The reason that stupid MCs are better

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Asdq, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tilgarial

Tilgarial [Chaos Tiger] [Paradox] [ded][Houseplant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh, I see~
    Well, its getting close to completion, so if it was simply the post-frequenzy that made you drop it, might be worth picking up again~
    Otherwise, nevermind, haha

Karyehs and listener like this.
  2. Asdq

Asdq RSS FEED SECT! I WANT YOU FOR THE RSS ARMY!

Reading List:
    Link
    Now much more sense. They are manipulating, different of japanese that really like beta MCs.

listener likes this.
  3. pukeofhurl

pukeofhurl The Philosopher

Reading List:
    Link
    you realize the real reason smart MCs suck is the authors arent as smart as the MC = not able to actually think like a super genius would.

Edit: i dont remember who said this, but only a smart person knows that they arent actually smart.

Sordahon likes this.
  4. Asdq

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I feel sorry for the MCs that are limited by normal authors.

5. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me say some wise word that I like from No Game No Life Zero, only an stupid want to born in this world, an wise person will never want to born in this shitty world.

Asdq likes this.
  6. Asdq

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, how much more you know more you know that know nothing.

7. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems you went so deep... you came out from the wrong end of your mind. My young scholar, do not take this path lest you become like those madmen seeking invisible treasures from nowhere.

philosopher17 and Cream like this.
  8. Si Kucing

Si Kucing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is, many of em stay retarded instead of growing up...... if, at the first time the mc is stupid but over time become smarter and learn from his mistakes it would be good.... sadly most of em opted to stay retarded as thinking is a hassle....

Asdq likes this.
  9. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think many above have said that the Stupid MC is not the problem . We have novels like Ultimate Scheming System , The Strongest System and Library of Heaven's Path where MC is dumber than a stone , but they still work not because MC is dumb but because we expect them to be ridiculous and stupid .
    The blood boiling comes from MCs of novels like Immortal Mortal , Strongest Abandoned Son , etc. And it's not Just the MCs in these novels but the whole plethora of people they meet r just as ridiculous and stupid as them when they r expected to be well trained experienced and smart individuals and what do we get , A Bag of Rocks that takes a million years to change the shape of rocks by one millionth of a millimetre

Cream likes this.
  10. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    *sigh* another fallen comrade, poor chap he has succumbed to the madness of the cult of authors who's manifesto is to spurn all normies due to their utter lack in ability in talking to the opposite sex. They whom vent their angst those smarter, better looking, and most of all capable of having a normal conversation with a woman. So they sit in their dark hovels, writing of fantasy worlds where their "perfectly stupid" hero can triumph over the successful and evil ryuuji, usurped control of their nation, and become true men between the thighs of the dead eyed daughters and grief striken wifes of their fallen hatred foes. Forever after ruling over the crumbling nation they have conquered... until the next dense hero come to crush the now hated ryuuji who has many wifes and much wealth....

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Cream likes this.
  11. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the problems with those kind of novels are:
    mc do idiotic stuffs, have some plot armors to the rescue
    mc is reincarnator make it seems like a 50 years old guy showing off in front of 5 years old kids
    or when authors are the stupid ones
    there is one novel where the sect put a competition, they give some lighters to different group but not for all of them, the main goal was to fight and steal,
    mc be like: i was the best mercenary from modern world, making fire by using friction with 2 wooden stick is easy, those people from ancient time lack knowledge and such bs.And everyone praise mc as genius.
    meanwhile making fire that way is something that has existed like 10000 years ago.
    so you can tell how idiotic that setting is

Cream and Asdq like this.
  12. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have stupid MC because making smart MC requires the writer to be smart and have time to think about the plot.

It's like telling the reader that your MC has an IQ of 200. It doesn't mean the writer can think like a 200 IQ person. He would think what a very smart person would do or failing that, what he would do to make it looks smart.

In a sense, the MC reflects the author world view. Only good writer can put another person into the MC other than himself.

Cream likes this.
  13. moneng85

moneng85 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh, a character that is supposed to lived for a long time, have survived countless of wars or a reincarnator that have been reborned does not have the 'wisdom' or 'intelligence' that they should for supposedly having countless of precious experience(war, human relation and etc), but still acts like an utter moron and falls for the same "betrayal" or "traps" that can be spotted a mile away
    i would even pick an edgy or a paranoid MC traumatized by his past experiences by that point in time

Deleted member 38284 and Cream like this.
  14. Asdq

Reading List:
    Link
    Reverend Insanity talk about this.

15. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Jesus Christ. My fear is becoming reality. Even NUF starts to applaud MC's stupidity and author's poor attempt at writing.

16. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Luffy, Goku, Naruto, pretty much any SJ MC, they all have that dumby intelligence that get through things by just pushing through with guts. Not only does it help the viewer, who knows nothing about the setting, get immersed by being taught alongside MC, but character grows and gains experience. Dumb to smart MCs are pretty cool that way.

Cream likes this.
  17. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    stupid MCs are my number one reason for dropping novels....i have a lot of dropped stories on this site.

tides and Har D Rai like this.
  18. Sheenius

Sheenius Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think i get what you mean... I hope, you're talking about dense MC's, not really a retard who behaves atrocious 'cos the author doesnt know better, but a lovalble mc who just lacks comon sense. I'm thinking along the line of the MC's like the one from the Silly alchemist.
    Like someone mentioned above, Goku would fall under this Category as well.
    I pray to god you dont mean those MC's who are said to be the best and above all other, intelligent like all humanity combined, but behaving like the absolut retard who cant think 1 step ahead.

Cream likes this.
  19. vlue

vlue Jaded Isekai-Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    I like 'dumb' characters but still has the capacity to learn.

20. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    stupid mc are one of the reasons why i drop novels
    it gets really frustrating the more i read and get super irritated

there is also a problem with authors writing super intelligent MC
    these intelligent characters often seem like they can predict the future which also is irritating and eventually their power to predict the future becomes so prevalent that the characters seem stupid

and also most of these characters lose any kind of emotions sooner or later like WMW and the novel becomes not interesting to read anymore, because the mc becomes goal orientated and will never deviate from his path no matter what happens which seems robot-like

in summary, majority of CN authors just cannot write a believable character.
    a person have many sides to him yet often in cn novels, we only see one side take over completely, throwing all logic, emotions and reasoning away.

its fine if its a short novel, but often cn novels are long and covers the majority of the MC's life

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    vlue and Beste like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.