“Whatever do you mean!” Bian Qing hissed.

“Prince Chu Feng, of course,” Qiong Ying said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

It was so unexpected to Bian Qing that her mouth fell open in astonishment, her eyes blinking rapidly.

“You must be joking,” she finally said.

“Am I? He looks for you everyday even though you lay him out on the floor each time. How else would you interpret that?”

“He just doesn’t want to admit defeat,” Bian Qing scoffed.

“Of course. And it could be something else as well,” Qiong Ying insisted gently.

“Nonsense,” Bian Qing said, but she became nervous. She twiddled her thumbs, unsure of what she was feeling. “He’s the prince! Why would he be interested in someone like… like me?”

“Because he has never seen anyone like you before,” Qiong Ying supplied. “Men covet what they cannot get. Think about it: he is a sheltered prince, used to throwing his weight around. You are someone completely new to him, an impossible existence. You are bigger than him, stronger and more skillful. Now you’re like a mountain for him to climb, a challenge to conquer.”

Qiong Ying dropped her voice and added, “A woman to subdue.”

Bian Qing bristled. “He seeks to tame me like some pet?!”

“Of course It is just my guess. But it is not too far-fetched,” Qiong Ying shrugged. “I have seen your sparring sessions. The way his eyes look at you, the glee when he manages to land a touch, the joy he feels when he is with you is evident to all.”

Bian Qing collapsed. She gasped, recalling all the looks the prince had given her. She had thought it was full of fury and fierceness… but Qiong Ying’s persuasive words made her mind put a veneer of hot blooded, feverish obsession over the prince’s face.

“Oh, surely it can’t be that bad,” Qiong Ying consoled. “He is a prince after all. Young and handsome and not one of those bookish men. I’d say he’s quite the catch.”

“Wha… what should I do?” Bian Qing asked frantically.

“Is it really that bad?” Qiong Ying asked.

“I don’t want to wear frilly dresses and stay cooped up! That is why-” Bian Qing stopped herself. “I mean, I don’t want to be some meek wife!”

Qiong Ying frowned. “Who said you have to be a meek wife?”

All women become meek once they marry and become a wife,” Bian Qing said with all seriousness.

“But you’re no ordinary woman,” Qiong Ying pointed out. “He is a prince. There is no reason for you to change once you are together.”

“You mean, I can still be me?” Bian Qing asked, subconsciously already accepting the premise of the discussion.

“Of course. He likes you for who you are now, after all. Let me tell you a secret: a woman should constantly remind her man why he fell for her in the first place,” Qiong Ying whispered conspiratorially.

Bian Qing sighed with relief. But then her brows furrowed.

“You said that the prince wishes to subdue me. But I don’t want to be tamed,” she grumbled.

“Well, you can always tame him instead,” Qiong Ying suggested.

“Really?” Bian Qing brightened.

“Of course. There are many ways. What do you prefer, the slow way or the easy way?”

Bian Qing scratched the back of her head. “The easier, the better. I don’t like drawn out, complicated stuff,” she grunted.

Qiong Ying smiled broadly as she fiddled with the bottle of perfume in her sleeves.

“Oh, believe me, this isn’t too complicated at all.”

Despite her objection,
    She fell for the misdirection.

8. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    When the internet goes down, it goes down on the weekend...

---

“Each man recalls not the enemy he hated, but the champion who engaged him with such valor.”
    --Steven Pressfield, ‘Last of the Amazons’

Chapter 225 – Subdued

A half-naked and despondent Prince Chu Feng gritted his teeth as he applied a refreshing ointment on his sores and bruises. His body had been battered from the punishment Bian Qing had given him over the past few days. Yet his mind was consumed by his desire to defeat her, more concerned by the humiliation rather than the physical pain or the soothing feeling from rubbing the balm.

“How could someone like her exist?” he muttered resentfully as he rubbed the medication on himself.

Every move he tried did not work. Whether with weapons or barehanded, her strength was too overwhelming. And when he did manage to get close to land a hit, she simply shrugged it off. Instead, her big, beefy hands would grab him and… that would be the end of the spar. She would throw him around like a rag doll, slamming him to the ground this way and that; covering him in a cloud of dust.

Though, today was a little different.

Today, instead of throwing him around; she wrapped her powerful arms around him in a bear hug and squeezed. Was it his imagination or was she wearing a fragrance? He was certainly close enough to smell her…

After he had shouted to admit defeat, she even looked at him in concern. Usually she would just laugh loudly and stomp off without so much as giving him a glance.

The prince winced as he felt the pain from his back. Strangely though, his chest and ribs were not much affected. Maybe it was because her front was softer than expected when compared to her muscled arms that had circled around his back. He did not expect her to be so impressively endowed in the upper chest area…

He shook his head angrily even as he felt a rising heat in his body. It was just a natural reaction, he was definitely not attracted to the brutish woman! Sure, she looked was exotic and unfamiliar. The shock of long red hair and the faded scar on her cheek gave her a wild sort of look, a female personification of a force of nature.

She was a challenge, and he can’t wait to defeat her and establish his dominance. How dare she humiliate him, a prince! He not only wanted to defeat her in a spar, but to also break her spirit.

The prince smiled with sadistic anticipation.

Suddenly, there was a knock on his door. He nearly jumped with fright, as if someone had detected his evil thoughts.

“Who is it?” he managed to croak.

There was no answer, but the knocks became impatiently louder. But before the prince could issue another challenge, the door thrown open violently.

“So slow!” Bian Qing complained as she barged into the room. She paused when she noticed his state of undress.

Prince Chu Feng gaped at her. The brazen, red-haired she-devil had walked into his room without a care in the world; as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

“What are you doing here?” he asked with shock.

“Just to check up on ya. I used too much strength earlier, sorry about that,” she apologized unconvincingly.

“Are you making fun of me?” he snarled.

“Why would I make fun of you?” Bian Qing asked with genuine surprise.

The medicinal balm he used gave his muscular body a slight sheen; and the smell of camphor was refreshing and enticing. Bian Qing’s eyes roved all over his body without restraint, causing Chu Feng’s nostrils to flare angrily.

“Seen enough?” he sneered, thoroughly astounded that a woman would greedily look at him this way. He recalled the way he had leered at the women that were ordered to his bed, they were all delicate and timid creatures that allowed him to have his way with them. It was disconcerting to on the receiving end, particularly from such a powerful woman.

“You’re not a scrawny ponce after all,” Bian Qing said light-heartedly. The smirk accentuated the faded scar on her cheek, causing Chu Feng’s eyes to be drawn to it.

Bian Qing grew self-conscious by his stare. “What are you looking at?” she growled as she jutted her chin out proudly, deliberately turning her face slightly to show off the scar.

“How did you get that scar?” Chu Feng asked. All the women that he had known were maidens: jade-skinned beauties with unblemished skin… until he was done with them. So too were the concubines and maids in the palace: all hand-picked for their grace and beauty.

Growing up in the palace and familiar with the infighting within the harem, he was no stranger to vicious plots where the royal concubines and maids would disfigure a rival’s face and thus cause her to fall out of favour from the king. Some would return to their home in shame, others who could not bear the shame would take their own life.

Yet, Bian Qing was here before him: proud, fearless, unbowed.

Maybe because he had met her in continuous sparring sessions, but he felt this gigantic woman was guileless. He did not sense duplicity or trickery from her.

Sure, he may have been duped by that blasted Huang Ming before the first duel, but thereafter she had honestly exploited her superior strength and skill to overcome him time and again.

“None of your business,” she grunted.

How many would dare say that to his face? A woman, no less. Well, a big, strong woman. But still, a woman…

He shook his head.

“More importantly, are you really alright? I’m pretty good with a massage, you know,” Bian Qing offered clumsily.

