Discussion The worst thing that happen in a novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Anonymousse, Oct 8, 2017.

?

Which one is the worst for a novel?

Poll closed Oct 15, 2017.
  1. Too cliche

7.5%
  2. Too dull (no action/romance/suspense/twists/turns/etc)

13.8%
  3. Too repetitive

13.8%
  4. Too OP

5.0%
  5. MC personality (arrrogance/lame/sadistic/etc)

12.5%
  6. Decline story plot

17.5%
  7. Bad publisher

2.5%
  8. Bad reviews/ratings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Bad translation quality

10.0%
  10. novel genre (yaoi/yuri/etc)

8.8%
  11. Etc .................

8.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clozdark

Clozdark "Kuma chan \(≧◡≦)/ "「airhead」「nonsense speaker]

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem treated like a pokemon

2. Hunta

Hunta shameless

Reading List:
    Link
    ntr

Rakiin likes this.
  3. Shikon

Shikon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It does... Have you never read a manga/novel that you were tens or hundreds of chapters in, only to have the translator relay to everyone that the author has dropped it? Often times, the translator is far away from the author's current release. If the translator still continues to translate the rest of the chapters, the decision is still in your court.

readerz likes this.
  4. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    slow update ->Random update->Dropped

readerz and blablabla12 like this.
  5. Azure

Azure The True Blue Sky

Reading List:
    Link
    Personalities (beta cucks)
    Dull (Authors who fail to make the reader care about the stakes, or even put anything at stake at all.)
    Repetitive (The death of Bleach)

6. Rakiin

Rakiin Pokemon Slave Trader

Reading List:
    Link
    NTR.

Rae likes this.
  7. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    Its one those things where you have to choose in pairs, like shoes. If you choose one, it wont have value.

You say this is the worst, and the novel is dropped.

You say that is worse, and it is paywalled....lol

And suddenly everything is paywalled. Congrats, dare to say, this is the worst?

Qidian Empire greets you. Learned the lesson yet?

Because we can always go on, your imagination is the limit of the worst that can happen.

8. Ams

Ams Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bad publishers.. they might axe the novels/manga/anime any time they want.. leaving us all cringing....not even the best authors can save their work from them

9. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    Kouki is the worst thing to happen in any novel.

10. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    ^

11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I agree with @akki hime-sama, the worst part is when the author put something that had nothing to do with the novel in the first place.

I call that a change of focus, changing the focus of your novel isn't necessarily bad, but it's bad 90%+ of the time, the 10%- percentage exists only because some authors are just too good.

I'll use Otoburi as an example, because... Hey, I always use Otoburi for that.

It was a Slice of Life novel, pretty cute and very funny, I loved reading through everything Camille had to deal with, and it was really nice overall! I love Slice of Life after all!

But then, the heroine appeared... And what did the heroine start? A rebellion, more like a civil war tbh, and it was a biiiiiig rebellion, and she had little to no qualms in doing everything necessary for the sake of her goals, and since the MC is a noble, and a goody-two-shoes at that, she was fighting against the heroine's forces directly.

... So... What happened here? The novel started focusing almost 100% of it on a rebellion (or a civil war if you prefer), and while that isn't bad per se... You then remember this is a fluffy Slice of Life novel.

You need to remember that the people that go read a fluffy slice of life novel do not want to read a heavy war story!
    ... Alright, they might want to, since I read Eliza too, but that's definitely not what I want when I go read Otoburi...

In other words... Changing the focus of the novel made it become quite the boring read and not nearly as fulfilling as the first few volumes were.

I did say that some focus changes can be done well though, right? Well, Madoka is a good example for that, you start thinking it's your everyday Mahou Shoujo anime, about girls that will save the world against witches and... BAM! Mami died! Prepare yourself for a dark story about girls that become witches herselves, an obsessed girl that is stuck in a time loop and many other really depressing things!

Well, there is a difference on Madoka's approach though... First, it had already given some signs that things were a bit darker there, what's up with Homura killing kyuubei with some shots right away?

The design of the witches was reaaaaaally creepy, this also has a pretty big influence on the feel the story passes...

And lastly... The transition, it comes with a huge shock! It gives you a pretty and wonderful feeling! A cake for a wish! Let's fight for the world together and... BAM! Dead!

The transition was very impactful and put at a very well timed moment... Specially because it was still early on the series, it started with a fake feeling of fluffiness, only to show its true colors a few episodes later. This is ver important, you can't wait a few volumes to show the real tone of your series, you need to show yourself early because the readers that will stick with you, want to read that kind of series! >.<

Well, this came up as a bit of a wall... In conclusion, changing focus without careful planning and wonderful execution is bad! Bad enough to be a huge turndown for the novel!

readerz likes this.
  12. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    Dungeon defence is that 10%, semi lit rpg turned to dark psychological novel. But it is so good, i cant complain

But for madoka i think it is desired story from the start

13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmmm Dungeon Defense I haven't read, so I can't comment on it.

Madoka doesn't give you as much of a cute feeling as most Mahou Shoujo novels give, but I still think it has a very light-hearted story for most of the beginning...

One of the things I really love about Madoka is the Soundtrack, Mami's Theme represents the starting feeling of Madoka really well IMO, it's very active and cheerful... It feels hopeful to me, as if everything will be alright for as long as she's there.

At the same time, the ending theme represents the air Madoka gives after Mami's death really well, it's dark, deppressing, scary and despairing... I think it was a really well made work.

It was definitely intended from the start, but I think that anyone seeing it without knowing spoilers will be quite surprised by the sudden turn on the feel of the anime, I certainly did.

14. leegood

leegood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's when the author dies :(
    you never really know, and the translator is left hanging because they most likely won't know the author died.
    Or the novel gets translated by someone who just threw it up in google translate and pasted that as a chapter, though gets accepted on NU only because it's grammar and sentences has been edited a little.

*Stares at I professed myself to be the wise men Web novel version*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.