Novel The One and Only Hero King

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Silver Snake, Mar 15, 2019 at 1:30 AM.

1. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Novel Devourer | Fumbling Scirbbler

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, I've been, uh, feeling a bit down from my recent western fantasy reads and am in very much the mood for something fun and dare I say romantic and comedic? Anyway, I won't be promising a conclusion or an ending to this story. I'll likely keep on writing this as long as I feel this way. Really, I just want something fun and not too serious, but perhaps some specks of seriousness sprinkled throughout?

Synopsis:
    A farmhand boy (I'm not sure on the actual ages, I'm guessing 15-20) Arthur is told by the great wizard Merlin that he is the one and only hero king. But before he goes about accepting his destiny of uniting the kingdoms and vanquishing all manner of evils he wants to first obtain what he really wants, the affections of the girl of his dreams and daughter to the lord of the land Guinevere.

Genre:
    Romance, Comedy, Action?

Table of Contents
    1. The One and Only Hero King
    2. The Not so Fateful Encounter
    3. The Lady's Inner Turmoil
    4. The Maids and Meetings
    5. A Sword Would be Nice

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 10:10 PM
    raitei likes this.
  2. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Off in the field of a farm a farmhand can be seen toiling away. This was a job he would start at 5 o'clock every morning. He neither resented or bored of the work he had to do. His father and mother always did much more since they were more capable in their older age, and he was never bored because he would always have wild fantasies during his more repetitive tasks. Yes, this farmhand boy was perfectly happy as he was on this day.

That night the boy was eagerly preparing for sleep, as all people tired from a long days work do. About to shut his eyes a white flash of light like a lightning bolt manifested itself within the center of his room. With the disappearance of the flash of light came the appearance of a man. He had dark tanned skin, gray hair covered his face all around and his beard hung halfway to his hips. His garb was rustic and gave the thought of a Shepherd in appearance.

To the shocked boy, the spontaneously manifested man pointed to him, and with a sonorous voice that seemed to enclose the entire room said, "Young Arthur, you are to become the hero king," putting down his pointed hand, he lifted his other hand openly, palm side up," Come, I shall guide you towards your destiny." To this, Arthur thought to himself intensely for fifteen seconds straight.

He said, "No thanks—I mean, thanks for the offer. I'm sure not many get it. But yeah... I'm good. I'm perfectly happy the way I am now." The wizard Merlin thought to himself for fifteen seconds straight as well.

He responded, "What? What, what, what? This is unprecedented. All young men should be greedy and want their world in their pocket! Surely you want something, right?"

"Well, the only thing I want is something I'll never likely get, so I'm fine as I am."

"Out with it! What is this thing you can not possibly obtain? If I get it for you, will you become the one and only future hero king?"

"Well, alright I'll tell you. But you have to promise not to laugh." The wizard nodded furiously. "I would love to marry this noble girl in the upper district. The wizard burst out in fits of laughter, causing him to fall to his feet rolling on the ground. "Hahaha, a girl? When you become the hero king you could have your pick of the most purest, wisest, fairest of maidens, from all across the lands. Why delay your destined departure for her? What makes her so special?"

"She just is, and you said you wouldn't laugh. Anyway, help me in wooing her. I'm sure you can do something with your wizardly ways. Of course I know magic can't affect the hearts of others. So I only ask for you to create for me an opportunity or two."

"No, I can most certainly tamper with the hearts of other with my magic. Just say the word and she is yours, presto," he snapped his fingers and from it tiny fireworks popped out.

"No way, I'm not going to spend the rest of my days with a mindless zombie. It's either my way or no way. You agree or not?"

Merlin didn't have much of a choice, only one one and only hero king was born every 100 hundred years. Well, he did have a choice, but being the wizard he was, he refused to waste another 100 years waiting or looking.

"Fine." With that Merlin offered the farm boy a hand and Arthur gladly shook it. Sparks flew from their intertwined hands at increasing intensity until they were no longer in Arthur’s bedroom. Arthur looked around, confused. They were now in the garden of a mansion. The only thing similar to the last scene being the night sky. The wizard said, "Okay, she's up in that balcony, let's do this."

3. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    “Wait, wait, wait, wait. What’s going on? Where are we?”

“Is it not obvious?” Merlin gestured to their surroundings. “We’re in the garden of the manor of the young lady you mentioned.”

“How is that obvious? How did you even know who or where she was?”

“I’m a wizard. From now on, every time you ask me how I do something I’m going to answer you I’m a wizard, okay?”

Arthur stared hard at Merlin and thought, mmm, fine.

Merlin answered, “Great! Now let’s get this show movin’!”

The wizard picked up a nearby pebble and was about to throw it at the balcony window when Arthur said with hands held up, “Wait! What are you doing!?”

“What do you mean what? I’m going to get her attention. This is what they always do in the stories, right?”

“Are you mad? You can’t just go up to a girl and talk to her. That’s insanity!”

“Well, what do you suggest?”

“Okay, here’s my plan. You use your magic to make the crops grow better than ever this season. We wait until next season, when they're ripe for picking, and collect them. When the lord of the land hears of this he’ll be so happy that he’ll just have to summon my pops for a report on why things are going so good. And obviously, I’ll be tagging along. It’s the perfect plan!”

“Ugh, that seems unnecessary. I mean, we’re here, she’s over there. What’s the problem?”

Exasperated, Arthur sighed and said, “You have no tact! You can’t just talk to a girl! The first thing she’ll ask is why I’m here!”

“Why are you here?” asked a girl from the upper balcony. She wore a white dress with intricate, golden embroidered design, on her wrists were silver bracelets so abundant that they left no skin bare, and displayed prominently over her chest was an emerald encrusted necklace. Her auburn hair flowed down from her head like a fountain, obfuscating her eyes. Her eyes seemed to Arthur as if she were looking right through him. And that smile of hers, it seemed so small, yet at the same time very pleased.

Arthur looked around. There was no wizard in sight. Inwardly, Arthur sighed in relief. That’s one less question, thought Arthur. He quickly turned back to the girl, almost forgetting her entirely.

He said, “O, fair lady, doth thee knoweth thine name?”

“Do I know my name? Why are you talking like that?”

“Is that not how nobles normally talk? Whenever I went to the city I only ever heard nobles talking like that.”

“They must have been quoting a play or something. No one really talks like that unless they’re in a formal event, like a crowning or knighting.”

Arthur nodded in agreement, “I suppose that makes sense. It seems awful confusing.”

“So why are you here?”

Arthur tried to think up any number of possible excuses: He was lost, He had to talk to the lord for some important thing regarding the farm, A chicken was chasing him. But in that moment, looking at her as the light from her room glowed and gleamed down on him in the darkened garden, he could only think about her and said, “I came here to talk to you.” After saying so he smiled with a warmth and gentleness she had never seen before.

The lady was so surprised by the genuine, blatant truth of his words that she crouched on the spot, hiding her reddened face in her knees. What is he thinking saying such a thing ! she thought.

In the past other sons of lords would only talk to her in one of two ways. They were either sons of neighboring lords who thought it was a matter of course that she should like them and that they like her or the other type that were sons of lower nobles who were always unctuous in trying to gain favor with her family and not really her. Yes, in truth, she was quite inexperienced in love.

4. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    “Um, are you okay? ” asked Arthur.

Guinevere was so lost in reminiscing her past experiences that she almost didn’t hear him, except for the last syllable of “ay” he said. In response she shot back up like a soldier ordered to attention. Proper etiquette was something she was schooled in since childhood and because of this her posture and head level were absolutely perfect, making Arthur forget about her momentary lapse of attention and again admiring her noble countenance.

A hundred thoughts raced through her head in order to process what she had just heard. She recalled a memory of her five year old self sitting in the lap of her father, being bounced. After this bouncing her father raised her in the air and swung her around. Oh, how she enjoyed it. To her, it felt as if she were flying. And after doing this her father placed her back on his lap, and told her, “Remember, if a boy ever tries to get friendly with you it’s a devious trick in order to ensnare you into a plot against the crown.”

