Discussion The Yuri Garden

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Moonpearl, Feb 13, 2017.

?

What should the next anthology title be? (Format is "__________: A Yuri Garden Anthology")

Poll closed Sep 7, 2022.
  1. Festival of Blooming Flowers

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Festival of Blooming Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Lily-White Wishes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Lily-White Wishes and Violet Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Autumn Lillies

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Planted Seeds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Everlasting Evergreen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Branches on the Tree of Life

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Perennial Blooms

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. The Sight by Yuri Lake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. The Good Luck Coin

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  12. Yearning Under Rapturous Ideals

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. blazingseraph

blazingseraph Professional GL Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Scat... unless that's short for Scathach then that's a bit too much for me...

2. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read all the currently published 35 chapters and I am pleasantly surprised. It's a good story by all accounts, definitely worth following. It's a pity it takes so long for a new chapter to come out, but it does make sense, considering that they all are pretty long and the author seems to be editing chapters they published before to fit into narrative better.

3. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    A plot like "Hera is super annoyed by Zeus cheating on her all the time so she decided to hook up with a girl" would be cool as heck

4. The Hamster Overlord

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know...
    Generally, the women who were in a relationship with a god, or tried to be in a relationship with a god, in Greek mythology, never really ended up well. Besides, there's a huge status gap between literally any other girl and Hera, no matter whether they be a god(except Persephone but that's a no for me), monster or human. It would make for a tear-jerking tragedy, maybe, but I wouldn't read it.
    I'd personally prefer a plot where Zeus is a girl (because why not) and maybe she's more of a kind amiable wise goddess like she's portrait in the media and Hera is a super jealous goddess. That could go any way from comedy to drama and allow for a more interesting dynamic as Hera and Zeus don't have as big of a status gap.
    On that note, there was mention of a story about gb'd Hades x Persephone. Iirc, @Moonpearl talked about it

5. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I am sure he would have transformed into one during his spree

A classic yandere story?

6. The Hamster Overlord

Reading List:
    Link
    Also good, but a level lower than recommendation 2, if I were tbh. Still, pretty entertaining, if anything
    I don't know about classic, but being jealous and being yandere are two different things. A "classic" yandere, in my opinion, would need to be more powerful and resourceful than Zeus, so that she could do yandere shenanigans without problems.

An update on 家出少女と私~越えてしまった一線のその先~
    The author continues to write short chapters, frequently. So far, I am really enjoying the story. The author did done a few unexpected twists, but nothing crazy so far.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  7. The Hamster Overlord

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading "jealous CEO is treating me hypocritically", currently at ch 14.
    I apologise in advance in case I hurt somebody's feeling but...
    It's bad. Like, I'm not gonna sugar-coat it, it's just plain terrible. The characters are all uncomedically dumb and unsympathetic, neither mc nor Fl have any characteristics that would make me like them even a bit and act like they just graduated kindergarten. The plot is very boring so far and it's moving at a snail's pace without adding anything substantial to the story and it's clear the author was either adding filler because they didn't know what to write next or they just wrote on the fly. The side characters are very plain and very annoying, especially the secretary. Usually, in such cases I could also test the story for the "it's so bad its good" quality (I love such stories), but it's not there either. Despite all the flaws, the story seems to take itself way too seriously for that. I genuinely regret spending the time i have on reading those 14 chapters.
    The translation is good though. That's it.

8. blazingseraph

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not the only one who thought it was bad then. I read a few chapters, and got immediate signals that this story probably will not be something I can finish.

9. blazingseraph

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, I finished reading this ABO novel called After Soft Sister Differentiated into A. It's basically rivals to lovers in a high school setting that's also ABO. The MC is someone who's always thought she would become an omega but ended up differentiating into alpha. She considers herself rivals with the FL, someone who she secretly competes with in everything. Said FL differentiated into omega of course. The story unfolds with the two of them slowly viewing each other in a different light after the MC finds out more details about the FL that she was unaware of before and the MC really enjoys the sense of safety she feels with the MC. She's also the only person who she didn't have to put a mask on for compared to everyone else.

With all that said, there's not much plot and it's purely a step to step romance campus sweet text. I quite enjoyed the process and the sweetness of the couple in the later stage. The only problem I have with this story is how the setting is just... too basic ABO for my personal tastes. There were a few interesting things mentioned like this one character who essentially presents as omega despite being an alpha, and the MC's struggle to reconcile with being an alpha was interesting. Almost reminiscent of someone being trans except that actually went nowhere. Most of it was just super standard ABO stuff that really doesn't interest me much so I'll just give it a 8/10 for being a sweet text.

