Non-Fic The mistreated browser

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 155674, May 8, 2019.

?

What is your best browser?

1. Firefox

2. Chrome

3. Microsoft Edge

4. Opera

5. Internet Explorer

6. Brave

7. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Free VPN that only works in the Opera browser, you can try Openvpn if you want a free complete vpn host

2. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Then I’d have to register...:facepalm:

Edit: Openvpn sounds great...I will research...

3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    You mean FireFox's long forgotten cousin?

A VPN is as useful as how much trust you put into it. Ever since Opera was bought by the Chinese, it's credibility is questionable.

4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I suppose it does for activating a user license :blobsweat_2:, nevertheless it is still free and opensource so that is a plus in my opinion

5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I use firefox because... Well, I was introduced to it first I guess?

Doesn't help that I dislike google products in general, I only use google as a search engine nowadays... >.>

6. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    < Firefox (Main)

< Vivaldi (Secondary)

< The rest of browsers that i don't care anymore....

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  7. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She awfully looks like Jack the Ripper from Fate/ Apocrypha.
    Why does G-Chrome look like a mixed gender final boss in superpower fights?

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  8. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan's best browser was actually Netscape Navigator. Even back in the day of Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator was better. Not only was it fast, it was also prettier. The people who worked on Netscape Navigator then moved to Mozilla, and they created Firefox.

10. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    My firefox consumes way less than that though? I guess it's because I changed that annoying setting that splits Firefox into multiple processes and makes it consume a ton of RAM.

Rn it consumes roughly 700-900kb at 20 tabs, which is about the same as google I guess?

Surprising to see chrome finally fixing its gigantic memory hog though~

11. Chrono Vlad

Reading List:
    Link
    Google doesn't like Adblockers soooo in the near future a certain update for Google Chrome will break the functionality of some Adblockers their reason it "slows down the browsing experience".... How slow? well it should just be around 0.1-0.3+ seconds (depends on what adlbocker you are using) if i recall correctly.... :hmm:

12. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Memory usage would depend on which site you load. Also if you have an adblocker, you would consume less ram as well.

The splitting into multiple processes allows for better stability and faster speed, but leads to more memory usage, so its a give and take.

Though I will note that this test is slightly dated (latest one I could find quickly), and firefox is up to 66. When quantum was introduced in 58, they had a lot of memory improvements since 60, with another major improvement to memory coming in mid may for 67.

I still used netscape until 2 years ago, I stopped when the SSL expired making it a pain to use.

Not exactly, they are switching from WebRequest API to declarativeNetRequest for security reasons. A lot of adblockers depend on the webrequest api to work and declarativeNetRequest wouldn't cut it. When that was pointed out, google said they will extend the declarativeNetRequest.

On a side note, Google even added a built in adblocker to chrome which will go worldwide in july.

Ai chan likes this.
  13. Chrono Vlad

Reading List:
    Link
    Urgh i hate those built-in adblocker you can't control what ads they have whitelisted and only have small variety of settings you can control... :notlikeblob:

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I was using it with adblocker off actually... Though well, the multiple tabs were mostly NUF tabs (with 1 discord and 1 adless wiki tabs open), so there are no ads in the first place... >.>

And yeah, the better stability/speed is nice, but doesn't help much if your PC gets mega slow because of too much RAM usage! xD

Nice to know they got some major improvements recently to get the memory consumption on firefox though, always happy to see them catering for users with weaker machines~
    On that note, I kinda hate them adding built-in ad blockers... I mean, it just means more users will be blocking ads and stopping sites from getting revenue.

Most users never use the extensions feature at the end of the day, so they'd never know ad blockers are a thing in the first place... >.>

Ai chan likes this.
  15. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    The built in adblockers are not a bad thing because they tackle possibilities of getting a virus and reduce the memory usage for the majority. It isn't meant for power users but they create a compromise to allow websites to have ads while eliminating intrusive ads.

The sites you mentioned don't have much images and javascript running, so obviously they will use less ram. Try an interactive site like front page of a news site or what not.

The opposite! These adblockers are not meant to block all ads, they block ads that do not comply with industry guidelines. Which means all those ads with viruses/phishing, those ads which block the entire page, autoplaying videos and the like.

The goal is to create a compromise between websites and users so that websites can still earn revenue and reduce the need for adblockers.

As long as a website doesn't have intrusive ads, it won't get blocked.

Chrono Vlad and AliceShiki like this.
  16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure NUF uses javascript? But yeah, not many images for sure.

Ugh, news' site? Those tend to be sooooooo cancerous... >.>

And well, 90% of my online time is spent on NUF, so... I guess it can't be helped it's my go to standard... *giggles*
    Oooooooooh, that's pretty neat actually~

17. Chrono Vlad

Reading List:
    Link
    You have a point.

Good for those who aren't experienced when it comes to adblockers and stuff a.k.a the casual types :blobrofl: but Bad for those who want total control and definitely knows what he/she is doing. :blobsmirk:

18. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    Bing-chan is there for when google says unable to connect because I don't know what the fuck causes that, thank you bing-chan.