Discussion The NEW GATE MC

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Crimshine, Jan 16, 2016.

1. vekool

vekool Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He is focusing on getting back to his world. The more he reveals his strength, the more he will be bogged down on his way towards the goal. I am enjoying "New Gate" more than any other Chinese Novel because of the MC. He tries to stay low profile and helps people when he can. At the same time he is trying to get out of this world, but is developing relationships with the other characters in the series, which in the end of the novel, may weigh him down.

And secondly, nowhere in the story is he depicted as a wimp.

2. namae

namae Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    eh?

when he's angry?
    i never see him angry?

3. Crimshine

Crimshine x399 %993

Reading List:
    Link
    But in fact, I like that, it's nice to have other kind of story than :" You said that my father is weak, i'm gonna restore his honnor by killing youuuuuuuu" or "My goal in life? Fertilizing women."
    But as Shance said, the MC is useless in this world, his strengh is mostly unneeded, the only goal he has, returning home, doesn't seem to be a big concern of him. I don't feel concerned nor empathy because I don't see any big plot in the story, making his strengh very superficial.
    Well, surely. Adding that to the fact that he is the very classical dense japanese character might HEAVILY add to my dislike of him
    I think it's a Japanese novel, not a Chinese one. But anyway I just don't feel enough empathy for him. I mean, in the last world he should have been the most important player in the world, killing countless monsters to raise his strengh, having the life of all player on his back, waiting for him to save them.
    And the fact that he is aloof do that I have even less concern for him that the MC of Sword Art online novel, which is a feat.
    Well, I think that this story is just not made for me, even if I like this world

4. Aero

Aero Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is really the polar opposite of a typical chinese xianxia novel. The MC is a little bit more down to earth even compared to the typical JP LN MC. If you're expecting him showing brute force by killing them and their entire clan/bloodline/race/world if someone offended him or looked down on him, this is definitely not that. I wouldn't call him wimpy, it takes a lot of courage to walk away even if you can kill them with a single swing. He does show his abilities to help people (usually monster extermination). This type of MC is quite refreshing after reading all the hot headed, arrogant MC from other novels. So a Noble looked down on you, you extrude your force/aura/ki/etc... to frighten them, what do you think you expect from that? You won't get respect from that, you'll get fear. Anyway, like I said this is quite refreshing, I like it. I like it as much as the classic or typical xianxia like Ni Tian Xie Shen (Against the gods).

If you wan't to move away from the "classic xianxia/wuxia" novels (but still be along that "genre") might I suggest Konjiki no Wordmaster or Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyusoukyoku or Arifureta or World Customize Creator. This might be to your liking if you only want a tone down (by a notch) MC (by classic xianxia/wuxia standard).

5. NeaxD

NeaxD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh Japanese Culture is why so many MC in JP novels are very laid back and avoid trouble by being humble. I think what you want is more dialogue where characters recognize how powerful he is. Like how Weed is famous in the LMS novel but I think authors avoid it mostly in JP cause they want to avoid stroking the Ego's of the MC to make it a empowering moment for the readers.

What I want to know in a lot of these stories where a MC goes from one world to another where they are very OP and powerful why the hell do they want to go back to japan and lose all this power? I get homesickness but come on... Magic world with dragons D:. I would miss Bacon and Pizza if those were not in the world though D:. Choices, such sadness.

6. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dense? Does he even truly believe that the people around him are real?
    Progression is:
    1) Teenager plays VRMMOG, helps build top guild from service professions
    2) Game becomes DeathGame, Teenager is only central guildmember online at that time.
    3) After +1 year, victory. Hero watches as everyone exits. Note that the responsibility he assumed, and satisfied, is huge (thousands of lives!)
    4) Bright Flash - Game becomes 'real'.
    5) Story Commences . . .

The question becomes, from his point of view, how 'real' is real? Would you want to settle down with a figment of your own imagination? A figment of a random god's imagination? In a place that became your own personal Hell On Earth?
    I also dislike the various dense japanese harem protagonist archtypes, but this guy gets a pass so far because he's not looking for any romance at all, much less a harem.

7. Aero

Aero Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My guess is family/relatives and friends.

