Question The worst Popular Novel out there, and why.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by adrielpirate, Mar 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Different tastes I guess I just want more non romance,yuri,yaoi, or cultivation novels(especially that one seems like 9/10 novels here is cultivation.

2. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not going to care if a novel is popular on NU (or other similar limited communities). Instead, I'm going to go with a book that's very popular in the real world: Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan. This is the preeminent post-'80s wuxia novel and has spawned manhua and two different TV shows. The problem is that, while I can't say that this book is awful, it's still not very good. The characters aren't particularly great, the plot is silly and asks too much of the audience to buy into, and even the conflicts and themes are on the flaccid side.

3. Sparteh

Sparteh The Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    It is not strange at all. There are many novels that people woldwide agree to be trash: MGA, PMG etc. However, even when it comes to comparing ED with those novels, ED is worse, much much worse.
    For arguments sake, lets compare ED and MGA, because they are both similar length and similarly are considered to be garbage. Both are never ending, but at least MGA made some progress in terms of the plot. When it comes to side characters, MGA there are at least a few whose names is worth to remember (harem members), but what about ED? None, there isn't a single one. Every arc we get dozens of new characters, and there are usually 3 main ones: supreme talented beauty who acts like a maid and who we never see after their arcs again, the most talented young master and strongest ancestor, which are killed by MC. Basically, the biggest problem is that there is 0 progress in any aspect. Heck, it even gets worse. I don't remember the chapter, but there is this one arc around 3.3-3.5 k chapters. Those who read it, will understand what I am talking about.

The only reason why I still keep that trash in my reading list is because I have to admit, that some skills/techniques are pretty cool, but honestly, that is all.

4. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well to me its pretty normal that most books you will read wont be good, when authors are incetived to get numbers or not even that and not quality thats what you get, i like harem novels even more if there is mc going to some kind of godhood or some bs, but its really hard to see an author that tries to make the world interesting, that stop making protagonists that just don't fit even more if they are trying to be a bit serious, they force several situations and personality that just make it unlikeable a lot of times

I do like fullfiment novels but i don't think its a excuse for not being able to develop the novel into a more quality, well thought story most of the popular arent like that just like most novels out there

5. ishaan

ishaan I Eat Potatoes

Reading List:
    Link
    wait, moonlight sculptor is chinese ?!

6. drewjn

drewjn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe he meant the ones listed, and then included 90% of Chinese works. Not that he was saying the ones listed prior were Chinese; considering that the first two were Japanese, and later two Korean.

Considering one of which is a webtoon, not a novel... W/e people should enjoy what they enjoy. Aside from agreeing that Isekai Smartphone is trash, the other 3 have their own values (depending on what you are looking for.

Araenn likes this.
  7. ishaan

ishaan I Eat Potatoes

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks for that!

8. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No incentive to do better works aside of word count or just to make something nice, tbh i think a lot of the high rating come from people in their teens there is a lot of young people that read WN, and i honestly believe that standards for novels keep getting lower with the years, I've seen lots and lots of potential in many works that were throw away, in fact, that happens to be the most. I've dealt with while i don't think any author should start being good it's different when all their works have no improvement

Btw there is also something with translators picking works that have the same thing all the time, it's not even that i like it, but China,Korea, and Japan have tons of novels, but i see translators picking up the same kind of works most of the time, and i'm like "????", i know it takes time to translate many will do it as a hobby but if you want to get more support and grow a bit you will need to risk a bit and try something else < - don't put any translator that pick up a work because others asked/voted for it or they just like the work and want to translate it here

Yamcha and 0000000 like this.
  9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is that tackling different kinds of works is usually not rewarded with readership so translators will inevitably give up - it's the reason why almost no wuxia or historical novels are translated any more. At least that's true of Chinese web novels. When it comes to Japanese web novels, all the popular ones get translated. The reason it all looks the same is because that's what the Japanese readers find popular as well. Other kinds of books do exist, but they're not that popular in Japan either so it's no surprise that they don't find translators.