Was it his imagination or was she actually blushing?

What is this, what is going on?

Suddenly keenly aware that he was stripped to the waist, he mustered what remained of his dignity.

“I think you should leave,” he said stiffly.

It instantly wiped the smirk away from Bian Qing’s face. The red flush in her face remained, but the hesitant look was replaced with one with of anger.

“Make me,” she said, her eyes glowering at him. As if to emphasize her point, she planted herself on a stool, her hands on her thighs and her legs spread apart like a grand general dominating the entire room.

She looked very valiant and awe-inspiring, despite wearing common, sleeveless robes. There was an aura of implacable might surrounding her, and for a brief moment the prince feared the possibility of violence. Despite his bravado, he knew there was little chance of him removing Bian Qing. In fact, it was more likely that he would suffer the indignity of being thrown out of his own room instead.

“Fine. You stay, I’ll go,” the prince said with a huff.

But as he turned to leave, a bear paw clamped on his wrist to stop him.

“Where do you think you’re going at this hour?” Bian Qing demanded.

The whole situation was completely out of the prince’s imagination: the female was the overbearing tyrant while the male was the one trying to flee.

“Let go of me,” the prince said.

Bian Qing grinned wolfishly and with a forceful tug; pulled the prince into her arms. She quickly wrapped an arm around his naked waist and squeezed him into her embrace.

“What are you doing!” the prince exclaimed as his face turned white.

“We’re all alone here, what do you think?” Bian Qing said as her breath quickened.

Somewhere, a flower shed one of its petal in sympathy…

Pain and pleasure,
    Both in equal measure.

9. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    “What's my name?”
    --Michelle Flaherty, 'American Pie'

Chapter 226 – Consultations

Morning.

Bian Qing woke up to a sensation of warmth and comfort, and was unused to it. Being a nun (or trying to be one) meant she had been sleeping on cold, hard surfaces. But last night, she was on a thick quilt that served as a mattress of sorts. It was a luxury item Prince Chu Feng had brought with him to the temple, a modest indulgence.

Speaking of the prince, Bian Qing turned to see him lying beside her; still asleep from their exertions last night. Fortunately, the prince was lying on his side so that she could see his sleeping face. The square-jawed, prideful young man looked so innocent and defenceless at this point of time.

Seeing his face reminded how she had overpowered him last night. Oh, he had put up a brave fight, but using the techniques that Qiong Ying had taught her, Bian Qing easily melted through his guard.

A flush of red crept up her face as she remembered what she had done. It was almost like a drunken stupor, and she could hardly believe her own recklessness.

But Qiong Ying was right: it was easy after using the perfume. Once she had lathered it on herself, it was almost as if she was drunk. Armed with this ‘liquid courage’, she embraced the prince and boldly took the lead.

She had heard that the first time would be painful, yet she could only remember the waves of pleasure as she dominated the prince. Chu Feng who saw the helplessness of the situation allowed himself to drown in the sensations. By the end, he had thoroughly surrendered himself and no longer fought back against her ministrations.

A sudden worry occurred to Bian Qing. She had completely used up the bottle of perfume the previous night. How was she going to keep the prince enthralled without it? The fear of rejection was real.

The giant woman quietly left the bed, only pausing to smile wryly at the prince’s torn pants on the floor. She gave the sleeping prince a final glance before leaving.

Once she was gone, the prince’s eyes fluttered open…

“I would ask how it went, but seeing the glow in your face meant everything was fine?” Qiong Ying teased.

Bian Qing blushed furiously. “I did what you say and pushed him down,” she managed to say.

Qiong Ying arched a charming eyebrow. “Then why are you here so early? Shouldn’t you be cuddling with him in bed?”

Lines of worry surfaced on the giant woman’s forehead. “I need more of the perfume, I have used it all up.”

“All of it? You’re supposed to dab just a few drops!”

“I have never used perfume before,” Bian Qing said defensively.

Qiong Ying shook her head. It was fortunate that Bian Qing was so large. A smaller person would be completely incapacitated by such copious amounts of the enticing aroma.

“You are afraid that he would avoid you from now on?” she asked.

Bian Qing sighed and nodded.

Qiong Ying smiled. “You are going about this the wrong way. You may have overpowered the prince last night, but the worst thing you can do now is to smother him. Rather, you should act cold and aloof towards him.”

“Why?” Bian Qing was truly puzzled.

“Seeing the prince’s proud disposition, he would be furious at being taken advantage of. He might think your future approach would be insulting. Therefore you should keep him off-balanced by leaving him alone. Let him stew for awhile, eventually he would turn impatient and seek you out himself to clarify matters.”

“Oooh,” Bian Qing cooed with awe.

“Besides, you would need some time to recover. Are you… alright? Do you need some medicine?” Qiong Ying asked with concern, pointedly looking at the bigger woman’s pelvis.

“What are you looking at?” Bian Qing demanded.

Qiong Ying blinked.

“Do you not need to rest?”

“ I am perfectly fine!”

Qiong Ying goggled at her. “Tell me exactly what happened last night.”

Bian Qing was intimidated by the fiery look in her eyes, began to back off warily.

“Where do you think you’re going?” another voice stopped her from behind.

Bian Qing spun on her feet to see that it was Sunli. The guest instructor too had eyes full of inquisitive eagerness.

Surrounded by both Qiong Ying and Sunli, Bian Qing could not retreat…

Prince Chu Xiong yawned widely as he left his room. In the past, it would be inconceivable for him to be awake so early. But after being taught and reformed by Huang Ming, the prince had made it a habit to start the day early with some light exercise.

The exercise had proved immensely beneficial in improving his health. It also allowed him to indulge in the drink every now and then without suffering a hangover the next day, which was a pleasant surprise.

And so Prince Chu Xiong would keep to the routine on his own initiative, even in this remote temple. Besides, the morning mountain air was refreshing.

His mood was dampened somewhat when he saw his brother Chu Feng in the courtyard. They were rivals for the throne, but Chu Xiong thought it was no reason to be uncivil.

“Good morning, royal brother,” he greeted cheerily.

Shockingly, Chu Feng actually responded.

“Morning,” the princely brother responded stiffly. He was standing straight with his legs spread slightly apart, hands behind his back like a lofty martial arts on the peak of a mountain.

Several moments of silence followed before Chu Xiong realized that his brother was not leaving the courtyard. Chu Xiong was uncomfortable and loathed to exercise in the presence of his physically superior brother.

“Is there something wrong, brother?” Chu Xiong finally asked.

“Nothing’s wrong!” Chu Feng snarled as he whirled around violently.

The sudden vehemence was out of nowhere and startled Chu Xiong. Yet, the sudden movement seemed to have aggravated something, for Chu Feng hissed in pain.

“Are you alright?” Chu Xiong asked hesitantly.

Chu Feng gritted his teeth and covered his eyes in pain.

“I need… some advice,” he hissed.

Chu Xiong blinked. “Pardon?” he asked, genuinely wondering if he was mistaken.

“I said I need some advice!” Chu Feng said with clenched fist.

“Oh. Er… I see…,” Chu Xiong mumbled, thoroughly stupefied. “Well… let’s sit down and talk then.”

Chu Feng winced. “I prefer to stand,” he growled.

“Ah… I see. Erm… well, what do you want to ask about?”

Another pregnant pause passed before his brother opened his mouth once more.

“You have a lot of experience with women,” he stated.

“Yes?” Chu Xiong admitted without shame, still puzzled by his brother’s behaviour.

“Have you… done everything?”

“What the hell does that mean?” Chu Xiong rolled his eyes. “I can’t believe this. We’re finally having a civil chat and you’re asking about such things. If it’s that sort of question, then just get someone to find you a manual. I recommend the Yindu Treatise, you can learn the 64 positions yourself!”

