Discussion There's a lot savage comments when it comes to isekai betrayal stories ...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Ettoine, Jun 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ettoine

Ettoine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...with smart and deceitful rival = Usually the other girl the Mc want to overthrow because she in turn was overthrow from her status quo.
    (maybe savage comments is not the right word....)

Am I the only 1 feeling uncomfortable? <_<
    Like I often read actual death threats, celebration when a character receive the most cruel punishment,.... I know its fiction... But still... Damn.

when I scroil down comments of some hot debates ( things with " I hope she died after despairing for years, with no leg or hand, have her family wiped out...) of the punishment the villain gets, it's almost like reading people from medieval times before they match to the accused witch or anyone who does something illegal and they are thinking to what cruelty they should do first.... Rifering to the specifics human torture that varies from crime to crime during medieval times.

I strangely once felt like I was reading the same type of derisive joyful hostility I felt when I watched a scene from Inuyashiki (people on Twitter" the netizens " doesn't hesitate with nthrowing deadly remarks ) when I read comments in some sites of stories(webtoon) inspired from web novels. Which varies from insult or cheering for punishment. A sort of" I'm sticking around only to see the b#### burn in the most horrible thing possible " vibe.

People going all out doesn't mind me those that goes to details for details of which inhuman cruelty act the villain should receive. Those borderline gore comment makes me go" I'm gonna pretend I didn't read that"....

Usually this sort of punishment by using physical and borderline inhuman treatment is something I'd read in those Chinese novel (beat her to death! ~) now I most often see hope for not death or equal punishment but physically and psychological torture in the readers commenting what they want for the villain.

Btw, I'm not talking about those going like"Rachel should die because she has done something horrible*cough* or take that evil woman! ".
    I think it's normal typing that in a pit of rage, scared me is those people typing the exact actions and action of the torture.(/-_-)/

In manga reading site where I read the webtoon adaptation of the novel, i came across a comment depicting details of the torture she/he imagined. I mean is that normal?

There's that weird thirst for blood to be spilled vibe not specifically justice (when the heroine us wronged) in some comments.

2. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't even need to be gore like that.
    Based on personal experience, the worst comment I've read is quite simple.
    "She deserves to get raped."

3. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I definitely feel that reading translated novels, particularly Chinese ones, have warped my sense of morality. I’m not as bad as the examples you gave, but I think my mindset is more vicious than it was a few years ago. Reading novels where bad things happen to the MC’s enemies, I do have to remind myself that thinking that way is not okay. I feel lucky that I haven’t fallen to the point where my former self would think of my current self as scum. (For example, as Maid Chan pointed out, I am still very much against rape for anyone.) :sweating_profusely:

Fuyuneko and imK like this.
  4. pandaqueen

pandaqueen Immature Dork

Reading List:
    Link
    eh... i’d like to think that people are writing these vicious comments cos it only pertains to fictional characters and is in no way a true reflection of their morality in real situation.

5. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's all popcorns :blobpopcorn: and confettis :blobparty: for them until it happens to them in real life. :blobspearpeek:

Side note : We need blob_keyboard.

Fuyuneko, SpiralGust and imK like this.
  6. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have seen some plenty... broken... comments.

"Deserves to get raped" is one of the highlights. Some villains MAY deserve worse than death but generally this is uttered when the person deserves a particulary vicious backhand at worst.

The usual "yikes" moments are when retribution is WAY out there. Rape scenes are the other top contender for "Wtf is wrong with these guys?".

(Half-)sister was tricked into betraying him and did considerable monetary damage?
    Death? For that? She didn't even act out of malice, wtf.

Four arseholes from a sect kidnapped the MCs sis?
    Death to the entire sect I guess.

Raped a woman, even if it saved her (for random reason x)?
    Totally fine.

Its a mess. And people wonder why I consider the average CN reader at least mildly mentally impaired. Those who unironically read garbage like ATG, AST etc? Skip the mildly. Rarely have I seen such degenerate comments.

Fuyuneko, imK and brigs11 like this.
  7. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They're fictional characters, I don't see a problem with it but some things you listed are certainly disturbing. People do weird things to relieve stress and hate, I suppose it's amplified when it involves something made for attracting hate getting destroyed.

SamStrike and imK like this.
  8. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh boy.

