Discussion Throne of magical arcana

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by ameeranegundi, Feb 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ameeranegundi

ameeranegundi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it good ?? How's action , magic system and Romance in this novel

2. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's good imo
    Magic=Science
    Natasha is the best waifu

toyspeed and ameeranegundi like this.
  3. bored nobody

bored nobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is pretty good novel IMHO. The blend of science and magic is done in really intriguing way.. Hats off to the author!!!

ameeranegundi likes this.
  4. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It has a very different approach to most novels we have seen. It takes heavy inspiration from real world events , in essence the MC is a Musician transferred into the world of magic. Uses his Musical knowledge to gain popularity , giving it a very unique slice-of-life feel , but it's not boring , it's pretty great to be honest. Amazing writing.

The Magical system has a unique level-up mechanic. It's based around "science" , you could call it magi-science or as per title I guess Arcana.
    So naturally the MC has some knowledge of modern day science , eg quantum physics the knowledge is very usefull in his magical journey. The scientific makeup of the world is similar , but not necessarily the same, hence magic.

The battles between mages then naturally are base more on the understanding of arcana , but also an element of luck ,suprise and so on.

There's also the church (half the world is pro mages, half pro religion) and they hunt each-other. Church has it's own miracle-faith system.

5. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's great. Though I'm peeved about the Church killing magicians just because they can use magic. Also sometimes it feels like reading an academic book.

6. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is very much above average. Just little bit less as it is more like academic with less fighting and less epic moments.

7. SamStrike

SamStrike Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the reason I dropped it- is because I could never get behind the boring music slice of life for me. I didn't enjoy one bit the music part of the novel and always skimmed through it, I found it very boring but others seems to like it. Just personal taste.

8. Dark4Santa

Dark4Santa Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I ask whether there would be some side characters that would develop alongside the MC complementing his weaknesses, ones that wouldn't just disappear but ones that actually somewhat taught by the MC and will join him or help him?? I've read LOTM and that made me have a high expectation of this Novel since they have the same author.

9. Bachingchung

Reading List:
    Link
    Those are my jam. But I love classical music so that's probably why.

10. tranquilmelodies

tranquilmelodies Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    faith was a means to gain power. You are seeing two systems of power. 'Magic' where one grows by their understanding of the universe, and 'faith' where one grows through the faith of other people. Classifying magicians as evil is a means of controlling the masses and keeping their faith under control through fear and ignorance.

When it comes to the SoL of arcane research then yes. His insights help people to grow and have their own insights. He also has a core of researchers that he teaches. Though, I think, most of that is more offscreen. There's a bigger focus on him trying to bring his modern knowledge into the arcana system.

On the plot/action aspect. The situation tends to necessitate him being solo. There are situations where he does work with others though. If I recall, the latter portion has the FL joining with the MC more often, but the plot doesn't allow for it early on.

11. Bachingchung

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't make sense since a lil bit facts could make their heads explode. So the ignorance could easily backfire.

12. tranquilmelodies

Reading List:
    Link
    This was only ever shown to be an issue for the magicians and clergymen. It isn't an issue for the layperson that does not have access to any powers. It is also why the Church protected the clergy by revising their texts to fall in line with discoveries made by magicians.

13. Bachingchung

Reading List:
    Link
    It still back fired, like the church is split now because of the constant revision of their sacred text. There's also a new branch in Rentato that advocates peace. They seem fine without killing sorcerers, it's not really necessary.

14. tranquilmelodies

Reading List:
    Link
    As readers we are seeing our own bias and the pov of the sorcerers rather than a corrupted institution that sees sorcerers as both an affront to their beliefs and an attack on their control. So while it may be unnecessary and self-defeating they don't see much of a choice. Lucien flat out attacks their 'beliefs' through knowledge. It is one of the reasons for the invention of the radio and advocating for public education. He encroaches on the realm of god with many of his experiment (e.g. Miller-Urey experiment).

As for the new branch in Rentato. It came about because of Lucien's manipulation of doubt. It was able to continue because the nobility had a vested (economic) interest in the technology that magic brought to life.

Add to this that the Southern Church was tolerant of their existence in Rentato. If they would have went into a full scale war then the Northern Church would have swept in while they were in a weakened position.

A lot of this would be reminiscent of Christian history. Southern and Northern Church is reminiscent to the East-West schism. Rentato would be reminiscent to the Protestant Reformation (more likely, Church of England) . Throughout all religious institutions you will likely find moments of corruption, holy wars, witch trials, various suppression of knowledge.

On one side there is the potential for extremism (holy wars). The counterbalance to that is educating the laypeople.

We may not have as much in terms of religious wars, but it is not as if the push back against scientific progress has gone away.

15. Bachingchung

Reading List:
    Link
    Those are true, but that certain period of the evil sorcerers and ignorant laymen already passed. They're on the golden age already and the church has no other move than kill this and kill that. It's absolutely barbaric. The thing most members with high authority are clearly aware of the truth, so this proves that they can always dupe anyone even without resorting to extreme measures.