This Community(A Tiny Loud Part) Has Unrealistic Expectations

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    There are two rules
    1. NU : After 1 month a new translator can pick it up
    2. NUF: After 3 months you can make a pick up request
    No 2 became accepted by the community as the standard possibly because of Reddit , well a subreddit has a 2 month rule.
    Then it became After 3 months, bow down to the previous translator sama and hope that he lets you translate the novel.

I simply followed the rules and when you contact translators, they usually do not reply

reagents 11, uziex91 and Fossil like this.
  2. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. Pretty sure besides more ad revenue, that’s the major reason people split chapters.

Ah~ The main thing that I remember hearing is when you snatch away the final chapters of a translation. Haven’t seen it happen, but I’ve heard of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
    Femme Fatale likes this.
  3. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    Wuji, i think you have to spell out who are you targeting those arguments to. If you say the community you're dragging all the other bystander's hate to you without anyof them noticing what your argument is about..

Kuro_0ni, Pau, Anra7777 and 3 others like this.
  4. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they are talking about one novel : The Time I Got Reincarnated As Slime
    I think it was over 100 chapters that were left, I might be wrong. I am currently translating the side stories.
    The other novel that comes to mind is Girl Who Ate the Death God: Translator dropped it and shutdown her free WordPress website
    There is also Evil God Average that didn't have any chapters for a year or so.
    But as usual, they need to embellish so they can play the victim, it is psychology 101.

Fair enough. I should edit my thread and say a section of loud members

Pau, reagents 11 and Fossil like this.
  5. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    Mm. I remember you saying you were finishing Death God, and no one complaining. As for Evil God Average, I haven’t even seen their translator translate in forever.

Never mind. They’re still active.

6. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kinda off-topic, but I was just thinking Wujigege would make a fine tank. He's a pro at pulling aggro. :blobpeek:

mangoberry, Kuro_0ni, Pau and 7 others like this.
  7. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, I don't care one way or the other as long as I can keep reading Magi craft meister. Speaking of which... status?

Wujigege likes this.
  8. Ushiyama Tatsuma

Ushiyama Tatsuma Devilish Judoka • Big Breeder ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Woo! Almost missed out but luckily checked in just in time,had a gut feeling sum'n was goin' on! Now,where's my popcorn?.:blobcozy:

Wujigege likes this.
  9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Something else that also caused what I consider unnecessary hate: dropping novels.
    I did a lot of teaser projects because someone requested I translate one chapter, with no promise of continuing more than that 1 chapter.
    I also translated novels I like initially but got almost zero views, I had to learn how to pick novels.
    But it is mostly the first thing, usually during Christmas and New Year, I do a lot of teaser chapters.
    Also during my birthday, I release lots of teaser chapters which is essentially me throwing money away since I pay for each unless my friend gives me a free chapter haha

New chapter tomorrow

uziex91 and UnGrave like this.
  10. TrignoCopper

TrignoCopper Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One other question for you @Wujigege before I can decide which side of this argument to support: do you like Japanese novels? From what you've posted in the past I was under the impression that you distain Japanese novels and was honesty confused as to why you'd translate them.

uziex91 likes this.
  11. uziex91

uziex91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh right... it was slime. So you're translating the side stories? Nice!

Btw, another one I remembered was that average ability novel.... I think?. But it was just for a couple of chapters if I'm not mistaken.

Wujigege likes this.
  12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I won't read them even if I am paid, I don't read any of the novels that my site currently translates.
    The only one I read and dropped before I started translating it is Return of the 8th Class Mage and its Korean.
    Starting a translation website was out of spite because I did not like how translators seemed so elitist.
    My goal is to do subtitles for.. wait for it.. Japanese dramas.
    So yeah you can say that I technically love Japanese novels, I just prefer to consume them in dorama form.
    Besides, life is more fulfilling when you make others smile instead of focusing on yourself.
    At least that is what I think.

Yes, correct. I was told that the translator dumps bulk releases every few months even though its MTL crap. I don't fight over novels so I didn't continue.
    As for Slime, I respond forcefully to threats, besides I already told the readers I would complete the novel which I did. It was a matter of credibility.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2019
    Pau, reagents 11 and TrignoCopper like this.
  13. Ushiyama Tatsuma

Ushiyama Tatsuma Devilish Judoka • Big Breeder ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    They boutta quote this lil' bit and bring up your past and recent antics,I'm already chuckling.

Wujigege likes this.
  14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha, I am very polite. Being nice and being a doormat are not the same thing.
    I respond forcefully to threats, there is the whole be gentle as a dove and wise as a serpent schtick

[​IMG]

15. TrignoCopper

TrignoCopper Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see, thank you for the answer. I'll have to think about this for a bit, since somehow you're operating on feelings of both spite and charity, and I'm not sure which is worth more in this case.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha humans are complicated creatures.
    Many respond "go learn the language"
    I know my strengths, I can't learn it well enough to translate.
    So I hired translators and started a website, I never pretended to be a fan translator.
    Since the translators have to be paid, my website is optimized to pay said translators.
    It would be naive and stupid to do otherwise.
    People hate it when people do things differently from what they are used to.
    I didn't learn the language and start translating in the sense of the word that they wanted
    but I am translating novels
    Many have claimed that my translators are slaves and I am stealing their credit.
    I find it laughable, Android is made by Google, not developer John Carson in the desk in Google Offices
    Over and out!

17. uziex91

uziex91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aah... Bulk release huh. how would the NU rules from before apply for those then? Because it seems like there are translators who released a large bulk in months or something, not just a couple of chapters.

18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Some hold the novel ransom and on the 89th day release a chapter.
    Humans are petty.
    NU rules is two releases a month to be an active translator.
    I learnt the hard way, those who split chapters into parts can take advantage of that rule.
    I had to learn or suffer.
    Imagine a novel with 10k words chapters like Kuro no Maou
    I release a chapter but dont get added to NU
    Another dude releases 2k words and 2 parts of 1k each and becomes the active translator.
    It was ridiculous. I did find a middle ground
    Instead of splitting the chapters and there being time between releases, chapter 1 part 1 monday chapter 1 part 2 wednesday.
    I released the entire chapter the same time/day, even if it is split into 100 parts.
    That prevents readers from getting cut off in the middle of the chapter.

PS: If I am not responding to your posts then you are in my ignore list.
    Do yourself a favor.
    Don't waste your time.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  19. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah i just think none have gone seriously out for his head yet. Or seriously conspired to.

otaku31 likes this.
  20. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    When I read this I felt like slamming my head into a wall. It all makes sense now. Are you trying to judge quality by reader comments? If so, I can totally guess how this started. Some unjustified complaints made you blast the commenters, but you didn't specify who exactly and a lot of other readers took offense. This led to cycle of you s***ing on them and them s***ing on you and any constructive criticism got lost in the noise.

With no real idea of the quality of your own site's translations, the translators would have lost all reason to do quality work. Even if a translator was a good guy who started honestly meaning to give it his best, seeing others paid the same for 1/3 the effort would have gradually killed their work ethic.

LordCorwin and uziex91 like this.