At that age she had no idea what devious or ensnare meant but she recalled how serious her father’s eyes were. Eyes likes a lone soldier, staring down the last remnant of the enemy force, ready to die for his cause, but more importantly, ready to kill. Strangely enough, Guinevere wasn’t particularly frightened by those eyes at the moment, as it felt to her as if they were looking at something past her, far in the distance, but all too close for her father.

It’s a devious trick, she thought and then looked back at Arthur determined not to blush or fall for any of his tricks. Now that Guinevere looked at him again, she noticed how large his shoulders were and seeing his face again she could only think of that smile he gave her. Again she crouched on the spot, hiding her reddened face in her knees.

After standing up again she managed to say, “I-I won’t fall for any of your tricks!” while gripping at her dress's skirt intensely with both her hands and turning her head a full 90 degrees away from Arthur's face.

I knew it. There’s no way it could have worked out. A girl like her could never like a guy like me, Arthur thought. Then he said, “I’m sorry for bothering you.” and turned to leave. When Guinevere noticed this she suddenly said, “Wait!” with an outstretched hand as if to pull him back, and continued, “Are you not trying to trick me into some devious pot?”

He replied, “What? What for?”

She said in a near whisper, “Um, to, um, overthrow the crown…”

“What? Why would I do that? That sounds silly.”

That does sound silly! thought Guinevere in agreement. It doesn’t make any sense! Why would this - she looked back at Arthur who was dressed in common peasant’s garb - fine young man want my assistance in a scheme against the crown? Realizing the ridiculousness of her previous thoughts and questions, she reorganized herself again, throwing away any and all of her previous suspicions and hesitation.

5. joey183

joey183 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    An interesting story. Quite innovative way of re-telling King Authur's legends. Love it

6. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't even know the actual legends. Really, I'm just using their names for the convenience of the plot. It basically may as well be completely unrelated.

7. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    She said, “I am Guinevere of Leodegrance.” and waited expectantly.

“Uh, I am Arthur.”

“Just Arthur?”

“I do believe so.”

Satisfied, she smiled and said, “I see.”

By the right lower corner of the mansion a maid with large, rounded glasses and raven black hair in a pony tail was peeking out of a corner, watching the two. This is unprecedented! To think the young mistress would be talking to a boy and alone at that! She had been there soon after the two met and been witness to most of what transpired.

As a maid of lord Leodegrance’s mansion, she spent most of her time doing one of three things: working, eavesdropping, and gossiping. Though tonight she swore herself to secrecy. Since she, like most women, knew the yearning for a romance, particularly an impossible one like these two had.

Poor young mistress, to fall for a peasant boy who is far below your station. I will do the best I can for you by keeping my mouth shut. This was when the maid Olivia felt a tapping on her back. She gave a start and nearly jumped out into view of Arthur and Guinevere. But she caught herself, quickly ducked back behind the corner, and turned around. Who she saw was another maid, Hannah, who had short dark blond hair and was known for being the more energetic and unwieldy of them all.

Hannah said with a sly smile, “What are you doing out here in the middle of the night?”

Olivia was unsure of how to respond, mumbling some words under her breath but unable to say anything intelligible.

The blond-haired maid poked her head out of the corner. After surveying the situation, she returned to behind the corner and said knowingly, “Mhm.”

The maid in glasses stumbled and stammered in a harsh whisper, “You-you mustn't tell anyone! If word gets around, Lord Leodegrance will find out in no time! And you know what he’ll do if he does.”

“Don’t worry. I won’t say a thing. I care for the young mistress’s happiness too, y’know.”