He stood to leave in a huff.

“Stop… wait!” Chu Feng called out.

“What now?”

“Does that manual have… have…”

Chu Xiong’s eyes were as round as saucers as he stared at his brother’s reddening face. His proud, powerful brother was actually shy!

“Have what?” he asked, still shocked that his brother was showing a sign of weakness.

Chu Feng mumbled in a voice so low that it was impossible to make out.

“What? You have to speak up!” Chu Xiong exclaimed in exasperation.

“Does the manual have anything about being the receiver?” Chu Feng squeaked.

Role reversal,
    Most controversial.

10. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    Late due to wedding dinner. Ah, nothing like going to be questioned "when is your turn?" over and over...

Also, Happy Diwali.

---

“What you have to understand is, four days ago he was only my brother in name. And this morning we had pancakes.”
    --Charlie Babbitt, 'Rain Man'

Chapter 227 – Reconciled

Chu Xiong could not believe it.

He stared at his princely brother, his mouth agog. Chu Feng on the other hand was as red as a ripe fruit, hands clenched in desperate embarrassment.

“You… ah… eh…” Chu Xiong stuttered as the implication sunk in. His brother, the direct rival for the throne; had all but admitted to having his chrysanthemum deflowered!

In another time, he would have immediately ridiculed his brother. Where would he find another opportunity to see his brother is such precarious vulnerability?

Between the royal siblings there were only ill-feeling. At first it was verbal jabs and condescension, later; it evolved to suspicion and political intrigue. Chu Xiong was lazy and frivolous; Chu Feng was overbearing and the bully. They were natural opposites.

Yet, seeing his strapped and warlike brother standing before him visibly shaken and in distress evoked an unfamiliar feeling of sympathy. What was it that Huang Ming had said to him?

“You eat, drink and sleep all day, how popular are you going to be?”

He had never even thought of getting to know his royal sibling, how close are they going to be?

“Are… are you alright? What happened?” he asked.

The look of genuine concern on his face was convincingly truthful, because a flood of relief washed over Chu Feng. The prince visibly trembled, for he had no confidant of his own to share his personal worries with.

His entire life he grew up willful and inclined towards the warrior arts, because that was one area he knew his mother had no control over. His royal father was obviously pleased with a well-built, powerful son and so encouraged his martial pursuits, much to his mother’s annoyance.

However, it meant he outranked everyone else in the army, while his maids and servants were his mother’s creatures. There were no friends, there were only instructors. There were no peers, there were only subordinates. Even the bedwarmers were picked by his mother.

Prince Chu Feng was quite the lonely man.

Perhaps that was why he found such comfort when he finally fell asleep in Bian Qing’s arms that night, enveloped by her warm embrace.

Chu Feng’s eyes reddened when he saw Chu Xiong’s worried look. He knew admitting what had happened would open himself to ridicule. But one could easily discern how desperate he was for someone to talk to, that he had to resort to seek his brother Chu Xiong even though they are direct rivals for the throne. There was simply no one else for him to turn to.

Besides, it was a private conversation. Even if Chu Xiong was to spread news of this, it could be brushed off as mere slander.

Thus when Chu Xiong asked, it was easy for Chu Feng to open his mouth and poured his heart out.

When it was all said and done, Chu Xiong shook his head. Half in stunned wonder, half in awe. He had listened with a slack jaw as Bian Qing’s skill was described. How frightened he had been, how Bian Qing’s rough ministrations became gentle through the night…

Was it his imagination or was Chu Feng actually bragging?

“So… what do you plan to do now? Take revenge on her?” Chu Xiong ventured to ask at the end.

Chu Feng sighed. “I have see anyone like her. I do not think I could ever defeat her,” he confessed.

Chu Xiong saw his brother had visibly matured overnight. The clichés might say a man would age overnight after such an ordeal, but judging from Chu Feng’s outlook; it seemed he found relief instead. Despite the dubious nature of the relief, Chu Feng seemed more laid back than before. Except for the occasional wincing as he gingerly adjusted his seating, of course.

“Well, not to make fun of you or anything, but I have not partook in such an, er, experience,” Chu Xiong said without malice. “But it shouldn’t be too worrying. I mean, there are people who, er; enjoy it. Like our Third Uncle.”

Chu Feng’s eyes boggled. “Third Uncle? Duke He?” he exclaimed in disbelief.

“You mean you don’t know?” Chu Xiong returned.

“But he swings his great axe like it’s made of paper! He can kill a wild boar with his bare hands! And he commands the dreaded Blue Legion!”

“That’s not the only thing blue about him, if you know what I mean,” Chu Xiong said. “Ever notice how his aide-de-camp follows him wherever he goes?”

Chu Feng’s brows crinkled in thought as he tried to recall the person. Then his eyes widened.

“That guy!?”

Chu Xiong nodded. “Yes… only, that is not a ‘guy’ at all.”

“What!? His second in command is a woman!?”

Chu Xiong raised an eyebrow. “Why is that so strange? You have seen first hand how a woman can be more than a match for a man.

“Well, yes…” Chu Feng admitted.

“They say that she has him under her heel. Literally. Why else do you think our royal father had him posted outside of the capital? Our father respects Duke He, but he does not like the woman giving him orders from the bedroom.”

Chu Feng eyed his brother suspiciously. “And how do you know all this?”

“Oh please. How do you not know? Oh, that’s right. You spend your time away clearing bandits and pirates. When was the last time you actually attended a family banquet? You never stayed on for the full course.”

“They are very boring,” Chu Feng said defensively.

“I know, which is why I end up roaring drunk most of the time,” Chu Xiong said. “But loose lips sink ships, and I get to hear a lot of juicy stuff. For instance, do you know that some of our cousins think that you actually prefer men, since you stay with the army most of the time?”

Chu Feng was enraged. “What? Who said that! I’ll kill them!”

“I never believed them,” Chu Xiong said quickly. “Besides, it’s all just idle gossip.”

“I absolutely do not prefer men,” Chu Feng emphasized with a snarl.

“Of course, of course,” his brother placated. “But back to your original query. I think you should be fine. From what you said, she used plenty of, er, lubrication. You’re not bleeding, are you?”

“What? No!” Chu Feng said in shock. Then he lowered his voice: “I thought only women would bleed.”

Chu Xiong too lowered his voice. “Well, I am not too sure myself but I think anything violent going up there is going to tear something.”

“She was not violent,” Chu Feng insisted. “I’m just… not used to such a thing.”

“Well, as long as it is done consensually and not harm others, I don’t see why it should be a big deal,” Chu Xiong shrugged.

Chu Feng blinked, and it was as if he had truly seen his brother in a new light.

“I never wanted to fight for the throne,” he muttered.

“Neither did I,” Chu Xiong said softly.

“I just wanted to command a great army and to be a hero of the ages; to leave my name in the annals of history,” Chu Feng said.

“And I just want to stay in bed all day, drinking and sleeping,” Chu Xiong replied.

The two brothers looked at each other and chuckled at the irony of it all.

“What’s so funny?” Huang Ming asked, causing the two royal siblings to turn like startled deer.

Huang Ming had just arrived at the courtyard and to see the two deadly contenders to be the next King of Chu sharing a laugh together was incongruous, to say the least.

His arrival quickly sobered up Chu Feng., The prince eyed his brother worriedly; wondering if he would betray him.

“None of your business,” Chu Xiong said airily. “We are just having a chat.”

“A chat, you say,” Huang Ming repeated as he looked at their faces. There was no deceit nor scheme to be seen.

“We are brothers after all, is it so strange?” Chu Xiong demanded.

“Not at all, that is how brothers should be,” Huang Ming smiled faintly, recalling how he himself had repaired relations with Huang Lang and Huang Ke.

