This Was Surprising : 7Seas Game

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Wujigege, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I am quite surprised that a major company started a kickstarter to fund a project.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/s7games/conan-savage-legends/description

I am also surprised on the popularity of Tabletop games. I know Magic is a big deal but I was thinking the games have transitioned into mobile apps.
    With this I won't shy away from using Kickstarter, Patreon or some other platform to fund my next project

2. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    DnD is making a comeback. Twitch streaming had a big role to play. Plus if you look at most gamers with money to spare, they're 25+ and few didn't grow up playing Trpgs. Combine this with new players coming in because of shows like Critical Role etc and your local Adventure League it's just so much cooler to have Trpgs, when you can even play them online

Another thing is recently H.P. Lovecraft's works are more public domain. Which means everyone and their puppy can create Eldritch themed games. So it's just more fun to play with real people instead of online discord chats

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly, I grew up too poor to play any of these even watching Pokemon was a luxury. I did encounter Magic in college though but I found playing FIFA more interesting, as I got older, I started preferring strategy so I played a lot of Football Manager later

otaku31 likes this.
  4. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    Not new nor surprising.

Oh no, completely different audience. I'd rather be fucked sideways than touch a mobile game.

We're seeing some hybrids, e.g. board games with a soundtrack or an app or a website, but mobile apps can't substitute the social aspect, there's vast quality differences, there's the physical aspect and so on. Board games are more niche but there's a dedicated audience of group and solo players shelling out money. The #1 game on BGG, Gloomhaven is a kickstarted game, for example. Or 7th Continent, also a great game.

As for card games, Netrunner was big but is discontinued officially, and now there's Keyforge which is very interesting conceptually. Magic is still going strong of course. I'm not as up to date on this front though.

Simpler board games still reach a wider audience, especially games for kids, though everyone has a phone now so it's difficult to compare. In general board games are cool again, sorta. And as someone else said D&D got a lot of attention in the recent years.

Do you think you'll have an audience that pays as gladly as that of board games?

5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    My next project is not a board game and I dont know enough about board games and card games. I am working on a comics project

6. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    Well yeah, to most people (and that includes me) that grew up outside of US/Western Europe/Japan the 90s weren't time you spent on playing IRL games and even video games were allowed only because the adults didn't understand just what sorts of impact it would eventually have.
    But that being said, it's never too late to get into DnD. My first game wasn't an in person thing. It was over discord. You can check Roll20 if you want to get into the scene

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I need to learn at least to be able to produce content.
    I am looking at turning books into a transmedia franchise.
    Imagine a novel turned into a comic, mobile game and board game.
    I hope you can teach me a lot