Discussion The King’s Avatar: Is Glory a good game?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by BLKCandy, Mar 27, 2017.

?

Is it good or bad game? Will you play it?

1. It is a good game. You would play it.

39.7%
  2. It is a good game. But, you would not play it.

18.1%
  3. It is unclear.

20.7%
  4. It is not a good game. But, you would play it.

4.3%
  5. It is not a good game. You would not play it.

17.2%
  1. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, it's not impossible to program that kind of system. What you need is a lightweight voxel system for the crafting. The resulting "model" could then be analyzed to look for certain characteristics that would determine the bonuses given. Inscriptions could be done separately to "program" the weapon, so to speak.

Of course, we all agree that the question here was never "possibility" but rather "feasibility". That kind of feature would simply take up way too much processing power (even a lightweight voxel engine is still computationally expensive). Not to mention the end result would be broken as hell.

On an unrelated note, someone said something about a separate server for the "pro" player would be bad for community. I tend to agree. Sometimes, bad players make things interesting. I remember my own experience playing WoW (private server though, didn't have a credit card back then, as I was still in college). My guild had lots of bad runs, but many of them were still enjoyable. As a general rule, as long as you stay civil and friendly to one another, even a bad run could give you lots of laughter.

Case in point, I was working on my quests in Northrend (it was back in the WoTLK days) when suddenly a guild officer asked for members for a quick run through Blackwing Lair (the pre-Cataclysm version). I was a lower level dungeon and I was around lvl 70-ish at the time, so naturally I agreed. Free gold is always welcome. There were a few of us. We didn't even come with a full 10-man party because, hey, low-level right?

Well, yes, low-level. Except most of us only had crappy pre-WoTLK gears on us. The guild officer of course had her tiered gears on, but aside from her, only me and another guy (a Death Knight) had WoTLK gears - and that's because I was a blacksmith. So given the sad state of our equipment, she suggested to skip Vaelastrasz. Now, this was a private server, so some things are different. In our server, if you want to fight Vaela, you talk to it first. The fight itself is pretty much similar to retail WoW, but since you have to actually talk to it to fight, this means that, to skip it, you simply don't talk to it. And this is where something went wrong, and hilarity ensued.

One of our members, a rather clumsy but otherwise good-natured shaman (he was around my level, but with pre-WoTLK gears, and it was later revealed that he hasn't trained all available skills yet, because he wanted to conserve gold) was lagging behind us. He was unfamiliar with the dungeon, and several times we had to wait for him to catch up. Now, we were running up a stair when suddenly there was a big red text displayed in our chatbox:

"Vaelastrasz shouts: Too late...friends. Nefarius' corruption has taken hold. I cannot...control myself. I beg you Mortals, flee! Flee before I lose all sense of control. The Black Fire rages within my heart. I must release it! FLAME! DEATH! DESTRUCTION! COWER MORTALS BEFORE THE WRATH OF LORD....NO! I MUST FIGHT THIS! ALEXSTRASZA, HELP ME! I MUST FIGHT!"

The entire party went "lolwut?" and we started checking to see who was absent. True enough, a moment later, the poor shaman chatted up and said that he lost track of us and mistakenly clicked on the big dragon.

Vaelastrasz was one of the hardest boss pre-BC, and it showed. The DK tanked him, but we still needed some time to take him down. Two of our guys were actually downed that time. One of which was the poor shaman. It was a very hilarious fight. We could hear our guild officer shouting: "Stay in my range. I SAID STAY IN MY F-ING RANGE!", "I'M NOT HEALING ANY IDIOTS WHO'S NOT IN RANGE!", "Ok, he's almost gone. One more push people.", "SHAMMY! FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING THAT'S HOLY, STAY IN MY RANGE!", and the classic "WHY WOULD YOU STAND IN FRONT OF THE FIRE??"

Now, could we have done better? Oh we certainly can. The thing is, we were too busy laughing. The DK was audibly laughing out loud over Ventrilo. Same goes for the guy who went down. And while I didn't have a mic, I too was laughing. So much so that my healing was almost nonexistent. Luckily, our guild officer was a priest. She handled almost all of the healing. At that point, I was practically reduced to auto-attacking while holding my stomach.

2. Neruz

Neruz sssSSSssss

Reading List:
    Link
    My bad, using the word 'successfully' didn't really communicate what I meant. Replace that with 'well, in a form that is actually beneficial to gameplay and not a huge pain in the ass for the player, hilariously unbalanced nor a giant money sink.'

There are a lot of things that are technically possible if you happen to have a crazy billionaire willing to waste vast sums of money on a highly risky endeavor with no guarantee of return (see most of the things Elon Musk has pulled off, reusable space rockets? I don't know what's more insane, that he tried to do that, or that he actually did it.) but there's a big difference between 'technically possible' and 'actually feasible.'

I'm sure one day we will in fact reach that level of customization, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon unless someone happens to make a true AI, in which case all bets are off.

