Korean The Marquis’ Lost Mistress

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by sithkazar, Jan 1, 2022.

1. sithkazar

sithkazar Professional Screw Up

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

Name
    :
    The Marquis’ Lost Mistress

Raw Link:

I don't know.

NU Link:
    LINK

Previous Translations Info:
    Translated by Wook at Travis Translations up to chapter 26 (of 155). Officially dropped in November.

Description:
    Leila was a young noble girl when her parents suddenly died leaving her a lone sheep amongst wolves. Betrayed and victimized, she was ready to end her life when he reached out his had and gave her the support and stability she so desperately needed. She naturally fell in love with him and became his mistress, living in an isolated bubble of her own making and convincing herself that she was happy. Now that the bubble has popped, she is confused and uncertain of what the future holds, and is slowly learning that the support she had leaned so heavily on was built on lies. However, now her choices not only affect herself, but the innocent life she carries.

Why It Should Get Picked Up:
    It has a unique and interesting premise. Its more of a mystery then a romance (so far). The previous translation is just enough to wet the appetite and give a new translator a chance to see if it is something they would be interested in, but not so much that it would feel like a chore to pick up.

Readers seem to get frustrated with the confused thoughts of the MC, but I find the writing very believable. In these early chapters she is working through a lot trauma and trust issues. One second she wants to get rid of the pregnancy and the next she is thinking about running away, only to then think about killing herself. It takes her awhile to decide on the path she wants to take and we get to watch her work through that. As outsiders it seems like an easy decision, but I think the author does a good job of showing a realistic thought process to someone in her position. I also already see glimpses of (what I hope) is her character growth and eventual independence. I do not know if the novel will hold up to my expectations, but if written right it has a lot of potential.

The ML is not the man mentioned in the description (both above and on the NU page). That guy is actually the antagonist. The ML has shown up in the story, but we don't know a lot about him yet. He has his own back story where he ended up giving up his position of heir to a noble family to his twin sister (who took his name). And the twin sister may very well become another antagonist (she is definitely pulling strings behind the curtain).

All in all, there is a lot of nuance and conspiracy, as well as a great potential for character growth. I hope someone will take a look and see if they want to pick it up.

mg534, Baldingere and Reack like this.
  2. mg534

mg534 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link