Question The worst Popular Novel out there, and why.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by adrielpirate, Mar 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Death mage?

2. VoidLife

VoidLife Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    PMG for PMG readers.
    Dude it is the worst after you read it past1000 chapters. It tires you out. One can't have too many excitement.

I also hate how these harem girls feel okay about this. Also, they usually Fck a ton but has only 1 to 2 children or none at all. Condoms???

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2020
  3. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    fei pin ying qiang bc toxic relationship. just screams NOT A HEALTHY RELATIONSHIP and Does this author f***ing support polygamy??

4. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    god and devil world was very, very good and promising at the start. it's too bad the author couldn't stop himself from writing racism, national propaganda and bullshit ways to send the mc into the next arc (like a giant eagle picking him up or getting launched into the next continent by a cannon)

mechanical god emperor was a pretty good cheat at the start but it quickly went to ruins

this ^^
    i'm glad i dropped it.

also that guy who wrote about WW having the trashiest novel is 100% true.

IET novels and TJSS are also cookie cutter novels that aren't great, but a good read because they are follow a successful trend/formula. everyone recognises this but ww fanboys.

oh and then theres tournament emperor which was said to be one of the best novels...hahahahahahaha. i wonder if it has come to the point where a tournament will occur when he is in the toilet pooping since the mc already had to join a tournament while eating at a restaurant

er gen novels aren't good either and ISSTH was mediocre at best. it had great moments but all together, it just wasn't good.
    RI was bad. there are many plotholes and the whole red qi thing was complete and utter BS. er gen himself had to write chapters and chapters to justify it and then later had the MC reset his cultivation because of it. oh and that part where the MC died and became something else, do you guys remember it?

AWE ending was terrible and everyone but WW fanboys recognised it. the translator died about it to keep people reading when people spoke about it on reddit. the jokes of AWE was also the same thing over and over again with different people, in different places.

go read bringing farm to another world that has 8000 chapters. much better than almost everything you'll find in WW

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2020
  5. animefan4004

animefan4004 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Omniscient Reader’s Viewpoint - Started off good but became trash. I just couldn't finish this novel because of how bad the story became. MC straight up became a normal Beta Nice-guy. The last straw was the forced drama of "main comrade hates the protagonist and tries to kill him but actually loves him because the author has no idea what to write at the moment". There are many abnormally forced cliffhangers, where the author leaves out information when it would be naturally revealed. At least create an excuse for the cliffhanger instead of yanking descriptions out from where they should be. The only reason this is so popular is because of the BL undertones throughout the novel, which makes sense since most of the fans of this novel are girls. The one good thing about this was that qidan got a competent translator (Name: A Passing Wanderer) to translate this novel. If you guys don't know who A Passing Wanderer is, he was the original translator for SCOG before Wuxiaworld picked that novel up.

Demon Empress likes this.
  6. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so is it BL or not?

it was not tagged BL when i read it but it had so many BL feeling that it made my hair stood up. i just couldn't continue reading it because of how gross i felt.
    i asked in it's lcd and everyone said it wasn't BL and that it was only me but still i just couldn't get myself to continue reading it

it was the one and only novel that made me feel so weird

7. animefan4004

Reading List:
    Link
    It has a bunch of BL undertones, they never go all the way but there are hints there. If you don't like BL i suggest you not read it.

Here is the thing, Artifureta is a case where the after story is 10 times better than the main story. Try the after story and you will understand why it's still so popular.

@BigBadBoi This is for you too
    There are 4 reasons why most people like Death Mage:
    1. It was one of the first Japanese webnovels that was ever translated and it is miles better than most Isekai stories
    2. The worldbuilding is some of the best most people have ever seen(compared to most Japanese novels)
    3. MC is ruthless and is willing to kill anyone who gets in his way
    4. The mc is so OP that he literally faces no challenge(A lot of people just like face-smacking and an OP dude destroying other OP dudes)
    This is what I could gather from reviews, I never read the story itself

@adrielpirate

The reason most people enjoy stories like GDW and MGE is because sometimes people just want to turn their brain off and just read trashy stories

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2020
    animefan217 likes this.
  8. Kii

Kii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m a fan of the story, but honestly the main draw of that title is really just the fluff. I don’t think many people who read/watch it do it for plot, story, world building or what not.

it’s just a typical slice of life where people just enjoy the fluffy story and get happy feelings. Which, believe it or not, is something that can grab the attention of casual readers/watchers since they may not be going for something plot heavy.

also as a side note I think MGA/PMG were popular because they had a tolerably ok start in the first 30 chapters or so, in a time where there weren’t many novels out there yet, and when it turned to shit people were reluctant to let it go.

