Discussion The Yuri Garden

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Moonpearl, Feb 13, 2017.

?

What should the next anthology title be? (Format is "__________: A Yuri Garden Anthology")

Poll closed Sep 7, 2022.
  1. Festival of Blooming Flowers

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Festival of Blooming Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Lily-White Wishes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Lily-White Wishes and Violet Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Autumn Lillies

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Planted Seeds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Everlasting Evergreen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Branches on the Tree of Life

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Perennial Blooms

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. The Sight by Yuri Lake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. The Good Luck Coin

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  12. Yearning Under Rapturous Ideals

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. crimson_carnation

crimson_carnation Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the irony might be amusing for me while writing, but I don't think it would be funny for the readers :blob_grin: Hmm, though it is kind of tempting... :blobowoevil_horns:

Ubik likes this.
  2. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ubik likes this.
  3. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then I guess that you don't read chinese ones. Ok, let's see. Let's take somewhat sub-type of it "Master-Disciple". FMC as master and clingy disciple as FL. From the start FMC is much higher in everything: cultivation levels, abilities, knowledge etc. Of course, she protects her disciple. Then FL starts to cling to FMC more after that. In that type of novels FL has previous life or body situation (she for example reincarnation of higher goddess) on level that if she wants she can destroy the world. When FL grow clingy become or possessive or desire to protect, so she first became on the level of Shifu then much higher in desire to protect or completely own her.
    My Disciple Wants to Tease Me Every Day is example.
    There is another type, where there isn't such disparity, but FMC is usually reincarnated for second chance or have knowledge of fiction. Then because of knowledge she protects and FL falls or opens to her.
    Examples:
    Female Protagonist is a Blackened Villainess
    Mistress, I Was Wrong
    So trope exists! :blob_coffee:
    Even if there is little angst there will be too much for my taste. :blobangery: Still, if all ends well, I'll take a peek at it. :blobpeek:
    Wow! Thanks, nice find! :cookie: At least we know that they exist! :blobxd: Still, korean translators are even rare than new yuri translated novels. :blobsad:
    It's called bittersweet. Especially if it was done at the ending. In one novel for example they didn't end when all enemies were defeated, and they lived HEA. But about thousands or so years later where finally FL has to die because of age and left FMC alone (she is immortal) for time till reincarnation (it could take another thousands of years). And other loved ones were dead long time ago.
    It can be more difficult than you know. To create not tragedy but sad and sweet one at the same time. That is happy end, but at the same it's not. I wish you luck with that. :blobsalute:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  4. crimson_carnation

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I haven't read many yuri stories, since most seem to be at the early stage or have super slow updates or seem to be dropped :blobcry: I think I've seen these tropes in some BL too, though they tend to be overused too much, so I started avoiding them :blobsweat: I was thinking of making both the FMC and FL as disciples from different sects who have to act together, so I think I can safely say that those tropes will be avoided :blobsmirk:

I don't think I'll try to add angst though, since they drain my cheer and make me tensed until I clear it and make the characters happy again :blobsob:

The ending will definitely be 100% happy! :blobsleepless: Though I don't yet know how the rest will be... I'm slowly beginning to think it might become a horror/supernatural-type story :blob_ghost: Our two main leads can go around trying to solve a spooky mystery or something~

Yandere Devil, Ubik and Moonpearl like this.
  5. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, I missed that one.
    At least yet that blonde JK girl didn't break with her wannabe boyfriend. He simply just left her be in panic even if she is panic state too (shitty guy). There is more mother-daughter relationship than romantic feelings. Even if it's not, it's rather interesting triangle.
    Now you know that that tropes exist in yuri too. Also, about slow updates and dropping :blob_teary:. Then at least you can wonder less why there is need to try at least MTL read of novels.
    So it could draw more chapters from you? :blob_grin: Still, no angst is good, angst is irritating. :blobdevil:
    Ok, in supernatural one of main leads is long time dead and in mystery one killer is the butler. I solved them! Did I gain a candy or a cake for it? :blobspy:

p.s. recent ark in NetOL is adorably hilarious. That shop owner is very nice addition to those band of misfits.

