Discussion the name X-MEN ,is it sexist???

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SovereignSamiul, Oct 23, 2016.

1. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

When was the horsehead guy ever named Thor?

And like i said, changing the gender of an iconic hero is stupid to me and it feels like it's politically motivated, it may not be, but to me it feels that way.

I have no problem with her having the same powers and the actual Thor not existing in her universe, just don't call her Thor and i'm good.

2. Professor Charles Francis Xavier

Professor Charles Francis Xavier Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes it is sexist. If you disagree you're a bigoted, racist, sexist, privileged white cis male.

3. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Speaking as a woman, no, it's not sexist. Don't let those 3rd wave feminazis tell you otherwise. Unless specifically stated otherwise, man/men/human refers to both man and woman. Nowadays American are all about 'political correctness' to the point where they're afraid to call a strawberry a berry as they're afraid they'd be sued because strawberries are accessory fruits and not actually berries. Americans are even afraid of snapping pictures while hugging kids because they're afraid of being arrested for pedophilia.

Before you say this doesn't happen, it does. One of my friends' cousin who took care of a toddler for one day was arrested when he posted a picture of himself lifting the toddler (fully clothed) with his hands under her armpit and his fingers covering her chest area from behind. Then he posted the picture on facebook or myspace or something with something along the line of "The cute girl I'm taking care of today". A few days later, he was arrested for pedophilia. The parents of the toddler already had a look at the picture and they didn't see anything wrong with it. Don't know what happened next, I didn't ask. Americans always go overboard with everything.

Anyway, this is not a problem with most of the world, I think. In the case of many Asian languages, we don't even use gender-specific pronouns, so there's no problem. In the case of 'human' for example, in Malay, it's 'manusia' and in Japanese, it's 'hito'. Neither of which has the word for man or woman inside it, so it's a non-issue.

Now, if you leave things to the 3rd wave feminazis, they'll expect you to make a distinction between man and woman, men and women, he and she and even go so far as to separate human with huwoman and mankind with womankind. Of course, you shouldn't take them seriously. Because next they will expect men to give women 80% of their income under the reasoning that "women are discriminated, it's only fair". You can also expect them to demand that you build women's toilet out of pure gold and have 20,000 toilet stalls each.

So don't start taking feminazis seriously. Just ignore them like you'd ignore a cat that desires attention but you couldn't care less because it's not your cat in the first place. Or for those suffering dog problems, just ignore those dogs that hump their penises against your legs and butt just because they want a different kind of attention.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    Lurking, Quillink, mir and 1 other person like this.
  4. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    beta ray bill? he's not thor. his hammer isn't even mjolnir- it's stormbreaker. i don't think they call him thor.

5. novalance

novalance Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wasn't there another comic based off the same group but alternate universe... X-Force... If they really are getting upset about it, they can switch to using that name... Honestly I hope they don't... Because political correctness at this level is just completely shit... It's as bad as how some are upset with electronics how you refer to some connectors with female and male designations(e.g. male/male RCA cable.)... Is it surprising that its the women who get offended by it...

6. Leachinator

Leachinator [Jedi master general] Most Special Snowflake

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    As far as the authors motive goes I don't really care as long as the writing is good and consistent. On the other hand you don't get a pass for bad writing just because you don't have an agenda. In my opinion you start to get problems when pushing some sort of agenda becomes more important then whatever story you are telling. I don't know if you have ever seen the remake of the Battlestar Galactica series but it is really good. Its also a great example of a very progressive show that never makes any sort of issue out of how progressive it is it just devotes all of its energy into telling a really interesting and creative version of an old sci-fi classic. So much so that a lot of people never really remarke on just how progressive it is because a lot of them didn't even notice because that wasn't the point of the show. Does that mean you have to hide any sort of social or political issue in a story if you want it to be good? Well for a great example of the opposite side of the spectrum you could look at Roots. This is a story that never at any point lets the audience forget that it has a major social and moral issue to explore. And it is constantly forcing the audience to confront a very ugly and very real aspect of human nature regardless however it still maintains a very well written and interesting narrative. I can fully understand being alienated by overzealous social preaching *cough*Ghostbusters*cough* but I feel like when something has such a long history of radically changing characters on a fairly regular basis, writing it off just because out of half a century and hundreds ret cons and alternate characters a small handfull get changed into women or black people is an overreaction. I mean if you read it and its good who care about the possible motivation of the author. same thing if it sucks.

CountryMage likes this.
  7. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Oh my god that picture makes me sick, i've only ever seen him with his own name (I forget it)

Don't get me wrong, it's a minor annoyance with a female thor not a big one, i was more annoyed at them changing the backstory on the fantastic four movie for the twins no longer being twins and one being adopted, though out of all my complaints about that movie, that was the lowest priority lol.

8. Leachinator

Reading List:
    Link
    Its been years since I was a kid who actually followed comics but feel like i rember him having a thor series I could be wrong though. But maybe a better example would the whole captain america hydra agent thing which had a whole bunch of SJWs who dont even read comics all pissed off meanwhile its the same thing thats been going on for years, some sort of magic sudo alternate dimension hooey and I doubt very many fans who actively buy and read comics even blinked.

9. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't remember the source, but I think old english had three words for people.
    woman = female human
    man = human
    ??? = male human

We don't use the word that meant male human anymore, so they get the originally neutral one.
    If that is true, then the name X-men is not sexist at all.

10. Leachinator

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh god dont remind me of that movie... and yeah most of it was poorly written and badly develope. I still cant decide which one was worse between it and rise of the silver surfer...

11. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everything has consequence.There is this incident where a man saw a child dangerously close to the water, all he did is call the police and drove off. She drown. In Planet Gym, a woman collapsed in women locker room, the male employee refuse to enter women locker room. She died moment later. In Bangalore, there is this incident where a woman collapse, men didn't help(their law state if a woman say the touch is harrassment then it is harrassment).

Professors and politicians refuse to be alone with a woman.some complained because it hinder women career advancement because there won't be apprenticeship or guiding them. Linus Tovalds, a big fish in open source industry is never alone with women in IT industry as there are multiple attempts of framing him. As a result, a memo was circulated advising those who hold senior or high position in tech industry advising to stop mentoring women or be alone with them. Hidden recordings is being done by men even if it is illegal in their place. Better be found guilty of wiretapping than be falsely accused. The whole MGTOW movement is the result of their toxicity. Funny, they created a self fulfilling prophesy and created the enemy they claim to fight.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  12. novalance

novalance Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am surprised they aren't just upset with woman... or female... it has the word man and male in them too... As for human... They will just demand that you get rid of the word human and go with homosapian... Or maybe they want to be a bit more with greek with Terran... Terran which I think is derived from the goddess Terra in roman myth. Because everything has to be girls for them. Of course, anything related with motherhood has to be torn down too. I have heard of them going to such extremes of hating on women who aspire to be mothers or stay at home moms... I guess it has to be nothing but stay at home dads for them... But, I think they even hate them to "good for nothing husband staying at home taking care of the kids..." I guess both parents have to work and have a pay for a babysitter or have grandparents take care of the children to be "okay" in their book... I mean there is so much circular logic that double backs on itself that it makes little to no sense it accomplishes nothing. That the only thing that does makes sense is that they are going through these exercises just to inflate their own ego and their idea of superiority...

Ai chan likes this.
  13. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    They wanted to change woman to womyn, and there was apparently a big stink about referring to women as female, it devalues them as people or something.

14. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    This thread was born with the intent of bait cancer, I wonder why the mods didn't just lock it.

GDLiZy likes this.