Thinking of moving to Linux.

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Vex, Mar 25, 2018.

?

Linux or Windows

Poll closed Mar 26, 2018.
  1. Windows for the win!

55.8%
  2. Linux for freedom!

44.2%
  1. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Heya!
    So I am thinking of installing Linux on my home laptop, replacing Windows 10.

I have a HP Probook 4440s business version or something. The problem is with the Windows software. It's glitchy and hangs a lot. Plus despite being an i3 it's slower than my Sempron during interaction. The logging hangs a lot, especially when you simply close the laptop instead of shutting off everything. Starting on the apps like Word and Excel take a lot of time.Instead of instant response , it takes a good minute or more to start. That too after several clicks.
    Even light apps like IDM, PDF or Chrome ( is it a light app?) a good amount of time.

I usually use it for surfing, presentation and excel, along with gaming like Civ5 , Prison Architect and so on. And yeah...watching animes. Oh and a bit of photo editing here and there...

The problem is I am not a frequent user of Linux. I have used it in my college ( Zorin and Mint). But it's usually for some short work like editing or surfing. So is it worth changing? And I should change to which version? Is it easy to use?

And how's your experience with Linux?

And will Webnovel Convertor work?

Will the laptops hardware cause any problems. Like the biometrics, WiFi adaptor, can etc.

And I am a total newb with Linux. I know basic operation, but don't expect me to programme or well use CMD etc.

P.S for people who will ask me to repair my laptop...I have already done it once. Not in a mood to loose all my data again. -_-

P.S.S The software is official.

2. jalog100

jalog100 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Linux now to this day is super easy to configure if you instal ubuntu+libreoficce+steam you are good to go, the problem is when you have "not So legal" games because configure it is a pain in the ass some timEs you can't do it

3. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    Linux is a free sofwtaware, free in the regard that you can touch the codes for edit. IS good software for students, that I was told in school.

Anyways, the problem with Linux as far as I can remember is compatibility issues.
    Win 10 hanging what do you mean exactly?
    Like is freezes without any reason right?
    You can always do a full reset and install drivers again is only hours of time
    Maybe is a old driver or a virus.
    That's only my opinion

4. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    Try to see this

5. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Well hanging is just a part of the problem.
    I have tried a full reset, but it doesn't works. Plus the Win 10 is too expensive to buy another one.

6. Alski

Alski <Insert other title here> Level 25

Reading List:
    Link
    It sounds more like a hardware issue tbh. Time to upgrade.

7. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    Costumized~

8. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes come to the linux side.

Become a Coordinator and leave the naturals behind.

lol, either is fine but if you don't have much know how then stick to windows.
    linux is nice but if you don't know your way around then it might as well be a maze.

9. Nydestroyer

Nydestroyer Special Name.

Reading List:
    Link
    Linux and windows are really for different things, if your windows is freezing it is probably something that can be solved by looking up the "start over" option in windows 10, which let's you fresh install the os as if you had just did a complete wipe of everything. If it can't be solved by that it can be a multitude of things from hard drive failure to ram issues. Switching to Linux is at most going to hide the problem if it's a hardware issues (as its less resource intensive than windows). Honestly I would recommend looking into duel booting your pc for both Windows and Linux(because if you have a full copy of windows don't waste it, it's not exactly cheap)

10. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, I have another for college and business use. But I needed something for home use, and well here it is. And before upgrading to 10 it use to work fine, but ever since...it's a nightmare.

I doubt my laptop can support a dual booth. I don't think it's an hardware issue as it use to work fine with Windows 8.1.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2018
  11. vyragd

vyragd horo a qt

Reading List:
    Link
    just use ubuntu like every sane people out there, you must know some terminal command but it's nothing that takes more than 10 minutes to learn, try using xubuntu and rice it to your preference

i also was using windows 10 because of college work i have to do in office, but once i dont have to do stuff in office that much anymore i changed to xubuntu and never went back.

also if you don't know how to do <a> for example just google how to do <a> in ubuntu and results will show up

12. Nydestroyer

Nydestroyer Special Name.

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, windows 10 64 bit takes 2 gigs of ram while your laptop only has 4... could easy be you have too many programs running now and are running on virtual memory from your hard drive(when you max out your ram usage it starts using the hard drive to do ram stuff and it slows to a also frozen like crawl depending on your read/Write speed)

It should support it just fine, it dosn't take anything special besides a partition on the HD. You won't ever be using both at once you choose one or the other. So you can just use linux all the time and swap to windows when you really need to for a game or something. I have dual booted an hp pavilion 2 before with no problem and that things crap.

13. vyragd

vyragd horo a qt

Reading List:
    Link
    any laptop can run dual boot, because you dont run both OS at once, it doesnt have anything to do with hardware specs

Vex likes this.
  14. f.m.

f.m. Great Unambitious Eccentric

Reading List:
    Link
    either u have toaster for a laptop or its time to trade in... regarding linux there's a lot of distro out there, n i have to agree that Linux have some compatibility issues even with WINE...

15. Kishimura

Kishimura 騎士村

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm you like playing games, don't change. Games is not important? Then yes, change it.

You can also dual boot if you want to.

16. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    my rec is backtrack, kali or arch Linux if you dare and able to use em...:D

17. Alski

Alski <Insert other title here> Level 25

Reading List:
    Link
    If he upgraded from an earlier 32bit windows he's screwed:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

18. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try Linux without installing. There are a few "live" distributions you can use.

Last time I tried one, it was the Ubuntu one.

19. Vex

Vex Eat-Sleep-Repeat

Reading List:
    Link
    I have tried cleaning up background processes, uninstall softwares and clear cache, temps etc. But still faced the same problem.

I will try dual booting.

Nah...I am on and was on 64 bit.

Lol...it's not that bad. Atleast it works.

Nope. Not a gamer. I rarely play games.

Will it will have some hardware issues? Like compatibility issues with WiFi and bluetooth, along with the biometrics.