As for talk about separating 'pro' players from everyone else, well that usually comes from people who aren't actually very good at the game and have little understanding of what a competitive matchmaking system actually is or how it functions. It's very hard for some people to accept that they're just genuinely not very good at something, and much, much easier to blame imaginary 'pro' players as the reason why they are stuck in bronze.

It's kind of like the mythical 'ELO Hell', it does sort of exist, but it's not what the majority of people talking about it think it is. But then again, learning this sort of stuff requires actual brainpower and spending time doing research and mathematics. It's not surprising that the majority of video gamers have no time nor patience for such things, nor that they like to complain about things that they do not understand at all. People complain about things they don't understand all the time; like nuclear power. Of course, the fact that pro players do in fact run smurf accounts for funsies muddies the waters quite a bit and just makes the whole thing far messier than it otherwise could be. That said; the reality is that the difference between a normal player and a 'pro' level player is about fifty-thousand hours of play time, give or take ten thousand or so.
    (Incidentally this is also the difference between a normal person and a 'pro' level anything. Aka: Effort.)

In short, people are idiots. Even smart people can be idiots, intelligence in no way prevents idiocy. In fact, in many ways being more intelligent increases the potential for idiocy; intelligent people are capable of far greater idiocy purely because they know they're smart.

I long for the day when a true AI is finally achieved and sufficient checks and measures to ensure that no asshat programmers snuck in some backdoors are implemented. Humans really aren't very good at managing ourselves, sadly it does not appear that there are any proper gods to manage us instead. Fortunately, we're humans. If there's one thing humans are good at it's building things, lets build us some gods. We clearly need them.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  3. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    It is fun to read about in a story but most likely wouldn't work well in real life.

4. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    The current technology is not enough.

5. pothb

pothb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not doubting you, it was my initial view as well, but a number of people was like, no, it's 3rd person. Too bad I have no idea where the comment is now, since it's on gravity's comment section. And there is way too many chapters to look through.

6. Miss Ruby

Miss Ruby 『Candy Floss』『Black Blood』 『❄️Ice Princess❄️』

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't play the game. Sounds like a hell lot of work

7. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    I would really like to play Glory desu~ Reading tka reminds me of when I was still playing Dragon Nest.

iloveyuri

8. Liak

Liak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even though I'm aware some things would need to differ and some things (such as the self craft) are not currently available I would love to play a game that follows the general ideas of this world. Based on their rate of leveling with a level cap of 70 (without events) to me it seems like they would need 3-6 months to max level (am about 1/5 through the novel though) depending on how steep the curve gets. Which a few months to half a year is a good amount of time for a grind fest if you ask me (I've played lineage 2 prior to turning free and Diablo 2 a lot so i'm used to insanely stacked grinds). An in depth crafting system where the stats and hidden bonus of a weapon depend on the ingredients used and proper placement? Sounds like "I'm new to dark souls and this is hell" kind of fun XD. Not to mention I'm a die hard fan of active combat (can't stand not being able to dodge a skill or attack even if you're faster or path better). Just sounds like a paradise game to me :D

9. Lawlyeth

Lawlyeth [Gorrila Warfare Expert]

Reading List:
    Link
    The archer class has a very pitiful range so insta-del

10. NastyOlRoshi

NastyOlRoshi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, apart from some idiotic mechanics like
    (1) jumping/floating in the air or
    (2) unique combo attacks or
    (3) manipulating the map in impossible ways to lock raid boss inside and
    (4) absurd stuff like APM
    Glory looks like a decent game. When I first started reading the novel I almost felt as if I was reading a crossover between Lineage 2 and WoW.

11. Liak

Liak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    idk i thought the unique movements that the classes had seemed kind of interesting (triple slash on the blade master, broom on the witch, gun fire on the gunner classes). the combos don't really need to be there, so far the only thing they have played a role into is activating one of the battlemage ultimate skills. having little mis-codes in the map would be entertaining (they would get patched though so yeah it doesn't belong). the only part that apm plays a role is IF the animations for attacks and attack skills are based on the speed of your weapon, so if you have a 10 spd weapon (max) and youre not fast enough to chain skills together then apm becomes a real thing however unlikely it would be for you to actually have that issue since even then you are still restricted by animations.

Side note, it's rare for me to encounter another who has enjoyed the pleasures of Lineage 2 :D (hopefully pre F2P?).

12. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    It won't be that exciting anyway. Reading about it is always exciting but playing...It won't be for sure.

Implement the system that would allow to create customized equipment is not that difficult (you have to keep in mind that those who could that in the game are actually pro players that can be considered almost part of development team of the game - at least they had such facilities available).

I am waiting for the game where exist a guild system that allow to create customized equip that allows to recognize players (like rings for example). They are exclusive and when you pay for example $10-30 and provide you blueprint - it will be created for you but game developers and added to the game as item. Then It can be spread among other guild members. (unlike banners beside the name)

Gracia was ok because I could raise pets (aside striders) and they evolve. Interlude is almost the best, but as a soloer I had to run multiple windows to enjoy it. (And raise multiple characters of course. One day I'll return to some private server). I even have Gracia Final server running locally where I check some things with GM cheating.