6. crimson_carnation

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. MTL can't be pleasant, but it's better than nothing, I guess :blobwoah:

And draw tears out of me :blob_grin: I have to wonder though, what would be considered 'angst', usually? I've had some readers comment as if tense situations in general are angsty :blobunsure: But, say, if the MC is clearing through zombies to get to the final boss, then the atmosphere is definitely tense, but it can't be called angst, no? For me, angst is usually frustrating misunderstandings and stuff like that :blobupset: What is angsty for you?

Here's the prize! :blobgift: I don't know what's inside the box though, so open with caution! :blob_grin:

Ubik likes this.
  7. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not only frustrating misunderstanding it is more like heavy drama or even tragedy. Examples, Citrus. Kodama Naoko works (she is bathing in angst). Most Momono Moto works like "Kimi Koi Limit", "My Ignorance of a World Yet Unknown" and other ones.
    *opens box*
    Wow! It's Schrödinger's cat!!! How nice!
    *closes box, reopens box, closing it again*
    Still can't determine is it alive or not. At least it's not pandora box.
    ---------
    By the way, thanks to AsianessPride looks like nothingisit4me will be picking up [GL] Princess is forgiving after finishing Female Protagonist is a Blackened Villainess.

crimson_carnation likes this.
  8. crimson_carnation

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobfearful: Then I can safely say that I won't be indulging in angst. I want to check out those stories to see what you mean, but if it has that much angst...then I guess I'd better not :blobsleepless:

Maybe it's a plush-toy cat :blobsnow: And no pandora box is always good~ We don't need any more bad things escaping into the world :blobamused:

Ubik likes this.
  9. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can check those for .... :hmm: educational purposes, I guess. But please, if you decide to add something like that - tag it. Or there could be chance of random encounter with angsty readers. :blobspearpeek: Seriously though, you already mention that you prefer drama on mild to middle level and want to label it accordingly. So it will be fine.
    You can try to write story in that setting :blobwhistle: Just saying.
    Also, you know, I think that Pandora box filled with cat plushies will not be so frightening a least. :blobcat_rawr:

10. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Dont get me started on citrus. :blobunamused:

Ubik likes this.
  11. crimson_carnation

Reading List:
    Link
    Phew, then I'll try to leave it out. But just for curiosity's sake, how do you tag angst? :blob_tilt: I mean, I don't remember there being any tags or genres for that...

A catora box that, when opened, let the cute little kitty plushies inside escape, leaving behind only a really grumpy one. So now the FMC and FL have to follow the guidance of that one remaining grumpy cat to find all those plushies and put them back in? :blob_grin: It sounds cute~

Ubik likes this.
  12. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    An armageddon where everybody drowns in plushies is somewhat... At least the others on the other side will be able to boast about how cool and tragic their end was but as for you...

Ubik and crimson_carnation like this.
  13. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And if there is "+" after? :blobtongue:
    That tag https://forum.novelupdates.com/tags/angst/ Still angsty readers remember about angsty readers :blobspearpeek:
    Oh, I could imagine. FMC is mouse-kin and FL is dog-kin. So relationship from the start are not good at all. But they became a "Team". Beast Team or B-Team in short. And I guess adventure doesn't end there. When all cat plushies will be collected they morph in Catora box to became one very large and very grumpy Catzilla. To be continued in next season. Then credits. Perfect :aww:
    Oh, there could be worse. Death from bearpocalypse like in Yuri Kuma Arashi. There are death from main characters active-reactive plot armour. And there were deaths by giant Marshmallow Man. :blobpoliceangry:
    And there are people who received Darwin Awards in strange place called "Real Life". So it's debatable that cat plushies is worse. It's cat plushie!! At least it was pleasant one.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  14. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I ain't got nuthin' on giant marshmen! Just put on the "ghost busters" song and it becomes the geekiest wildest and coolest way out

Ubik likes this.
  15. crimson_carnation

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooh, I never noticed that before :blobsleepless:

:blobrofl: That sounds like an adorable TV show for kids, and I would watch the heck out of that~ :blobmelt:

By the way, a general question for every flower in this garden~ What are the elements you most look forward to in a Yuri story? :aww:

Ubik and Moonpearl like this.
  16. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to admit that I quite like swooning over the pretty women when I can. I really like the "seme" type women, especially. That can be the beautiful, cool, and confident older ladies, the handsomely masculine women, the muscled beauties, etc. They don't have to be a bottom, they just have to have that seme feeling to them, if you know what I mean?
    In yuri like that, I have to admit that I live a little through the other woman... :blobmelt:
    Some examples are: Shizuma from "Strawberry Panic", Erza Scarlet from "Fairy Tail", Mereoleona from "Black Clover", Bowsette, and Erislethe from "Erislethe: Valley of the Dragon Queen".

