Discussion the most disappointing novel you've ever read.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by sisterfister, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrossXero

CrossXero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Akashi

Akashi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Close combat mage
    RRL-YAOS-Yet Another OP Story

shader009 likes this.
  3. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    Most novels with a Transported Into Another World female lead that was an assassin. All that happens is them being saved by the male lead over and over and despite the fact that they were an assassin they're really useless in combat.

like this novel The Demonic King Chases His Wife: The Rebellious Good-for-Nothing Miss

Sabruness, Vi.M and readerz like this.
  4. A Name Not Chosen Yet

A Name Not Chosen Yet Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tales of Demons and Gods.
    Till the last chapters the novel was good, but the autor begin to rush with the plot

5. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well there is a good number, the one to disappoint me the most is a though cookie, there is Skill Taker’s World Domination ~ Building a Slave Harem from Scratch, boy was that a dissapointment :facepalm:, Emperor Domination it started great but at chapter 300 it began to fall to hard in the same tropes as others works and redundant (just my opinion though), Super Soldier King (The Mc contradicts himself in every new development), The other titles are more of my fault for having any expectation once I readed the synopsis.

6. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria.

I was expecting a good mystery, and the first arc was pretty intense (though the mystery was quite trivial actually). But after that, we were treated to a reset and the MC becoming this incredibly pathetic chuuni boy, with a harem shoved at him for no reason, and there was this icky pervert obsessed over him for no reason. The drama the series attempted to drum up was plain embarassing at times.

Seriously, he supposedly has an incredibly intelligent friend, and when said friend gets a wish and an opportunity to improve the world, his solution is... to make people with bad thoughts act like dogs under his control. Are you friggin' kidding me??

I don't need to list JP harems or CN Xianxias because I don't have any expectations of those to begin with, lol. I actually had expectations out of Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria though. :\

SoulZer0 likes this.
  7. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Harry Potter.

Such potential are totally wasted. Char development almost doesn't exist, lots of magic/potion/charm/curse are not explored and crappy ending.

8. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, I am unable to understand how people thought that this novel is any good. And the romance is cringy.

9. JustBeingBored

JustBeingBored New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He has a daughter now? And how did he let people rape her? I stopped reading a while back.

10. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gun-ota ga Mahou Sekai ni Tensei Shitara, Gendai Heiki de Guntai Harem o Tsukucchaimashita!?

The arc where he was betrayed and sold off as a slave came out of the blue. Makes the MC look stupid, when there had been no reason to suspect his intelligence in the past.

Appears as if his three decades in previous life were just introduced to explain away his knowledge of guns, since there was no improvement in his common sense/IQ. A nonsensical plot twist for the sole sake of plot progression.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  11. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Invincible Saint ~Salaryman, the Path I Walk to Survive in This Other World~

"It started off pretty good but got terrible after he cleared the first dungeon" is a common complaint in the review section, lol.
    (Growth Cheat being translated on the same site is also really disappointing because, well, he doesn't take advantage of the growth cheat)

12. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My vote goes towards Gu Long's "Flower Guarding Bell". It managed to build up expectations by featuring interesting characters in a pretty good plow. And it betrayed them with the worst non-ending I've ever heard of. Normally, I don't even care if an ending is particularly good, but this one was so bad that it destroyed any goodwill that the rest of the book managed to develop.

13. Poor_Hero

Poor_Hero your hope is crushed under the flag of "REALITY"

Reading List:
    Link
    1/2 prince, I guess. I shouldn't hope more from yu wo when it comes to ending. also, kill no more, the same crappy ending...

Wakame Prince likes this.
  14. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree yu wo is not the best author when comes to endings. That being said she did a decent job with sun knight's ending.

Also tdg, the most disappointing novel ever written.

Poor_Hero and AMissingLinguist like this.
  15. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Invisible Dragon? Nah, that totally met my expectations.

I guess the most disappointing novel for me would be the last novel of Divergent. I think it was called Allegiant.

Slayerwolfx2 and Ddraig like this.
  16. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Hard to chose for this one since for it to be disappointing it kinda need to be a story I had hopes for to begin with and/or spent a fair amount of effort reading.
    I guess for novels listed on NU runners up would be ISSTH, World of Cultivation, Coiling Dragon and Stellar Transformations, mainly since I read most if not all of their chapters and spent at least half of the time wondering why I'm still giving them a chance.
    Most disappointing would be Martial God Asura, I really liked the first couple dozen chapters, too bad it turned out to be total trash.
    I'm pretty sure there are worse xianxia/xuanhuan stories being translated but by now I'm burned out be these stories to the point of not willing to poke them with a stick even.

17. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    The first book was good but from around the second half of the second book the series became just plain horrible. I had to force myself to complete the book.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  18. Mahou-nii-sama

Mahou-nii-sama Ultimate Cannon Fodder

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm...it's hard to say since I nope the fuck out the moment I sense that it's turning shit or when it's really shit.

19. Rethorian

Rethorian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been awhile since I read those chapters, so this might not be entirely accurate:

Somewhat earlier in the story, Chu Feng falls for two sisters. The two sisters have a father (well duh). This father is the 'little shithead' the poster was refering to, not Chu Feng. He sees Chu Feng as a rising star, and wants to hitch his family onto Chu Feng, so he drugs him with an Aphrodisiac which makes him sex crazed, and gives his daughter something to restrict her cultivation base, so she can't fight back while Chu Feng has his way with her, and puts them in the same room as one another, in an attempt to force Chu Feng to take responsbility and take her as his wife (probably messing up some minor details). So yeah, father let his daughter get raped to force a marriage between her and Chu Feng.

Chu Feng doesn't have any children yet at this point in the translated chapters.

20. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    The Darkangel Trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce. That stupid ending ruined it.

GrimVeilRule likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.