EndlessAbyss and Fuyuneko like this.
  10. Ginko Biloba

Ginko Biloba [♤Blackjack Sect Mascot♤] [☆100MB SPAMMER☆]

Reading List:
    Link
    I might get killed by people who likes this series.....but in my opinion the worst popular novel out there is that novel starring Bakarina.
    This novel has already been adapted to an anime but I can't really see what is good about the story. The MC is so dumb to a point that I can't call it cute but still MC manages to charm anyone and everyone. To top it all the story progresses without the MC's input......the MC remains clueless to everything and despite being someone reincarnated she doesn't show any progress in her mental age that it makes me wonder if she recieves proper nutrition that can help her in nurturing her IQ.
    Until now I wonder why did it get an anime adaptation meanwhile the true good novels remain buried somewhere and unknown to everyone.

otaku31 likes this.
  11. eyeZach90

eyeZach90 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Bakarina alt (Edge of Destruction) was better since she reincarnates near the start of the game and cant just befriend every character from the get-go.

12. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I noticed you asked "out there" (world) instead of "in here" (this website that deals with translated asian novels).

So the answer to your question is that the worst highly popular novel out there is Twilight Saga. How can it have 4.7/5 stars on amazon is beyond me.

mlem mlem likes this.
  13. Number One Dumpling

Number One Dumpling 『Mrs. Bread's』『hibernating』

Reading List:
    Link
    Legit. I had to wash my eyes every few minutes when i was reading it and even had to stop reading it entirely to prevent further damage to my brain cells.

mrttao likes this.
  14. Daresan

Daresan Well-Known CN Master

Reading List:
    Link
    Well i agree most of it but saying Er zen novel's are trash shows that you havent really read his works. I have read a lot of novels and Er zen's novels still stands out from the crowd cause his writing is good. He has this wonderful ability of manipulating viewers emotions that is if you are into cultivation novels but if you consider all cultivation novels trash then it wont please you. I will say among cultivation novels only his works are the ones i am willing to read.

ED is worst novel for me solely because of recommendations. Every time someone recommends me ED i want to beat the crap out of them. I get TRIGGERED

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  15. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't call them trash. I called em mediocre. 5/10, not worth the time. And thats what they are by my standards. Which most likely happen to be sky high above yours.

lafiel11 likes this.
  16. Daresan

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh is it? Will you name novels that meet your standards?
    Did you complete his novels? Either one of them?

17. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Despite its fuckups I did finish ISSTH. Renegade Immortal lasted for about 150 chaps, AWE less than 100. It became pretty clear that both novels would follow in ISSTHs foodsteps.
    And a novel I call good? Try legend of the sun knight. CoS is also a tad better than Er Gens stuff and if its author hadnt butchered the ending I would actually call it the best novel on WW. Not that it has a lot of competition.

18. Daresan

Reading List:
    Link
    I did try legend of sun knight. It was very funny and enjoyable but nothing more than that cause i prefer serious novels mostly. City of sin never really got me into the story. It is kind of tragedy ntr novel where mc is jerk who lets his women die even though he is very powerful and those mountains of description and info dump had me really loose interest.

Still i can understand why you like city of sin but trashing Er zen kind of sucks cause there are many people who perfer his works over city of sin. It just depends on your preference. His writing i personally enjoy read Renegade immortal and pursuit of truth they are different then a will eternal and issth. A will eternal is my least favourite er zen novel.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Demon Empress and Dragon-sama like this.
  19. Apollonas

Apollonas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Artifureta is surprisingly popular considering how trash it is.

20. philosopher17

philosopher17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I forget the name, but its a japanese novel which is constantly in the top rankings on NU, its about some five year old child of elf and demon or something having a freakin harem. NU readers will lap up anything that has the harem tag, i swear. Just wonder how many of those folks live in places where polygamy is tolerated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.