Aside from that... I really look forward to the relationship between the characters. Too many stories focus on emphasising how "pure" and "cute" the characters are and fail to give them a real personality or any romantic or sexual tension between each other. (I kind of don't like "cute" and "innocent" paired with "cute" and "innocent" either.)

I also really enjoy yuri stories that subvert gender expectations. For example, stories where one of the harem members in a crappy harem novel decides to refuse the male MC and take another harem member, and otome game stories where the heroine refuses the male targets and gets together with the villainess she should be fighting with.
    I like the Bowsette x Peach pairing for this reason too. Princess Peach is often depicted as being even more enthusiastic about Bowsette than Bowsette is about her, and she's quite aggressive, devious, and openly sexual.
    Yuri like this feels very satisfying and liberating to me.

17. crimson_carnation

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, yes, I think I know what you mean :blobsmilehappyeyes: A mixture of kickass and dependable? Someone people will know with a glance is not to be messed with?

Do they actually do that? :blobfrowning: Pair two ladies who're that similar?? Having three dimensional characters should be a basic thing, but too many stories in general fail in that aspect :blobexpressionless: And character interactions that slowly build up relationships, romantic or not, and slowly deepen the characters' connections are a favorite of mine~ :blobmelt: And seeing a romance slowly come together is so satisfying~

So basically...women who defy expectations and grab what they want? :blob_grin: Characters like that are the best kind! :blobxd:

Moonpearl and Ubik like this.
  18. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Moonpearl and Ubik like this.
  19. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For you maybe, for others it will something like "who make ghostbusters jokes in this era?" :blobjoy:
    It wasn't in popular tags. Though I don't want to live in world where angst tag is popular one... shudders :sweating_profusely:
    I guess talk is about something like people in Akuma no Riddle or Bakuretsu Tenshi: Angel's Adolescence Yeah they are not to be messing with. :blobhero:
    Sorry, but I'm against that. :blobconfused: There are stories, good ones where there is such a pairing. Futaribeya, Whispering You a Love Song, Tadokoro-san as if there are bad and those in pair are badly described. :blobsmirk:
    Now I get reason from what you love Female General And Eldest Princess. All in all female general in chinese novels is subverting gender expectations. General is elected or promoted there through brute strength. In that one she became platoon leader because she could shoot with 200 stone bow. It's 160kg. Just Imagine how muscles will be to fully armed that bow. Also, to wield sword/axe/spear and fight with it for hours and in armour and to apply strength to break through enemies shields, armour, bones of enemies. It's not so easy.
    That's about all generals in yuri chinese historical stories. Good thing that it only novels so imagination could run wild in how to picture it. :blobpopcorn_cool:
    Thanks, it was good chapter. Saw it on dex too. :blobamused: At least author don't draw angsty drama card and still have rather pure relationship. Still don't know how to think about reveal in extras.
    Futaribeya has new chapter too. They already on couple level long time ago even if they don't mention it every time.
    If it's elements then fluffy moments. It doesn't even matter genre, style. One of my favourite novel is Do You Think Someone Like You Can Defeat the Demon King? where in very dark setting. In whole dark gory mess there are fluffy moments between main pair. In another one of my favourite Mistress, I Was Wrong fluffy moments in rather generic story is very cute. :blobsmirk:
    If it will be whole setting then I want to see completed Sci-Fi yuri story. But it's very wishful thinking. :blobsneeze:

20. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh boy, lately i was MTL series and now you gave me the idea to try to MTL the series Quick transmigration : top of transmigration or whatever i don't remember the exact title. The one with MC having big build but cute face.

Ubik likes this.