Spoiler The Scum Villain's Self-Saving System

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by kiara8, Apr 19, 2017.

?

Will it get better

1. Yes

93.9%
  2. No

6.1%
  1. snakeandladders

snakeandladders Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Could someone list the Liu Qingge --> Shen Qingqiu moments throughout the novel? I'd like to know...for research purposes...

busyoldfool and Shizuka15 like this.
  2. pizZiCcato

pizZiCcato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm. Listing them all would be pretty hard but some remarkable ones (that I remember clearly, at least) were:
    - saving SQQ's hide when SHL attacked Qiong Ding (do keep in mind that at this point, their relationship was still terrible)
    - was ready to declare war against the other sects to protect SQQ in Jinlan City (only stopped because he respects YQY and he told him to back down (so YQY could step up to protect SQQ himself))
    - readily jumping in to help out SQQ in Huayue City
    - fought for SQQ's corpse for FIVE ENTIRE YEARS with LBH despite always losing
    - immediately went to chase SQQ who had been taken by LBH after exiting secluded meditation
    - refused to let LBH share a room with SQQ (Quoted directly, "That guy could hold a corpse for five years. Now that the living person was standing in front of him, who knew what kind of things he would do?") after he retrieved SQQ and LBH from TLJ and ZZL
    - kept SQQ's folding fan for FIVE ENTIRE YEARS and returned it in perfect condition
    - openly fought the other sects to protect SQQ (YQY started first, and LQG followed his lead because it meant YQY was giving him permission to do this)
    - was the one to find SQQ (and, by extension, LBH who was holding onto him and refusing to let go no matter what) after the fiasco with TLJ
    - found SQQ's fan yet again (prolly went through hell to find it because there was literally no way to tell where it had fallen off in the fight)
    - basically always had SQQ as his priority

Some stuff from the extra:
    - followed SQQ to fight a cave full of succubi
    - got flustered when the succubi's leader, a skilled fortune-teller, described SQQ's lifelong partner and mistakenly thought that he was the one being described (younger age and lower seniority, terrible first meeting that incites hatred but it all changed due to an important event, often hangs around him and they've saved each other's lives, doesn't care much about others but would give their all once they've set their eyes on someone, very attractive, extremely talented, high spiritual energy, prominent title with an honorable bloodline, the two of them might be separated for a short while but will always be reunited through the other party's initiative in chasing SQQ)
    - refused to let SQQ go when he got doused in aphrodisiac and seemed to seek his help in solving the problem (well, he said that the problem would be solved if SQQ just let LQG beat him up but BRO THAT'S NOT GONNA WORK)

I think it's also worth noting that LQG's LBH-radar is amazing and he seemed to always be able to tell when LBH was nearby or just left
    And he's always the one who gets most worked up whenever LBH is mentioned

(can we talk about the fortune-teller's description that hit too close to home for LQG)
    (so LQG is the type who 'doesn't care much about others but would give their all once they've set their eyes on someone')
    (can we talk about this)
    (please)

(also LQG thinks of himself as 'very attractive' can we talk about that too lol)

I LOVE THIS GUY OKAY HE'S SO ADORABLE
    SON I'M BEGINNING TO THINK THAT YOUR EXISTENCE IS ILLEGAL

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  3. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    I think LQG is smoking hot! *fans herself*

Seriously though, I feel like LQG's existence is very lonely. All he knows is fighting and he has no girlfriend (or boyfriend) lol. For a long time, he didn't have any disciples either since Bai Zhan Peak just has a bunch of disciples who he traditionally doesn't mentor. I find it somewhat significant that the one disciple he does become somewhat closer to is the one that SQQ recommended to him. :LOL: Could it be that SQQ's every word is like gold to him?

Even so, I feel like LQG isn't really "in love" with SQQ. It's more of an attraction, IMO, but not really true love.

I feel that makes the ending happier since LQG can still go off and find his own happiness with a romantic partner. (y)

choco-tan99, Chuyin, Aeli and 4 others like this.
  4. snakeandladders

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for taking the time to list these moments. I'm suffering just reading these lol.

When that extra gets translated, I'm probably going to explode. LQG is so moe, so cute, I can't take it!

Ahhhhhhh, my heart.

LQG deserves to find happiness too. ;A;

earp, busyoldfool, Chuyin and 2 others like this.
  5. snakeandladders

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, reading this makes me wonder if shizun is the real harem protagonist of this novel...

