LCD Throne of Magical Arcana

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by DeathStroke96, Apr 12, 2017.

1. gangbuntu

gangbuntu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i think it'll go as you predicted
    - lucien didn't want to reveal his elemental order (yet)
    - no mandatory reclycing law
    - this would give him time to improve on his spell
    - once his refined spell is used to recycle he'll have:
    --- lots of cash - royalties paid by factories
    --- lots of arcana points - by sorceress for either research or practical (i.e: deploying said recycling magic circle) purposes

2. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It wasn't a prediction so much as a statement of fact. The reason that companies don't clean up after themselves is because it represents a pure loss of profit. If you look at the oil industry, they've found a way to sell their byproducts to help make asphalt (and I think plastics as well), so they're totally fine with cleaning up after themselves as much as is profitable. So long as Lucien's cleaning circles are cheap enough that the elements they produce will turn a profit, people will be quite happy to use them.

Alternatively, he could just buy everyone's waste and process it. The economies of scale might make the process profitable when it otherwise would not have been. It also might allow him to keep his spell a secret depending on how he handles security. Honestly, even if it only breaks even, the political capital from it would still make it worth doing, and even if there was a slight loss, he could probably get the government to subsidize him to eliminate it so that they could share in that political capital. Though at this point, we're definitely getting into speculation territory since it would depend heavily on politicians acting in a responsible and intelligent manner, which seems to be a very rare thing in reality.

3. gangbuntu

Reading List:
    Link
    far east crude oils are heavy, so asphalt might be considered as the main and oil as (pricier) byproduct.
    * refineries that process light might consider the cost (to make asphalt) outweigh the benefit
    fun facts:
    - indonesia's crude are light, but because the refinement machines (from u.s) are meant for heavy oils, the government exports (hi-grade) light crude and imports heavy crude for domestic use.
    - grasberg mine (freeport-papua-indonesia). is a copper mine but the (gold) byproduct is enough to position it as the largest gold mine in the world.

got your point though: how to turn garbage into something of value.

4. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Conversations are so unnatural and cringy, the author doesn't know shit about western culture or he's an alien still trying to learn how to speak human, or both... Maybe the translator is an alien as well.

5. Sleepy Deer

Sleepy Deer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is such a shame that they keep giving Lucien things to do that they deem trivial that turn into big deals. I bet this one is no different. He should get back at them by writing "the proof is trivial" all over his papers.

6. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if/when he'll return home and hold a concert.

C244: He should have just given Lucien a warning. It's clear that he wasn't doing anyone any harm and that he'd just lost himself in the joy of upgrading to third circle. No need to be a total killjoy. Reminding him of the law and convincing him to return home would have been more than enough to fulfill his responsibilities.

C245: Honestly, I was half expecting them to be skeptical of his usefulness. He's quite young and inexperienced in terms of combat as far as they know. All of his current fame comes from research after all, and his clothes don't exactly scream "ready for battle." Though, I suppose that might mean less in a society with so many magical clothing options.

7. Lokumi

Lokumi 『The second greatest trash of society』

Reading List:
    Link
    While his fame comes from scientific study, in this world knowledge is literally power so I guess arcanist take title given ofr academic very seriously (it's showed by the fact that when they recognize him the first thing they though was "holder of holm prize" and not "middle rank sorcerer in less than a year"), and secondly it's probably know that he was a sorcerer before and that he come from a region under church influence so he should at least know how to flee fast ad have some combat experience

8. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    So France is bacon in this world too?

9. Lokumi

Reading List:
    Link
    What ? :sushi_peak:

10. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    Lokumi likes this.
  11. Lokumi

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no interest in Lucien using combat magic anymore, thus these following action chaps, all he's gonna do is use a bunch of magic artifacts, boring...

13. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    That just makes me feel a bit sorry for the original poster. I somehow doubt he ever expected his little confession to blow up to that extent.

He should also wind up using his personal spells. There was no reason to focus on them as much as the author did otherwise.

14. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    That will be interesting, but in gist it will be author presenting a "dangerous situation" in which Lucien will just keep spamming artifacts in the last second for tension.

15. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I can see where you're coming from, but I still consider clever use of artifacts to be better than suddenly mastering a new spell via plot convenience like he did with that sulfuric wall or whatever it was in the sewer way back when.

jirka642 and Lokumi like this.
  16. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    "How do you want me to call you?"
    Admit it author/translator! You're an alien! No human speaks like that.

17. gangbuntu

Reading List:
    Link
    do you mean the wording or the question itself?

it's a cultural thing; in indonesia a newcomer would be asked "what should i call you?"
    - one might have 1-4 names (such as Andi Go To School), and none of them is surname
    - some prefers to be called by a nick name -- such that many were clueless about his real name
    - when a nick is already taken (by older resident) one might need to pick another.
    - one that refuse to change his nick might get extra postfix: e.g: jojo kw (where kw means fake / knock off)
    - a moslem/muslim (enrolled in a catholic uni) with a western name hates to be called by that -- didn't know him well enough to comfortably ask him why.
    ** not trying to flame here, but if you have creative parents (refer to the link above) you might want to be called something else.

18. Lokumi

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see a problem with the question.

19. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the novel is western style right, and that is not something you ask anyone here. You don't even ask "Hey what's your name?"(unless you're a teacher and have new students and other such exceptions) cause introductions go like A:"Hi I'm X" B: shakes hand and says "Y, nice to meet you". When meeting a group of people ofc you'll forget some names, later you can say sorry I didn't catch your name or sorry I forgot your name, I'm X. When you have a boss for example and you call him Mr. Z, he may then say please just call me Z, or no need to be formal(in my language they say, can we just switch to you, you being the informal You, there's a different word for it). You definitely won't say to your boss how do you want me to call you, so basically that's never a valid question, I mean it's grammatically correct but it's just weird to ask that.
    I suck at explaining stuff but I hope I made my point.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  20. Lokumi

Reading List:
    Link
    French right ?
    Well, I don't really see a problem seeing that he isn't asking his boss but take the position of boss.
    From my pov this question is just the same as "what's your name?", simply written in a weird way, it may be the tl too