The Scum Villain's Self-Saving System fan fiction

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by alexfilia, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Gav

Gav [Fairy of the Garden of Evil]

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure nobody is going to say demonic cultivators are within the scope of Confucian ethics, though.

Nekura and readerz like this.
  2. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    The dowry belongs to the husband's family. Even if he is a mass murderer, lol. :hmm: Well, I guess she can get away with it if she really wanted to but marriage isn't like today. You don't just "marry." The man and woman's family has to arrange all the rites. If she runs off with someone, that would be as a concubine. :blobawkward: Unless she ran off with a peasant? Even then how would they do the marriage rites without her birth family?

3. Gav

Reading List:
    Link
    This is gonna be like,
    "So you had two husbands? Wasn't that against Confucian ethics?"
    She's like, "The first one was a wife murdering demonic cultivator."
    The person she's talking to will be like,
    [​IMG]

4. Gav

Reading List:
    Link
    1. About husband's family...
    Remember I said the skins looked 'familiar'?
    Them and her mother.
    2.She had the perpetually disgruntled Aoguang stand for her birth family.
    She certainly wasn't going to let the di sons or junwang fei stand for her.
    3. The demonic cultivator in question had killed a qinwang and some other royals. Some of which the emperor liked. She turned him in to Aoguang (exterminators) and got a boon. Three guesses what she used that boon for.

Nekura and Ease like this.
  5. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    The difference between a wife and a concubine is determined by how they entered the husband's family. If the woman entered with the proper wedding rites then she is the di wife. If she entered without the rites then she is a concubine.

Though a concubine isn't like what some Westerners think - she's not a mistress or a slave. A concubine is a wife, just not the main wife and her children do have inheritance rights. :cookie: But really a concubine is basically a wife, she lives in the same household and she has the same duties. :blobangel: Her children are also considered legitimate, just waaaaaay down the inheritance hierarchy after all the di sons, grandsons, and uncles.

Anyway, you asked about stupid cannon fodder plots earlier, do you still need more?

Here's one I was just reading - the classic "give me all your loots" highway robbery, bandit cultivators style. I think you haven't done one like it yet. Apparently, when low level cultivators get bored or kicked out of their sect, it's common for them to set themselves up as mountain bandits. They just prey on the humans. :blobhero:

wraven881, Nekura, Ease and 2 others like this.
  6. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    :aww: Oh never mind me, you know I just babble on and on....
    :blobparty:

Gav likes this.
  7. Gav

Reading List:
    Link
    I was using a segment from this as a reference, actually.

'She (the di wife) intentionally seperated him from his birth mother and eventually sold her away to another household when he was ten.'

Apparently this happened when his dad was dead.

Tldr, if the di wife wants to start selling off her former rivals after the husband is dead, she can do it.
    https://books.google.com.ph/books?id=oHvyAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=concubine+tongfang&source=bl&ots=kIrvg2t6Kd&sig=Ugrmm7YGD2a_PXs2Q6cTSsUhFkk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjusO7Mka7XAhXCk5QKHTLfBkQQ6AEIFzAE#v=onepage&q=concubine tongfang&f=false

8. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought depending on the dynasty a concubine had less rights and was only a step above a servant?

Gav and readerz like this.
  9. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh your source says tongfang are just bed-maids. They aren't the same as real concubines. It also says the maid was sold off. Maid is not the same as a concubine.

:cookie: That is like when a man impregnates a maid. That doesn't make her a concubine, it makes her a maid who got preggers from her master. Very common, not just in Asia. I've read quite a few Victorian/earlier lit about "disgraced" maids.

10. Gav

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I saw, it does depend on the dynasty, but then I basically just used google to put together the bitchiest junwang fei I could think of, soooo~

Lunnear and readerz like this.
  11. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    A step above is still a step above though. Even when they had less rights, they still aren't the same as maids. :cookie: Of course, it would greatly depend on the family's actual situation. A wealthy man with a barren di wife would most likely take a concubine. I mean, otherwise, he wouldn't have any heirs at all. That concubine would be treated pretty well if she had sons. (y)

Gav likes this.
  12. Gav

Reading List:
    Link
    and yet another source (glossary of one of the cnovels I was digging through) states the tongfang are the 'lowest rank of concubine'.
    /shrugs
    Plus, there's Qin Bai Lu from the virtuous wife who basically bullied her rival to death. Pretty words are pretty words but when you get down to the bedrock it means an awful lot of women are still fucked and not in the good way, once the husband dies.

I've already edited the previous posts so the tongfang all got sold. As for the shiqie, those who don't run off to live with their kids while the di sons are consolidating power/ their father's political stuff are gonna be in trouble.

I just put everything I read from eight references on blender.

13. Gav

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically, my headcanon is, the junwang fei can't off or bully the ce fei because they're from useful families in her husband's faction.

This means the majority of the shiqie who are mostly raised up tongfang (former maids) can be bullied and the tongfang can all be sold off.

Those shiqie who were from good families (bestowed by the emperor) will be kept so that she can use them as hostages against their relatives.

14. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobthinkingsmirk: Cnovels aren't a good source. Perhaps they were using "concubine" as everyone. Or just "maids the master sleeps with."

The other, more reliable sources, say

https://baike.baidu.com/item/通房丫头 says it's a maid who who is there to sleep with her master. A personal maid. :cookie:

Fuyuneko likes this.
  15. Gav

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, but this is a CNOVEL world, isn't it? :whistle:

Fuyuneko likes this.
  16. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I never said the di wife couldn't sell off the maids. In fact, I remember I pretty much said the widow is now the dowager and has almost complete control over the household now.

And tongfang aren't concubines, they are just maids. Maids who sleep with their masters are pretty common, lol. :hmm: As for the shiqie, they are also maids from what I searched. The cnovels are translated and the glossary simplified things. Saying that tongfang is a rank of concubines is wrong. The translators probably knew that but didn't want to go into the nitty-gritty of it.

17. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I just remembered:

In case there is a particular maid that the wife wants to get rid of but doesn't want to punish too harshly, she can send the maid back to her birth family. This would be considered as a charitable/good act.

:cautious: Of course, if the birth family is really poor ... lol. The family might sell the maid off themselves, how tragic!:sushi_hide:

Nekura and Gav like this.
  18. Gav

Reading List:
    Link
    /shrugs
    If they're maids, then why would the concubine in the virtuous wife be called shiqie so often when she comes from an official's family?

Bah, I'll keep going on with what I have.

19. Gav

Reading List:
    Link
    CANDY.
    ATDSVT
    While Cang Qiong had thus far avoided sending over anyone to be an official, with the very visible artifacts they had been producing, the fact that two of its cultivators from Qing Jing had participated in the war that had crushed the nomads and gained the Empire more territory, and now one more Qing Jing inner sect disciple had avenged the death of a valued qinwang and other members of the Imperial family, there was only so long that it could avoid sending anyone.

Huan Hua Palace already had one of its people placed there as they had more interaction with the mortal world.

Ostensibly, the Emperor wanted to thank the sect for its people's efforts.

Aoguang was of the opinion the Emperor wanted to get his hands on their creations and was using this as an excuse.

20. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Which concubine? I searched shiqie and to be a virtuous wife and all of the quotes I found belittling the status of the shiqie. The wife made one of the shiqie wait on her while she was eating in the second chapter: