The Inverted Dragon’s Scale racist?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Titan LLS, Jun 11, 2016.

?

Racist?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    60.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titan LLS

Titan LLS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    (Racism power lvl It's Over 9000! from what i see!)
    Okay in all seriousness, this thing is way to fucking racist their is barely any attempt to disguise it.
    The plot was good well promising at least, so i desperately try to ignore it. When he looks to start finding a cure for pigmentation i had to stop.

"Have another look at Li Muyang, he is skinny and his skin is black, it looks like he a piece of coal —how can he be compared to a pig?"

Template bullying right so it can be ignored plus from general description you are made to think even in general pigmentation aside he is ugly i'd be willing to just have him be like the current Wang Lin then nothing much in terms of looks and move on its not vital but as it goes on they just continue to harp on him being ugly.

"Cui Xiaoxin also have met Li Muyang’s parents who seemed to be very nice people. Also, Li Muyang’s mother is a very beautiful lady, even in Jiangnan where beauties are as plentiful as the clouds in the sky; she’s still very eye-catching.

If Li Muyang was to inherit the good genes from his parents, he will also be a handsome man that appears once in ten thousands of people—-

Never mind, friends are all about sincerity, and one should not judge by appearance."

Another scene harping about looks we get it he isn't selling in facial features but then she goes...

"Cui Xiaoxin stared at the charcoal-black face of Li Muyang, and realised he’s becoming more and more pleasing to the eyes. Although Li Muyang’ skin is pitch-black, but he had pretty and defined facial features. His most special features were his eyes ,which looked intelligent and seem to devour the souls of others."

Eh! then he is ugly simply because of pigmentation! but the kicker has to be his healing scene

"Seeing himself in the mirror, Li Muyang felt a slight unfamiliarity.

The previous him was as dark as charcoal, just like a genuine one hundred percent pure inkstone.

Many times when he went shopping with Li Shinian, she would suddenly stood still, and then take out foundation from her cosmetic bag to apply to his face——

Right now Li Muyang felt he had become a bit paler, no, more like a dull yellow. A deep tan colour, as if he had been under the sun for a prolonged period of time.

His skin was just as good as before, like a piece of metal that’s been exposed to the shining rays of the sun, displaying brilliant lights and vibrant colours.

He was extremely pleased with his changes, he even thought about putting on a medicinal gauze mask every night when he returned home. Maybe after days and months the black pigment in his body will be fully absorbed?"

I don't have words...

2. Cloud9000Arrogance

Cloud9000Arrogance Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    never read this story ,seems rascist , yea seems very rascist , might be biase because im black but wtf?

3. MarSprite

MarSprite <Impossible to Gauge>

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically, even his sister tells him he's ugly because he is black. Textbook racism.

4. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    ...You're aware that Li Muyang's current parents, aren't actually his parents, right? They were servants for the Lin family, and he was born in it, but because of his 'deficiencies', he was swapped for his 'mother's' child, because he seemed healthy.

And I would argue it's more of a Ugly Duckling Turns Into Beautiful Swan kind of thing, than racism.

5. Mantrazz

Mantrazz The Lord Upgrade D Biggest Baddest Spammer Around

Reading List:
    Link
    You must have the energy, it's China, the land of jade skinned beauties get used to it.
    Ignoring that, it is the standard of beauty in China that pale skin is beauty, not my opinion but that is how it is

DorbenRS, sithkazar, kai9004 and 2 others like this.
  6. infinitum

infinitum Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh well, you can't change some people inherent inferority complex.

Fred7gold likes this.
  7. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought when they said he was black like charcoal they meant he looked like a piece of burnt meat, not black like a race with a dark skin pigment.

Vrazi, DorbenRS, crazyboy1200 and 7 others like this.
  8. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... its chinese what do you expect lol? from what i know most chinese are racist even if they donts how it

9. forgotten

forgotten 【 R E M N A N T】

Reading List:
    Link
    now you can't even say "black paint!" you have to say "jacob please paint the wall" ;/

JK. yes it is racist but since in my country almost impossible to find race related discrimination i can overlook something like that if story is good and it just happened once

EDIT: wording what i meant its just that racism is no issue here so i just ignore it easly , unles its thrown on to my face multiple times ... >.> thats different

DorbenRS likes this.
  10. Bro-Shield

Bro-Shield Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it seems racist but... and?Its a fiction story,you can write what do you want.

11. Kenma

Kenma Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder why we are always looking for racism in fiction. His skin is jet black like ink so flipping what it's called part of the plot. If you never had to deal with racism in real life you wouldn't want to look for it in everything else.

DorbenRS and ninish like this.
  12. Avagantimos

Avagantimos Chosen Undead|Bearer of the Curse|Ashen One

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read the book, but here is what I think. Instead of reading it as black, think of it as johndess where your skin changes color or when you drink to much silver and turn blue or abhor her skin condition that changes your skin pigment, would you try to hide it? Would you feel bad about it? That's kinda what they are talking about imoa. And about calling him ugly because of his skin color, would you date someone who is yellow, blue, red, or orange? Or would you consider them ugly/off-putting for their skin color?

DorbenRS, sithkazar, Shance and 2 others like this.
  13. xalienxgamerx

xalienxgamerx Mmm friend...

Reading List:
    Link
    Reread the prologue and realize why he is "black"

The Darkness, Samsara and NotAnApron like this.
  14. forgotten

forgotten 【 R E M N A N T】

Reading List:
    Link
    if it isn't race related it isnt racisim lol. its just discrimination because he looks different. not sure thought i haven't read a story

DorbenRS likes this.
  15. mansour1

mansour1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The story is good and his skin color is part of the plot

kai9004 likes this.
  16. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also if his skin is really that color what can you say?? saying his skin is black like charcoal is not really an insult, is more like a description... what other thing you can compare in nature to a black skin color??... i think it was an onyx jewel that is also black but its not a common topic really and carbon is known to all so saying his skin is like charcoal is appropiate really... Also from what i know the MC in the novel is being bullied quite bad... also not to mention that black people in china are discriminated from what i know

DorbenRS likes this.
  17. Doskas

Doskas Lord of the Golden Eagles

Reading List:
    Link
    And? It may be but this is fiction and not our own world, depicting racism isn't the same as being racist. Secondly this is a Chinese story their culture is different from ours judging them with our values doesn't work well.

Fred7gold likes this.
  18. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it's a bit racist, but that's life. @Avagantimos has a reasonable interpretation, but this isn't the early to mid 1900's; people aren't ignorant of the racism depicted by hating on black skin anymore. So if that's what he was going for, without any racist discrimination intended, he would have picked one of the skin colors that don't exist. Still, just roll with ava's version if you like the plot and ignore it. If we were original readers, there'd be some ability to make a statement by refusing to read a story like that and discourage the author, but guess what: as a fanbase, with notable rare exceptions, we are worthless to the author. So your choice to consume or not has no power here; it will change nothing.

19. Brungles

Brungles Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Darker/yellower skin is considered ugly in China. There is a huge market for skin lightener. It's a cultural thing and while it is racist, it's not like it's just the author with this attitude considering how large the market is for skin whitener.

20. xalienxgamerx

xalienxgamerx Mmm friend...

Reading List:
    Link
    Not racist, as he is the same race as them.

DorbenRS and forgotten like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.