Ginko Biloba likes this.
  9. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what does CoS stand for?

10. animefan4004

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure that it is City of Sin

animefan217 likes this.
  11. animefan217

Reading List:
    Link
    #5 the creativity is nice and all the new races he creates.

12. animefan217

Reading List:
    Link
    Not the worst but can't get into city of sin whatever reason.

13. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    City of Sin. That being said the ending was meh. For my standards anyway. Plenty of people would rate it 5/5.

14. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't find it in me to hate many novels. I find there's something decent in most. There might be individual things I dislike a novel, but the majority I can ignore if something else is good enough.

I thought the God and Devil World concept was fairly decent since it was the first example I'd seen of it. I just didn't like the execution of it. I realized I wasn't the audience the author was trying to reach, and I'd absorbed the concept of the novel, so I dropped it.

15. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    He who fights monsters- some hillbilly goof ass story this was
    Supreme magus- the whole things a sad joke
    almost every other isekia that getting made into an anime like that shield hero, re zero etc
    the substance in those stories is just rinse repeat of their predecessor works. Nothing new or original, yet people eat that shit up.
    clannad- i just lol at the dweebs who cried for this
    black clover- have yet to find funny in the screaming
    Demon slayer- its not bad, but its not master piece as everyone makes it to be, and the screaming is NOT funny.
    my hero academia- plain boring shonen, borderline annoying
    any harem
    evangelion- most pretentious bs ive ever run across, try hard substance
    a lot of the CEO fucks me kinda stories, where ML is this arrogant abusive fucker and abuse is sugar coated into romance
    -Any of those cliche system stories where mc ends up somehow getting all the bitches, eradicates young masters and is just overall a hypocrite
    -Tales of Gods and Monsters- this...its just not good lol, how is it so popular????? maybe it was the first of its kind in the regression themes

im a salty bitch, my list is long and never ending

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  16. adrielpirate

adrielpirate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hey... hey... hey... hey... hello there... hey...

i know its cringy and gloomy and sad and all, but the character development is kinda good you know, the worldbuilding is also good, minor and secondary characters have time to develop and grow with the story, the MC despiste be strong, is not Overpowered, and also... no harem.

there are more well written novels out there i know, but this one is not a trash.
    Is easily understandable why people read this, just like his other trash cousin Reverend Insanity, who has 0 character development and a ruthless OP MC just because reasons.

17. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    hey hey hey about reverend insanity
    reverend insanity is one of those novels you need to understand why the author choose to write fang yuan that way
    RI is a master piece if u ignore the 1D" persona that's cold and calculating, and tbh i loved that, and most of the fans can attest to this as well. it worked for the mc of RI because the rest of the plot was gripping and mc was the grand daddy of scheming. Not to mention, unlike most regression stories, reverend insanity explains that fang yuan already went thro the nonsensical "character growth" in his last life of 500 years, he learned, fell, scrapped his knees, crawled through dirt to only realize how evanescent human relationships are and how meaningless all this was in the face of the monster known as time. And if you think about it, its very applicable for our lives as well. No matter how much we grow as people, how much we do , in the end nothing matters, ash to ashes, dust to dust. Thus, fang yuan chooses to crush any thoughts of relationships as he steadfastly aims for his ultimate goal of immortality. It is meaningless for the author to put charecter growth when the whole plot was 100% focused on his journey towards immortality.That being said, he does grow in different ways, as in learning from his mistakes, and takes his enemies by the balls the next regression round.

now if you had switched the mcs, both stories would have been a colossal failure.
    I didnt mean to come off that edgy when i said it was shit, its not shit tbh, it was more disappointing. Ill remove it from this list of worst popular novels after all, pure shit is way worse. Im just frustrated that for the amount of popularity , Warlock doesn't deliver. Its incredibly boring, and it was just sad seeing repeated ideas in a different setting with a different character, while reverend insanity was fresh and incredibly a thrilling read just like LOTM from start to finish. Albeit both had a rocky start. Warlock failed to capture my interest.

BUT i never got past ch 100, lemme know if it gets any better and at what ch ill start seeing this cold aloof badass scheming mc everyone promised me

Dragon-sama likes this.
  18. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    RI is pretty nice, yes. One of the few readable cultivation novels, in fact.

FIEND likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.