6. pizZiCcato

pizZiCcato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aaaah I know right? His entire life revolves around beating people up. Heck, SQQ suspects that he doesn't even know how to pleasure himself (thus suggesting that beating SQQ up would solve his 'problem'). And Yang YiXuan, oh, LQG actually mentored this guy directly! My heart, ughhhh
    He must really take SQQ's words to heart, yes he does

As for the nature of his 'love', I'm not sure whether to call it romantic or brotherly. Both are fine with me, but one thing is for sure: he would go against the world for SQQ, and that's one of the most amazing things ever.

I do hope LQG finds his own happiness though. Or maybe he's asexual and/or aromantic, who knows? But my son deserves so much happiness QQ

7. Chuyin

Chuyin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Silently grows mushrooms in a corner, sobbing from feelings of love and gratitude*

akihiki, readerz and scriptor like this.
  8. scriptor

scriptor 『Sigilmaster』 『Immortal Sage』

Reading List:
    Link
    LQG is a precious, angry cinnamon roll and no one can convince me otherwise. Even if he yells the equivalent of 'fight me!' a bit too often lol...

Personally, I think he only has a crush on SQQ/SY (one that he's unconscious of) and it never goes further.

May he find a loving waifu or husbando in the future~

P.S. There are a few Chinese fics I've seen that play around with the idea of Yang Yixuan/Liu Qingge. LOL

9. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    'the Bai Zhan Peak and the Qing Jing Peak are partners in crime' <---- coming soon, this hilarious line somehow made me laugh a lot because it's totally true! LOL, whenever SQQ is up to his usual shenanigans, LQG is always there as his backup and is normally the one who has to come to his rescue, rofl!

But now that SQQ and LBH are back together then I suppose LBH will be the one by SQQ's side. IMO, this is the primary reason why LBH is intensely jealous of LQG. Everyone knows that the Lords of Bai Zhan Peak and Qing Jing Peak are particularly close. *laughs*

Pretty Yunita, Aeli, akihiki and 9 others like this.
  10. scriptor

scriptor 『Sigilmaster』 『Immortal Sage』

Reading List:
    Link
    ...like that extra from SQH's POV of pre-Abyss events.
    Poor Bai Zhan Peak disciples wanting to puke at seeing LQG and SQQ getting along. :blobjoy:

Aeli, akihiki, Shizuka15 and 5 others like this.
  11. snakeandladders

Reading List:
    Link
    In this sense, maybe it's good LQG/SQQ didn't happen, because otherwise their world will just drown in diabetes-inducing sweetness lol (even more than with LBH/SQQ).

Chuyin, readerz and busyoldfool like this.
  12. busyoldfool

busyoldfool Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love EVERYTHING about this list, thank you so much! Extra love on Qingge’s point about not letting Binghe share a room with SQQ though - that was simultaneously hilarious and on point. :blobrofl::blobjoy:

The fortune teller extra probably ties with the Bingge vs. Bingmei episode on my favorite list. LQG’s tsun is just too cuuuuuteee.
    (On the description hitting close to home - note that this also means LQG agrees that he’s the one that always seeks out SQQ :blobsmirk:)
    (As for LQG thinking himself as “very attractive,” well, he’s undisputedly one of the famous male beauties in that verse right? It’s not egotistical if it’s a fact lol lol lol)

I can’t really decide what to make of LQG’s feelings for SQQ (whether it’s love or just a crush) but I do agree that he probably doesn’t even realize it (only got fighting on his brain) so I think he’ll be ok. Besides, unrequited love doesn’t always have to be painful (think Tomoyo from Cardcaptor Sakura) - LQG might really disapprove of LBH, but imo in the end he just wants SQQ to be safe and happy.

LQG’s and LBH’s dynamics is actually one of my favorite things? Dare I describe it as the tension between a daughter-in-law with her disapproving mother-in-law? :blobjoy::blobjoy::blobjoy:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  13. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    LQG's attitude is like that of a doting parent who has to watch as his beloved, spoiled little daughter (SQQ) starts going out with the gangster from the wrong side of the tracks (LBH). :LOL:

Maybe LQG feels that "beast" LBH should be beneath SQQ's notice... I mean, if you look at it from everyone's POV, LBH is hardly the ideal lover, especially seeing as most people probably still believe that he was responsible for:
    • the plague caused by the demon sowers
    • framing poor, poor SQQ
    • doing who-knows-what in the water prison, making SQQ run away even though he was willing to be imprisoned at first
    • killing the Hua Huan Palace disciples
    • sleeping with SQQ's corpse (LQG was super disgusted!)
    • etc.

Aeli, akihiki, Shizuka15 and 8 others like this.
  14. busyoldfool

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, that take is hilarious too.:blobReach:
    Especially the part about SQQ being the beloved spoiled daughter (he does get into trouble a lot...). Qingge is the exasperated parent that always bails his trouble magnet daughter out! :blobmelt: Poor LBH - his rep so tattered (though he probs don’t care so long as Shizun is with him).

Now I kinda want to read a fic where the characters in the “Proud Demon Way” watch this LQG and SQQ’s interactions (yes, we have that airplane extra, but consider how much more brain break there would be if they had SJ and the other LQG present for comparison).

15. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    Other LQG before he died in the original, I guess? LOL that would be funny!

akihiki, choco-tan99 and busyoldfool like this.
  16. busyoldfool

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it would definitely have to take place before things went up in flames. Ideally it would make people second guess on what exactly made SJ so much pricklier (and then we can have a fix-it au!).

akihiki and readerz like this.
  17. spearpoint

spearpoint Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That list of LQG/SQQ(SY) canon moments was so good I'm afraid it will hit my brain and dislodge what I'm currently working on. A day or two ago I said I was working on a Shen Yuan/original LBH modern AU fic but now I dropped work on that to work on a original SQQ/ original LBH canonverse au fic that's basically a different version of a premise I've already spoken about. Ugh, in the end I'm a big sucker for original LBH/original SQQ to the detriment of other things. Hmm, since I already explain my "whipping boy" Shen Jiu headcanon I might as well explain another headcanon, which is something I'm making up just for the purpose my OG!SQQ/OG!LBH canonverse fanfic.

In Chapter 3 of the English translation of TSVSSS there is a paragraph about LBH refusing to play with Ning Yingying because he has chores:

Even with a face full of sweat, Luo Binghe didn’t rub it off and continued to chop trees. He said: “It won’t do. Martial brother instructed me. After taking care of today’s firewood I still have to jump in the water [9]. If I finish chopping wood faster, I’ll have time to cultivate some more.”

There is a mistranslation, where it says “jump in the water” it should say something like “to carry [pails of] water on a shoulder pole” because translator mixed up 挑水 tiāoshuǐ (carry on shoulder pole + water) with 跳水 tiàoshuǐ (jump + water, aka diving).

In canon, LBH does these physical tasks that do not require literacy. My headcanon is, what if LBH was illiterate. I just like the strong contrast of LBH being a Qing Jing Peak disciple yet functionally illiterate. I hope nothing in canon contradicts this nonsense I made up for epic drama. But really, who taught LBH how to read and write? Even in fantasy ancient Chinese setting, the possibility of a woman who washes clothes for a living being literate is very low. So he didn't learn from his mother and it's not like schooling was free and accessible to poor orphan boys. While he was at the rich household? IDK, Maybe the first time he touches the Demon Heart Sword it teaches him human and demon script because it's a massive cheat.

In my fic, OG!SQQ discovers OG!LBH's illiteracy because SQQ gets poisoned by a monster and loses his voice and he can't speak again until it naturally wears off. In the meantime he uses a scroll and brush to write, and he waves it in front of LBH, who admits he can't read it.

It's sheer dramatic funny-sad potential. SQQ was so negligent that he didn't notice the disciple he stole from being sorted into Bai Zhen Peak, is illiterate. LBH knows SQQ didn't notice it before or he would have long mocked him for it. Also LBH is badass for compensating and hiding it for so long, which is tragic at the same time.

Upon the reveal, LBH acts like his illiteracy was a good thing because he can weaponize it against SQQ. He threatens to tell everyone and it would embarrass SQQ more than it would him, it would damage his reputation as a teacher and that of Qing Jing Peak, the scholar peak.

SQQ reacts by deciding to teach LBH how to read and write before he loses all face (and SQQ has to do this while not being able to speak). He locks LBH into his personal study/bamboo house and makes him study all night. so...there's really weird rumors that get around. People end up thinking SQQ is using his disciple as a boy toy and out of all the things SQQ can be legitimately criticized for, he didn't do that, but his ability to properly defend himself is seriously hampered because he literally has no voice at the moment and he keeps refusing to let LBH out of his house because LBH might blab about being illiterate.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Wen Rou, Ann-i, akihiki and 6 others like this.
  18. morticia_addams

morticia_addams Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any links

readerz likes this.
  19. spearpoint

spearpoint Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have 3 TSVSSS oneshots posted onto Archive of Our Own:
    Two are MBJ/SQH and one is original LBH/original SQQ

https://archiveofourown.org/users/spearpoint/works

I honestly only have 10% of what I've written posted at the moment. The other 90% is unpolished stream of consciousness mess stuff but are nonetheless words. My longfics are disasters.

morticia_addams, Chuyin and readerz like this.