10. XiaoWenTian

XiaoWenTian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And I dump another backlog recs
    #xwtrec

Abo:
    假千金Alpha自救手札
    Fake rich daughter Alpha's self personal letter rescue
    Mc awakened that she realized she's in a book as vicous villainess alpha, a fake daughter. Fl is real daughter heroine, later became a, at least that's on the script. Mc decided to hug fl thigh, helped heroine everywhere, but... Why is heroine become o?
    Tsundere mc A x Black belly fl O

怂A当然要亲完就跑
    Of course A will run away after a kiss
    Mc is a school bully who is supposed to become O, but she's super fierce. Fl is a popular girl O. .. . But then mc become A?

Normal:
    顶配前女友
    Top match ex girlfriend
    Mc wants to make her ex jealous so she rental a girlfriend, its just.. The rental gf is her ex.

豪门长媳又美又婊
    The rich and powerful chief's daughter in law is pretty bitchy
    Mc loves money and she got a certain job... Accompanying fl.

Ancient:
    《改命》作者:琉璃微凉
    Changing Fate
    Mc found out that she's in a book, a vicious villainess Eldest princess. The male lead is her husband and heroine is the general's sister.
    And somehow she ended up with the heroine

QT:
    逍遥游之醉花间

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Lyzzz likes this.
  11. blazingseraph

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh hey, One Pet Gets Married got picked up. It's a really nice romantic comedy with a rebirth MC who came from ancient times. One thing I remembered from reading this a long while ago is how much it made my heart tingle. The MC is a very seductive woman from what I recall.

12. Riptide01

Riptide01 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone got good recommendations of Yuri novels with villian-like MCs? And I’m not talking about the ones where they “transmigrated into a villainess” and pretend to be evil but are actually doing good. I’m really craving for some pure evil MCs or at the very least a morally-grey one. If not the MC, then a evil Fl works too~ Idc if it’s untranslated or not, I’ll take anything~~

13. aureolin

aureolin Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A couple of stories I finished reading + one I'm still reading.

ABO
    短命白月光只想咸鱼
    Short-lived White Moonlight just wants to be a Salted Fish
    95 Chapters + 27 Extras

When MC is 16, she realizes she’s wearing a book and that she shares the name of the heroine’s White Moonlight, who died at age 20. She doesn’t know how she dies, just that she does. In order to avoid this fate, she is determined to stay away from the heroine (because Plot Logic aka if she's near the heroine, she'll get dragged into the plot). Unfortunately, the heroine happens to be the daughter of her mother’s girlfriend.

I thought this was good. Kind of a typical “I have to avoid the original protagonist to avoid my death, but I ended up falling for them anyway” story. There’s an amnesia plot in the second half of the story (which isn’t a spoiler if you look at the titles of the extras lol). I thought the romance developed a bit fast on the FL’s side but that was a minor thing. The major plot twist was cool. I give it an 8/10.

替代品
    Alternatives/Substitutes
    Same author as above
    122 Chapters + 8 Extras

I’m currently on Chapter 62, so this isn’t a complete review, but I just feel like talking about it since it’s a bit different from stories I’ve read before. I was honestly hesitant to read this story cause the mtl summary lowkey made it sound like there was grooming. But thankfully there isn’t. It is, however, morally dubious. I repeat, it's morally dubious. Neither MC or FL are conventionally “good” people (but of course if I’d give anyone flak, it’d be the FL since she’s older), and quite a few people around them aren’t good people either. MC and FL have a 16-year age gap. FL is the MC’s guardian, but they don’t have a legal relationship and for most of MC’s childhood, FL wasn’t around much. FL took in MC cause her remaining family sucks.

MC realizes her feelings towards FL first. It’s quickly established that her feelings aren’t “pure” though, and MC isn’t exactly comfortable with her feelings either (*cough*Oedipus complex*cough*). FL doesn’t start acting, uh, improper toward MC until MC’s behavior starts showing her inner thoughts (i.e. there's some possessiveness, jealousy, desire, etc.). They end up using each other as a substitute for the same person. Right now, where I'm currently at in the story, they're still using each other, so it'll be interesting to see how the relationship develops.

