Timeline completion & advice on story progression

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Lazriser, Nov 7, 2018.

?

Which C timeline should I focused on until completion?

1. C*1 timeline

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. C*2 timeline

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. C*3 timeline

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. C*4 timeline

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. C*5 timeline

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Before we get to this discussion, I must confirm two things about Author Discussions.
    1. Rules or no-rules?
    2. By author; all authors or only Community Originals authors? All authors include authors from printed or web novels from other websites including Community Originals.
    I will continue under the assumptions this is for all. I simply need a reference and scaling for each setting.
    I have these potential protagonists of their own timelines that are already OP in their later arcs but not boundless.

My problems lie on how to size my world building (background details), and how many characters do I need to input in said world (plot driven) with each protagonist (character driven) desiring something in that world which loosely makeups the next world of another protagonist.

There is also which character should I focused on writing first, because this will decide on how overall world building and stories interconnect. Some protagonist become antagonist in other's timeline so I need careful consideration on which story I complete first. Take note, these characters all exist in the same cosmos (not universe).
    • C - Character (potential protagonist) * Number
    C*1 is raised in a theocracy, and fears, abhors, and pities unclean things and people. C*1's World is based on magical fantasy with hints to C*2's timeline.

C*2 is raised in militaristic household, and is also of royal descent. C*2 is a human supremacist; acknowledges weakness yet seeks to make everyone strong; blames the supernatural for human frailty. C*2's World is based on hybrid magic-science fantasy.

C*3 is raised in village; secretly descended from an ancient lineage that started the course of events in C*3's World. C*3 is weaker than most yet diligent, compassionate, and braver than most while also being a perfectionist. C*3's World is based on a hybrid magic-science fantasy with hints to C*2's timeline.

C*4 is raised in poverty yet happy with family. C*4 is an unfortunate soul deemed unwanted, useless, and unworthy to most in town except C*4's family. A tragedy befalls C*4's family that resulted in C*4 cursing all things magical while having an extreme fear of women as C*4 is on genocide path to those responsible of causing the tragedy. C*4's World is based on magical fantasy with hints to C*1 timeline.

C*5 is raised in common household and dies an uncommon death. C*5 becomes something otherworldly with other characters that also died uncommonly. C*5 by standards is someone who regrets a lot even after death who is always rejecting everything and everyone including C*5. C*5's mentality creates a very twisted ability which turns the gears of C*5 World in the worst possible scenario. C*5's World is based on a modern fantasy with hints to C*4's timeline.
    These are the current characters I am very inclined to write about. Before you advised me with the problems I stated; please state which character's story should I focused on first, and add the solutions to the problems I should follow in that character's story.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Beltran likes this.
  2. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you ever watched Cloud Atlas?

Why don't you make the story as a grand epic interconnected story?

For example:

C1 intro --> a part of C1 story is being read/or narrated to C2, C2 began his story --> a part of C2 story is being read/or narrated to C3, C3 began his story --> repeat until C5. (MID STORY) C5 get into a trouble then someone narrate/ or he read about what happened to C4 --> C4 get into conflict and remember how C3 deal with a problem --> repeat until C1 --> C1 reach conclusion --> C2 reach conclusion --> C3 reach conclusion --> C4 reach conclusion --> C5 reach GRAND conclusion --> END

Or a grand narrator Karmic story:

Narrator narrates C1 life, how a single 'heroic' action of C1 caused changes/problem in C2, C2 to C3 and on. Until they get into a HUGE problem.
    Then the Narrator continues the narration, how when C1 does an 'evil' action, it was instead something that helps C2 solved his problem, and so on.
    So even a heroic act can cause suffering in the future, and an evil act may bring salvation down the line.

Or just do Spirit Cycle style.

