Discussion The Yuri Garden

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Moonpearl, Feb 13, 2017.

?

What should the next anthology title be? (Format is "__________: A Yuri Garden Anthology")

Poll closed Sep 7, 2022.
  1. Festival of Blooming Flowers

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Festival of Blooming Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Lily-White Wishes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Lily-White Wishes and Violet Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Autumn Lillies

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Planted Seeds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Everlasting Evergreen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Branches on the Tree of Life

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Perennial Blooms

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. The Sight by Yuri Lake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. The Good Luck Coin

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  12. Yearning Under Rapturous Ideals

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion they are both good, you cannot compare happy end one (1st chapter) with just start of the story (2nd). And the main plus that readers know that it has fluffy steamy end.

She was higher and counted herself as tall (with that height?) and rants about that everyone prefer shorter than themseves
    Image of I can only think something like that:
    [​IMG]

Dunno, I think just search before asking redundant question will be better. To fully read near than one half thousand posts instead of search and reading yuri, it's not good time consuming stuff.
    They said that they were building site. So maybe just construction work.

Can't think for it as bad, but it's not good either. Just mediocre.

Ohhhh, and I hoped MC will be with archer girl (Michelle) and in manga (only read it yet) there wasn't mention her old love, it's that werecat girl?
    Nice to know!
    Yeah, rating of 1 just because of genre.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Moonpearl likes this.
  2. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    ^
    Ratings, ranking and reviews on nuf are useless

3. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope i can agree for the first 2 but not for reviews. Because thx to the reviews i could dodge the full of NTR "A step into the past", and the weak push-over MC with previously raped women "Oh no! After I Reincarnated, My Moms Became Son-cons!" or also not lose my time with "Trial Husband" because it's full of rinse-and-repeat of female MC encounters a enemy that wants her demise and husband save her ass, also they are not loveydovey at all, female MC have sex with him, says she could fall in love for him (i think) but don't at all.
    I think i will have a small dislike for you if you still believe they are useless.

Ubik, Sabruness and Moonpearl like this.
  4. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    reviews are still useful to gauge the general sentiment for a novel. It's saved me at least a few times from novels that seemed like my kinda thing but were actually shit.

Ratings are useless, though. I dont bother rating a series unless i really love it.

Ubik and Moonpearl like this.
  5. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice to see a comrade.

6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    >.>
    <.<

Only things I used reviews for was to see if a given tag was worth keeping for a given novel back in the days I was active in tag cleanup... >.>

It was pretty useful though! xD

7. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    The survey is now closed~! It will be a while before I have the freedom to sit and analyse them and type up the report (I have nothing but deadlines and exams until May), but the results are interesting and worth the wait.

Done~!

Hopefully so. I'm sure they'll get the site back up and running, it's just unfortunate to have it so crash so soon if it wasn't intentional...

I don't think review are useless so long as you know the art of using them. They're pretty good at flagging up hidden problems and bad endings, too.

As for ratings... I don't pay any attention to them myself, because everything I read gets downvoted by haters anyway.
    But I add them for the sake of giving a final opinion to my reviews, when I write them.

Ubik, Sabruness and AliceShiki like this.
  8. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    In short just do like me and only read the 1-2 star reviews of the series, they are often full of the problems that the series is suffering from. If there are only high notes on reviews, highly probable it's a good series.

Exemple: even though there are not a lot of reviews,
    Lonely Loser, I’ll Become Blonde Frivolous Gyaru’s Favourite
    got only good notes ! *check the rating because i didn't bother before* heck even the rating is good !
    And true to the reviews, it got potential !
    PS: it's only after reading that i checked the tags and found the "Cute story" tag.

Now let's stop this discussion on rating, ranking, reviews, unless someone can't resist to add something.

9. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    I also read the good reviews, though, and the so-so reviews. Low star reviews can also come from people who just didn't understand the series or have some random personal reason to dislike it.

Really good reviews will tell you both the bad and the good, and can even let me know that a fairly bland looking series is actually a hidden gem.

Ubik and AliceShiki like this.
  10. Suou

Suou Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, the werecat girl. From the raws, Michelle is just her good/best friend.

Ubik likes this.
  11. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    umu. i read most of the reviews, take into account how much was written, the general depth of the reviews themselves and also the general number of reviews to each side of the rating spectrum. If it's a one or two line review, i dont put much weighting on it but if it's a long, clear review than i'll weight it more when i'm deciding.