And so, for the next few days Arthur would visit Guinevere as often as he could, while sitting on a conveniently placed tree branch that was right beside her balcony. They talked about all sorts of things. From Guinevere’s complaints of her strict etiquette lessons he learned a great deal. Arthur couldn’t think about anything interesting about himself, so he told her about the wizard Merlin. All the way from his sudden appearance to how he was the entire reason he was there in the first place. Of course, she took it as a fictional story meant to entertain and dazzle her. He didn’t much care whether or not she believed him, more so he simply enjoyed hearing her laugh or watching her giggle. And sometimes, for no particular reason at all, they would laugh together. Perhaps it was because one of them started it and neither of them wanted it to end.

Until one day when one of the guards, who normally never patrolled the back end of the mansion, did in fact go there during his break. And what did he find!? Of course it was was the two of them chatting like a pair of star-crossed lovers!

“Halt! What do you think you’re doing, boy? This is the lord’s manor!” shouted the guard.

Hearing the unsheathing of the guard’s blade and seeing it glimmer as it was swung in the air threateningly, Arthur’s eyes widened in fear. He then looked at Guinevere as if asking what to do. She too had those widened fear-glazed eyes. Once she read his eye she told him succinctly and desperately, “Run.”

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 7:51 AM
  8. joey183

joey183 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So it's just an adaption on King Authur? It's an interesting read either way so I don't really mind if it follows closely to the legends or not.
    Thanks for the new update btw. It seems to have cross over to Romeo and Juliet?!! I really like this story. Have it on watch list.

Silver Snake likes this.
  9. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you sooo much!

joey183 likes this.
  10. SnowdropLily

SnowdropLily Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like this novel!! I am very much looking forward to more of your updates.

Silver Snake likes this.
  11. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Arthur scurried across the branch he sat, then on to a branch that was opposite to the one he was on, and from the near tip of it he bounded up onto the wall that enclosed the perimeter of the property. With his hands over the ridges which made up the top of the wall he hoisted himself up and over to the other side. Luckily, the mansion was built atop a low hill, so he was able to break his fall by rolling. Now at the bottom of the hill and still very much so within the city walls Arthur began to run for his dear life.

. . .​

Not good! Not good! Not good!

While running down one of the streets in town Arthur turned to see three armored guardsmen chasing after him. Looking back in front of him he saw a cart of manure being pulled by a donkey up the street he was running in and realized he would soon run into it if he didn’t quickly change course, so he looked left and right almost in the same instant and ran into an ally to his right.

Coming out of the ally he almost immediately bumped into a woman carrying a basket of flowers. He had to practically dive full force to the left in order for him to not slam into her. Now sprawled on the dusty dirt street the guards in pursuit of him had nearly caught up and were unsheathing their swords. Not too keen on being sliced open, he started with a scamper on all fours until he was eventually running again.

Arthur wasn’t used to the busy streets of a town. Normally, if he ever were to run, it would be out in an open field or a near empty road.

Recalling the swords that were recently in near swinging distance of him, Arthur couldn’t help but think a sword would be nice.

To your left, Arthur. Go to your next left.

“Merlin!?” shouted Arthur in surprise.

Still running, Arthur waited for a confirmation to his question but there was only silence.

He turned to the next left in the street and in his view he saw a small park-like area with green grass and in its center was a sword hilt side up stuck into a stone the size of kneeling man. Perfect!

Arthur, on closer inspection, saw that the sword seemed to be fused into the stone. He became less relieved and more reluctant with whether or not he could free the sword from the stone.

While he was looking at the sword the guards who were chasing him had finally caught up and were now approaching him in the park with swords in hand.

Now or never, thought Arthur. He gripped onto the swords handle with both his hands, settled his feet in a supporting position, and with all his strength, he pulled.

The sword slipped out as easily as if it were in a scabbard and not fused into a stone. Because of the amount of force Arthur used, he practically lunged backwards, landing on his butt with the sword held in his hands.

“The sword in the stone!”

“He pulled the sword from the stone!”

A couple of people noticed the commotion that Arthur had made and were looking in his direction ever since he entered the park.

One of the guards took a disbelieving step back and said, “It cannot be.”

Confused, Arthur looked around at the people gawking at him, and asked, “What?”