Discussion Things you don't like in novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by lighterxx, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely agree, a good villain can make whole story a masterpiece I have no idea why authors ignore them completely

2. Sunspawn

Sunspawn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just an observation from a bookworm, but a lot of the webnovel writers are pretty bad at actually writing a story in the first place, thus need cardboard figures (which they call characters) to propel the plot forward. And since their only utility to the story is as plot devices, they hardly need personalities and depth to them, leading to most of the plot-irrelevant characters being flat and badly-written.

3. lighterxx

Reading List:
    Link
    But that is why real authors always spend years on one book while sketching the whole book in summary before writing, webtoon authors have to release chapters constantly and I doubt they are patient enough to share after finishing writing the book

4. Sunspawn

Reading List:
    Link
    It is certainly possible to write a "book" with a weekly/monthly chapter release schedule - it would require prior planning and a concrete plot that ends at a specific point. Most of the webnovels I see do not seem at all concerned with reaching an ending to the plot and just want to stretch the novel as much as possible.

lighterxx likes this.
  5. lighterxx

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah a good webtoon should be able to end aroung 100 but its so rare

6. Sunspawn

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't even have to end, just have concretely-defined arcs or seasons and plan each arc fully, separately (as long as it eventually, and not in a "10,000 chapters later" way, ends for good).

lighterxx likes this.
  7. Deleted member 185523

Deleted member 185523 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I really hate the racism I sometimes encounter. Like okay I get it if the author chose a person from a culter he/she knows (Japanes/Korean/Chinese) but please leave your stupid supiority complex out.
    I just want to read a story not have to be indocternated to believe in an Asian superrace - we all know that nekos are the only beings worthy of that discription
    Another anoying think are harem plotlines. - I really enjoy a romantic subplot but harem always seems so lazy, kinda like a wierd fetish thing from the author. Harmes are really stupid, when i take my dick out in public there are no catgirls getting uncounsius from the pure sex apeal or bounce at me - only some old catlady fainting and a catclaw scar on my dick

Sunspawn, firefox1234 and lighterxx like this.
  8. springsummer

springsummer Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this is probably a sort of unpopular opinion since lots of novels i read (and like) have this... but i don't like extended flashbacks that much. so many novels have the Middle of Plot --> Beginning of plot --> End of Plot --> (further flashbacks to fill up details from beginning) and it gets tiring sometimes, I wish it was all in one order without any flashbacks so the timeline is smooth. I do get the appeal though, but if I have haven't understood the setting yet (or the characters) it can get confusing ><

lighterxx likes this.
  9. Sheri_Yui_Chan

Sheri_Yui_Chan Fighting my final semester battles ⚔

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm too much
    1. Melodrama
    2. Miscommunicating couples
    3. Unnecessary misunderstandings
    4. For the sake of protagonist shine throwing unnecessary so called brainless antagonist
    And the list continues:blobfearful:

lighterxx and Sunspawn like this.
  10. Asada24

Asada24 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would be honest. I seriously hate novels like Emperor Domination where the plot is repeated over and over....literally thousand times.
    I seriously wonder how people can read its 2000 chapters :D

I also hate the over nationalism in Chinese novels...which treats other countries like garbage...it is really irritating.

11. Jae lautner

Jae lautner Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like it when in novels with dominating male they don't consider FL's feeling. Just ML likes her harass her and then she falls in love with him .

lighterxx and Fulminata like this.
  12. Sunspawn

Reading List:
    Link
    The amount of times I had to forbid myself from continuing to comment on various power fantasy novels because I just ended up arguing with fanboys who absolutely love seeing cardboard antagonists is astounding. I blame it on the writers being shit at actually writing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.