8. 12kucingputih

12kucingputih Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    be patient we know this is always be typical japanese MC carefree , low profile, kind heart, forgiving and usually dense but we can always endure it and make this as a break from ruthless, cunning and shameless xianxia or wuxia MC

9. Crimshine

Crimshine x399 %993

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand your point, I usually also like those type of MC but there is just something that don't work with him...
    Already reading/knowing all of those, but thank you
    yup you might be right, I don't need that every human in this world say things like "omg shin is so cool he killed 10 dragons in 2 min waoow" but even with his strengh he doesn't have influence on the world. There is no big interesting plot and a complete lack of danger or imminence.
    He obviously can't be known in the all world anyway because he didn't do anything at all to deserve it anyway (from where I am in the story)

10. Sansome

Sansome A Kind and Honest Villager X

Reading List:
    Link
    As for me there's nothing wrong the way he acts always stay incognito well as for you because you are craving something from the story. Xianxa-type story actually targeting single male 30 years old or so.. Like a medicine if you want to blow off some steam irl. Same as reincarnation story lover because they have some disappointment irl wanting to change their destiny yea after all that's just fantasy

11. CrispyNoodle

CrispyNoodle 『Noodle Overlo*d』『Open Pervert』『Onii-chan』

Reading List:
    Link
    hm thanks for the headsup... i've always thought about whether or not to read this work but apparently his character is the type that I am unable to bring myself to like so I'll pass this =)

12. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, a couple things that are being misunderstood here, so far. One he is not the strongest character from the game, he is ONE of the six strongest player characters, and they all focused on leveling non battle skills. Second, he isn't a dense protagonist, he sees whats going on, he understands that women have feelings for him, that people idolize him, but he can't acknowledge these things if he ever hopes to go home. Then there's how famous or how much trouble being known would be, a kingdom was founded on his doorstep, people have been trying to gain access/ownership of his house for 500 years, NPCs that were created by him (and other players) have gone on to shape the history of this world, and then to top it off he is a member of a lost mythic race.
    Anyway, his very existence could tear civilizations apart, and if his house was important enough for every government on the planet to monitor 24/7, how nosy would they be if they find out about him?

13. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Havent read this.. but thinking about reading it.. so..
    will this have many ups and down, emotional scene, ambitions, rivals of similar powers, villanous genius going after him or something similar.. ?. Or maybe its just a type of slice of life? Cause hitting the cap from the very beginning doesnt seem very exciting for a story..

14. vekool

vekool Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    AT the time of writing no. It does have a few emotional scenes and well described action sequences. The fights scenes are good. The story right now can only be described as the MC trying to make sense of the world around him. I would say - judge the novel after reading 1 or 2 volumes.

Asf likes this.
  15. anakskul

anakskul Active Member

Reading List:
    Link

Its different with reality.. where you kill someone, they really dead.
    please dont thinking Game and Reality is same.
    They hold basic, yet reality cant undone like game.
    Anyway, Are you sure you read TNG?
    The Light novel itself not giving info about How Shin crushing his enemies, PKing massively, as said in the story.
    He solo player with 6 NPC support roles.
    Remember Gerard? He is NPC, not player.
    and Only Shin Player in his guild. There are non-player (NPC) like Schnee, Gerald, dragonhuman, etc.
    maybe you wrong about that info, its like overlord. where they take over continent then pk-ing massive player, and crushing enemies with powerful cash item

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  16. Crimshine

Crimshine x399 %993

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I obviously understand the difference between the game and the reality, but there is some problems with that.

The game was a virtual reality type. At some point in the story (I think it's when he is speaking a bit about the member of his guild) it is said that the High Human in his guild were the stongest in the game, killing a lot of other guild (so, a lot of players). After that, the .//hack / SAO plot start and they are trapped in the game. Then every player is completely relying on him to save them. You can't stay a nice carefree, a bit out of the loop, kind of guy in a situation like that. He should have became some sort of general or army commander with heavy responsability, very serious. But he is not at all like that. That's what kinf of put me off the story.

But I changed the way I was seeing the story and my expectation on it. Now I'm enjoying the story a lot more. It's just that With the prologue and all that at the very beginning I was expecting a story about a Dark MC, with a bit less sane in his head being in prison for 3 years and asked to lead the whole gamers group, then seeing that aven when the game is over, an entire world is again between him and his familly.
    Now I just see the story as a nice action story not rushed like a lot of Xianxia are but just a good story to pass time

17. Raizu

Raizu An Enthusiastic Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    I have read it up to Five Divine Swords arc (Chapter 10), so far there is indeed several strong beings which is on par with the MC, but there is no such rival(s) with similar powers nor villanous genius. I don't know if there will be one in the future because the author give two hints in chapter 7 or chapter 8 which I forgot. (Spoiler ahead)

The MC "girlfriend" which suppose to be death in the Death Game, might be still alive.
    and
    the long-lived PK players (because race) is still alive in the New World.

The MC will traveling around the world and meet various things, as his companions growing strong. More important thing that the MC triggered flag of several new girls, but he is kinda like doesn't care at all. The story plot itself is quite good, since the MC discover something new about the New World on his journey. But yeah, it's really lacking on romance department. :/

The MC probably unable to move on...

Asf likes this.
  18. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as I read he was not humble. But wimp. You want humble MC? Weed is hundred times better than him. Shiroe is one of humble char as well but he know when he need to act and when he need to stay humble. There's big difference between humble and wimp. Makes his power useless.

There always way to curbstomp your adversary without reveal yourself. Like mc in deathmarch.