Discussion This is not a shit post.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lazriser, May 1, 2019.

1. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was midnight. The hour point of slumber, deep sleep into temporary rest for the living. In a room resembling order mixed with chaos, and before the black device of information, seated the human behind the user. The human was bored, extremely so in depression yet filled with enthusiasm to relief the boredom. It was an eternal transition between 『something』 and 『nothing』. Ah, the infinity in-between thought and action, was the only bliss for this human. Trapped in the delusion of immortality, forever locked in an endless loop of 『activity』and 『inactivity』.

Facing the screen, the human typed the reoccurring memory to actualization. Simply said and done, the human created a thread in the forum. The human inputted...

「This is going to sound dumb as fuck, but do keep with me in a slightly serious tone. I tried searching it up, but I'm lazy as sloth the sin and creature, which inevitably leads us to this thread. Asking the forum a very serious topic to the me as of now.
    It could be meaningless, useless, and worthless to you, but it will definitely assist me in the roundabout future.」

Thinking it was not enough, the human typed another input before the question.

Ahem, ahem.

The human believed it would be more appeasing to add emotion to the words. Bringing motion and life to anything deemed dead, was this human's source of killing boredom. The human liked to be human, both in the web, and out the flesh. Back to the original purpose of the thread, the human finally typed the final line and objective of this midnight pastime.

「Is sentience dimensionless or not?」

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Bad Storm likes this.
  2. Heimdallr

Heimdallr [I-don't-know-what-to-write-here]

Reading List:
    Link
    I miss the kids asking about their homework....their questions were easy...

I guess sentience only exists in the form of physical bodies so it should not be possible for it to be dimensionless

naghi32 likes this.
  3. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    No, '[sentience]' is 2D. I mean literally. If it was dimensionless I wouldn't be able to see the damn word.

Superioreos likes this.
  4. gauthamc

gauthamc [Dao of the Lonely Island]

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the context. If you are talking about novels then most novels have souls in them and sentience is closely linked to the soul and spirit. If you are talking about real life then that's a complex topic mate and I can only give you my opinion if I had one but I'm not that informed regarding this.

Cheeky.

5. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobhyperthink: well, is water dimensionless?

6. campfire

campfire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    is dumb dimensionless?

7. campfire

Reading List:
    Link
    Water is three-dimensional; it acts as a three-dimensional object.

8. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    So bascially we are referring sentience as a 3D thing. But from Wikia
    Sentience is the capacity to feel, perceive or experience subjectively.[1] Eighteenth-century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience). In modern Western philosophy, sentience is the ability to experience sensations (known in philosophy of mind as "qualia"). In Eastern philosophy, sentience is a metaphysical quality of all things that require respect and care. The concept is central to the philosophy of animal rights because sentience is necessary for the ability to suffer, and thus is held to confercertain rights.

If you must put it, it is more on the alley with the concept of time. Can we really quantity feelings as real? Yes because it has effects to this 3D world. Can it be seen? No, but like time itself, the effects are observable. Then is it 4D (or 5D) like time? Or is it 0D as it is based on individuals instead of affecting the grander scheme of things? I dunno, cuz I got a fucking D for Philosophy and Literature for that matter.

Bad Storm likes this.
  9. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Is water wet

10. campfire

Reading List:
    Link
    I think for something to be called wet, then that something is to be covered or saturated with water or another liquid.

11. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. Wait... I'm not that old... am I?:sweating_profusely:
    You mean the brain and the mechanics behind the brain? Well, I was more thinking about whether sentience as a whole is observable or not, and by that, in what dimension if not dimensionless? I understand I'm asking for too much, so you can just reply with either dimensionless or dimensional ^ N, with some brief explanation as to why (optional).
    As expected of you, fellow kin of mine. We truly are... alike in a sense.
    Indeed, I ask of the whole structure and process, rather than the result and mechanics behind it. As I said to the first poster, you may simply reply as you what understand or not. I know I ask too much from the common folk.
    No.
    Likely so, if we're looking non-physically.
    Pun intended?

12. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:
    Sounds complicated and needs a professional view, I suggest you search in philosophy, for example you should find something in this book "The Self: Naturalism, Consciousness, and the First-Person Stance"

13. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    If I could motivate myself to do all that or at least some of that... I would not have created this thread, would I?
    Sigh, my laziness knows no bounds. Truly, I am an sinful advocate and zealous sinner.

14. campfire

Reading List:
    Link
    If you think so, then you already have your answer to your statement. Unless you are defining sentience as something that can be seen.

15. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I have no definite answer yet.
    I'm searching if sentience is something containable as a structure observable with our own eyes, rather than process and result. It would be nice to see sentience itself as something tangible.

Of course, I'm already committing an error, because for it to be dimensionless, there would be no observation or concept of time, which consciousness in essence has, but differs due to relativity. So yeah, I'm overreaching my mediocre knowledge about consciousness. I just want to know, if what others believe might solidify my speculations about consciousness.

Meloman likes this.
  16. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe that it was in fact a shit post cleverly disguised as an existential crisis.

So, for that I give you this round. :blobsalute:

17. Bitter Sweet

Bitter Sweet 『Gomi Delivery Service』

Reading List:
    Link
    Top ten things to think about alone at midnight. :blobcat_hyper:

18. campfire

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's say there are AI programmed to enough to qualify as sentience. What would you think about this? To observe coding on each process of thought the AI makes. Is sentience still dimensionless or not?

I don't like philosophy, so I am just asking you about a scenario related to your question.

19. listener

listener Tony's Friend

Reading List:
    Link
    nah, sentience is aliens :cookie:

20. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Sentience-as in ability to feel or perception or awareness (dictionary) in French there is a verb sentir- to feel.
    Dimensionless- ant bound with boundaries, edges , caged.
    Can feelings be bound or caged? Possibly under extreme circumstances.
    Artificial Intelligence having sentience- a different discussion- but that word sentience is more like Self-awareness.
    I feel xyz, therefore I am. Like the I think therefore I am, using the verb to be.
    Being , as in existence, existing- that can’t really be put in a box as there would always be a bigger box imaginable. Thus it is boundless and hence dimensionless as sentience refers to something like feeling whether a noun or a verb.
    I might not know the limits of the cosmos but I do FEEL awe and wonder when looking up into the starry skies. My sentience is aware of the awesomeness and boundlesness of the world we sort of able to perceive (which is a contradiction in itself), but this it shows that we can feel (sentience) that which we actually can’t feel (touch) physically.