“Now leave us, we brothers have some things to discuss,” Chu Xiong ordered.

“As you command,” Huang Ming replied and even bowed.

As he withdrew, he gave the brothers one last look.

They really were having a chat.

It might be stretching it,
    But their quarrel might quit.

11. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    What a completely miserable week. I became a mucus factory. Absolutely disgusting and miserable.

---

“Speak of Cao Cao and Cao Cao arrives.”
    --Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Chapter 228 – Common Foe

Despite his enormous curiosity, Huang Ming really left the two brothers alone. There was little danger to Chu Xiong, the rest of the courtyard was waking up and surely the curious nuns would not resist the opportunity to spy on the picturesque scene of two princes chatting amicably amidst the beautiful temple backdrop.

Still, the two brothers reconciling may force a change in their planning. He have to wring out the truth of the matter from Prince Chu Xiong later: the last thing he wanted was for the princes to come to some sort of agreement that would place Chu Feng on the throne. Such an outcome while pleasant would render all his efforts to naught and would cause potential problems to his kingdom of Wu in the future…

But Huang Ming did not have too much time to dwell on the matter. As he rounded the corner, he came across yet another strange sight.

He saw Qiong Ying and Sunli deep in discussion. Qiong Ying was still wearing the black clothes of a widow in mourning, contrasting against her pale, white skin. On the other hand, Sunli wore the martial white robes of the temple, with her bronzed and tanned skin was the direct polar opposite. The two women, one delicate and feminine, the other strong and martial; had their heads bowed towards each other as they exchanged words.

For a brief moment Huang Ming was mesmerized by the sight. The two women were so close and so rapt in their discussion that their foreheads were almost touching. Their gentle demeanour, framed by rays of the morning sun formed a harmonious and beautiful image.

As if on cue, the two women noticed his presence. Much to his consternation, they each gave him a knowing smirk and continued their discussion.

Huang Ming was horrified: what were they discussing? Their smiles were evil portents and for some reason, his hackles raised in fear.

Unused to this sort of treatment, Huang Ming stood there and blinked. Then he mustered his dignity and approached the two women and put on his most oily look as some sort of veneer to hide his apprehension.

“Hello, ladies,” he greeted casually.

Sunli nodded politely in acknowledgement, while Qiong Ying merely smiled.

“So… what are you ladies talking about?” he forged on.

The two women shared another knowing glance before chuckling quietly.

“Oh, we’re just discussing some…close combat tactics,” Qiong Ying answered.

Huang Ming raised an eyebrow. “Really?” he asked dubiously.

His concern deepened when he saw Sunli actually blushed, her tanned skin unable to hide the flush in her cheeks.

“Of course,” Qiong Ying insisted. “Sunli here for example is quite aggressive in her methods. I was giving my ideas on… a softer approach.”

“Enough,” Sunli growled.

“If it’s close combat then I’m an expert. I did defeat you before,” Huang Ming reminded her with a triumphant smile.

He expected the Amazon to explode with anger then, but to his surprise she merely glowered at him. Then her brows curved as she smiled coldly.

“Yes, I remember,” she said with a tone that suggested all sorts of payback later.

“Don’t worry, just do what I say,” Qiong Ying advised her. “It worked for Bian Qing, it will work for you.”

“I am not sure I would go that far,” Sunli replied.

“What did you mean by Bian Qing?” Huang Ming interrupted.

“Let’s just say that she tamed Prince Chu Feng,” Qiong Ying told him.

“Oh, so that’s what happened,” Huang Ming muttered. “I just saw the two princes… chatting. All friendly and brotherly-like.”

Qiong Ying frowned. “Well, maybe it worked out too well,” she conceded. “Does this change our plans? What if the two brothers work out an agreement by themselves?”

“You voiced my very fears,” Huang Ming nodded. “We might need to do something to ensure that Chu Xiong comes out on top. You said Bian Qing had ‘tamed’ Chu Feng? Does that mean she can tell him what to do?”

“She has established her dominance, but I am not sure she can make him give up the throne,” Qiong Ying admitted.

Huang Ming rubbed his chin in thought. “That’s not good enough.”

“Is it so bad for the brothers to reconcile?” Sunli wondered aloud.

“We’re here because we want the next King of Chu to be a friendly power to our kingdom,” he reminded her.

“But if you interfere so blatantly, would not that incur ill-will from whoever becomes the next king? What if they bear a grudge because you have ruined their relationship?”

“What relationship?” Huang Ming insisted. “Before today they were like cats and dogs, and their mothers are scheming to kill each other.”

“That is true, but it is still a pity,” Qiong Ying sighed.

“I have brothers of my own. I do not enjoy this,” Huang Ming continued. “Ideally, a third force that forces the two brothers to work together and compromise would be the best scenario.”

“You mean, for the princes to unite against a common foe?” Sunli asked.

Huang Ming nodded.

“But that does not solve the underlying problem at all. What happens after that enemy is defeated? We would be back to the question of which brother would prevail at the end.”

“Of course, with us on his side, we can ensure Prince Chu Xiong gain the most merit,” Huang Ming said confidently. “As long as Chu Xiong is seen to have acted the quickest and most decisive, he would be named as the crown prince.”

“This line of discussion is pointless. Where are you going to conjure up a third force? You are not that lucky,” Qiong Ying pointed out.

Just then, one of the temple nuns rushed towards them.

“Sir Huang, Sir Huang!” she called out breathlessly.

“What is it?” Huang Ming asked as he handed her a handkerchief to wipe her sweat. The small gesture, innocent as it was; caused Qiong Ying and Sunli to frown.

“Sir, you must advise the princes to flee!”

The trio were stunned. “Flee? From what?” Huang Ming demanded.

“We just received word that Duke He has rebelled! He is marching towards the capital!”

Qiong Ying gazed at Huang Ming in amazement.

“You do have all the luck,” she commented.

The third force,
    Adjusted their course.

12. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    Whoops, completely forgot.

---

“Who Dares, Wins.”
    --motto of the British Special Air Service

Chapter 229 – Go

Huang Ming immediately convened a meeting with the royal siblings. The two princes were in disbelief when they were informed of their uncle’s rebellion.

Hearing the news was like a bolt of the blue: they were just sharing gossip about the very same uncle a few mere minutes ago.

“How reliable is this news?” Chu Xiong asked sharply.

“We have already sent some people down the mountain to confirm, but the nuns have no reason to lie,” Huang Ming said. “It is said that Duke He is in control of the palace and taken charge of government affairs while your father is ill. It is said that preparations are already underway for Duke He to take charge as regent while you two are… ‘maturing’.”

“Ridiculous!” Chu Feng thundered.

“It seems that Duke He took advantage of the fact that your father sent you two here to this temple. There are stories that both of you have displeased the king and therefore the Duke was summoned for counsel,” Huang Ming said wryly.

There was nothing more irritating than having the fruits of one’s own labour be reaped by someone else who was not even in the picture. He had made an opportunity for the royal brothers to face off against each other in a more favourable condition for Chu Xiong… only for this random Duke to swoop in and seize the chance in their absence.

“But Duke He has always been loyal to our royal father. They fought in countless battles together!” Chu Feng said.

“People change, either because of circumstances or influenced by others,” Huang Ming replied casually.

Chu Feng stiffened as he understood the meaning behind his words.

“This is all too coincidental,” he grumbled for the sake of grumbling.

“What is your advice?” Chu Xiong asked, directing his question towards Huang Ming.

Huang Ming held up two fingers. “That depends. Do you want the fastest option, or the slowest?”

“What are they?”

“The slowest option is for you two to find the loyalists and establish your power base. From there you will gather an army and then march towards the capital steadily, pacifying the people along the way and announce your rightful claims to the throne.”