I find the 2-4 star rating reviews to be most useful because they're not on either end of the spectrum but more middling

Moonpearl and Ubik like this.
  12. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, if there was nothing, will it will be better? Of course not, to judge novel only for tags or synopsis it will like get cat in a bag. On the other side, ratings, reviews, rankings of course they can't show "true value" because all opinions are biased. But latter are necessary evil, because you get not what PRed but some biased opinion which could match with yours. You could be warned about baits in novels. Ratings could be good if there are in similar genres (of course 5 in tragedy doesn't mean that it similar 5 as is in 5 in comedy). Rankings are more good in inderect information, more ranking usually means more releases or more stable release and/or good novel. Fairy was pretty much high in ranking when it was released daily, and IFV too. Reviews are too not universal, there cases of review bombing, bias against TL or another thing. But in overall all three gave good one opinion before you start a novel.

I kinda like one of system in steam where is implemented Curator system where there are some kind of group recommendation review (hell, there is even yuri curator there! did I forgot to mention that? :hmm:). It will be interesting to have here something like that.

In manga there was only mention that werecat still remained with him even all group was left to own devices before his death. But nothing further, maybe later there will be something about her.

P.S. If you anybody continues to read All of Humanity is Yuri Except For Me only me get a feeling it become worse and messier with each chapter?

Moonpearl likes this.
  13. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    I came across this art book and thought I'd share~! It has some pretty human x non human pairings.

Also this little short about women wearing trousers is nice~!

Ubik likes this.
  14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Over here trousers are a lot more common than skirts in all honesty...

Sometimes I was just wasting time at a shopping and tried counting how many women with skirts or dresses appeared for a dozen or so minutes... I don't think the number ever reached the double digits. It generally stopped at 0-2.

So... This short comes out as weird to me~

15. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    Trousers are common here, but I was simply admiring how handsome the characters looked~!

Ubik likes this.
  16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I ought to agree they did look pretty handsome indeed~

17. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought to share the oneshot when i appeared but didn't because i didn't like it much. Too manly for me. Also somehow i couldn't help but feel that the drawing style had similarities to
    Tima

Another thing
    Strangely for no reason, my intuition told me that a new series The Legend of the Witch Girl was yuri when it's not. Too bad i felt rally hyped for it.

Ubik likes this.
  18. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, from that anthology was oneshot that Tsuru ranted about being bland, and not good.
    If only it will be longer.
    I have similar when I thought that new novel from TL of Quick Transmigration: Fate Trading System about a witch will be yuri, nope it wasn't. Oh well.

On dynasty there is in sticker on main page that Fragtime receive anime adaptation. Unsure what can adapted in there? 3 min episodes?
    Have some mixed feelings in ongoing additions on dex, there was even yuri-subplot oneshot in Tsubomi in recent ones (they were long time on dynasty). Others are depressing. At least Todakoro-san is still nice, there were new chapter of Comprehensive Tovarisch (another extra) and new mecha-yuri chapter was very good.

And Fusoroi no Renri will receive official volume in Japan.

19. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Info: today i learned how to easily quote/reply parts of other peoples' posts.
    Not good in the sense : It's so cliche, boring and easy to predict that it's only worth it when you are really bored and there is nothing else to do.
    Yep kinda too short.
    Are you tired ? (subtle insinuation of : You should try to rest) You did a typo (I have similar = I had similar feelings or I thought the same)
    I read a few chapters (Fragtime) but somehow couldn't really like it, stopped because of fear of drama)
    But now i kinda want to finish it.
    *Go finish it, letting the post in hiatus*
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, 14/20. or maybe 12/20.
    Something that i would read only after i'm in a good mood because i read something good.
    Totally didn't recognize the name because it's been quite a while and the main reason because of the fusion of "i suck remembering names+it's a little long japanese title" made totally don't remember it.
    I really like the series but not the secondary couple (mainly because of a girl is a delinquent + violent and she got a mainly haircut).
    I kinda miss reading new updates of it. I wonder when I will get read a new one.
    Edit: MC: Cats are more important to you then me!
    FL: Cats don't hit me
    But yeah it's both funny and something i hate, i mean it's domestic violence so it should be normal to hate it right ? (don't really like seeing characters suffer, even villains, beside some exceptions)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Moonpearl and Ubik like this.
  20. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobparty: Yay! Now we need cure for cancer and world will be at peace :blobspearpeek:
    I wouldn't call it a drama per see, just a some psychological problems (when you cannot differentiate between where is real you or person in a "mask")
    It even has 3rd pair in raws (from the looks of it one is similar to MC and looks like older sister)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Raws at 34 chapter. (it's on twitter, author really likes photos of food).

Remember discussion about one oneshot Sisters Yuri? In that anthology was translated another one - Working Adults Yuri by Amano Shuninta, kinda like that author, and after reading I'm out of words. It's even much more worse than first one. I think it will be good to avoid that anthology for those who don't like tragedy or heavy drama. Ending was depressing as heck. Does all authors (they made very good ones) received task to make it same way? And of course there is discussion in comments.
    TLDR: don't like drama - avoid, those who can speculate how much end was bad - welcome to try.

P.S. and thanks for care for mine well being, if I will be in need for rest, I would not able able to post here.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019