Question The worst Popular Novel out there, and why.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by adrielpirate, Mar 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrielpirate

adrielpirate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sometimes I ask myself, who reads Mechanical God Emperor and God and Devil World and why... seriously... why????

2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    God and devil world started out promising, apocalypse, game system, lolis. :blobpeek:

3. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically most of the Xianxia works that I read. From Goose Five, IET and other CN works.

JP novels that are popular just because they have "harem" where the MC so beta that EA releases him early and calls every patches a DLC.

Then there is the KR Grind to Godhood plus Ice Cold MC shitsicle, I read novels to chill, not to read about someone grinding. Also I am sure that there are sublime messages that you should submit to the chaebols, the whole listen to authority thing is just as bad as it is in CN.

4. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of WW's most viewed webnovels are the shittiest novels with decent ones not as popular. Martual God Asura, Against the Gods, Emperor's Domination, Talisman Emperor, etc. is absolutely shit but is popular
    Death March is trash and is somehow extremely popular to weebs
    Reader is a recent Korean novel and it was bland as hell but people praise it. It's a generic novel with the premise being a boomer's wet dream(aaahhh he reads books yeeeeess)

5. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Martial God Asura is really popular, but I think the writing is not very good. I read the first... 900 or so chapters? There were fewer choices back then, and it was (and is still) translated relatively quickly. But its popularity in both English and Chinese is surprising to me.

6. Eve

Eve Title under construction

Reading List:
    Link
    God and devil world used to be nice. But it was only on early chapters.

7. NeurogamiPrime

NeurogamiPrime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate god and devil world because the apocalypse happened 3 days ago and the mc stumbles on a biker gang that has apparently already made a killing off selling human meat like they been working on it for about 2 monthe. I had problems with that

8. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    This right here perfectly describes half the Asian novels out there. The authors delegate exactly 0 brain cells to the timeline and story, then they become popular by throwing up 100’s or 1000’s of garbage chapters.
    The worst part is how it actually buries the occasional good one under all the vomit.

Thecomicgeek and imK like this.
  9. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to agree with you on the timeline bs nonsense. I had to hard stop a novel that had the mcs bf impregnate give birth to and subsequently get killed by a women who didn't even care who he was in a period of 1 year. The author literally had to make the mc bf say I know for a fact its mine i checked the bloodline myself. Shit made me so mad not because I felt for the character being killed off. I couldn't care more about them it's about all the shit that had to happen especially since the girl was cheating on the best friend.

imK and Fallion like this.
  10. Jasad

Jasad ...not oldschool, just old...

Reading List:
    Link
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder....everyone has their own opinion about a novel...:blobexpressionless:

11. Npc170

Npc170 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is gonna sound crazy but for me it emperor domination.
    It start out strong but as you go forward it get formulatic and this never change.
    Over the course of 3000+ chapter i just couldn't continue to read any more because you know what happen next already and it got stale and boring.
    I give you an example right now from my review of it
    Li quiye rant about how great he is > arrogant young master/mistres get piss and challenge him > he slap them with plot armour or his op power level > arrogant bitches ancestor or sect show up for revenge > he slap them too > they say sorry and beg for their life > he spare them or kill them all > rant about how great he is

philosopher17, Muspon and Sparteh like this.
  12. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cream of the crap. WW has mostly shitty novels. Especially the most recent wave of additions was terribad. Except dungeon predator. That novel is great. And with that I mean so hillariously garbage that it is good again. As for the actually GOOD novels? WMW, CoS and maybe divine throne of primordial blood. The rest is either mediocre (like pretty much all of Er Gen's stuff) or straight up landfill on fire level (ATG, AST, MGA, ED, SOTR, and all of the female mc ones). Ironically the translator of SOTR has a side project which manages to do the impossible: A chinese novel with a female MC which smh does not suck.

13. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    Invisible Dragon
    It makes me feel like
    [​IMG]

Fulminata likes this.
  14. Dezel

Dezel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Scum Villain starts okay and later becomes absolute trash, yet it's bafflingly popular, even with people who don't normally read web novels.

15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It makes sense.
    Without an editor, stories more than 500 chapters get bad fast even World of Cultivation suffered from this.
    I simply read the final two chapters to get closure and it was pointless.

Reverend Insanity seems to be the odd one out but the story most likely has an editor even if the editor is the author

16. Dragon-sama

Dragon-sama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well its selling point is that it takes craziness to an
    EXTREME level. Its so messed up that u wanna know whats next. Well thats the point i guess.

17. kingtaoist

kingtaoist New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL i agree with you on this assessment. however, it is not like they start off really bad at the beginning. most novels start off with a really good premise for around a hundred chapters, then the quality drops as though they were falling off a cliff. i think it is because the authors have thought of the progression of their novels up to a certain point and then things go crazy since their ideas cant keep up with the release of their chapters, and also because they get paid according to the novels word count, which is very annoying -- i blame it on the system of payment. there are a lot of words and conversations that should have been omitted if they went through a normal process of publishing a book with the help of their editors.

yes there were fewer choices back then. and i am still reading MGA and ATG and just want to finish it since i have already finished reading all of the original novels from WW other than these two. and i think it is not just because there were fewer choices back then, it is also due to the unique style and pacing of the novels that caught people's attention. however, for people like us who started reading and consuming these kind of novels from the very beginning, the uniqueness of these novels have become common place and boring at the same time. moreover, there is also an expectation that no matter how great the premise is at the beginning, the quality will eventually drop off and we end up dropping them.

18. Yamcha

Yamcha Friendnemy

Reading List:
    Link
    Death March, Isekai Smartphone, Moonlight Sculptor, The Gamer and 90% of Chinese works, basically anything that is too dumb or plot flawed.

philosopher17 and Mnotia like this.
  19. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You guys underestimate the power of 4 digit chapters.

At some point, you'll realize that the novel is good not because it's great, but because there are still too few translated chapters for you to see how bad is it.

So in the end, we'll just find something to make life more tolerable by immersing ourselves to 4-digit chapters of bloody cough inducing novels.

Muspon, Yamcha and Mnotia like this.
  20. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree my brother

Ginko Biloba and Yamcha like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.