Discussion Throne of magical arcana, problem

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Mount Tai Unleashed, Dec 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a problem with this novel, it is how the author tries to meld both science and magic often explaining magic with with actual science now this is fine, the real problem occurs when pure fantasy magic like future prediction and prophecy is thrown in.. seriously, you can't f*cking explain that sh*t with science.

More of a gripe than problem
    "I might be still trapped there when someday you enter the legendary dimension. I do not expect that you’ll come specially for me, but if you find me, please free me. Don’t go there when you’re not prepared. The legendary dimension is dangerous even for senior-rank mages and archmages."
    Lucien’s body was covered with goose bumps. He felt the author of Astrology and Magic Elements was communicating with him across time and space through the notes.
    Lucien quickly turned the pages and wanted to know more about this world. The fragmented description and explanation was more than confusing to him.
    "There is a crystal ball called Morning Light in the left drawer of the desk, and in the right drawer I left my self-made magic item for you. Its name’s Sun's Corona. It can help you sense the gaps existing between the World of Souls and the main world late at night. Gaps exist throughout the whole continent.
    "The seal on Sun’s Corona is made of five layers. Each time when you reach a new level, say, junior-rank mage, middle-rank mage, senior-rank mage, archmage and legendary archmage, one layer of the seal will be unlocked, and you will be able to use the magic of that level. When the last layer of the seal is unlocked, you’ll be able to find the dangerous but interesting place I mentioned before.
    Is it just me or is this a deus ex machina ball?

2. tranquilmelodies

tranquilmelodies Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If my dao of MTL is sufficient, the astrology system is based on determinism.
    There are some discussions on the matter when quantum mechanics and the like gets introduced.
    There might be a bit based on how the world is shaped, but I don't think I've gotten to the part where that's been fully explained.

I don't recall it being as big of a deal as it sounds. It's simple a high level tool that gets used along side all other other arsenal of magic and tools. Probably closer to a Chekov's ball then a Deus Ex Ball.

Well, I can't be all that helpful in explain time and MTL isn't good on the brain cells.

3. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    I also forgot, there's also the fact that the mc is reincarnated. You couldn't explain that with science if you tried LOL, I shouldn't of taken the science in the novel seriously in the first place.

4. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    You're not supposed to question transmigration. The ball is an artifact of sorts?
    It did a good job sometimes, explaining magic through science. I had fun reading it.

Anyhow, Throne, ... It's not badly written but ... the author made it (the novel as a whole) more complicated than he could handle, that's what I feel reading Throne, if that makes sense. It doesn't feel ... focused?

5. potatogod31

potatogod31 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    According to the novel, the natural laws of the world(modern) in which the mc was born in and the laws of the world(magic) in which he was reincarnated are identical. So all laws of science from the 'modern' world work in the 'magic' world as well. However, it is unclear whether or not magic existed in the 'modern' world. The mc was a common college student so he may have been ignorant of the magic world. So there may be actual laws of science that governs the nature of things of magical nature such as souls and life force but haven't been made public knowledge or simply the mc was ignorant of them.

6. Eriht

Eriht Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Especially when he started to create new "science" just to show his OPnes
    like: hundreds millions of years and extremely low chance? Nah two weeks are enough to create life

7. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    Throne spans so many fields of science, crams in magic as well, crams in politics, crams in music, and keeps up a high pace. Apparently there's also more romance later on (only a little bit of it so far). It tries to do so much and other factors like characterization and just general suspense of disbelief suffer as a consequence. It tries to do everything, yet fails at excelling.

Invalid criticism. Kind of cheap, actually, because the author did his research better than you.

You misread Throne. Life substance does not equal life. Aspartic acid was named, which is not a form of life, it's an organic molecule: an amino acid.

This experiment in Throne is based on the famous Miller-Urey experiment: starting from some specific simple molecules, plenty of different amino acids were formed under early earth conditions within a week. It's not even difficult to do: you need electricity and some simple substances, mix and heat them and run current through them for a week and voilà. And let aspartic acid be one of the amino acids formed in the Miller-Urey experiment, and also those after!

Why is it so important, molecules being formed spontaneously? Because those are important for the creation of life as we know it. Due to the experiment, we know that the first essential building blocks of life form very easily from inorganic substances, a strong indication that life could form itself spontaneously. No idea where the modern research is at right now.

In conclusion: a famous experiment, easy to conduct. Why wouldn't the transmigrated protagonist remember it? Honestly, most of the scientific experiments are well written, nice research by the author. I didn't read all of it again but I think I'm remembering this correctly.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    mrttao likes this.