Cascadian Rex likes this.
  3. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    It hard to give advice when I totally dont know what the story will be
    but c*2 look nice and his goal (upgrading humans) click nice with c*3 (c*2 could learn something in "this" way or "another" about bloodlines) and c*4 from the looks of it will go full muscle and anti-magic (if c*4 is human c*2 will probably be interested in him for better or worse)
    If you do it rights c*2 could be realy good protagonist (hero that make humans great) or antagonist (tyran that made humans great)
    Edit: writing is hard
    Edit:c*2 have realy good reasons to team up or go against others c* just to observe and learn

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Beltran likes this.
  4. OceanMagix

OceanMagix Catnapping periodically. Existence is oblivious

Reading List:
    Link
    Ships that passes by each other...

5. Beltran

Beltran Seafarer

Reading List:
    Link
    I was choosing between C4, C2 and C1 because their point of view is quite interesting to me (maybe I just like dark mc... I dunno).

I immediately eliminated C5 because it seems so cliché and it doesn't have much depth. I next removed C3 because I don't like nice characters. The ancient lineage thing is quite interesting but without a deeper context of how important this is, it doesn't sway me enough.

I like the supremist mindview of C2 but I think his aim of making others strong might be detrimental to his own growth. Next, I like C1's quirk. That hypocritical hate for unclean things is a nice way to create a twisted character. But I believe that it's a challenging thing to maintain that vibe as you go along the story.

So yeah, I picked C4. I like his background. It's one of those "you can't take away anything from a man who has nothing at all" vibe. I kinda dislike the extreme fear of women factor. Maybe because I don't know much about the story, but it seems unnecessary.

Tl'dr: C4 because I wanna see chaos.

6. bidoblob

bidoblob Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My advice is to write about what you can when you can. Even if you decide on one character, don't get stuck because you're forcing yourself to write about him because you (or that poll) think he's best, try a different one if you get stuck.
    Also, when writing parallel stories that are one story, remember to try and be consistent and try to remember that it's sometimes just the same scenes, but with different perspectives. As for amount of characters, the general rule is: One main character/protagonist, one or a few supporting characters and an antagonist. And then a bunch of small side characters that only appear once or so.
    That said, rather than a general rule, it's more like what's common to have.
    Edit: fixed a comma replaced by a space by this annoying text editor. welp

Lazriser likes this.
  7. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, never heard of it. A grand interconnected story? I am incapable of such skill, but I am planning to complete one story first to avoid loopholes or loose ends. After completing one protagonist' story, I continue on with the next story (novel). 5 characters with each timeline a novel interconnected to other novel. As for karmic narration, the premise of the cosmos (not universe) is centered around karma as a value which affects the story mid-way or at the end. My current problems are only how big or small should I focused the geography and at least how many characters should I input in that story. I already have plans for factions and systems used at some levels though.
    C*2 is quite the charismatic character but this heavily depends on how I execute his characterization and growth in the story. C*3 is somewhat connected to C*2 timeline but as stated in C*2 scenario: C*2 blames the supernatural and C*3 bloodline is supernatural in nature, so there will be opposition. C*4 is not muscle or anti-magical at all, rather C*4's story is quite discriminating against a particular lineage of women, and the tragedy is what causes C*4 fears and rejection of femininity. C*2 and C*4 would get along well, indeed. Yeah, writing is hard.
    C*4 is a dark fantasy of sorts. There will be chaos as it is the premise and theme of C*4's genocide on a female lineage C*4 will forever seek to eliminate. Imagine Goblin Slayer, except the protagonist is hunting something else. C*5 is quite generic but the ability is something connected to C*4's timeline.

Beltran likes this.
  8. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    Continuing my "science upgrading" you could always make c*2 be an antagonistic to c*3 (with c*2 goal being inventing anti-supernatural/lineage, magic/devices/something that will help humanity)
    And it dawn on me that c*2 could do really morally bad things "for humanity"

9. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Question 1
    Rules should not be necessary. There's the description and hopefully, everyone reads the freaking description.

Question 2
    The section is for all, even if you've only toyed with the idea of writing but never penned a single word outside of a classroom.

As for the other questions, sorry, I can't picture the story or how the character work in that story, so I can't give any suggestion on that.