Discussion the most disappointing novel you've ever read.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by sisterfister, Nov 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oooh that's a toughy. I'm not usually one to be disappointed by novels. Still.. hmm.. does it count if I'm disappointed by the lack of translated chapters, lmao? I mean there are some real doozies - novels I LOVED that were just DROPPED. I'll cry, y'know??? :blobcry:

There're lots of novels I just don't like, though. :blobshh:

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  2. mrducky

mrducky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Naruto System

GrimVeilRule likes this.
  3. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu

4. gorlax

gorlax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seoul station necromancer
    :blobdevil::blobdevil::blobdevil::blobdevil::blobdevil::blobdevil:

5. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe put that in a spoiler

6. Galaxii

Galaxii Anon-san

Reading List:
    Link
    Red Packet Server (Bad plot/a lot of plot holes, characters are idiotic)
    The Demonic King Chases His Wife: The Rebellious Good-for-Nothing Miss (Too many people against MC, and a lot of plot armor)
    Hidden Marriage (Too many idiotic cannon fodders and annoyingly tenacious people who like to plot against the MC)
    True Martial World (Been awhile, but pretty sure it was because I didn't like how the MC was with the Female Lead)
    Enchantress Amongst Alchemists: Ghost King’s Wife (Too much plot armor and idiotic characters)
    Demon Wang’s Golden Favorite Fei (Idiotic/messed up characters)
    And many harem (one male lead, many females) novels with weird plots or annoying MC's

Paps likes this.
  7. GabeZhul

GabeZhul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read many entries on NU (at least I don't consider 50+ a lot), but I still managed to stumble into a couple of them.

-Everyone Else is a Returnee (The last arc, if you can even call it that, was not only rushed, but it was completely botched on a fundamental level. I mean, how do you make an inter-dimensional war between four factions look this effortless and boring?)

-Ze Tian Ji (I adored, literally ADORED this story, then I accidentally spoiled myself with the lame "ending" and it made me lose all my enthusiasm for it.)

-Battle Through the Heavens, Coiling Dragon, Stellar Transformations, ISSTH (I'm bundling these together because they suffer from the same one-two-punch of ridiculous power inflation, sociopathic protagonists that get worse as the story goes on and the plot slowly losing coherence over time until major plot-threads and elements are totally forgotten and ultimately nothing makes sense.)

-Re:Monster (Started out really good, then the MC and company jumped right off the slippery slope and became chaotic evil asshats, yet the author still wanted me to care about them as if they were likable characters. Nope, not going to happen.)

-The Lazy Swordmaster (This is probably my biggest disappointment, as it had an amazing premise, which it immediately wastes. Add in a truly unlikable protagonist, and it's the perfect storm of letdown.)

Extra: Evil God Average (This was a disappointment in the sense that, while was an enjoyable read, it went nowhere, and the ending was atrociously dumb if you take two minutes to actually think about it.)

8. MarxDarkBear

MarxDarkBear The Great Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh boy where do i start, let's see:

1. I am a superstar - This novel was absolutely my favorite. I generally love novels where the MC becomes a jack of all trades and op. It was really interesting, the poems were nice, The speeches were awesome (I especially loved ode young china) and I was looking forward to him becoming a singer, actor, movie director, etc. However the Author just decided out of the blue that he didn't like how the story was going eventhough it was awesome, and decided to just change it to a nationalistic harem novel. Apparentely every country in the entire world is against the chinese (seriously, what is up with modern chinese novels and nationalism. Every novel that takes place in the modern world instead of in ancient china just has to have extreme nationalistic views, ruins a damn lot of novels) and it is the MC duty to uphold his country's honor. He started from slowly making his way through the industry to molesting women and fighting against foreign invaders. That's where i decided to drop it

2. The death mage that doesn't want a fourth time - Mc had everything going for him to become a ruthless antihero protagonist, the betrayal. The suffering of his loved ones. And being hated by the world. But nope, author just decided to turn the novel into a generic isekai novel where there is a kindhearted mc, with annoying sidecharacters that do nothing else than either be a puppet for the mc travels or falls in love with him (MC is still a freaking infant).

3. I shall seal the heavens - Boring start, however became later on extremely great. Then MC character took en entire 180 degree turn. Girl that he ends up with is the worst of all the female candidates with extreme bland personality.

