Spoiler The Scum Villain's Self-Saving System

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by kiara8, Apr 19, 2017.

?

Will it get better

1. Yes

93.9%
  2. No

6.1%
  1. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Might need a mangadex account for R18 chapters. It used to be on Tumblr but Tumblr removed it when they removed all R18 chapters.

2. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Emmabluez and biiru like this.
  3. Sauling

Sauling Wangxian[忘羨] is my Precious OTP ( ˘ ³˘)♥

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I know there are already Extras that is being translated by Pizziccato (from Tumblr); I have the links for those who is interested. That's also where I read the extras from.

4. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    (╯✧ ∇ ✧)╯ Luo Binghe loves to ride Shen Qingqiu’s sword.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    akihiki, greedxed, RiiRu and 2 others like this.
  5. Littlemo

Littlemo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so officially there are three different translations for this novel? :eek:
    Cool!

6. Littlemo

Littlemo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone: so hey luo binghe how many children do you have?
    Lbh: I don't know, just a ton of babies

:blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:

7. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Scriptor's version (using Scum Villain's original text):

Chapter One

Chapter Two

Fae's retranslation (using the author's edited Scum Villain text):

Chapter One

Chapter Two

The original text was edited a few times so there are some slight differences if you read them side-by-side but they might be unnoticeable if you read casually like most people do.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Littlemo likes this.
  8. pizZiCcato

pizZiCcato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I translated some of the extras, you can read them here!

akihiki, greedxed and Sauling like this.
  9. Melonee_Mizu

Melonee_Mizu Looking for motivation

Reading List:
    Link
    We also have the directory that has some of the translated extras listed on there--I don't know if there are some that aren't on there that I am not aware of though. If so, I'll add them on.

akihiki likes this.
  10. castorl

castorl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I ask what the reasoning behind "Romantic to the End" is...?

11. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    She already asked me to change it to MXTX.

12. Lady Jiang

Lady Jiang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The column of mxtx at the website has the title “romantic to the end”, so I guess the localizer misunderstood it as the author’s name ( but it’s a cute mistake and I personally likes it)

readerz likes this.
  13. castorl

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess I have mixed feelings about this because I've worked in the field (though admittedly not extensively) and formally studied it, and localization is already a sensitive topic that carries a bad rap for cultural insensitivity/erasure, which I do not want to spread because there is a time and place for it. I would not really call this version a "localization;" localization requires you to understand what the source language is going for in order to find an equivalent replacement in the target language.

MXTX (Mo Xiang Tong Xiu) has absolutely no relation to any of the words in "Romantic to the End." The literal translation is along the lines of "Ink is fragrant, copper smells," and actually contains quite a bit of historic humor on scholars and the sword. I'm sorry but this kind of very basic mistake leads me to believe the person doing the 'localization' doesn't actually know any Chinese and is just taking shots in the dark based on the previously released, MTL-assisted translation. If you do not even know the name of the author of the series you are working with, I don't really know what to say.

Edit2: The below has been proven false, but my criticism of the localization itself still stands.
    Edit: On other platforms, there have been discussions about this that pointed out something very concerning. This localized version lifts heavily from Scriptor and Faelicy's translations, both of whom did not give their permission or approval, or even know about it, despite this claim:
    [​IMG]
    This is plagiarism. This is profiting off of plagiarism, as BC Novels has ads on the localized version's pages.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    niksnaks and Neelambori like this.
  14. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Wot? Scriptor has approved the localization and also approved posting on BC Novels. Fae wasn't asked since, as far as I know, the localization is based on Scriptor's. I have proof but it's on private messages so I don't want to post the screenshots of my convo with Scriptor.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  15. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    :eek: I wouldn't listen to whatever people say unless it's @scriptor herself...

16. castorl

Reading List:
    Link
    This is from the cnoveluv About page https://cnoveluv.wordpress.com/about/
    [​IMG]
    I don't know what to tell you, but "I dunno about this localisation or whatever" is pretty different from "Scriptor has approved this localization."

17. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    So? I don't get what you're saying since it seems to me that, in fact, Scriptor is saying that everyone ought to contact me (BCNovels) since the project is now turned over to me. There's nothing there about plagiarism, lol.

You know, "other platforms" are full of trolls and drama queens. :whistle: I only spend time on NU since the community here is better. I hope people don't start their drama bs here.

Idk why people would even think for a moment that I would do this without Scriptor's go-ahead. FYI, Scriptor was the first to translate this and I only took over the project after she bowed out and with her full permission. I also have full authority to post whatever I want on https://cnoveluv.wordpress.com as the latest post is actually signed ~Reika (that's me, btw).

To clarify:
    • Playerprophet asked me if she could localize
    • I told Scriptor who said "okay"
    • Playerprophet did all the work without consulting me or Scriptor on the edits
    • I posted on CNoveluv
    • I posted on BC Novels
    • Scriptor also gave permission to post on both Cnoveluv and BCNovels
    • I've basically taken over everything and Scriptor is no longer active

Nonetheless, I wouldn't have allowed the localization without Scriptor's explicit permission which she gave over private messages.

Emmabluez likes this.
  18. castorl

Reading List:
    Link
    Being handed the reins to a project and being able to post whatever you want on the site does not equate to being able to do whatever you want with the previous translations. Regardless of that, what you claimed is very different from what Scriptor herself wrote?

Please don't deflect. I have quoted nothing but what you have posted yourself and what was on cnoveluv.

19. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL how do the quotes say plagiarism?

Fine, since this is pissing me off, I'll post the proof. I honestly would prefer not to since it's on private messages but I feel like this drama needs to stop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope that is now clear. I won't post again since drama just drains my energy and I don't need that. (y) I'm really rather offended that someone would accuse me of not getting Scriptor's permission since I've always been careful about that.

As you can see I got permission for both editing and publishing on BC Novels and CNoveluv.

RiiRu and Emmabluez like this.