LCD The Tutorial Is Too Hard

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Jaiki, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Deleted member 159111

Deleted member 159111 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It actually says in korean.

[그냥 죽이시죠.]

전음으로 성검에게 이유를 물었다.

왜.

[그냥요.]

so it would be literally
    lets just kill them (Lets is implied)
    (i) asked the holy sword why (through voice transfer without talking)
    Why.
    Just because.

I'm just new to this translating novel thing and i have no idea how to make that better. Sorry

anonnovelupdates likes this.
  2. moridin84

moridin84 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read your translations at all. I've been seriously burned by the MEMORIZE translations and am not willing to give Korean translations the benefit of the doubt at the moment. I wouldn't take the one or two people that post on this forum as a definitive opinion though. Most people wouldn't check this forum.

Umm, so it seems like you are the translator of 177 that is on NovelMultiverse? I don't think it is a good thing to post the translation online twice, unedited and edited. Or at very least you shouldn't put it up on novelupdates twice.

If I see a new chapter of a novel I like on novelupdates then I want to read it. I want to double check to see if it's from your blog or from NovelMultiverse.

Also, I sometimes check my "Reading List" to see if I missed an update. Right now I see that I'm at 176 while the latest chapter is 180. Normally that means I'm 4 chapters behind but I'm actually only 1 "edited" chapter behind. So it's more annoying to keep track of new chapters.

I don't know Korean so I don't understand the problem but how do the existing translations handle it?

Also, an hour doesn't seem like a long time to translate a chapter. For some of the decent translations I've read, they sometimes say that they take a few hours to translate a chapter. I imagine part of that is them rereading their chapter from the perspective of a reader.

MrPhatPhuck and anonnovelupdates like this.
  3. Deleted member 159111

Reading List:
    Link
    That's fine. I'm new to actually translations so I don't think you should try mine if you were burned from another translation.

yeah i think it was a bad idea to put the unedited stuff on novelupdates.

i talked to boko and she said she kinda regrets practically transliterating for this author. I like the author too much to try and change his sentences more than i need to though.

4. twinklecake

twinklecake Professional Freeloader

Reading List:
    Link
    It's pretty basic knowledge that you can't carry over phrasings as they are across languages without ending up with nonsense, especially if it's between vastly different languages like English and Korean. You actually have to rewrite sentences entirely if you don't want to end up with MTL-tier garbage. Since you didn't do that, the results are unreadable.

5. Deleted member 159111

Reading List:
    Link
    you don't have to read mine if you don't want to. Also if you actually tried google translate on anything longer than a paragraph, you would know it wouldn't even come close. But yeah I'm probably going to just translate it however i want in english for the future chapters. It takes less time and effort than what i'm doing right now and cross referencing the feel and words in english to the korean original to make it closer to the original

6. janoi

janoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    anyone got link for 177? I follow in NU for the 'NovelMultiverse' Group and it keep show up error.

Edit: nevermind I got it. I went to their main page then the chapter.

7. Concernedcitizen

Concernedcitizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now i understand why it sounds MTL.
    Through my intensive research of korean language (kdrama and more kdrama)
    It would sound like (not sure for the romanization of the sound)

Weyo (why?)

Kinyang (just because / no reason / just want to)

8. Deleted member 159111

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup that's exactly it.

9. twinklecake

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, I guess my wording was a little bit harsh there, but I'm glad you got what I was saying.

10. djshadow

djshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NovelMultiverse could use some editors, so if you want to help please do, so we can avoid making mistakes like the sword thing. lol

11. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if it's been edited, but I personally didn't have any problems reading any of the new chapters.

12. TheDeadApostle

TheDeadApostle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty readable to me. You can't even mention machine translations in the same sentence since you can actually tell what's going on.

13. GingerWyrm

GingerWyrm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The editing on noveluniverse could be improved. The holy play should be holy sword example was pointed out. There was also a paragraph that was repeated but had some grammar improvements in the second version. The main issue with these translations is that they aren't polished enough, the actual translations are pretty solid. A lot of people are reacting negatively to the lack of polish and attributing it to the translation, when it is typically some proofreading and editing errors.

14. twinklecake

Reading List:
    Link
    If something that oozed a polished, quality feeling for 176 chapters suddenly turns into something that reads like a guy thoughtlessly shit it out without looking over it twice, you're going to have some unhappy people.

MrPhatPhuck likes this.
  15. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    Welc om e tot hec omm unity. (This is MTL:blobcheeky:)

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep The laziest and the King of Procrastination

Reading List:
    Link
    My first language is Italian, which has a pretty different structure from English, so I'm habituated to reading something that sounds strange, but native speakers might find off-putting reading something different to what they are used to; but it's a stylistic choice up to you to decide what's best, I wouldn't mind either way.
    Thanks and happy holidays to you too.

17. anonnovelupdates

anonnovelupdates Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    English phrasing sounds good to me. If this isn't causing drama with Light Novel Bastion then I'm all for it. If it's sniping then I'm not a fan. On the other hand, LNB hasn't been focusing on this one as much as some other series lately, so maybe they are over it?

Question) How much to get the raws? $1? $100? $1000? How much per chapter? I'm on patreon and can chip in.

18. Deleted member 159111

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi,
    So i talked to the previous TL Boko from LNB and one of their management/editors. I got a 'go ahead' so I'm just trying to churn out as much and let the proofreader/editor deal with the rest.

It costs .10$ per chapter and theres *edit 380 chapters. so it isn't too much but large enough of a chunk that it's costing me money since I read it while it was free.

Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays
    -James

19. MrPhatPhuck

MrPhatPhuck Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What the fuck $10 a chapter and there are 380 chapters?????? That’s $3800 total for the story. That’s fucked I don’t think I’ve ever heard of ANY site charging $10 a chapter.

20. GingerWyrm

GingerWyrm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There a period there. So 10 cents a chapter if I'm reading correctly

runsing and twinklecake like this.