It’s a 9/10 for me so far. Some of the imagery the author used was a bit on the nose and frankly a little weird to read lol. If you want to try to read this one, go into it with an open mind. I gotta say though, I do admire the author for writing this story just because they wanted to create one like it. It’s pretty different from their other ABO text.

Wife Chasing Crematorium
    分久必合[娱乐圈]
    The Reconciliation (entertainment circle)
    179 Chapters + 8 Extras

MC is on a show when she’s prompted to call her first love. To the surprise of the audience, a woman picks up the call. And to the surprise of MC, the person on the other end actually picked up her call. Because of this MC unintentionally comes out on TV, but she doesn’t regret it because she always intended to come out eventually. Around the same time, FL returns to China after 8 years of being abroad and takes over the President’s seat of MC’s company. Since FL came back, their lives frequently intersected. The problem is, FL broke MC’s heart 8 years ago, so FL has some chasing to do.

I loved MC to death. Her being unapologetically herself was fun to read. And while I don’t think the FL is on the same level as MC, I think she was pretty great too. The wife chasing was great. Loved that angst and the sweet, sweet results. I also enjoyed how (mostly) realistic the consequences were for MC after coming out. The side characters were pretty good too, especially MC’s rival (in acting, not in love lol). Overall, 10/10.

I’m reading some of the author’s other works too. This author seems to like writing wife chasing crematoriums lol which I also like reading.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    jrdp_18 and blazingseraph like this.
  14. blazingseraph

Reading List:
    Link
    I read this before and I ended up never finishing it cause the second half just felt a little too rushed. They dumped a bunch of exposition after the reveal and then it was just sex for so many chapters I was legit bored out of my mind. The first half was cool though, but I just whew. I could not finish cause of that second part even though I liked the plot twist.

aureolin likes this.
  15. aureolin

aureolin Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, I get what you mean. The second half definitely could have been better. It basically becomes a sweet text after MC remembers, so there isn’t much missed by never finishing it lol

On another note, anyone have any recs for stories where the MC is a book character that becomes self-aware like in Become the Hostess’ Vicious Ex-Wife (not wearing a book)?

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  16. The Hamster Overlord

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't. But thanks for the recommendedion

17. blazingseraph

Reading List:
    Link
    If you haven't read She is the Protagonist yet then you definitely should. It's both book character becomes self-aware + the other person is a transmigrator.

aureolin likes this.
  18. blazingseraph

Reading List:
    Link
    Finished reading Enchanted (GL) and it's pretty good. It's a strangers to friends to lovers where one person (MC) is a new intern at a company and the other (FL) is the new manager of said company. That part doesn't actually come into play much cause it's not an "office romance" so to speak. Honestly there's not much that happens in the plot besides certain events that explore each of the protagonists' backstories and letting us readers know more about them. The main focus was on the developing romance between one person who doesn't believe she'll ever fall in love and the other person who feels lonely and wants to find someone who has never fallen in love before.

The romance was very sweet, and the writing was very good. There's also a niece involved that upped the cuteness value because the FL hired the MC to teach her and help her out of autism, and the niece really likes the MC and wants her and her aunt to be together forever. It's funny cause the MC is very good with children, but her personality with everything else is like a dull gourd who doesn't say much.

Spoiler alert but not really is that the MC and FL knew each other when they were children. The first time the MC saw the FL, she told her she looked like someone she knew before, which you know, is a traditional pick up line. But yeah, I won't go into more detail because you should just read that for yourself, but this story was a really nice organic relationship that had little drama and lots of romance. 10/10.

19. XiaoWenTian

XiaoWenTian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    每天都在帮前妻脱单
    Helping my ex wife to stop being single everyday
    Mc woke up and realized she's a vicious villainess in a lily novel. She wanted to divorce her wife so her wife can co with heroine. Basically self help system meets overbearing president. Mc is fake cold abstinence.
    Here @aureolin
    Basically mc realized she's a vicious villainess in a book, and in the book they will be divorced and her wife will be using heroine as substitute and drama bla bla bla.
    Mc is old fashioned and change her style after she awaken her consciousness.
    End up funny mc and fl who loved each other is jealous because they think her wife is interested at heroine but they actually hate her.

aureolin likes this.
  20. blazingseraph

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been trying to remember what the title of this is, but yeah I'll also give this a +1 as a recommendation. It's really hard finding stuff you've read when a lot of them are named very similarly....

aureolin likes this.