The Great Translation Migration...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zen2451, Oct 18, 2016.

1. zen2451

zen2451 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is the title for this new era of translations imo. More translators are migrating towards wuxiaworld it seems. In the near future readers will need to pay homage to the "Wuxiaworld Tree" I wonder which novel will become the next branch that stems from the mighty tree? My predictions are TTNH or otherworldy evil monarch...anyone else got any ideas?

2. PoshMafia

PoshMafia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. SimplyAShadow

SimplyAShadow Not Dead Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not that translators are moving towards WW specifically, but sites similar to WW or GT that don't easily crash from the high amounts of traffic their translations get + they don't have to maintain their own site

asriu, fireclaws, Lithit and 4 others like this.
  4. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Makes sense, though, for the same reasons the original web novels are all hosted on aggregator sites. Shared audience, dedicated support for the backend, able to communicate with your peers within the site (a similar advantage enjoyed by developers for one company), and as icing on the cake the move from a personal blog to a major site gives your work a feeling of "professional endorsement" from some of the most accomplished translators in the scene.

5. Rice1321

Rice1321 Daoist Curious Fall

Reading List:
    Link
    Douluo Dalu or maybe Douluo Dalu 2 to complement HJC and COL.

6. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    GT crash all the time ..........................................................

Gunji Murgi and die4jingshi like this.
  7. henrywolf123

henrywolf123 『<(-.-<) kriby master』

Reading List:
    Link
    No ren made a post about how he asked the translator of Douluo Dalu if he wanted to join a while back, and he respectfully declined.

8. Rice1321

Rice1321 Daoist Curious Fall

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I didn't know that....what about cookiepastetranslations?

9. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if Ren can secude World of Cultivation over.

10. carapeto

carapeto Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Obviously no!
    First there are many aggregation sites! And at least GT is as big as WW...
    Then there are a few other affiliated with those that share translators and are on quite friendly terms!
    Next yhe "migrations" to WW as you call them, are quite sparse and Ren seems to be quite picky on ppl/novels! GT has actually been growing a lot more faster! And WW has been having issues keeping some series going on with some TLs going MIA!
    Finally I think you underestimate the cost and effort to maintain a decent site with millions of visitors! To me as long as they work as they are now (many free chapters and free access to site) I quite support these sites! They provide a proper common stable platform!

so... no great migration... just a few... periodically move there!

11. Devils

Devils Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It won't be long until WW has a monopoly on translation sites. All hail Ren!

12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    Wuxiaworld huh.. I forgot that it exist.

13. Alvastar

Alvastar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the new translators are going to other websites like Novels Chill rather than GravityTales or WuxiaWorld. At least that's what I've been observing over the past few months. The two main hubs, GT and WW have only picked up a couple of the newer novels that have garnered popularity, and a couple of the older ones.

From a reader standpoint, it'd be better for those translators to migrate into one place. From a host and management standpoint, it's better to distribute it up over multiple websites so as to reduce friction and politics.

Realistically, there will be a merging of all the translation sites in the future. Ads aren't really a decent way to secure maintenance costs and to pay the wages of those maintaining the websites. Which is why other forms of support have been being discussed for the past year and you've seen site remodels to be able to support testing in the future with such updates.

Once a decent model is laid out and readers find that there is better mobile and tablet support, as well as other decent features to keep them coming back, translators will be migrating to that hub. Then, when other hubs feel the strain they will begin talks to maximize their benefits before they lose all their readers and translators before they become to aware of the issue.

When this happens, you'll see a single site that is mirrored and distributed across a number of various servers moreso than now simply because they will make a much greater effort to handle all the traffic and childish DDOS attacks from kids.

14. LtBeefy

LtBeefy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WW and Gravity ads are making me like them less.
    I dont mind static ads but all the ads these days seem to be video ads. This lags my loading and eats up my data plan. So annoying to deal with.

asriu and GamingIce like this.
  15. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    Gravity tales has more stories including originals. Novels like dimension sovereign and paradise of demon and gods will boost the sites traffic more once they hit 100 chapters and more people will read spirit vessel which is getting good atm

16. Crystalraven

Crystalraven † Strawberry † Knight †

Reading List:
    Link
    How?! I'm reading all of their active projects (except CoL) and it's awesome

17. Crystalraven

Crystalraven † Strawberry † Knight †

Reading List:
    Link
    After GT performed the site renovation, I hadn't found a single issue concerning crashes (aside from the occasional DDoS attack)

Well translators need revenue no? Ren even quit his job to take care of WW. The ads from WW aren't THAT bad, but sometimes the ads from GT redirects my browser and it's annoying, but that's all. The effort from the translators makes me overlook the little things.

18. koddychi

koddychi [RPG slayer] [Great Sage] [Dao of Cuteness]

Reading List:
    Link
    The world is wuxiaing...

19. cheval

cheval Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to use adblocker browser for my android though if I don't want to burn my data plan when I'm out of the house and want to read/check on updates. not so much when I'm using laptop

20. LtBeefy

LtBeefy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not saying they shouldn't use ad's, but cant they go back 2 none video ads and non pop up redirecting ads? Maybe video ads make more but they also piss people off more than static ads. I keep my popup block turned on now on sites that run video ads. Static ones i keep it turned off.