“That would take too long,” Chu Xiong said. “What is the alternative?”

Huang Ming laughed. “The fastest option is to immediately head to the capital now and hope to get help of the city population against the Duke.”

“How reckless,” Chu Feng snorted.

“I thought that you would prefer this method, seeing how you are a man of action,” Huang Ming said with a smile.

“I am brave, not suicidal,” Chu Feng fired back. “Are these two the only options?”

“I pick the fastest option,” Chu Xiong said decisively.

“Are you insane?” his brother protested.

Chu Xiong sighed. “Listen, you can take your time and recruit people to your cause because you are famous and the people know of your merits. But I have nothing. For me to slowly gather a force would be like watering a barren field and then praying for it to sprout.”

Chu Feng closed his mouth, not knowing how to respond to his brother’s blunt honesty.

“But more importantly, I am worried about our royal father, and my mother,” Chu Xiong continued. “We should act quickly to rescue them.”

Chu Feng scowled. “And you think I am not? I just think we need a better plan.”

“There are two of us anyway. I can go while you use the second method,” Chu Xiong insisted.

“And allow you to take all the glory while I be painted as a coward?”

“Who said I am on my own?” Chu Xiong said as he looked meaningfully at Huang Ming.

“I am flattered that you think that highly of me,” Huang Ming said dryly.

“Well, I am coming with you. Let no one say that I stayed behind while his brother went off on a life-risking mission,” Chu Feng declared.

Chu Xiong was about to refuse him when a newcomer interrupted him.

“I am going too!” Bian Qing said as she joined the discussion. “Such a fun thing, how could you leave me out?”

“You?” Chu Feng asked incredulously.

Bian Qing arched an eyebrow challengingly at him. “What, you got a problem with that?”

“Er, no,” Chu Feng answered quickly. “But this is no game, and not a sparring session! You might actually lose your life!”

“So what? I am all alone in this world anyway,” Bian Qing scoffed. “Let’s get moving, my hands are itchy already!”

Chu Feng could not believe his ears. He stared at the powerful woman, speechless and not sure on what to feel as she quickly hollered for her warrior sisters to group up.

Of course, the safest thing for him to do was to really take Huang Ming’s slow method. Being a military leader of some repute, he could rally the surrounding areas and cobble together an army to stand against Duke He.

To allow his feckless brother Chu Xiong to venture on his own on a life-risking mission was an attractive idea. There was a large chance that his rival for the throne would die, leaving the throne empty for him to take. But the question of time remained: what good was the throne if the rest of the country was in flames due to unrest?

Even if the city defenders immediately lay down their arms and throw open the gates when he showed his face, anything could happen between now and then. The royal family could have been executed by the time he reached the capital.

Furthermore, it was not guaranteed that Chu Xiong would fail. With Huang Ming and Bian Qing aiding him, his brother could very well succeed in a daring attempt to rescue the royal family. Besides, there was also a chance that they would encounter no resistance once Chu Xiong revealed himself, which was just as likely as in the earlier scenario.

In short, it was a gamble for Chu Feng. To take the safer path would ensure his safety and success, albeit at a high price. Chu Xiong could succeed but it was unlikely… and even then Chu Feng felt that their brief reconciliation meant no harm would come to him and to his mother Concubine Yang if indeed Chu Xiong became the next king.

“Why are ya standin’ there like a fool? Come with me!” Bian Qing demanded with her hands on her hips.

Something in Chu Feng tweaked.

Why did he pursue a life of martial prowess? Because he wanted to emulate the great war heroes of yore, to be the stuff of legends for historians to record and storytellers to sing. Did he not admire the likes of Ran Wei who acted decisively and cleaved those who stood in his path?

His weakling brother dared to take a chance. Who was with him? A dandy scholar and some nuns!

Where would he bury his head later in the future if he allowed this moment to pass without his participation?

He smiled. It wasn’t arrogance that he had felt. But the sort of bravado back when he entered the military; heedless of his mother’s caution and the minders that were assigned to him.

And the way Bian Qing called out to him…

She wanted him with her.

The brothers decided,
    Not to be divided.

shin chan and Eternalce1 like this.
  13. shin chan

shin chan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Will you end this story with this world with HM ascending in the end or send him to another world after this and if you would any chance you'll send him into something like got
    Anyway love your story still now thanks for not abandoning it

14. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    It is possible, but it's quite far off yet.

Thank you for reading!

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  15. shin chan

shin chan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Could you also write about what's happening at home while HM is away like what his family are doing or what steps the king or the general are taking cause i mean they won't be just waiting for HM to come back . Plus i think it creates a little suspense of will he get to know what's happening back home will he rush back...
    Thanks for writing a great story

16. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    This was supposed to be cut but in the end I thought it was a shame to do so.

--

“Hey there, kitty. Girls like this, right?”
    --Seishū Handa, ‘Handa-kun’

Chapter 230 – Locked

Altogether there were little more than 30 souls that went down the mountain and headed towards the capital. It was a motley collection comprising of the Chu Princes Xiong and Feng, Huang Ming, Qiong Ying, Zhao Sunli, Bian Qing, some of the warrior nuns and a retinue of their trusted guards that had been waiting below the mountain.

The vast entourage that had accompanied the two princes to the temple had long dispersed. They were only to assemble to escort them on the return journey on a set date which was still far off.

The few personal bodyguards the two princes had dwindled further after they were ordered to send letters to various lords and governors of the kingdom, intending to rally their support.

But as planned, the two princes did not wait for the nobles to heed the call. Instead, they rode quickly but discreetly towards the capital.

They could have arrived much faster if not for the need to rest the horses… and the need for the two princes to ‘stretch their legs’.

It did not take long for Huang Ming to deduce that Chu Xiong was covering for his brother. The martial and powerful Chu Feng sweated heavily and was ill at ease while on horseback, forcing them to ride at a slower pace. Such was his discomfort that he did not question the need for the ‘widow’ Qiong Ying to accompany them.

At first Huang Ming thought that the prince was trying to sabotage the journey for some reason. His condition was so bad that the irritated Bian Qing wrapped a beefy arm around the weakened prince’s waist and pulled him over to her own horse. Much to the prince’s embarrassment, he was forced to sit in front of her; as if he was a complete novice.

Of course, he tried to protest but a glare from Bian Qing ended any potential argument. Besides, it was actually quite comfortable, seeing how the powerful woman had the foresight to drape a fur blanket over the saddle.

“What the hell is going on with the prince? Is he ill?” Huang Ming muttered. The complaint caused his two women to snicker, but when questioned they shied away from answering him.

“This is no time to be coy,” he said. “We are pressed for time and the prince’s mysterious condition is slowing us down.”

“Be charitable,” Qiong Ying admonished. “He is truly indisposed.”

“So you know what happened?”

“Of course,” she answered smugly, while Sunli turned her head away to avoid Huang Ming’s stare.

“Well?” Huang Ming demanded.

“It is not our place to say,” Qiong Ying said, all prim and proper-like.

And so Huang Ming did not press the issue. He allowed all the stops the princes wanted along the way to the capital. It meant a slight delay of a few days, but it also allowed them to send scouts ahead to gather news of the capital.

One night they camped some distance away from the main road. It was Bian Qing and Chu Feng’s turn to patrol.

The prince could have avoided this duty, but he did not object. Despite their recent close proximity, Bian Qing and Chu Feng had hardly exchanged words. There was a tense atmosphere between them and nobody in the group dared to gossip about it. Other than Sunli and Qiong Ying, everyone else assumed that the prince was still smarting from being bested in their duels.

The two found themselves walking the perimeter of the camp side in silence.

Eventually the prince could not bear the silence any longer.