4. Against the gods - first 30 chapter were great, however the more the story progressed the more I started to feel that the MC Hardly reached his position through his own work. After the first 30 chapters Mc decided to get roots.I thought 'awesome how is he gonna get his roots i am looking forward to that'. His roots were granted to him by the girl in the space. I was dissapointed but i kept looking forward to it. Mc trained for some time adn that was great aswell then he decided to be idiotic and almost got killed because of his greed eventhough he is totally useless at that time. Girl decided to save him from the dragon and he ended up with a bead that made him immuun to all fire. I was dissapointed again because MC didn't do sht. But i kept reading from his travels to the town where he signed up for the tournament he didn't raise a single level. bl bla bla he arrived at a phoenix cave and got the treasure because he was immuun to all fire. Bla bla bla bla, he decided to pickup a greatsword something he had never trained with before. I was alright atleast this time he will work for it he w will slowly train with the greatsword and become proficient with it. Nope the girl in the space gave him the strongest greatsword technique ever. Getting a treasure is mainstream in xanxia novels, however comapred with MC's where the treasure just give them a start and they become stronger through mostly their own work against the gods mc reached his position through hardly his own work.Before i dropped the novel the only time he actually increased his cultivation was at the beginning just when he got his roots. Afterward is became Mc got a treasure that raises his cultivation by several levels he fight against people, his cultivation doesn'rise the slightest through his travels. Mc enters a cave/inheritance or whatever everyone thinks he is dead goes through the cave gets the treasures comes out and face slaps people again

9. MarxDarkBear

MarxDarkBear The Great Man

Reading List:
    Link
    5. Emperor's domination - Novel started of great. Here you have this million year old master to hundreds of the world greatest and strongest people. Story was awesome, beginning was somewhat confusing however later you will realise that there was a lot of foreshadowing. Mc decided to become immortal emperor something that he has trained dozens of other people to become just so that he can fight against the demon cave that imprissoned him. The was a great plot, great cultivation, entire thing with the stars, palaces was new and interesting. And after 400-500 chapters the story became your tipical generic xanxia novel and started following the same plotline. It gives you the feeling that the author really thought things through for the first 400-500 chapters and afterwards that making things up as he goes along.Mc goes someplace, either it is a new city, or new world aslong as no one knows him. Mc is extremely arrogant (at first it was somewhat badass, afterwards it became extremely annoying and generic) because he offends young masters who want to kill him cause he doesn't like his arrogance. The MC expect everyone to know and pay the repects him that he deserves while not wanting anyone to know his real identity. Gets several women along he way who first were reluctant to follow him and afterwards they notice how great he is and decide to follow him. eventually when he doestroys a sect and people actually start to fear him, he goes to a new place where nobody knows him again and everything starts anew. At first there was alot of foreshadowing about items and techniques, however now the author just says everything is a great secret that nobody knows about which is extremely vague. Mc started of with just swordmaides and keeps saying that beatuy and lust doesn't affect him and now he became the tipical xanxia perverted xanxia mc that does nothing else than get more women and flirt with his harem.

Paps likes this.
  10. Sky Farrow

Sky Farrow 天外之魔

Reading List:
    Link
    Tales of Demons and Gods, the ultimate disappointment for me.

Wakame Prince likes this.
  11. ABMAINA

ABMAINA ★☆☆☆☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Uchi no Musume, no more needs to be said.

12. maiha-sama

maiha-sama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhhh I have a few.
    Chaos of Beauty
    Falling dreams of Fang Hua
    and more recently, Still Wait for Me (I was so disappointed with how MC just never learns)

Honorable mention to all those assassin transmigrators who don't seem to do anything assassin worthy. Cringe.

Paps likes this.
  13. hammyhamham

hammyhamham Only existing and not living

Reading List:
    Link
    Harems with dumb lolitas and big breasts females :notlikeblob:

zloi medved and Paps like this.
  14. Ghalad

Ghalad Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ze Tian Ji
    Trascending The Nine Heavens
    School Beaty Bodyguard (or whatever it was)
    Lazy Swordmaster
    And All Of Mad Snail Novels (Good Start And Terrible Ending)

15. LNFanatic

LNFanatic Programmer, Meme Farmer

Reading List:
    Link
    Close Combat Mage (no close combat and a ridiculously mundane plot)
    King Shura (started out great, became a train wreck and author started lashing out at readers for pointing out plot holes)
    ISSTH (highly overrrated)
    Wicked Soldier King (repetitive as f*k, no character development)
    God and Devil World (unlimited amounts of racism and a pointless plot)
    World of Cultivation (idk what the hype's about, was boring and a chore to read)
    Ze Tian Ji (read for all the hype, truly disappointing)
    Long Live Summons (waaay to many girls to keep track of)
    Tales of Demons and Gods (everyone above me has said enough)
    Lazy Swordmaster (amazing premise, completely wasted)
    Arifureta (good start, pioneering for its time, had great potential, wasted and turned into a meme)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Paps likes this.
  16. Lurked

Lurked Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought I Shall Seal the Heavens was amazing... Er Gen is really good at war scenes, but I do agree that the MC's character did change a lot (I like to think of it as him growing up; he can't be childish-shameless forever, right?).
    And why does everyone hate Ze Tian Ji...