13. Aria

Aria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would play it, though I would be one of those noob/filthy casual, doomed to never be able to join heavenly domain server due to it's quest requirement.

I would just stay in normal server, join a non-club backed guild, goes around enjoying the quest line/story line while staying on safe (non-pk) area as much as possible and run if someone hit me on non-safe area

Eventually I'll run out of "easy" quest, and quit because there is nothing else I can do in-game~

Liak likes this.
  14. SwiftC

SwiftC Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's almost unlimited skill cap makes the game seem pretty good, yet the ammount of money you would have to invest in armor, weapons, especially silver equipment sounds unreasonable. I doubt people wouldn't be complaining about pay 2 win

15. Liak

Liak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah the heavily restricted materials in the game is an issue i feel. hell the game has been out for 10 years pro for 8 (that's not by any means a new game, even though there are many time where they try to say that the pro scene isn't developed nearly enough) and there are apparently many effect that people have not been able to replicate (e.g. that lvl 65 unique sword for +dmg per weapon in item slots)

16. TheHawkk

TheHawkk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Horrible games with horrible mechanics. It wouldn't even work in real life, or if it did, it would be horribly rng based.

17. Liak

Liak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    which mechanics are horrible?

18. ZackFair

ZackFair New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i just watched the anime
    and all i can say the game inside the anime is great,why?
    1. it maybe first person or there's 3rd person mode, but in a game that popular surely people will eventually adapting to it
    2. its a grind fest, competitive style with instant dungeons and world bosses,(competitive part on dungeon clearing/time completed)
    3. many easter egg inside a dungeon there's a boss and hidden boss which is a plus for us gamers
    4. the variable of classes and skills, watched the game and 1 thing that its really makes me interested is, there's 24 classes with its skills pre-predesigned by game system, but there are no restriction of weapon wielding, it is very versaitile, and the skill even though its pre-predesigned by game system, the implementation of the skills factoring the lanscape, like we see how people can jump to top of the tree and do dash-slash move to the bottom, and aerial dodge moves/attacks and each own skill are not animation bounded, meaning if you do for example skill that 4 time slash in your front, combined with wsad moves you can aim it to make it slash your surrounding, this is also seen with the anime's mc doing,and his counterfeit before, both is using the same combos,something called dragon rising,but the counterfeit only can aim it straight, while the mc which more experienced or shud i said real skilled player, can modifying it into his own signature move, which is ONLY using the very same ultimate skill dragon rising, but while the skill is happening he manage to read the opponent about to cancel his move and he literally scroll his mouse to makes the attack going down first the back up from his behind,(its called dragon rise its head - mc signature move that only can be done by him), which in the anime we watch he sidescrolling the mouse fast because its easier to let the viewer see the fast movement than have to explain he is not actually side scrolling but forward scrolling so the dragon rising head are going down to evade the aerial atk, and rise back up behind him and deal damage to him
    5. the closest game i ever experience this kind of fluid combat is Dragon Nest, though its only dungeon based,which is kinda boring,and in dragon nest i still experincing animation bound skill, which in there can be canceled by dodge moves, but still its not the same, but how the combos work is already close enough,
    6. and i see someplace called heavenly domain and its like something similar of castle maps of the war of emperium maps on ragnarok, and in there there's maybe castles to contest for between guilds, and within the castle you can access some information about the game world like how many users online,when was particular player logged in, and instant dungeon review checking like which character name cleared particular instant dungeon in which group name on which guild with which time completed, or many hidden feature we dont know about something trivial for guild to gain information and devise a strategy for world bossing or war
    7. the most interesting is equipments in the game seems didnt gives much boost for the actual progress, but it still gives some perculiar bonuses for epic items, and new players can beat the unskilled old player taking their items,(maybe irl implementation shud be has some items to prevent the item drop) but item PKing is a fun way to keep game alive since it would generating so many dramas and conflict which can makes the game last longer for example in the anime glory has reach its decace online servicing
    8.its very few mmorpg game that has that lifespan, one of them is lineage 2 which has probably similarly castlesiege guild contest skill book codex system to glory, and their free PKing with some punishment became red could be removed, so we actually can choose to be a bad or good player
    9. and last whats more intriguing is how they logged in,its like some credit card style verification which i very much like, for its security, and that also means whatever you doing inside the game are valuable, meaning you can sell your account,and to which condition the glory has been it should be main commodity in the world at that time
    10. lastly the competition,arena, esport team introducing, its all based on real life situation, where to old skilled player got kicked out to change to less skilled more handsome-maybe player,or more swag-attitude player to boost the team popularity,and got beaten back by raw player skills

either way if there's such a game i will play it most definitely

19. Josua

Josua New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    BOOP! WRONG! It's worldwide, amigo. Read the latest in the novels, and you'll see.

20. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    OK then, thx for the info. been not reading it since it gone to QI. tho, that comment was made last year, not recent, so sorry if it offend you in any way of misinformation.