Years ago, you could easily stumble on videos of terrorists playing soccer with decapitated heads, necrophilia, CP, torture of war prisoners, and the like. Cuz people loved sharing these things.

Nowadays as a result of Google bleaching the Net, normal people simply don't see it anymore. But every once in a while or simply by navigating a little, you still end in places where moderation is conspicuous by its absence.

In a nutshell, humans in general have always been sadistic and cruel as fuck. Authorities&Websites just got better at moderating it, some countries better than the others.

ludagad, Fuyuneko, SpiralGust and 3 others like this.
  9. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of the song "savages", and yeah... humanity is messed up. Currently some echo chambers are overboosting certain types of pure stupidity and that is worrying me.

imK and Anra7777 like this.
  10. Ettoine

Ettoine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That too! Was one of those comment I read earlier! D:

11. Lord Luc

Lord Luc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You just have to remember that the story has a totally different setting (culture) than real life. In the story, it is probably fine for slaves to exist, etc.

People are probably saying disturbing things because they look at it from the story's culture's POV rather than modern society's POV.

imK likes this.
  12. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    More often than not... no. They simply lost any semblence of ability to judge what a reasonable response would be.

Fuyuneko, imK, Nimroth and 3 others like this.
  13. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Except such comments pop up even for stories set in modern society.

Fuyuneko and Ettoine like this.
  14. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You should also notice that when the betrayer is a woman (Tower of God, Shield Hero), the amount of vitriol tends to get a lot worse. This is not a coincidence.

Fuyuneko, imK and Anra7777 like this.
  15. All The Wrong Novels

All The Wrong Novels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really hate this aspect of some webnovels I've read, especially because I find the most satisfying revenge is more just their personal realization of seeing their plans get foiled and fall apart in front of them, but often that is abandoned in favor of some unnecessary torture fantasy.

imK and Nimroth like this.
  16. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably because the characters aren't potrayed as a "human", but simply as a 2d cardboard cut out villain archetype that was never meant to be anything but an object of rage.

It's a "failure" on both the author and commenters.

imK likes this.
  17. ImperialNero

ImperialNero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is why i never read chinese novels anymore since i think my morality got kinda warped. Idk why but china seems to be Obsessed with sadistic, violent, assertive ceo/young master and mcs. I tried to find similar websites like novelupdates to no avail since novelupdates kinda got dominated by chinese.

18. FalseNutrition

FalseNutrition Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We sometimes get overwhelmed with hatred that we comment some vile stuff. It does not mean we want to do it in real life albeit sounding vicious.

19. SilverFeather

SilverFeather [Seeker of Yuri]•[Likes tomboys]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sincerely kinda sadistic and all so I don't have much to say here... except the one from shield hero does indeed deserve at the very least death, it'd not be so bad if she only had done the thing she does at the start (although it's actually a big deal, I mean consider it's basically enough to ruin one person's life on just a whim of hers, meaning she probably had ruined others previously) and sought redemption... But no, she does more and apparently continues doing so without even showing any signs of attempting to change

I personally do not care if the one who deserves it is male or female, if they get a bad end for doing so it's satisfying
    Hmmmhmmm an interesting perspective, though probably, it's not enough in some cases, I mean someone who ruined not just one but instead the lives of multiple persons and would likely continue doing so walking down free after simply seeing their plans fall apart? Not enough, there's gotta be some balance between how much they have done and how much they end up paying back

Although I do agree that some comments go to extreme levels even for small stuff sometimes...

20. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The not a coincidence part applies as much to the writer as it does to the reader. What's revealing about Shield Hero is the entire way Malty's character is constructed and how manipulative the writing is. The fact that Shield Hero fans tend to solely refer to her as "Bitch" is a huge sign of how gross it is. Even if you don't personally feel the difference between male and female villains, there's definitely a difference between how writers portray them, and in how much of the audience reacts to this. And I say this from personal experience. Back when I was a younger reader, I used to instinctively react worse to female villains. Nowadays, I have a better understanding of how writers direct their readers so I'm a lot more critical about that kind of thing.

Also, bear in mind that this isn't restricted to male writers. Female writers do the same thing with their female villains. Romance novels like "Transmigrator Meets Reincarnator" do the same thing (admittedly for different reasons) and it's pretty gross there as well.

Anra7777 and SilverFeather like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.