As for dislikes, I can't read Ancient Strengthening Technique, Martial God Asura, Against the Gods, or Spirit Realm without getting an aneurysm.

17. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    God and Devil World / I'm really a superstar can't decide because the disappointment is too damn much
    Neet dating seriously? That shit is funny and much better than the title suggests, though I haven't read the latest chapters but for 100 chapters it's pretty good.

18. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    Stephen King's The Stand. An extremely disappointing read. Probably, the most disappointing novel I've ever read. (Well, maybe H.G. Wells War of the Worlds.) Not a bad book, far from it. It is a solid novel, and is one of his best regarded works. Probably what made it so disappointing. Made out to be such a great novel, but it didn't live up to the expectations. The ending was what did it for me. It was so god damn disappointing.

19. zloi medved

zloi medved Well-Known Green Tea Bitch

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m Back in the Other World?
    If it didn't start off the story starting to lean towards being an isekai adventure novel with an interesting twist, and then around chapter 30 suddenly take a hard turn into Slice-Of-Life Romance, but instead start off that way, I wouldn't care and might have been interested in reading it. But it was just such a misleading preamble, it was really disappointing when I realised the story I wanted to read didn't exist, and it was just something else entirely.

Actually... almost every isekai novel. Some begin with an interesting premise, but they almost all fall into the same two story types within a dozen chapters - A) "Adventurer's Guild" plotline where the extremely OP MC is just given basic rank because these Guilds apparently don't run tests to place people in more appropriate grades with no real justification as to why (just a throwaway line of "everyone starts at F rank because we believe you need the experience and networking gained from boring, minutiae tasks" or something would do, for fucks sake), and we spend the next 30 chapters with them being F rank and trying to keep "a low profile" for some arbitrary reason and then with no real build up are suddenly catapulted into an important position (eg. Invincible Saint) because I guess the author realised how boring it was and wanted to suddenly add importance and stakes to their character without them actually earning it OR B) They buy a catgirl slave waifu and then harem begins.

New! Plotlines!! Please!!! :blobpoliceangry: It would be refreshing to have some stupid nerd transported to another world and keep expecting the cliche story beats to happen, only to have it subverted at every single turn. "Beastfolk? I want to meet them!" They're more literal beastfolk, feral animalistic things with no real gender disparity in their biologies instead of the expected cute kemonomimi. "What about slaves?" What are you a monster, slavery is illegal, and no there aren't unscrupulous people who still do it somehow, we've reached racial equality, what the fuck is wrong with you. "I want to join an adventurer's guild!" There's no real organised union for adventurer's because the whole concept of adventuring is to eschew social constructs and live free and unfettered, sorry. "Uh, tsundere princess?" The princess was raised from birth to be poised, mature, and fair-thinking as the future ruler of the country. "What about-" No. Sorry. It's not going to happen.

ETA: I'll also jump on board with people mentioning ISSTH. Everything after the MAS Wars was just such a hard tonal shift. Reading something that grim in itself isn't bad, if it was say... in RI which had a grim tone from the start. But ISSTH shone during its comedy, and everything in the last parts of ISSTH was so dark and miserable, and so tonally distant from everything that made it so likeable, it became a chore to read. Also, so many interesting powers and spells that just got abandoned, and so many questions raised that were never answered at all - what happened to the other Time Swords!! Tell me!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  20. Luneder

Luneder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    God and Devil World. Starts out interesting then just goes down hill with the same plot cycles over and over again with serious racism and view that women are sex slaves.

The MC has been carried off by birds, boars, weird dimensional creatures, and storms at random where he then and proceeds to conquer cities and countries wherever he lands because he beheads the leaders of the cities even the ones that did nothing to provoke the MC just because the MC is a power crazed retard. He tries to make the MC sound like he is just and not racist when the MC is the worse of the bunch.

Paps likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.