“Hey,” he grunted.

The rough tone immediately annoyed Bian Qing, and the red-haired woman gave him a cold look before snarling back.

“What?”

“We need to talk,” the prince said slowly.

“What is there to talk about?” Bian Qing replied brusquely, looking everywhere else but at his face.

“What do you think?” the prince demanded.

Bian Qing’s face remained impassive, but inside she was marvelling at Qiong Ying’s foresight. As she had predicted, the prince would make the first attempt to settle matters.

Bian Qing folded her arms and stood before him with her feet apart.

“Speak, then,” she said imperiously.

A part of Chu Feng bristled at her rude impertinence. But in the night, seeing this warrior woman posing so confidently in the moonlight caused him to pause and gulp.

“Well?” Bian Qing prompted.

Having lost the initiative, the prince became flustered. “What sort of woman are you?” he blurted out.

Bian Qing’s eyes narrowed. Her arm suddenly shot out, her hand immediately grabbing a hold on the prince. In one swift motion, she pulled him close and spun him around so that his back was to a tree. Before the prince could even react, Bian Qing cornered him by slapping both her hands on the tree.

She leaned in close so that one could see one’s self mirrored in the eyes of the other.

“Why are you so hot and bothered? I thought men are more casual about such things. What sort of a man are you?” she leered down at him.

They were so close that they could feel the other’s breath.

Stung by her domineering action, Prince Chu Feng glared up at the tall woman. He was entirely hemmed in, stuck between her muscular arms.

He could smell her scent, and his nostrils instinctively flared.

It provoked a self conscious reaction from Bian Qing. When she saw his nose move, it reminded her that they have been riding for several days. Suddenly shy, she drew back half a step.

It was Chu Feng’s turn to grab hold of her. It was his first time to see her reveal a moment of weakness and his instinct kicked in. In a bold, sudden move his arms reached up and past her head. His fingers linked behind her and sunk into her hair.

She did not really resist when he pulled her down to him.

After all, this was what Qiong Ying had predicted for her.

Over him did she tower,
    Yet, she was overpowered.

shin chan likes this.
  17. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    Woops, missed this post.

Yeah, all that is in the works. Unfortunately the hectic work schedule really messed up my flow.

18. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    “Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black.”
    --Henry Ford

Chapter 231 – Funneled

The rest of the journey back to the Chu capital was uneventful. Avoiding the main thoroughfares and travelling in small groups, they easily passed the city gates. Huang Ming and the princes were astonished at the ease of entry; they had expected security to be tighter due to the coup.

Yet, the city population was at ease and the checks were routine. There was no air of uncertainty, it was as if everything was perfectly normal. They were even able to secure rooms in an inn as a temporary gathering place.

“The Duke must have planned this for a very long time for everything to go so smoothly,” Chu Feng noted.

“That meathead? I doubt it. More likely it is his capable adjutant that is pouring ‘helpful advice’ into his ears,” Chu Xiong said.

Huang Ming was suspicious too, but there was not much evidence to support his theories and so he held his tongue as the two brothers exchanged thoughts.

“From what news I can gather, Duke He is in command of the Imperial Guard. He has not actually taken the throne nor proclaim himself as regent yet,” Sunli said. “It seems that everything is as it should be.”

“It is as if there is no power grab at all,” Huang Ming remarked.

“Duke He is cautious, which is completely out of character,” Chu Xiong shrugged. “Another sign that someone is pulling his strings.”

“Yes, someone,” Huang Ming smiled faintly. “I suppose it will all be revealed soon enough. What do you plan to do?”

“Well, I plan to sneak into the palace and get our royal father out,” Chu Xiong emphasized, clearly wanting Huang Ming to offer an alternative plan.

“And how are you going to enter the palace?” Huang Ming asked instead.

“There are a few secret areas that are only known to us royal members. Not even the palace eunuchs know of them,” Chu Feng replied.

“If that is the case, why haven’t your royal parents use those secret areas to escape?” Huang Ming asked conversationally.

“Maybe they could not find the opportunity. Maybe they are being watched,” Chu Feng answered testily.

“If they are being watched, how do you plan to get them out?” Huang Ming continued to smile, as if deriving some sort of pleasure in foiling their hopes and dreams.

“We can cause a diversion to draw the guards away,” Chu Feng insisted. “Fortunately, we have Bian Qing’s martial sisters with us. They can cause multiple disturbances in the city while we sneak in.”

“Aye, that we can do,” Bian Qing agreed heartily, relishing the opportunity to cause trouble.

Huang Ming smirked knowingly at Chu Feng, and the prince reddened. His countenance towards women in general had changed tremendously in such a short period of time, and the cause of it was obvious.

Chu Xiong coughed discreetly to help his flustered brother.

“After we have rescued our royal father, what then?” he asked.

“What do you think?” Huang Ming returned.

Chu Xiong frowned, displeased that Huang Ming was clearly intending to be hands off.

“Are you not going to share your nuggets of wisdom?” he said sarcastically. “We are here right now because of you.”

“Because of me?” Huang Ming echoed. “I only gave the options, you were the ones that decided.”

Chu Xiong stared at him. “Are you going to make me beg?” he demanded.

“Don’t be silly. I just want to know what your future plans are.”

“Why don’t you save us the time and just give us the options? You obviously have something in mind,” Chu Feng snorted.

Huang Ming laughed. Qiong Ying helpfully passed him a fan which he unfolded with a quick motion.

“Once you rescue the king, you can immediately wheel him out for the world to see. There is a chance that the Imperial Guard will rally to join you when they see the king with you,” Huang Ming said leisurely.

The two princes reacted badly to the proposal.

“Are you insane?” Chu Feng barked.

“Ah, but you are a military officer of some repute. Surely you can sway them to your side.”

“I have no ties to the Imperial Guard!” Chu Feng growled.

“Oh, so you mean you are not confident enough to cow them with your might and majesty?” Huang Ming arched an eyebrow.

“Yes!” Chu Feng admitted unwillingly.

“Not quite the war hero you think you are, eh?”

His brother Chu Xiong hastened to interrupt. “Besides, our uncle would have placed his men in key positions within the guard. It is more likely that we would not be given the chance to sway the men.”

“Now you’re thinking,” Huang Ming nodded.

“What is the alternative?” Chu Xiong asked.

“You get in, grab your father and slip back out of the city. Rally your loyal subjects and prepare for a war against your uncle.”

“That… seems exactly what anyone in their right mind should do,” Chu Xiong conceded.

“Is it?” Huang Ming challenged.

Chu Xiong frowned. “Of course. The Imperial Guard’s loyalty is uncertain and our father is ill. We can hardly gamble everything on the good will of the guards.”

Huang Ming smiled approvingly. “That is right. You should not risk everything when it comes to the people that you cherish.”

Chu Feng scowled. “That sounds so sappy,” he grunted.

“You should know, seeing how you are now an expert on matters of love,” Huang Ming remarked airily.

Chu Feng was so flustered that he instinctively turned to look at Bian Qing. Their eyes met and even though they quickly broke contact, their red faces betrayed their worst kept secret.

“You two should spend what time is left together, who knows if you will ever get the chance later,” Huang Ming suggested.

Chu Feng opened his mouth to refute him… yet he realized that the warning was very real. He clamped his mouth shut resolutely and in plain view of everyone, grabbed Bian Qing’s hand and dragged the stunned woman out of the room.

Sunli and Qiong Ying shared knowing smiles.

“This is no time to be teasing my brother,” Chu Xiong said.

“Sorry, could not resist,” Huang Ming shrugged apologetically. “There really isn’t any other choice, the risks are too great.”

‘There is one more possibility but…’ Huang Ming thought privately.

“Then why did you even suggest something untenable?” Chu Xiong demanded.

