Discussion third pov or first pov

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by eskarleh, Nov 26, 2021.

Tags:
?

first or third?

1. first

2. third

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. eskarleh

eskarleh i'm tired

Reading List:
    Link
    which do you prefer?

i can't stand first pov, so whenever I see "i..." when i open a novel i immediately close the tab and search for a new one. first pov makes me feel some type of way and not in a good way and it's probably from all the cringe ya novels i've read in the school library as i was growing up.

so i'm curious as to which y'all prefer, first or third?

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely 1st person PoV~

While I don't dislike 3rd person narratives, they just feel less charming to me, I guess... I just love seeing things from the perspective of the character, seeing what they're thinking and feeling at each given moment. And I love seeing their limited perspective, their lack of knowledge on what exactly is happening around them, or what other people are feeling.

3rd person tends to give you a bit too much information, which isn't as fun for me... Same thing for 1st person that constantly changes who the narrator is.
    And well, I also don't like 3rd person not giving you as much insight on the actual thoughts of the main character, which is the thing I love reading about the most... Not to mention how the 3rd person narrator can often times end up telling you about the motivations or inner thoughts of some other character, which ends up ruining a bit of the fun that I could have had if I had only seen things from the MC's PoV~

So, because of that, I prefer 1st person... But well, 3rd person also works out fine, and I can enjoy it too... Just not as much as 1st person~

Baldingere likes this.
  3. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For personal slice of life, 1st.

For bigger stories, generally 3rd, with the Dresden Chronicles being an exception.

1st person also clues me in faster in case the author is an insufferable SOB faster.

Most older stories like the majority of HP Lovecraft's stories or Hodge's House on the Borderland are good 1st person, but the limitations can readily be seen.

4. Hancock23

Hancock23 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I generally prefer the third-person point of view, but I don't dismiss first-person books without giving them a chance since I have come across some real gems in 1st person POV.
    In the end, the author is the final determinant of whether a book can be enjoyed or not. If the narrator's POV is too limited, I usually feel as if they are passersby in the plot rather than protagonists. If the 3rd person POV is too unlimited, the story lacks mystery which makes it very boring.

5. ValiDxD

ValiDxD 『White Dragon Emperor』『Wine Lover』

Reading List:
    Link
    I like them both but I'm more used with 3rd pov since I read very few jp novels where 1st pov is more used.

6. Aki9012

Aki9012 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In general, I'd prefer 3rd person, but it's prolly coz I think 1st person pov is difficult to pull off (and coz 100% of the physical novels that I love are in 3rd person).
    I feel like first person pov can get repetitive and annoying a bit easily, and it may sometimes get confusing/exhaustive too, since the author has to work harder for the readers to get the bigger picture (for which they often end up whimsically switching from 1st to 3rd person pov.) But when done right, I like 1st person pov better... One eg. of this is Rebirth of the Movie King. It actually goes to 3rd person narration quite frequently as well, but a lot of times, it's 1st person pov of the MC for any particular arc actually makes me anticipate on... wth does the ML think about this? This happened to me soooo many times throughout my read of this novel, and I like it for that.

7. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    3rd I'd say. It feels more like a story playing out than 1st.

8. Deleted member 202210

Deleted member 202210 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It really depends on how it is written.

I love 3rd POVs when the author is so skilled in imagery. Details can't be given by the 1st POV since of course there are limits to a person's perspective. Though I am not trying to recommend novels here but let me give some examples. Lol. OVERLORD LN is written in 3rd POV and I enjoy reading every detail of each scene. I like learning about all the character's inner thoughts in the scene. This type of POV is so much effective if the story does not only focus on one character, rather it gives the spotlight to even the side characters as well.

Then if for example a story strongly revolves around one person, the MC, well that's where the 1st pov is effective since the author is trying to show us the MC's world using the MC's perspective, together with its limits in telling us the details. An example for this is KENKYO.

I don't see much of a difference between the two because it really depends on the author's skills and my preferences.

Well, of course it's only my opinion.

AliceShiki likes this.
  9. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer 3rd, but I will 1st if it's well written.

10. hansora

hansora Someone Who Seeks Fluff & Heartwarming Stories

Reading List:
    Link
    3rd POV all the time but, 1st if the novel is so good

11. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer 3rd. It just seems more smooth. 1st... sometimes it feels kinda cringy :blobsweat_2:

And like, "X jumped up 10 feet" vs "I jumped up 10 feet"... description in 1st sometimes feels a little :sweating_profusely:

eskarleh likes this.
  12. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer third person while reading, but I can't write in third person at all. :blobsad:

13. melonsugar

melonsugar Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can read both. I like 1st when I was younger but now I like 3rd more. It depends on the novel, if it's good then it's good, pov doesn't matter

14. Dog food please

Dog food please Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm fine with first povs, but then I started reading C-novels which are in 3rd povs soooo and it's reallyyyyyyy good :blobok:

15. torper2

torper2 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually just do not notice it at all . I've read like 10 novels and i have no idea which one of them are 1st or 3rd lol

Deleted member 343051 likes this.
  16. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No particular preference, if the novel is interesting I read it no matter if it's 1st or 3rd. I've never seen an interesting novel in 2nd person so I'm not sure how I would feel about that. I mentioned in another thread that I tend to see scenes as from kind of an isometric viewpoint, and the POV doesn't change that.

For writing, I've written stories in 3rd and 1st person before and 1st feels more intimate when writing while 3rd more detached, and artificial, but flexible. Unlike reading my POV when writing changes to nearer(but not quite the same) as the type I'm writing.

17. Windsley

Windsley Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no problem with both, but at the moment I'm more into third pov as the novels i read are mainly CN

18. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link

Questioning the readers preference, Eskerleh explains his inexplicable distaste towards first person narrative.

Dropping the novel in drop of a hat, at the first instance of "I". It reminds him of his childhood cringe novels in school library.

He looks around in curiosity, hoping to learn if there were others like him too.

There now it's better.

Ps: a mix I'd say, a rule of thumb "if there's too many I's then it's a no no."

19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    none all depend on execution really~

hmm so you never see interesting choice your own adventure type? it usually there while sometime it use 3rd pov~

20. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the kind of novel it is for me. 1st person POV is really nice for hearing character's thought processes and following character development and 3rd person POV is better for wider world building and action (Although this depends on people's preferences really).

What I can say with confidence though is that 2nd person POV disgusts me. I abhor those xReader fanfics more than anything else.