“Because you needed to come to the conclusion yourself.”

Huang Ming snapped his fan shut.

“When this is over, I will be returning back to Wu. I cannot be giving you solutions all the time, you will need to start thinking for yourselves,” Huang Ming said solemnly.

“I thought your goal is to secure an alliance. An alliance, which is not a certainty yet,” Chu Xiong reminded him.

“If one or all of you, your brother or your father survive this ordeal, the very fact that I was with you would be enough to secure some modicum of good will. At the very least, you would be busy in ensuring there would be no others that would emulate Duke He.”

“And what if this venture fails?”

Huang Ming spread his hands in a what-can-you-do gesture.

“Then your country will be in so much turmoil that it would not pose a threat to my country.”

“How very convenient for you,” Chu Xiong said coldly.

“The people of Wu are in peril too,” Huang Ming said, not shying away from the young prince’s stare.

“If you are to be king, you will need to learn and consider such weighty matters too.”

Before they went down,
    He was taught the weight of the crown.

19. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    The cough has spread to the rest of the family. I feel responsible.

---

“Finger lickin’ good.”
    --Kentucky Fried Chicken

Chapter 232 – Unexpected

Once night has fallen and the streets became quiet, the group slipped out of the inn. The two princes led them to a discreet part of the palace walls. Bian Qing’s warrior nuns were dispersed around the city, ready to cause diversions at an agreed hour to cover their escape.

“This is a dead end,” Bian Qing stated the obvious.

“Patience,” Chu Feng admonished smugly, revelling in the opportunity to show off.

“This isn’t one of those ‘push a brick and open a door’ type of entrances, is it?” Huang Ming asked even as Chu Feng was raising a palm to touch the wall.

Chu Feng froze, the wind having been taken out of his sails. His hand was still hovering a few inches from the wall as he stared at Huang Ming with a mixture of disbelief at having his thunder stolen.

His brother Chu Xiong sighed and reached past him to push the brick. There was the sound of stone moving on stone and a section of the wall shifted to reveal a gap.

“How did you know?” Bian Qing asked Huang Ming, her eyes wide with wonder.

“I’ve done my share of tomb raiding,” Huang Ming said nonchalantly.

“You have?” Qiong Ying asked.

“What are you even doing here?” Chu Feng scowled at the ‘widow’.

“We can talk when this over, let’s get a move on,” Huang Ming hushed.

Chu Feng stifled his annoyance and lead the way, go through the gardens and winding paths before reaching the inner palace.

“I expected more guards,” Sunli said.

“It is as if they do not care at all,” Huang Ming remarked airily.

“This makes no sense at all,” Chu Xiong said.

“Sure it does. I can think of a few reasons why.”

“Like what?” the prince demanded.

Huang Ming spread his palms apologetically. “It is possible that the king is already dead, and hence there is no need for security.”

The two princes were aghast.

“How dare you joke around like that!” Chu Feng hissed.

“Who said I was joking? It is only a possibility,” Huang Ming replied.

“That is in very poor taste,” Chu Xiong said coldly. His discontent had grown ever since Huang Ming’s cavalier and lackadaisical attitude in the endeavour became obvious. With his admission that Huang Ming was leaving soon, Chu Xiong felt that he was losing an advisor just when he needed one the most.

However, it had little effect on Huang Ming.

“Stop sulking, let’s go check whether your royal father is still alive,” he said.

“You-!” Chu Feng started, only for Bian Qing’s bear paw clamp around his mouth.

“Quiet!” she hushed. “This is not the time or place!”

The two princes glared furiously at Huang Ming, but knew that she was right and continued to lead the group deep into the inner palace.

Even here, there was a distinct lack of security, only the sparse patrols that was easily dealt with simple ambushes and knocking them out.

The two princes grew more despondent the closer they get to the inner sanctum. None of the familiar army of attendants were present, it was as if the eunuchs and maids of the palace had been completely dismissed.

Furthermore, there was a thick air of perfumes and incense hanging in the air, so much so that it caused their eyes to water and gag at the smell.

“What the hell is going on!” Chu Feng groused as he rubbed his irritated eyes.

“I have heard of this…” Chu Xiong said slowly as he looked at Huang Ming.

Huang Ming looked back at him impassively.

His silence only made Chu Xiong more agitated. He rushed forward, almost stumbling in his haste.

“What?” Chu Feng demanded.

“There have been historical instances when such thick scents are used to disguise certain smells… like those of bodies,” Huang Ming told him calmly.

Chu Feng blinked. Then a horrifying realization dawned on him and he too broke into a run.

“They are panicking. Bian Qing, keep a lookout. The last thing we need now is for guards to make a sudden check,” Huang Ming said.

The towering woman was worried for her prince, but she nodded grimly, and stayed behind to secure their exit.

But when Huang Ming, Sunli and Qiong Ying entered the inner courtyard, they saw the two princes standing in stunned silence, their jaws had dropped open at the sight before them.

The inner courtyard of the king’s personal residence should be a palace of solemn grace, the gardens painstakingly and meticulously cared for so as to surround the sovereign with beauty and peace. It was a private place for the him to indulge in moments of quiet contemplation, away from the burdens of kingship and the political machinations of the palace. Not even the queen or his concubines were allowed in this oasis of calmness without his express invitation.

Yet at the moment, there was no such idyllic atmosphere in the king’s private resting area.

For one thing, there was a roaring spitroast in the middle of the previously pristine garden. The immaculately trimmed environs was being overwhelmed by a whole hog being roasted, its glistening skin with dripping far shining causing the fire to reflect and dance wildly on the exotic flowers and leaves.

And who was slowly turning the roast? The very King of Chu himself was on one end, while Duke He was on the other. They were taking turns to spin the hog, switching responsibilities to swig from the bottles of wine in their free hand, swapping crude comments and laughing amicably like common soldiers.

Judging from their red faces, the king and the duke had been drinking for some time.

“What the hell…” the two princes muttered, unable to fully process what they were seeing.

“Look, your prodigal sons have finally come!” the Duke exclaimed.

The king turned and waved. “About time you two got here!” he roared heartily. “Come and turn this for us!”

The two princes exchanged dumbfounded looks before shuffling forward uncertainly, still unsure of the situation and still wary of their uncle the Duke.

“See? I was right,” Huang Ming said as they watched on from a distance.

“But you said the incense is to cover the smell of bodies,” Qiong Ying said with an accusing look.

“Technically that is a carcass, but close enough,” Huang Ming said with a shrug. Indeed, it was only when they had entered the courtyard that they could smell the delicious roasting meat.

“Do you know what is going on?” Sunli asked him directly.

“If I am not mistaken, this entire thing was a ruse by the king to decide on his heir,” Huang Ming said with a smile.

Qiong Ying’s eyes narrowed.

“So you knew?” she asked.

“Of course not, I’m no prophet. I was just making deductions and assumptions from observations.”

“Then why did you not share them with us?” Sunli asked with an arched eyebrow.

“I was just guessing. I could be wrong too.”

“Well, I don’t like it,” Qiong Ying declared. “It must be fun for you to watch us worry about the worst scenarios,”

Huang Ming coughed nodded towards the princes.

“We can talk about this later, let’s go see if I am actually right.”

Qiong Ying still gave him the evil eye as he lead the way. She nudged Sunli conspiratorially.

“Look at him, all smug and pleased with himself,” she complained behind his back.

Sunli nodded in agreement. “Getting too big for his boots,” the Amazon said.

Qiong Ying nodded and smiled at Huang Ming’s back.

“Needs to be taken down a peg or two, like what Bian Qing did to her prince..”

She looked at Sunli knowingly, and if Huang Ming had turned back to look, he would have seen the dusky warrior woman blushing.

Not what they thought,
    Still, it was not for naught.

20. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    “ In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war.”
    --Warhammer 40,000

Chapter 233 – Wind of change

Huang Ming and the two women approached the campfire. The two princes of Chu were meekly turning the spitroast while Duke He and the King of Chu were toasting each other.

The two looked more like rough bandits than noblemen. Duke He was a stocky, swarthy man that reminded people of a butcher, while the King of Chu was a broad-shouldered man with a bearded square jaw and twinkling eyes. The King who had been rumoured to be deathly ill was the very picture of rude health.

Judging from their flushed faces and the empty bottles littered around them, the pair had been drinking for some time.

Huang Ming was wondering if he should bow to greet them as it might be a mood-breaker, considering the casual atmosphere.

“Ah, so this is the fellow that had been poisoning my sons to fight each other,” the King of Chu said accusingly as he peered at Huang Ming from the top of his wine bottle.

“I am sorry, Your Majesty; but they have been fighting long before I ever stepped a foot into Chu,” Huang Ming replied with a lopsided smile.

“He is right, y’know,” Duke He drawled.

The King of Chu gave him a sidelong glare and the Duke hastily avoided it by shouting at his nephews instead.

“Keep that hog movin’ or there will be hell to pay if it got burnt!”

The two princes mumbled in dissent but their complaints were covered by the crackling fire.

The king turned his attention back to Huang Ming. “Still, you are the one pushing them to fight,” he insisted.

Huang Ming shrugged. “Had I not assisted Prince Chu Xiong, it would have been a one-sided beating instead,” he said, looking pointedly at the two princes who were preoccupied with moving the roast on a steady rotation.

The king grimaced and followed his line of sight. Then he blinked. The hog on the spitroast was a magnificently sized specimen and the sovereign had not expected the wastrel Chu Xiong to be able to keep up with the martial Chu Feng.

“We have heard that you have whipped that rascal into shape, but I did not truly believe it,” the king murmured.

“He only needed some motivation, your majesty’s ‘illness’ played a big part as well,” Hung Ming said.

“Are you not going to ask what we had planned?” the king asked in a low voice.

Huang Ming tilted his head slightly. “I am guessing that all this is all a ruse? To let your sons compete and see who would rise to the occasion? Thereby you can honestly tell your Queen or the Concubine Yang that the losing son had only himself to blame?”

“Well, you’re no fun,” the king grumbled.

“Fear of death is a no laughing matter,” Huang Ming said, looking pointedly at the busy Chu Xiong.

“We wouldn’t have let it go that far,” the king said softly.

“So you say,” Huang Ming replied.

The red flush on the king’s face turned a darker shade. “Are you accusing this monarch of being casual with the lives of his princes?”

“No, but surely you can understand how others could have taken advantage of your hands-off approach.”

“Like you,” the king fired back.

“Yes,” Huang Ming admitted freely. “I am in service to my kingdom and it is in our interest that Chu be a friendly power in the future.”

“No doubt,” the king said derisively. “After your misadventure in Wei and antagonizing Jin, you Wu curs need all the help you can get.”

“I’d say we’re still doing pretty well,” Huang Ming replied.

“For now,” the king interjected.

“For now,” Huang Ming agreed. “Still, things can change drastically in the near future; and that is why we are seeking an alliance with your kingdom of Chu.”

The king looked at him dubiously. “For someone seeking an alliance, you are painting yourself pessimistically. How would befriending a doomed kingdom benefit us?”

“Your Majesty, have you heard of the saying, ‘when the lips are gone, the teeth will cold’?” Huang Ming asked conversationally.

“Of course,” the king replied and smiled cynically. “But this hardly applies to the situation between our two kingdoms, we do not have a symbiotic relationship. Whatever happens across the great river, the kingdom of Chu will not be affected.”

Huang Ming shook his head. “That is not the case for very long. Do you know what has been happening in Jin?”

“We know they tried to invade you but failed miserably,” the king said.

“That is because they were unprepared. Had the invasion been commanded by someone more competent, I would not be standing here before you today.”

The king barked in laughter. “Do not be so modest. We might be divided by the great river, but that that does not mean we are deaf of your deeds. We know who you are, son of General Huang Zheng. You defeated that redoubtable Ran Wei with a ruse, and you used a single letter to delay the Jins for three whole days in the north. And now you are here, wagging your silver tongue to buy respite for your kingdom once again. How much time do you think you can get this time?”

“As long as possible, of course,” Huang Ming replied glibly.

The King of Chu roared with laughter. “Decades ago your father thwarted our own invasion, how ironic that his son should be here seeking our help.”

He slapped his knee in glee.

“We will indulge you,” he said. “Tell us, what is happening in Jin?”

“No doubt that you have heard of the massive development in that kingdom. Would it surprise you to know that in addition to their swelling strength, they are also creating new weapons of mass destruction?”

“Are you talking about those fire-breathing instruments?” the king snorted. “Don’t look at us like that, we are not completely blind. Your own father is spending his days in the cul-de-sacs of Tigertrap Pass, and there have been rumours of thunderous booms in the valley even though there weren’t a single cloud in the sky. Combined with stories of your own experience in Beihai, it would not take too much to guess.”

Huang Ming nodded grimly. “Then you should know the potential of such weapons. Imagine being able to lob balls of iron and smashing city walls, imagine multitude of spears launching arrows of iron capable of piercing through armor and flesh. Hundreds… thousands of them. At once. Repeatedly.”

The king of Chu was unimpressed. “Can they fire from your side of the great river to our shores?” he asked sarcastically.

“Ships do exist, your majesty,” Huang Ming said dryly.

“Don’t be facetious. We are masters of naval warfare. The north have the edge in horses, but they will never match us on the water,” the king said confidently.

“And if the day comes when they could build ships made of iron?” Huang Ming asked cryptically.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” the king scoffed.

“As ridiculous as making thunders boom, even without a cloud in the sky?” Huang Ming smiled. He glanced at the spitroast, which was still being attended to by the two princes even though their eyes and ears were glued to the conversation.

“Does your majesty remember what he ate yesterday?” Huang Ming asked.

“Of course.”

“What about last week? Or the month before?” Huang Ming continued.

The king frowned. “What does that have to do with anything?”

“Does the king know when the first steel swords were made? When did they start replacing bronze swords? What about the first catapult? How great was the change of the rudder over the steering oar?”

“Get to the point,” the king grumbled, annoyed at his ignorance.

“People often forget when the moments of change occur, because it was so gradual over time. I am telling you, that you should not feel too secure in your superiority. What the Jins are achieving can be measured in years, not decades.”

For a few moments, the king’s head was bowed in silent contemplation.

Then he looked up, and Huang Ming could see a twinkle in his eyes.

“That is a problem for the future,” the king said cynically. “You painted a possible future of doom and gloom, but what can you offer us? Your kingdom needs us more than we need you. We could easily accept Wei’s offer for an alliance instead, and in that scenario we would be the dominant partner.”

Huang Ming remained unconcerned. “Well, what have they offered?”

“They say they could send over a few princesses,” the king said.

“For Prince Chu Feng, I presume, since he is known to be well disposed towards Wei,” Huang Ming said.

The king nodded, and Chu Feng’s expression became ghastly. He stared urgently at Huang Ming who ignored him.

“Unfortunately, Prince Chu Feng already found his loved one at the temple.”

“What?”

“Would you like to meet her?” Huang Ming asked blithely.

As if on cue, a large figure rushed towards them, the footfalls pounding the soft grass and leaving large footprints in its wake.

“What the hell is the hold up… Are you guys cooking!?” Bian Qing roared incredulously.

Thunder in the distance,
    Reasons to seek assistance.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    thornyflower likes this.